Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Reasons to be positive in Waterford, eh????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I swear if a combined eco-friendly, vegan based oxygen creating combined diamond and gold mine was found some here would talk it down if it wasn't owned by a communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

sillysocks wrote: »
    Great to hear new companies setting up but 1,500 sounds pie in the sky. Have heard so many times of big announcements and if you followed the company only a fraction of the announced jobs are ever actually created.
    There’s probably not even offices in Waterford that could accommodate that many workers!
    Would love to be proved wrong in a few years time.

There always seemed to be a huge amount of vacant space in Railway Square but it has been a while since I was there. Also the offices behind the Motor Mile are almost completely vacant. Is there anyone in the old AOL offices also on the Motor Mile? Possibly they could consider building to spec, lots of room out on the IDA park near the Holy Cross. I'm sure Frisby would be willing to listen to proposals for the Crystal site. Or maybe even an anchor tenant on the NQs?

Accommodation will be way down the list of problems compared with recruiting suitable staff. Even at that, I would say there are thousands of people dying to cash in their Dublin chips and go somewhere they can breathe.Can we not give any proposal a chance to fly without nit-picking.

I hear there is a big empty space in Ferrybank just across the county line. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I hear there is a big empty space in Ferrybank. Just saying.

Quickly, build a wall, before kilkenny get wind of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Don’t get me wrong, I do think it’s great to have a new company opening, and lovely to see a Waterford person giving their own city a chance. Even if they only created 100 new jobs it’d be great and a new skill set rather than continued pharmaceutical etc. It is a positive story but I just think these stories should be reported more realistically!

The CEO was on Deise AM and said they will be getting serious regarding space in a couple of months. Is that Supervalu/Musgraves site at the Six Cross Roads still empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The CEO was on Deise AM and said they will be getting serious regarding space in a couple of months. Is that Supervalu/Musgraves site at the Six Cross Roads still empty?

The Range are occupying the bit Musgraves don't

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I swear if a combined eco-friendly, vegan based oxygen creating combined diamond and gold mine was found some here would talk it down if it wasn't owned by a communist.

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Likely not the best place but Business Post on Sunday said new hospital group been looked at which will include UHW so likely SE Grouping.

S and SW group apparently strongly trying to keep UHW within the group.

• Advertisement

A bit more on this Woodbrook crowd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/cyprus-based-woodbrook-plots-irish-health-and-life-insurance-entry-1.3761887
    Woodbrook aims to file an application for authorisation with the Central Bank of Ireland by the end of March and is due to hold initial talks with IDA Ireland representatives “over the coming weeks”, he said, adding that the total investment may reach €100 million.

Mr Doherty said he had secured funding from private-equity firms for the project, but declined to name them.

Last month, Woodbrook acquired US-based NHPI, which was once quoted on the Nasdaq but is now traded on a penny stocks platform. The company is planning to build the combined entity up to a market value of $50 million (€44 million) and secure a Nasdaq listing, said Mr Doherty (45).

Glanbia have announced a major investment at Belview for cheese production. 80 jobs and 100 for the construction phase (more cranes! ;))

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0122/1024728-glanbia-ireland-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Glanbia have announced a major investment at Belview for cheese production. 80 jobs and 100 for the construction phase (more cranes! ;))

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0122/1024728-glanbia-ireland-jobs/

Great news indeed...nice one HP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Max Powers wrote: »
    Great news indeed...nice one HP

Outsourcing! When it happened in Kilmeadan people weren't too happy but in all reality it's the name of the game!

Please have a quite word without yourself about your life and why you spend even a moment of it posting such comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Outsourcing! When it happened in Kilmeadan people weren't too happy but in all reality it's the name of the game!

You don't think your name is a misnomer?

Please have a quite word without yourself about your life and why you spend even a moment of it posting such comments.

Was it something I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Lots of International visitors to Waterford in July for the GAA World Games.

Record smashed as 31 teams head for Ireland in July
    The 2016 record entry of 14 teams will more than double as 31 teams from Europe have entered the 3rd edition of the GAA World Games, sponsored by RENAULT, which takes place in Ireland between July 29 and August 2. Europe will be represented in every category with 10 teams representing specific countries/regions (Brittany, France, Galicia, Gascony, Germany and Italy) as well as 21 teams composed of 300+ players from clubs across the continent who applied to play before last week’s deadline.

According to GGE chairman, Tony Bass, ‘the most pleasing aspect of this news is that over 70% of our teams will be composed of indigenous players reflecting the tremendous growth in the number of native born Gaelic footballers, hurlers and camogs across Europe”.

There will be 22 teams composed of ‘Non-Irish’ born players with another nine teams of mostly ‘Irish born’ players (‘non-Irish born’ players can also play in these categories). The largest European contingent will be in the men’s football competitions with 13 teams who will be joined by 11 ladies football teams, 4 hurling and 3 camogie teams.

Teams will initially be based in Waterford city with the official opening parade through the city taking place on Sunday, July 28th. Group games and knockout stages will be played from Monday to Thursday at the Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) campus. The action then moves to Dublin where the top two teams in each category will contest ‘Cup’ finals in Croke Park on Friday (Aug 2).

That proposed fast food joint opposite the RSC soccer/football stadium has been given the go ahead. 60 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That proposed fast food joint opposite the RSC soccer/football stadium has been given the go ahead. 60 jobs.

is that supermacs?

• Advertisement

Yes, looks like it.

More obesity outlets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

More obesity outlets!

It's an ideal location near the college and on the road in and out of town. Not great for your health, but better to go there than the crowd they recently won a court battle over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

More obesity outlets!

I genuinely hope you are a troll and not really that negative in real life as that must be so depressing to literally see the negative in everything that happens in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

lassykk wrote: »
    I genuinely hope you are a troll and not really that negative in real life as that must be so depressing to literally see the negative in everything that happens in the world

Just ignore him and watch him get more and more desperate for attention in his posts until someone replies, sad really

lassykk wrote: »

The news is full of stories of overweight children and adults and they are opening
    up more fast food outlets! I'm not negative but I have a more open mindedness to a lot of things but I can smell the bull sheet too!

Quite an amount of manure being spread in this county in which we could grow
    crops and crops of potatoes and flog them to Super Macs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just ignore him and watch him get more and more desperate for attention in his posts until someone replies, sad really

I normally do but I genuinely would worry about anyone that negative in their outlook in life. It's not a healthy way to live be it online or in an anonymous forum.

Will go back to ignoring now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I cant ****ing wait for Supermacs drive-thru to open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a Nandos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The news is full of stories of overweight children and adults and they are opening
    up more fast food outlets! I'm not negative but I have a more open mindedness to a lot of things but I can smell the bull sheet too!

Quite an amount of manure being spread in this county in which we could grow
    crops and crops of potatoes and flog them to Super Macs!

So we should stop opening fast food outlets because some people have problems with food and aren’t brought up eating everything in moderation?

Right

Advertisement