Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

914 wrote: »
    I guess its all to do with perception. Lack of cranes in the skies and people feel not much is happening.

Yeah ...... when their daily lives get disrupted by traffic chaos, limited access to some locations etc. due to regeneration and building works the attitude will change a lot I expect. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know whats going into the old daybreak shop on Hennessey's Road?,they have been clearing it out the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Anyone know whats going into the old daybreak shop on Hennessey's Road?,they have been clearing it out the past few weeks

I think there's planning permission for a Chinese there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

They've been at that since the start of the year, it's not progressing that quickly tbh. Looks to be a Chinese/Asian family so perhaps a restaurant, maybe a shop, maybe bit of both. Did see kitchen equipment being delivered so definitely some catering element involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Lovely. More fast food.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Lovely. More fast food.

Its Hennessys Road like. What do you want? Foie gras and caviar? You make me look like Mr Positive in comparison boy.lol

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Its Hennessys Road like. What do you want? Foie gras and caviar? You make me look like Mr Positive in comparison boy.lol

Lobster at least

Lobster at least

They prob do a nice prawn. Like mini lobsters.

They prob do a nice prawn. Like mini lobsters.

Are you sure they are not just far away?

Are you sure they are not just far away?
    No. They're just very very very very very very Very small lobsters.

• Advertisement

Lovely. More fast food.

Supermacs drive-thru finally granted planning permission on the Cork Road :D

Nice one only took them 13 years.

Nice one only took them 13 years.

It will be worth the wait kid

It will be worth the wait kid

Good tack lad

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭IanVW

I thought planning wasnt approved and had to be reapplied for?

IanVW wrote: »
    I thought planning wasnt approved and had to be reapplied for?

Yes the new planning application was approved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭914

IBM purchase Red Hat for $34 billion! Hopefully this could br positive for its waterford location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I misread that as 34 million! :o

How much of that is in cash I wonder? Any? Spend spend spend :)

Do IBM have plants in Dublin? Yes

What type? R&D

Could be worrying rather than good news.

Must have been in the pipeline for a while. Can't be that worrying. I have an interview there soon and I know they have a lot of roles they're currently hiring for in Waterford specifically.

I misread that as 34 million! :o

How much of that is in cash I wonder? Any? Spend spend spend :)

Do IBM have plants in Dublin? Yes

What type? R&D

Could be worrying rather than good news.

All cash purchase from what I read. Paid $190 per share at $118 market value.

• Advertisement

All cash? IBM are not what they used to be, must have been saving for this.

More tech news and very interesting for it's application in eye care.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/11/27/78205/
    CREST (Central Retinal Enrichment Supplementation Trials) was undertaken by the Macular Pigment Research Group at the Nutrition Research Centre Ireland (NRCI) within the School of Health Science at Waterford Institute of Technology’s West Campus in Carriganore.

CREST measured the impact of supplementation with three plant pigments known as carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin) on visual performance and blindness. 105 of the participants had no evidence or history of eye disease while 121 had the early stages of age-related macular degeneration (AMD, the world’s leading cause of blindness).

Prof Nolan said he was delighted to be invited: “I see this as a really important recognition for all of the work that has been done by a great group of people focused on the nutrition of the eye. It’s a real honour to be selected as one of only two Irish-based projects – and only 16 in total – to be presented.

“The conference will be a great chance to celebrate some of what has been achieved through European investment in scientific research and I look forward not only to flying the Waterford flag by presenting our own work from the NRCI, but to having the opportunity to highlight the impact and return this work offers in real-time to society,” he continued.

“It is remarkable that we have identified, through the use of natural, safe and cost-effective nutritional pigments, ways to enhance visual function in the general population, and for those with AMD. The fact that the ‘blue-sky’ research idea conducted as part of this unique European programme was successful, represents a unique opportunity for government and healthcare professionals to now implement this proven nutritional strategy to improve quality of life and reduce costs associated with AMD.”

Not worth it's own thread (yet!) but potentially good news

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/12/11/79368/
    A Cyprus-based financial services company plans to create 1,500 jobs in Waterford and the South East.

Woodbrook Group – which was founded by Waterford native Michael Doherty – is to set up its Irish Headquarters in Waterford City next year.

It’s preparing to enter the Irish market, with plans to establish a life insurance and health insurance company here as part of a 100 million euro investment.

The company says it has the potential to create up to 1,500 jobs over the next four years.

CEO Michael Doherty says it’s part of an ambitious global expansion:

The 45-year-old Waterford man says he believes Waterford is “the right place, at the right time” for the planned investment: “With the regeneration of the North Quays and a number of other exciting developments, Waterford is on the cusp of great transformative change. Waterford and the South East offers great potential for companies such as Woodbrook and over the coming months I will be engaging with local stakeholders with a view to establishing our operation here.”

https://woodbrookgroup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not worth it's own thread (yet!) but potentially good news

More wealth extraction, we re in desperate need of wealth capturing mechanisms and policies in order to redistribute the wealth created from such ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/financial-advisory-founded-by-irishman-gears-up-for-nasdaq-listing-1.3720070

Lots of jobs for eager young wannabe 'Wolf of Wall St.' types sitting in their pinstriped suits phoning anyone and everyone from their new offices on the North Quays, trying to sign people up for savings plans, pensions etc. to earn commission to supplement their minimum wage basic salaries; Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/financial-advisory-founded-by-irishman-gears-up-for-nasdaq-listing-1.3720070

Lots of jobs for eager young wannabe 'Wolf of Wall St.' types sitting in their pinstriped suits phoning anyone and everyone from their new offices on the North Quays, trying to sign people up for savings plans, pensions etc. to earn commission to supplement their minimum wage basic salaries; Yes?

Or....good jobs coming to the area for a change?

hardybuck wrote: »

Or....good jobs coming to the area for a change?
    Exactly. And approve or not, these "Wolf of Wall St wannabees" will likely buy overpriced coffees, sandwiches etc. want meals, after work cocktails, somewhere to supply said pin stripe suits. How does anybody lose here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Great to hear new companies setting up but 1,500 sounds pie in the sky. Have heard so many times of big announcements and if you followed the company only a fraction of the announced jobs are ever actually created.
    There’s probably not even offices in Waterford that could accommodate that many workers!
    Would love to be proved wrong in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Exactly. And approve or not, these "Wolf of Wall St wannabees" will likely buy overpriced coffees, sandwiches etc. want meals, after work cocktails, somewhere to supply said pin stripe suits. How does anybody lose here?

I always find a lack of quality tailors in Waterford, but that Arch Cafe place is among the best coffee I've ever had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

sillysocks wrote: »
    Great to hear new companies setting up but 1,500 sounds pie in the sky. Have heard so many times of big announcements and if you followed the company only a fraction of the announced jobs are ever actually created.
    There’s probably not even offices in Waterford that could accommodate that many workers!
    Would love to be proved wrong in a few years time.

100% agree. Would love for this to be real but I find myself getting more cynical with the passing years. 1,500 jobs; may as well have told us 15,000.
    But we live in hope.:rolleyes:

Advertisement