Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

pinkstars wrote: »
    Anyone think I am mad to buy this phone outright or is it worth it?

I have the S3 but NNNEEEEEEEEEEED the S4. But not due an upgrade!!!

Try and get the o2 one for 498 and use your current sim then sell your S3 for 300

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I am getting the same. Did you get it to work with the UPC box yet ? you know what type of box it is ?

This is the problem.. dont know what the type of box it is either. Because you dont know what box it is, like me, you probably said your tv receives your channels. Then the options come up and the device controls my tv.. but sure i dont get channels through the tv so it just moves between blank channels as i scroll through the list.

If we figure out how to get the box type i think we would be laughing. Seems handy little feature if it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Try and get the o2 one for 498 and use your current sim then sell your S3 for 300

I'm with 3. Carphone warehouse will give me €250 for Samsung s3 but I am still paying €500. Mad?

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is the problem.. dont know what the type of box it is either. Because you dont know what box it is, like me, you probably said your tv receives your channels. Then the options come up and the device controls my tv.. but sure i dont get channels through the tv so it just moves between blank channels as i scroll through the list.

If we figure out how to get the box type i think we would be laughing. Seems handy little feature if it worked

pulled apart the UPC box and seem the word THOMSON on the back of it. 'Made by THOMSON in EU' so i went with that and it worked. I can use it now as a remote for the upc box, pretty handy and responsive to be honest. I cant get recommended content or channels though. Only remote functionality so far im afraid.. anybody gets any further post up how here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Whats the used/running RAM amount in the S4? (as in how much of the 2GB is being used up by the S-stuff)

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if you buy from O2 is the phone unlocked to any network?

My sister got an upgrade of an iphone 5 yesterday (for free) she wanted the Samsung Galaxy S3 which I have so she is going to try to change the phone today as she can't see the iphone screen anyway, and so I will pay for the upgrade and she can take my Galaxy S3 and I'll have the S4...

Can anyone tell me if it is unlocked to any network?

Would save me trading my S3 in with the carphone warehouse and spending €500 instead of a hundred odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

How much do you get by trading in your S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    pulled apart the UPC box and seem the word THOMSON on the back of it. 'Made by THOMSON in EU' so i went with that and it worked. I can use it now as a remote for the upc box, pretty handy and responsive to be honest. I cant get recommended content or channels though. Only remote functionality so far im afraid.. anybody gets any further post up how here

Sorry only saw these messages now, yea the box I have at home is a Thomson and I can change the channels fine. But my problem is that when I select UPC Ireland as my provider all I get is a list of Dutch or maybe Swiss channels. I'd say it has something to do with UPC over here not providing the right information because I tried it on my parents sky box and it works flawlessly. Hopefully it will be something that gets sorted out soon.

Knine wrote: »
    How much do you get by trading in your S3?

It's €250 in the Carphone Warehouse

apope8 wrote: »
    Sorry only saw these messages now, yea the box I have at home is a Thomson and I can change the channels fine. But my problem is that when I select UPC Ireland as my provider all I get is a list of Dutch or maybe Swiss channels. I'd say it has something to do with UPC over here not providing the right information because I tried it on my parents sky box and it works flawlessly. Hopefully it will be something that gets sorted out soon.

Yeah im annoyed at that myself.. will try it when i get to somebody who has sky i'd say its great when its up and running.

If i do make any progress SOMEHOW ill lash it up here.

Would also like to hear of any more tips and tricks people are using their S4 for. At the moment, the extent of mine is NFC tags but that is nothing new

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

When I opened up the auld HTC Desire HD 2 years ago, it had a lovely "Import everything from your old phone" functionality, copying contacts etc.

I don't see anything like that on the S4 so far.
    Would've been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Sorry if already mentioned but is the S4 quad core or octa core?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

When I opened up the auld HTC Desire HD 2 years ago, it had a lovely "Import everything from your old phone" functionality, copying contacts etc.

I don't see anything like that on the S4 so far.
    Would've been nice.

Have you logged in with your Gmail account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

mathie wrote: »
    Sorry if already mentioned but is the S4 quad core or octa core?

Quad core.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I also went the O2 route (three customer here) and ordered using the 20% discount code! Bought it just to see what Android is like these days. Have an iPhone 5 so I'll probably sell either the iPhone or the Samsung depending on how good it is.

Ordered on wednesday night and it arrived today - well, I say arrived - An post dropped the collection slip in my door at half 8 this morning. Despite me being home, lights on, car in the drive etc. So can't collect it now until after lunch and I'm off to a wedding!

At least it's sim free though!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Anyone else notice that you cant add widgets to the lock screen if there is any sort of security lock on it. It only seems to let you add when you have the swipe lock enabled. That is very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Have you logged in with your Gmail account?

No, not yet.
    But I haven't synched all my contacts with GMail in general either.
    Call me paranoid, but GMail have enough info about my e-mail, without giving them my phone contacts and extensive calendar items too.

I'll try the old reliable freeware, MyPhoneExplorer, backing up the old phone and restoring the contacts & calendar on the S4.

MyPhoneExplorer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

funkyflea wrote: »
    I also went the O2 route (three customer here) and ordered using the 20% discount code! Bought it just to see what Android is like these days. Have an iPhone 5 so I'll probably sell either the iPhone or the Samsung depending on how good it is.

Ordered on wednesday night and it arrived today - well, I say arrived - An post dropped the collection slip in my door at half 8 this morning. Despite me being home, lights on, car in the drive etc. So can't collect it now until after lunch and I'm off to a wedding!

At least it's sim free though!

What discount code?

No, not yet.
    But I haven't synched all my contacts with GMail in general either.
    Call me paranoid, but GMail have enough info about my e-mail, without giving them my phone contacts and extensive calendar items too.

I'll try the old reliable freeware, MyPhoneExplorer, backing up the old phone and restoring the contacts & calendar on the S4.

MyPhoneExplorer

Don't worry....I've been your guinea pig for the last 4-5 years, using google to sync my contact and calendar appointments. I have transferred between probably 10 different devices without ever losing a contact or appointment.

Google haven't done anything to make me concerned, although my phone numbers and appointments don't have anything to hide.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Im with meteor 15 months into an 18 month contract with the sgs2 and its been acting up on me recently (freezing,battery running out quicky etc.) so i went over today and asked about upgrading sooner and the lad in the shop said yeah ring up customer care and tell them that ill stay with meteor if they upgrade me now or else they will lose me when my contracts up which i said to them on the phone but they weren't having any of it and said i cant upgrade till 11th july....Anything else i can do?

• Advertisement

markc91 wrote: »
    Im with meteor 15 months into an 18 month contract with the sgs2 and its been acting up on me recently (freezing,battery running out quicky etc.) so i went over today and asked about upgrading sooner and the lad in the shop said yeah ring up customer care and tell them that ill stay with meteor if they upgrade me now or else they will lose me when my contracts up which i said to them on the phone but they weren't having any of it and said i cant upgrade till 11th july....Anything else i can do?

drop your current contract down to lowest possible tariff (can you do that with meteor?), then take out a new contract.

I'm the proud owner of a new S4 ♥

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Stinicker wrote: »

Thats not bloatware....Its called features...

Suppose Windows is full of bloatware too...who d hell ever uses the calculator or paint...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Looks like this phone is full of bloatware

root and bye bye bloat

oh and then add a micro-sd card

wheres the problem?
    Glad I'm on Apple! :P

:pac: Guess the joke's on you then fashionista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

You keep telling yourself that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Everyone probally already knows about it but here's a trick i just found out,

On the home screen as per normal use 1 finger to pull down the notification bar.
    But if you use two fingers it pulls down the screen with all the widgets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Called into 3 today and can get the same contract as I am on for 24 months with unlimited data and get the phone for 89 euro, not bad! Only decision is White or Black!?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I went for a black one. I had intended to get a white one, but then was thinking to a friends iphone which looked a bit yellowish after a year or two. Probably have a cast on it anyway, so it's only the bezel on the front you'll be seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I was going to the get a case for it anyway - suppose it makes no difference. Black probably ages better

Advertisement