Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

Have asked a few times, but no replay....does anyone have a case on the phone?

Does it affect using quick controls in browser with the bezel being so small?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That doesnt look all that bad! I wrapped my S2 in a casemate, but it appears otterbox seems to be the up and coming case maker.

Anyone got a case for theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So just to clarify the air swipe and air touch gestures only work with certain apps?

For instance it works with the stock music player when changing tracks but not with google music app?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Went home to collect my S4 today, started it up and.... it's locked to o2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Just wondering can you walk into O2 or the car phone warehouse and buy the s4 and have it the same day ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Went into Meteor today to upgrade to iPhone 5 and came out with a Galaxy S4, got to say im impressed so far! Whats annoying though is they dont give you any screen protectors in the box!

Havin a clue how this smart that and smart this features work so far, screen is brilliant, starting up is worse then starting up a new laptop all these sign in screens!

all in all its a serious phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just wondering can you walk into O2 or the car phone warehouse and buy the s4 and have it the same day ??

Depends where. Some might be sold out. But you should be.

Nearly bought one myself today, but it's still expensive even with 10% off and not really worth it coming from a note 2

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I have a casemate case on my phone it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I was about to buy S4 today, but apparently the second and third batches are locked and bloatware added. Is that true? They wouldn't open one for me to check. I'm not worried about phone being locked but the bloatware would bother me. Anyone bought one very recently? Any difference between CPW and Vodafone directly? Very disappointed btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can you not root the phone if its locked?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

kave2 wrote: »
    I was about to buy S4 today, but apparently the second and third batches are locked and bloatware added. Is that true? They wouldn't open one for me to check. I'm not worried about phone being locked but the bloatware would bother me. Anyone bought one very recently? Any difference between CPW and Vodafone directly? Very disappointed btw.

I brought one thursday in cpw and it was sim free,I'd that lot could be gone niw though,did you try cpw?

Same stuff. As said the second batch of the phones is now in and they would have a higher chance of being locked or have "value adding" applications :)

Though that only applies for VF and 3 right now :P

I brought one thursday in cpw and it was sim free,I'd that lot could be gone niw though,did you try cpw?

I was told the same in both CPW and Vodafone Store, they are on second or third batch already. It could be the still the same, but they won't tell me "oh, its unlocked and bloatware free", they are not supposed to tell that to customers.
    Hopefully there would be someone here who can verify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Go to cpw they are nearly all sim free,if your box has cpw wrote in biro on it,its sim free.
    They do this with lots of phones so they can cross sell.:D

Same stuff. As said the second batch of the phones is now in and they would have a higher chance of being locked or have "value adding" applications :)

Though that only applies for VF and 3 right now :P

So what you say is CPW ones should be bloatware and sim free?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Go to cpw they are nearly all sim free,if your box has cpw wrote in biro on it,its sim free.
    They do this with lots of phones so they can cross sell.:D

Sorry for being thick but what do you mean by that? Any other way to check? Serial number?

Sorry for being thick but what do you mean by that? Any other way to check? Serial number?

CPW get lots of phones sim free so they can sell on all networks,thats where i get all my phones,they have cpw wrote in pen on the box to differentiate between locked models and sim free models.My S4 and htc one where sim free.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    CPW get lots of phones sim free so they can sell on all networks,thats where i get all my phones,they have cpw wrote in pen on the box to differentiate between locked models and sim free models.My S4 and htc one where sim free.

I get you now. Thanks for clarifying. I'll will have to check again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I was talking to what I think was a pretty honest guy in Carephone warehouse yday in Liffey Valley. He said he cannot tell whether they are sim free or not until they open the box. How true that is I don't know

• Advertisement

I was talking to what I think was a pretty honest guy in Carephone warehouse yday in Liffey Valley. He said he cannot tell whether they are sim free or not until they open the box. How true that is I don't know

Well they cant guarantee you that, there are some CPW marked phones that are locked :) So if you buy it, and its SIM-Free its a bonus :)

I wouldn't count on it being unlocked, but its always a bonus :P

I'm sure there is plenty of people about here that could have some boxes to prove it.

I don't mind if its locked, what would bother me is the bloatware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

I don't mind if its locked, what would bother me is the bloatware.

Can you not just delete bloatware? Excuse my ignorance
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks

Only with root.

ED E wrote: »
    Only with root.

Are you sure? By default, you can disable apps on jelly bean. I disabled all vodafone junk before I rooted. It's not completely deleted, but near enough.

Thanks

I will just flash unbranded rom, official UK BTU one. Unlock via Vodafone. I'm definitely getting it tomorrow. Cannot wait.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    Are you sure? By default, you can disable apps on jelly bean. I disabled all vodafone junk before I rooted. It's not completely deleted, but near enough.

There still would be vodafone start up screen.

I will just flash unbranded rom, official UK BTU one. Unlock via Vodafone. I'm definitely getting it tomorrow. Cannot wait.

There still would be vodafone start up screen.

Very true. If that annoys you, just flash TrickDroid :cool:

So got my S4 today, Vodafone PAYG and its locked and 5 vodafone apps(no start up screen) Already asked for unlock code. Downloading official UK BTU rom and will probably flash it. Anyone flashed that rom? Is that going to make any difference apart from getting rid of that vodafone crap? Just to get unlock code and I am happy.

How do you set up the Watch On app? Is asking for set top box brand, anyone know UPC hd box brand? // never mind. It is Cisco, works great, TV, Box, AV receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Is WatchOn just a remote control app. Can i stream from my Samsung TV like i can with my S3 and smart view?

Advertisement