Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one have a Samsung Smart TV to try out screen mirroring?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

What kind of cases do you guys have? I'm thinking about Spigen Slim Armor. Haven't used case for ages, I always got those full body protectors but this time I am thinking to get a proper case.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/samsung/galaxy-s4-cases/galaxy-s4-case-slim-armor.html
    Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protector is great, used it on my Note 2. Will get it again for S4.

Any one have a Samsung Smart TV to try out screen mirroring?

How do you do it? Don't you need the smart dongle for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

kave2 wrote: »
    How do you do it? Don't you need the smart dongle for it?

I dont know, remember seeing Screen Mirroring as being one of its features.

I can Play Content over WiFi already, but cant screen mirror with my Note.
    Not sure is that a TV limitation or a phone limitation (even though the streaming part seems to suck on my WiFi network, unless your playing low resolution videos)

I have a MHL adaptor, but there seems to be a latency when doing anything. Not like mirroring, more like copying... Tried two different MHL adapters already and they both suck, especially in games. (Samsung Official & Chinese)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I've seen a couple of meteor s4's so far, all have had no bloat and running UK BTU XXUAMDM software, not sure as to network lock status though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hi All,

Got my S4 last week, really loving it, but i noticed that Google Services are draining the battery quite a bit , i restarted the phone and all was well for a few hours, then it started back up.
    It seems to be waking the phone up dozens of times over the night

Anybody know whats causing this?

pmgvls0.png

[Edit] Jeez thats a huge screen shot [/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Play store updating apps.

Ive had problems before where the play store would "get stuck" downloading an update and burn a **** ton of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Google now can be another culprit, disable it if you dont use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm keeping an eye on it now , normally the battery life on this thing is amazing i got through a solid 20 hours of heavy use, though when you find out it used 20% during the night its a pain.

Hopefully its something i can nail down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'm keeping an eye on it now , normally the battery life on this thing is amazing i got through a solid 20 hours of heavy use, though when you find out it used 20% during the night its a pain.

Hopefully its something i can nail down

After the initial battery hit from spending the first day downloading & setting up apps, I got a little under 3 full days of battery life over the weekend. Great battery life.

Also, very fast connections to Wifi ( compared to the HTC Desire HD ).
    Got an extra 50Gb of DropBox storage now too, after setting it up.

The 13Mp camera is "okay"... not sure what I was expecting.
    It was a bit fuzzy in low room lighting.
    I've attached a sample shot from Bray over the weekend.. Photo Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

After the initial battery hit from spending the first day downloading & setting up apps, I got a little under 3 full days of battery life over the weekend. Great battery life.

Also, very fast connections to Wifi ( compared to the HTC Desire HD ).
    Got an extra 50Gb of DropBox storage now too, after setting it up.

The 13Mp camera is "okay"... not sure what I was expecting.
    It was a bit fuzzy in low room lighting.
    I've attached a sample shot from Bray over the weekend.. Photo Link

My battery life is fairly bad compared to that!

What are some ways you save on battery?
    I have the screen brightness fairly dim, cancel all the apps when I'm finished with them by holding the front button down, I have 4 widgets on the home screen, when I'm away from WiFi i turn it off and turn data on and visa verse. All i have on on the status bar is Sound/power saving/Air gesture/Smart Stay/Sync.

I have it fully charged in the morning and need to charge again by 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I have the screen brightness fairly dim, cancel all the apps when I'm finished with them by holding the front button down, I have 4 widgets on the home screen, when I'm away from WiFi i turn it off and turn data on and visa verse. All i have on on the status bar is Sound/power saving/Air gesture/Smart Stay/Sync.

Less widgets equals less battery drain. Simple as. If you can't do without them, so into the settings for them and either turn off automatic updating or push it out so that theres a good while between refreshes.

Juice Defender is a pretty handy app too. You can set it up so that it kills your data connection any time the screen is off. Try that out and you should see a big difference.

You're doing about all you can realistically do without turning your smart phone into a dumb phone. Anyone who gets 2-3 days use out of the phone would be only getting 3-4 hours of screen on time, so would be a light user and would get fairly good battery life out of any phone.

Unfortunately, Samoleds are dim screens anyway, so to dim them any further only helps if you're always inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Basil3 wrote: »
    Anyone who gets 2-3 days use out of the phone would be only getting 3-4 hours of screen on time, so would be a light user and would get fairly good battery life out of any phone.

+1 to this.

It's all about screen time really. I could easily get a couple days on standby from mine if I did nothing with it. In the year that I've had the S3 (sorry, I know this is an S4 thread, but I'm watching it cos I'm thinking of upgrading), I've gotten anything from 10-12 hours up to 40 hours between charges. But in all of those cases, the screen time has been consistently around 3.5 hours between charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Less widgets equals less battery drain. Simple as. If you can't do without them, so into the settings for them and either turn off automatic updating or push it out so that theres a good while between refreshes.

Juice Defender is a pretty handy app too. You can set it up so that it kills your data connection any time the screen is off. Try that out and you should see a big difference.

Great, Thanks for your help I'll try those things, The only widget i have now is Email and i have to set it to push instantly as i need it for work. and I'll try that app too.

Completely new to Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

As expected:
    "Galaxy S4 Cyanogenmod first nightly builds have now been released, albeit for Canadian and T-Mobile variants. Steve Kondik, better known as Cyanogen, has confirmed that only Canadian and T-Mobile variants support the new builds right now, though in the future the international i9505 variant will be supported as well."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/05/galaxy-s4-cyanogenmod-first-nightly-builds-released/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont think my phone is locked - got a new one from 3 today! No bloatware bar the Samsung stock. So far so good!

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont think my phone is locked - got a new one from 3 today! No bloatware bar the Samsung stock. So far so good!

Lucky you. I just flashed UK BTU rom. No more Vodafone bloatware :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A quick question for some of the more established Android heads. I keep getting notifications of Man City and Napoli matches. They are from google I think because when I click on them it brings me into a google app. Does anyone know how I can cancel these?

Also at random times it sends me a notification on how long it will take me to get home and it links into a map. Is there any way to stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

What is bloatware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

pinkstars wrote: »
    What is bloatware?

Apps added by the operator that you don't want or need. Like o2 adding Littlest Pet Shop to the S4!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

So is the Galaxy S4 sim-free for everyone who purchased one from O2/Meteor/Three/Vodafone? I see Tesco Mobile is carrying the Exynos 5 octa-core version, would that be locked to Tesco Mobile or sim-free as well?

makoten wrote: »
    So is the Galaxy S4 sim-free for everyone who purchased one from O2/Meteor/Three/Vodafone? I see Tesco Mobile is carrying the Exynos 5 octa-core version, would that be locked to Tesco Mobile or sim-free as well?

I got mine from Vodafone and it is locked and there was some bloatware(not anymore :D) As far as I know first batch of phones were unlocked and bloat free, bought mine Monday(3rd batch).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got mine via o2 prepay online and it's soft branded (for now)

Not sure if it's locked or not

Quazzie wrote: »
    A quick question for some of the more established Android heads. I keep getting notifications of Man City and Napoli matches. They are from google I think because when I click on them it brings me into a google app. Does anyone know how I can cancel these?

Also at random times it sends me a notification on how long it will take me to get home and it links into a map. Is there any way to stop this?

Google Now is the app

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got 1 today from Tesco Mobile, how do I check if it's locked or not? I don't have any other sim cards lying around.

I only got the S3 last week, this phone is amazing, the screen is a thing of beauty, if anyone has any suggested apps or anything I'd be delighted to hear about them. I've also to figure out how to set it up as a remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Clareman wrote: »
    I got 1 today from Tesco Mobile, how do I check if it's locked or not? I don't have any other sim cards lying around.

I only got the S3 last week, this phone is amazing, the screen is a thing of beauty, if anyone has any suggested apps or anything I'd be delighted to hear about them. I've also to figure out how to set it up as a remote control

So you got the s3 last week and the s4 this week. ..!
    There's a thread about recommending apps in the android forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yup, got the S3 from Adverts, a friend of mine was signing up to Tesco Mobile and was going to get a S3 for free on a €50 contract, so I paid the €100 and got the S4, gave him my S3 and the bits and bobs that came with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

What are some ways you save on battery?...

Actually I may not have been using it heavily on the weekend.
    I was using it a bit today, and it's down to 35% from a full charge at 8am.

So, you don't have a dud !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Clareman wrote: »

Try keying in *#7465625# and a message should pop up showing details about the phone.

Advertisement