Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If that's true I'm sold!

How can the note 2 with the biggest screen around have the best battery? It it like an ipad with multiple batteries or something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zascar wrote: »
    If that's true I'm sold!

How can the note 2 with the biggest screen around have the best battery? It it like an ipad with multiple batteries or something?

The Note 2 has a huge battery (I think it's about 3000Mah) the S3 only has a 2000Mah battery and the S4 has a 2300Mah battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Zascar wrote: »
    If that's true I'm sold!

Because it's so big it's takes a much bigger battery. 3100 mah compared to 2100 mah in the s3.

The s4 has a 2600 mah. Bigger battery than the s3 but bigger screen aswel.

I had a htc one for the day and I reckon it's about the same battery life as my s3, plus it's non removable.

Batteries are selling points for phones these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Kenno90 wrote: »
    If you have been playing with it , can you comment on the battery life, people are comparing it with the Note II which gives about 2 days battery

It's about a day with default settings (I've found - naturally varies with use and the screen is the main drainer). Can adjust brightness (which is very bright by default), and there are a few different power saving options - CPU power saving, screen power saving and haptic feedback.

Got it through work for review. Can put up a pic if you need convincing.

Not overly gone on the smart screen stuff though. Scrolling down is fine. Maybe it was because of where I looked on the screen initially, but it meant that to scroll up I had to lift my head well over the screen (couldn't even see where I was scrolling to out of peripheral vision).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm on an S2 as well though I really can't decide between this, the HTC One and the Xperia Z. They're all great phones and I've been happy with Samsung though both the One and Xperia look class.

Im in the exact same boat as you. Have no idea which wway im leaning. Initially before research it was Samsung, then One now im going toward the xperia just for asthetics as they are all so powerful for the apps ill be using I wont notice the difference. Battery is my biggie as I seem to have my sensation constantly plugged in to keep it on charge.

So whichever I do go with itll be a big jump from the sensation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

gerire wrote: »
    Im in the exact same boat as you. Have no idea which wway im leaning. Initially before research it was Samsung, then One now im going toward the xperia just for asthetics as they are all so powerful for the apps ill be using I wont notice the difference. Battery is my biggie as I seem to have my sensation constantly plugged in to keep it on charge.

So whichever I do go with itll be a big jump from the sensation

I'm also on the same boat, getting crowded. Any way ,based looks its the HTC One hands down. I'm not totally convinced with the One's build quality. It seems to be hit and miss and although the battery life is good, i hear the S4 will be better.

I was never a fan of Sony Phones, but having it waterproof is a great step that will hopefully catch on.

I also plan to root the phone and get as close to the stock ROM as possible. I love my Galaxy Nexus but even buying a second battery didn't do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

HI folks. I was in a vodafone shop yesterday and they stated they expect the phone next week. Has anyone heard anything to that effect?

Nikond800 wrote: »
    HI folks. I was in a vodafone shop yesterday and they stated they expect the phone next week. Has anyone heard anything to that effect?

That cracks me up. I went in to Vodafone a day or two before the One was released, and they knew absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Basil3 wrote: »
    That cracks me up. I went in to Vodafone a day or two before the One was released, and they knew absolutely nothing.

I'd take my nugget of info there with a pinch of salt. Was just wondering what others had heard around the country so as to get an idea of when we may expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Nikond800 wrote: »

I asked about availability a page or 2 back. 26th in most stores seemed to be the consensus if I remember right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Basil3 wrote: »

All they told me in 3 was end of the month and they havent worked out packages yet?! which I took for prices as their packages are all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Any guesses on what the contract prices will be starting at? Due an upgrade but I guess i'll hold off a week or so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Any guesses on what the contract prices will be starting at? Due an upgrade but I guess i'll hold off a week or so. :D

I'd guess from 100 to about 300

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

O2 prices start at 200 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

It seems like the UK release is now the 27th of April, I say we will probably get it the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I was disappointed to see the S4 does not have a FM tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

ROVER wrote: »

Plenty of apps will do the job.

SamHall wrote: »
    Plenty of apps will do the job.

Not the same. They are going down the iPhone route. FM signal is more wide spread than 3g. This is supposed to be a top end phone it should not lose functions.

Not the same. They are going down the iPhone route. FM signal is more wide spread than 3g. This is supposed to be a top end phone it should not lose functions.

I agree. This has actually put me off the phone somewhat. Not everyone has unlimited data and the 3g is ****e in places

It's a decent feature, but can't say I've ever used it as you need the plug-in. Tune in radio and a decent data bundle will do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

So this means that u have to go on the internet to listen to the radio? That will cost money!!!! Pity u can't take the FM Radio tuner from the s3 and transfer to the S4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I personally never used the FM radio in any phone I had.(Except old nokias I had) and I'd say the people who listen to radio on smartphones are in the minority as Samsung would have put reseach into who listen to radio and who doesn't, so decided to remove it from phone.

I accept it is a feature that some people don't use but why not leave it in for people that like live radio. At a guess I would say 3g streaming uses more battery power than FM radio. Data roaming is expensive. I like to listen to radio commentary at sporting events as sometimes you can't see why a decision was awarded. It is very difficult to get a data connection in a stadium because of congestion even if you do it will be streaming a minute behind what you are looking at on the pitch. The HTC one is now looking more attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

I accept it is a feature that some people don't use but why not leave it in for people that like live radio. At a guess I would say 3g streaming uses more battery power than FM radio. Data roaming is expensive. I like to listen to radio commentary at sporting events as sometimes you can't see why a decision was awarded. It is very difficult to get a data connection in a stadium because of congestion even if you do it will be streaming a minute behind what you are looking at on the pitch. The HTC one is now looking more attractive.

Very dissappointed with no radio on the forthcoming S4. I was all set to buy this phone but I will have to review my options and go for the HTC1 or an S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

leemaree wrote: »

I'm sure you could find websites that say that the s4 is going to have lcd screen, and that it is only coming out in octo-core, or all kinds of misinformation.

It doesn't have an FM radio though.

This is from Samsung's Russian page:
    Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically - focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Can someone please confirm the release day is it Friday or Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm getting mine on Thursday thats when meteor are getting them in.

I've put on hold, the joys of having your father work for meteor ;)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'm getting mine on Thursday thats when meteor are getting them in.

I've put on hold, the joys of having your father work for meteor ;)

Kenno, let us know how it is.!
    I'm buying a phone the bank holiday weekend and it's the htc one so far, still not fully decided though.

• Advertisement

Wish meteor would announce their price plan for an upgrade to this and when we can actually buy it off them

Advertisement