Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why was it genius?Was it not obivious ipod itunes it was always going to be iphone.

Yeah but its a simple and straight forward name, just like anything with Apple stuff. It always includes the user :)

Cant keep the whole Galaxy Happy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Yeah but its a simple and straight forward name, just like anything with Apple stuff. It always includes the user :)

Cant keep the whole Galaxy Happy now :)

Thats fair enough but that a damn strech calling it genius

.Anyhow back on topic,Ill be sticking with my note 2,cant see any reason to switch.Anyone on the note 2 that is switching and if so why?

Thats fair enough but that a damn strech calling it genius

.Anyhow back on topic,Ill be sticking with my note 2,cant see any reason to switch.Anyone on the note 2 that is switching and if so why?

I want to, just don't see the point. I wouldn't even be considering switching if my N2's battery life didn't deteriorate by a fourth. I used to have problems charging the note before bedtime cause the battery used to be at 30-40% now its just like a normal smartphone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I want to, just don't see the point. I wouldn't even be considering switching if my N2's battery life didn't deteriorate by a fourth. I used to have problems charging the note before bedtime cause the battery used to be at 30-40% now its just like a normal smartphone :(

Get a new battery?Yea I cant see any reason to upgrade.Still have to see something that makes it worthwhile to upgrade!

Get a new battery?Yea I cant see any reason to upgrade.Still have to see something that makes it worthwhile to upgrade!

I have 5 batteries :) Battery is not the problem, it predict it might be faulty inside. Effort of sending it away to get it checked out though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Due upgrade in may, I'm with 3, on the top plan so it will be free to me.

Currently have sgs2 so it'll be a nice upgrade for me, just hoping that any problems /glitches will be ironed out/software upgrades done by then.

Alternatively, maybe we'll have solid info on the new nexus by then, sf if 3 are stocking it, I'd go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

4G LTE versions of the phone will come with a 1.9GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU, not the eight core Samsung Exynos processor that was the subject of so much song and dance at the New York unveiling.

The only companies with 4G modems are Qualcom and Nvidia. Nvidia’s platform agnostic radio still isn’t quite ready for primetime, which leaves Qualcomm as the supplier for the chips.

Despite the awesomeness that comes with the concept of an octacore phone, the Exynos isn’t capable of running eight cores at once. Instead it jumps between the high power cores and low power cores when needed, each of which are paired and mutually exclusive. So the maximum number of active processor cores at any one time is going to be four anyway, no matter how cool eight cores looks on a spec sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Any idea when this will actually be available? I know O2 say end of the month but what about the other carriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

Any idea when this will actually be available? I know O2 say end of the month but what about the other carriers?

Three have said the 26th of this month, Carphone warehouse said the 1st of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

End of April i heard from Meteor, I'm still debating between this and the HTC One, decisions decisions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

Kenno90 wrote: »
    End of April i heard from Meteor, I'm still debating between this and the HTC One, decisions decisions

I'm the same but I already have a 64GB sd card and have the hdmi adaptor, also the removable battery is a big plus.

I'm the same but I already have a 64GB sd card and have the hdmi adaptor, also the removable battery is a big plus.

I'm planning on getting the S4 around June/July, but regarding the sd card, a cool little micro USB sd card reader is being developed which will work really well with the One and other devices without a removable sd card (such as the Nexus 7).

Info can be found here

I never needed a spare battery with my Note 2, as battery life was so good. I'm finding the One isn't actually far off it. Am running in power save mode, as I don't game on my phone, and am getting 5-6+ hours screen on time. Finally it feels like battery life on these devices is getting closer to where it should be. The S4 should be at least as good I hope.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting the S4 around June/July, but regarding the sd card, a cool little micro USB sd card reader is being developed which will work really well with the One and other devices without a removable sd card (such as the Nexus 7).

Info can be found here

I never needed a spare battery with my Note 2, as battery life was so good. I'm finding the One isn't actually far off it. Am running in power save mode, as I don't game on my phone, and am getting 5-6+ hours screen on time. Finally it feels like battery life on these devices is getting closer to where it should be. The S4 should be at least as good I hope.

That little SD card dongle is a really good idea and i'm surprised no one came up with till now.

I bought a second battery for my GN as the battery life was getting bad. It cost me 12 Euro and is still fine months later. The idea of a removable battery really appeals to me.

I couldn't care less about SD cards and non removable storage. My GN has 16GB and I've never come close to it , all my music and pics are on the cloud.

My current thought process

HTC One
    + Metal Design (Phone looks beautiful)
    + Sense 5 ( Liking the minimalistic approach)
    + Best Speakers on any phone.
    - No removable Battery
    - Very Hard to Repair (Scored 1/10 on iFixit)
    - Android 4.1.2 (I'm worried future support for the phone would be lacking)

Samsung S4
    + Same physical size as the S3
    + Android 4.2.2
    + Battery ( I've read good things about the battery)
    - Plastic Design
    - Touch Wiz ( Though flashing a custom ROM would solve this)

i can't decide, talk about first world problems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Kenno90 wrote: »
    HTC One
    + Metal Design (Phone looks beautiful)
    + Sense 5 ( Liking the minimalistic approach)
    + Best Speakers on any phone.
    - No removable Battery
    - Very Hard to Repair (Scored 1/10 on iFixit)
    - Android 4.1.2 (I'm worried future support for the phone would be lacking)

+ So far reports on battery life has been great so unless you need to be able to swap batteries it shouldn't be a problem.

+ Without any proper documentation I dont things its repairability can be written off.

+ 4.2.2 is coming in June and its been "announced" for the One X along with Sense 5. The updates wont be as rapid as the S4's but from what I have read the S3's has regressed since its Jellybean update while my One X has been reborn since it got 4.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Any one know where I could get this case? Not ebay. I googled the case but noone has the exact same. I wonder have u guys any idea ;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Stylish-Slim-Leather-Case-Cover-Flip-Pouch-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-S-IV-i9500-/321102224892?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item4ac32f1dfc

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Try mobilefun.co.uk . They have an irish site too I think but have only bought off the UK one as for some reason it worked out cheaper

leemaree wrote: »
    Any one know where I could get this case? Not ebay. I googled the case but noone has the exact same. I wonder have u guys any idea ;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Stylish-Slim-Leather-Case-Cover-Flip-Pouch-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-S-IV-i9500-/321102224892?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item4ac32f1dfc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Phoenix wrote: »
    Is the S4 worth waiting for compared to the S3?

The jump forward from S3 to S4 is not a big as it was from the S2. I have the S3 since it came out last year and I wont be upgrading. If you want to save a few quid I would go for the S3

If i had an S3 i wouldn't be buying it.

Though i think its a nice step up from the Galaxy Nexus

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I handle phone upgrades like the latest copy of fifa, I buy every second release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It will be one of the most powerful and fastest phones on the market, depends really how important that is to you.

Il probably end up getting it at some stage as I'm on a 12 month upgrade cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I handle phone upgrades like the latest copy of fifa, I buy every second release

I used to do that with Tiger Woods, now it's every 4th release they're all so similar!
    But definitely every second for phones, unless you're loaded and bored

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Been playing around with the S4 the last few days. Amazing display, some interesting features and very quick: http://clickonline.com/tech/review--samsung-galaxy-s-iv/17397/

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Been playing around with the S4 the last few days. Amazing display, some interesting features and very quick: http://clickonline.com/tech/review--samsung-galaxy-s-iv/17397/[/QUOTE]

Where have u been playing around with it? It hasn't been released yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will definitely be getting it as I have S2 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm on an S2 as well though I really can't decide between this, the HTC One and the Xperia Z. They're all great phones and I've been happy with Samsung though both the One and Xperia look class.

Been playing around with the S4 the last few days. Amazing display, some interesting features and very quick: http://clickonline.com/tech/review--samsung-galaxy-s-iv/17397/

No offence, but that's not really a review....more an overview. I could have written that without even having used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'm getting it. I have the Galaxy S so I've a feeling the step up will be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm getting it. I have the Galaxy S so I've a feeling the step up will be noticeable.
    It'll be big and feel like a tablet, but after a month and you look back at your GS and wonder how you ever used a screen that small

• Advertisement

If you have been playing with it , can you comment on the battery life, people are comparing it with the Note II which gives about 2 days battery

Advertisement