Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

King Krib wrote: »
    I'm really considering a Note 2 at the minute ,I like the idea of the big screen and it has some great features plus I could have my hands on one at a good price.
    My question is... Is the S4 worth the extra undisclosed price difference? I use my phone a lot, email ,browsing, gaming etc... Even the odd YouTube video. Would I notice any great difference between the phones in everyday use gimmicks aside.

I am currently on the note 2 and would say it is the closest I've had to the perfect phone. At the moment, I would say that the processing power of phones is miles ahead of the software they need to run, so you wouldn't notice a difference between the note 2 and the SGS4.

I think €600 for a phone is crazy money, and I'm expecting the SGS4 to be over that. To be honest, the price is putting me off a bit.

Major plus the note 2 should have over the SGS4 is battery life, and the screen real estate has its pluses and minuses. I actually think the note 2 is too big, making one hand operation awkward sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Basil3 wrote: »
    actually think the note 2 is too big, making one hand operation awkward sometimes.

Said it yourself, a phone needs to be a one handed device imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Liamalone wrote: »

Said it yourself, a phone needs to be a one handed device imo

I think Samsung have done a good job at getting it as close to a one handed operation as possible with their keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

thomasj wrote: »

I think Samsung have done a good job at getting it as close to a one handed operation as possible with their keyboards.

That is only a part of operating the phone, accessing a link on a web page where the link is at the top of the screen? Pulling down the status bar? Just two examples

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

I wonder will we be seeing the octo core version in Ireland, the Uk getting the quad core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    I wonder will we be seeing the octo core version in Ireland, the Uk getting the quad core.

I doubt it, it would be pointless to test the octacore version and then test the snapdragon once lte comes.

It makes sense in that way.

Liamalone wrote: »

That is only a part of operating the phone, accessing a link on a web page where the link is at the top of the screen? Pulling down the status bar? Just two examples

I think people who are buying the note are ready to sacrifice that. I for one can do both of those without a hiccup, but id image small hands would have a hard time.

I think the numbers note 2 sold in showed that people were ready to sacrifice size for battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I'd say it would be network dependant.

The networks who want 4G/lte on their galaxy will get the quad core those who don't will get the (insert name of 8 core one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Anyone here yet hear about the date this phone is coming to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

leemaree wrote: »
    Anyone here yet hear about the date this phone is coming to Ireland?

Posted it a page back:
    Mc Love wrote: »
    April 26th on three, register your interest here: http://www.three.ie/coming_soon/galaxy-s4.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Also here...

https://store.meteor.ie/coming-soon/galaxy-s4

Although, I have never actually received any emails about phones from these 'coming soon' sites before from Irish networks, think it's more of a general marketing ploy.

I'm due an upgrade in June so hopefully meteor will have it in stock by then...

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Also here...

https://store.meteor.ie/coming-soon/galaxy-s4

Although, I have never actually received any emails about phones from these 'coming soon' sites before from Irish networks, think it's more of a general marketing ploy.

I'm due an upgrade in June so hopefully meteor will have it in stock by then...

Vodafone sent me an email to notify me that the one x was out a week after i already had it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's up for preorder sim free now and it's over €700 sim free for the 16gb :eek:

All I can say to Samsung is GTFO. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

mad muffin wrote: »
    It's up for preorder sim free now and it's over €700 sim free for the 16gb :eek:

Wow, that is expensive.

Where did you see that mad muffin?

Doesn't surprise me. Have seen the RRP ranging between €650 and €700 in other European countries. They have to be careful to not scare off people who are wanting to buy sim-free. Even if you have an S3 and want to sell to offset the cost, you'll still have to pay a good €400 out of your own pocket....

Wow, that is expensive.

Where did you see that mad muffin?

Amazon

RRP in Britain is £529 which equates to €625 on current exchange rate.

Amazon
    Sure it had it up on Amazon a while ago + i saw a website with €700 a while back and i posted it a few pages back

RRP in Britain is £529 which equates to €625 on current exchange rate.

Where do you see this?

leemaree wrote: »
    Sure it had it up on Amazon a while ago + i saw a website with €700 a while back and i posted it a few pages back

It just came up on Amazon after 9am.

Where do you see this?

I seen it on amazon.de. I went to amazon.co.uk and its £629.95

• Advertisement

Someone on XDA is updating the prices.

The current list can be found here

I have seen it listed for over £600 though....

€500 is the most I would have payed for a sim free one.

Someone on XDA is updating the prices.

The current list can be found here

I have seen it listed for over £600 though....

Looks like amazon.de are the cheapest so far with €649.00

It's not really surprising. I expected it to be that price.

Galaxy Note 2 was 600 + at launch. Naturally S4 has more gadgets inside so the price tag goes up.

Plus it matches iPhone 5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

Where do you see this?

its over £600 over here...

funk that if i will pay that much for a 16gb phone.

Just out of curiosity, how much were people expecting it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It won't be that price SIM free. Three in the UK are selling it (24 month contract) for free for £35/£37 a month, in comparison to the Xperia Z which is £34/£36 a month or £450 SIM free, so although it'll be more expensive it's unlikely to be significantly so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

for free for £35/£37 a month

its hardly free if you are tied to a contract and end up spending almost £850 on a phone

i am all for new tech and dont do contracts, sim free for me but will not pay insane money for a phone.

the most i would pay would be £450, 500 tops.

at the end of the day you are not going to want to take these devices out on the pubs and stuff they cost so much and that's no good for anyone.

and don't give me this insurance rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

shinkansen wrote: »
    end up spending almost £850 on a phone

To be fair, you're also getting 24 months of texts, calls, and data.

• Advertisement

shinkansen wrote: »
    for free for £35/£37 a month

its hardly free if you are tied to a contract and end up spending almost £850 on a phone

i am all for new tech and don't do contracts, SIM free for me but will not pay insane money for a phone.

the most i would pay would be £450, 500 tops.

at the end of the day you are not going to want to take these devices out on the pubs and stuff they cost so much and that's no good for anyone.

and don't give me this insurance rubbish...

I do take it out on Pubs, Nightclubs. Keep your wallet and your phone in the front jean pocket and you will never have an issue with losing it or breaking it, and I have insurance just in case, and claimed of it a couple of times successfully.

You didnt really expect to spend 450 pounds on it, when was the last time a flagship phone came out onto the market below 600 euro mark SIM-Free?

Advertisement