Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Looks like a decent update, nothing ground breaking but not as blink or you'll miss it as Apple either. I like the idea of the bigger battery - was a killer on my s3 not being able to get a full day most days. Look forward to the Note 3 as a replacement to my Note 2 more though. Don't think I could go back to a smaller screen unless it was something very special indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just watched the Android Central handson vid.

I don't know know. I want to like it, I really do. But I'm not sure. Looks like a lot of features in 4.2.2, but it did seem laggy in places, which I am surprised at.

The dual camera seems interesting, I know I'll use it, oh, at least once.

Different processors for different regions? What could this mean for the user?

Looks very similar to the S3. I don't find that to be in a good way. I always found the S3 to be too plasticky, too toyish.

Now, this or Xperia Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Just watched the Android Central handson vid.

I don't know know. I want to like it, I really do. But I'm not sure. Looks like a lot of features in 4.2.2, but it did seem laggy in places, which I am surprised at.

The dual camera seems interesting, I know I'll use it, oh, at least once.

Different processors for different regions? What could this mean for the user?

Looks very similar to the S3. I don't find that to be in a good way. I always found the S3 to be too plasticky, too toyish.

Now, this or Xperia Z?
    Its not running final software, I'd say Samsung will iron out the bugs and lagginess before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The big question remains, when are we (irish networks) getting our hands on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'll have to agree with many here and say that while it's an attractive phone, it's really not such a major jump from the S3.

The jump from the S2 to the S3 was quite significant; screen size, phone memory (quite an important factor I found), CPU, form factor and so on. From the S3 to the S4, it's not such a big deal; CPU is better (but the S3 is still more than powerful enough for any software out there), internal storage is potentially greater (if you pay for it) and there's a number of other hardware improvements, but most of them are really just incremental - otherwise there's little or no change.

The screen is a bit bigger, but TBH, the S3 is already almost a bit too big - if I want a tablet, I'll buy one, otherwise, even with the S3, not being able to hold the phone in one hand and do everything with my thumb is bit of a pain. One major improvement (mainly because there wasn't much of one with the S3) is the main camera resolution - the secondary camera is essentially unchanged. This might sway some people, although personally, I'd rather see better flash technology on cameraphones.

From what I can see, the emphasis on the S4 has been in software upgrades, most of which are impressive on first seeing them, but after a short while they're not exactly a big deal. After all, if I really want to upgrade my software or soup up my OS, there's no shortage of apps or custom ROM's out there I can employ and won't require me to shell out a big chunk of cash to do so.

So if you're still on the S2 or a pre-2012 phone, then maybe the S4 is for you. It does build on the success of the S3 and even from that perspective alone I'd probably recommend it. However, if you're already on an S3 - like me - there's not a Hell of a lot of incentive to upgrade. As someone mentioned earlier, I looked at the specs and the video demos and my reaction was also a mooted "meh".

I believe the smartphone market has largely matured now, and people are going to slow down where it comes to upgrades again, as largely they were with feature phones, before 2007. We'll still upgrade, but the days of doing so because every year a phone was released that was somehow revolutionary are, at least for the time being, over.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    The big question remains, when are we (irish networks) getting our hands on this?

End of April on Meteor, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I recently got an Xperia Z, and having seen the iterative improvements of the S4 I am glad. I dislike the plastic styling, and if anything the S4 is worse looking than the S3, at least the HTC One and Xperia Z have attempted to design a phone with a pleasing form, the gap between the 3 flagship phones in terms of their innards is minimal, and indeed with phone CPU's we have reached the same plateau desktop CPU's have been at for a while, yes they get faster and faster, but that extra speed makes no discernable difference to the user, unless he likes ray tracing, or encoding 1080p video!

I do like the 5" form factor though, and having gone to the Xperia from a Galaxy Note 2 I have no issues with even bigger, I do think the HTC One is too small though, and I am eagerly awaiting the Note 3 later this year.

Anyways all in all I think Samsung dropped the ball a bit here, I was hoping they would really make an effort with the design aspects this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Must be only be me that thinks the Xperia Z feels like a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

End of April on Meteor, apparently.

April 26th on three, register your interest here: http://www.three.ie/coming_soon/galaxy-s4.html

Mc Love wrote: »

April 26th on three, register your interest here: http://www.three.ie/coming_soon/galaxy-s4.html

Three's no good around here, no data coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Inquitus wrote: »

Anyways all in all I think Samsung dropped the ball a bit here, I was hoping they would really make an effort with the design aspects this time.

Thing is, Samsung actually like this design. Their opinion is that lighter is better. I remember seeing an interview with a Samsung rep a while back. He mentioned how they were taking the Race car approach making them as light as possible while making the plastic durable. They've applied that design to all of their models now (phones, tablets).
    When I compare my old galaxy nexus to my nexus 4, I prefer the bulkier nexus 4.
    It's all very subjective I guess.

My dream design would be a phone that had the screen of the Galaxy s3/4 with the back of the new HTC. Here's hoping..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Happy three are getting it late April as Google I/0 is only around the corner from then (may 15th) and we could be seeing a new nexus 5 to keep me away from the s4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Sorry probably a stupid question, but the Nexus 5 isn't the Motorola X. Is that correct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How would this compare with the Note 2?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Sorry probably a stupid question, but the Nexus 5 isn't the Motorola X. Is that correct?
    They haven't announced the Nexus 5, or the "X Phone" so its hard to say, we will probably get news at I/O 2013

My last 3 phones have been htc one X -> SGS3 -> Note 2, and after watching last night's announcement, I think I'm going back to htc.

The SGS4 really is a let down, there's no killer feature, no real innovation that I can see benefiting me in any way. I'm not a huge fan of Amoled screens, although the note 2 is much nicer than the SGS3. I also don't like the look and feel of Touchwiz, and was really hoping they were going to make significant changes to it.

It's a shame the perfect phone doesn't exist, every phone has its weak points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its really annoying that the last Nexus phone didnt come to Ireland though. I hope this isnt a permanent move by Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

To those that own a gs3 or note2 how has it hels up? Does it creak? Is the screen susceptible to burn in that you have noticed?

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    To those that own a gs3 or note2 how has it hels up? Does it creak? Is the screen susceptible to burn in that you have noticed?

Mine have been fine, although I generally keep my phones in a case to help resale value so wouldn't really notice creaking.

Haven't noticed any burn in at all, but I would say that the SGS3 screen is poor in general, much behind the note 2 and the latest HTC's

My Note 2 is fine, no issues at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

So there is no Exynos 5 for Germany as carriers are sticking with the snapdragon variant, probably because of LTE, it explains why Samsung didnt go into any specifics about regions last night. Sorry I cant provide any links ,straight from the mouth of a German XDA member.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

big_show wrote: »

Well now you jinxed it, Ill give your phone until the end of the day. :pac:

Yeah my S3 was indestructible in the otterbox commuter case. I used to fling it all over the place and it would take it like a man :-)

S3 never creaked. It was an extremely solid phone. Never had any issues with screen burn. I used to have mine as a night stand clock for the 6 months that I had it and never got a hint of screen burn.

Note 2 creaks like hell. I got a replacement one that creaks less but it's still nowhere near the build quality of the S3. If there was one way I could improve the note I would look for a better build quality. I'll forget about the cheap plastics. I just don't want to be able to twist it, bend it or hear creaks when using it. it's not a cheap phone after all. You would expect only the best from a high end phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Here's a random collection of my thoughts

I like it, its an evolutional upgrade from the S3 but it has improved everything its changed. Best of all its the same size.

I'm glad it still has removable battery and expandable memory, i don't get why any phone would not have these.

I'm excited by the IR. On the old tabs with IR the hardware was locked to devs, hopefully this isn't. HTC are apparently releasing an api for the One IR module so it would be good if samsung followed.

Most software pictures are bollocks. Pictures with sound? That's video with no moving picture. Sharing/group stuff is pointless unless you a) have friends, and b) they all have the same phone. Unlikely.

Non-touch touchscreen - might be stupid, i don't know. Working with gloves is good though.

Overall, and i'm not entering into discussion about this, i think its a better overall phone than the One. I might even go as far as to say that it's more better than the One than the S3 was better than the One X.

Also, the kid was weird looking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Have an iphone 4s that will be due for an upgrade end of April.
    Not really sure I want to go for Iphone 5 or even wait for an iphone 5s.
    I presume the price of the SIII will drop when the SIV comes out so would it be a ridiculous to consider getting the SIII instead of the SIV?
    I'm sure the SIV might be over €200+ for an 18month contract on the plan I usually get,the SIII could even be free by then on the same contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Will the dual sim have two sim cards on at once. Like could I use 3 data plan and 02 free texts?

Or do you have to switch between the two sims. Never had a dual sim before

A dual sim? What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Will the dual sim have two sim cards on at once. Like could I use 3 data plan and 02 free texts?

Or do you have to switch between the two sims. Never had a dual sim before

I guarantee the models we see in Europe wont be dual sim. People in Asia are crazy about their dual sim phones. People dont usually require that feature in Europe/USA so its not brought here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Overall, and i'm not entering into discussion about this, i think its a better overall phone than the One. I might even go as far as to say that it's more better than the One than the S3 was better than the One X.

Also, the kid was weird looking.

Once again Chet, and I remember saying this this time last year as well :P Myself, and many others, have a preference for design over software. Which, once again, means HTC beat Sammy to a pulp. I won't be buying either of them, waiting for the fabled "X Phone", but if I were to choose, I'd take the One hands down.

And yes, the kid freaked me out too.

Advertisement