Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the look of the phone is very important for people.

Agree with you about the covers, I hate them but users would argue it protects them and also maintains its resale value.
    We all have s3s in work, within 2 weeks 6 were broken. Covers are quite important imo, I see a lot of the no cover brigade walking around with borken screens. Fair play to people who can take care of it without a cover though! I'd have broken mine a dozen times by now. Pity as I love the phone design, unlike you :D
    murpho999 wrote: »
    This is getting childish now, that was a remark about the new features mentioned tonight.

No one has experience of them yet, so to follow your logic no one should say anything good or bad about them.

I think it's fair comment to say that a lot of the new features shown tonight, were nice, but are gimmicky, and will not really be used by most people.

I really don't get the hate towards you, i can see what you are saying and it's a valid opinion. Some things were indeed cool, lots were gimmicky and the design is the same. People get too fanboyish and defensive. Even if you were biased towards iPhones, the points are valid points anybody could make.

Hogzy wrote: »
    What was the S3 like in terms of battery life. I never really accept opinions in professional reviews, id prefer the opinions of real world users.
    I use it quite heavily, gps tracking my cycling to and from work, youtube, browsing, and it lasts about a day. More towards two if i'm not using it as much. eeing as it sits on my desk charging most the time it doesn't matter s long as it's a day I'm happy. Jellybean improved battery a lot for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hogzy wrote: »
    What was the S3 like in terms of battery life. I never really accept opinions in professional reviews, id prefer the opinions of real world users.

I find it pretty good. I'd use the S3 a lot and would usually be at about 50% about now. I don't watch a lot of videos but I use it as an MP3 player and would use it a lot for internet/email etc so the screen would be on quite a bit.

The S4 has a 30% larger battery. The screen will more than likely eat up a bit more juice than the S3 but not a hell of a lot I'd imagine. The processor is harder to judge. We will more than likely be getting the Exynos processor. The Cortex A7 is the low power part of the chip but is still pretty damn powerful. It will be less powerful than the processor in the S3 but will use less power than it. For most uses bar the higher end stuff like complex games I reckon this is the processor that is active. For the more extreme heavy lifting it will switch to the A15 part of the processor. If it does use the A7 part for most uses then the new Exynos will use less power than the Exynos in the S3 with no real noticeable difference. Battery life on the S4 should be pretty damn good, better than the S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Better CPU, More Ram, Better Screen, Better Cameras, Better Battery, Bigger Storage, Better Features, Lighter, Slimmer.

The iphone got longer and added some aluminium and people **** their pants, its the same thing with this really except with much better specs

The iphone 5 also got Better CPU, More RAM, Better Screen, Better Camera, Better Battery, Bigger Storage options, Better Features, Lighter and Slimmer.

And it got all the abuse because it looked similar to its predecessor.
    Now it's Samsung's turn to get the same abuse as the S3 to S4 is an even smaller appearance change than 4S to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

We all have s3s in work, within 2 weeks 6 were broken. Covers are quite important imo, I see a lot of the no cover brigade walking around with borken screens. Fair play to people who can take care of it without a cover though! I'd have broken mine a dozen times by now. Pity as I love the phone design, unlike you :D

I spent 6 months jumping in and out tractors and general roughhousing in the family agri contracting business with my S2 with no cover and dropped it a few times aswell and not a bother to it. Got a nice clean indoors job for the winter and within a week id a crack going across the screen after dropping it there! Didnt get to find out how sturdy my S3 was as I lost it within 24 hours of getting it :rolleyes:

Havent got around to reading the reviews of this phone yet so cant comment on the new features but in terms of design Im not too bothered that it hasnt changed as the S3/Note 2 template is a solid one. Samsung could potentially have alienated a lot more customers if the design had been radically changed and it didnt go down well and also the current design does help to reinforce some sort of brand recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

After waiting to hear all details about the S4 it kind of feels a bit of an anticlimax. 5'' 1080p screen,so what...
    Nothing here to blow to you away. When you've a cash cow milk it I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

dloob wrote: »
    The iphone 5 also got Better CPU, More RAM, Better Screen, Better Camera, Better Battery, Bigger Storage options, Better Features, Lighter and Slimmer.

Now it's Samsung's turn to get the same abuse as the S3 to S4 is an even smaller appearance change than 4S to 5

I do agree with the look and what not, except these speces make the iphone 5 look like ****e (on paper that is) await for the full hands on review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

King Krib wrote: »
    After waiting to hear all details about the S4 it kind of feels a bit of an anticlimax. 5'' 1080p screen,so what...

Not sure what you were expecting, we are kinda at a limit on size terms, any bigger and you'd need giant hands. Don't see how going to a higher resolution than 1080p would make a difference either, when video is up to 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I find it pretty good. I'd use the S3 a lot and would usually be at about 50% about now. I don't watch a lot of videos but I use it as an MP3 player and would use it a lot for internet/email etc so the screen would be on quite a bit.

The S4 has a 30% larger battery. The screen will more than likely eat up a bit more juice than the S3 but not a hell of a lot I'd imagine. The processor is harder to judge. We will more than likely be getting the Exynos processor. The Cortex A7 is the low power part of the chip but is still pretty damn powerful. It will be less powerful than the processor in the S3 but will use less power than it. For most uses bar the higher end stuff like complex games I reckon this is the processor that is active. For the more extreme heavy lifting it will switch to the A15 part of the processor. If it does use the A7 part for most uses then the new Exynos will use less power than the Exynos in the S3 with no real noticeable difference. Battery life on the S4 should be pretty damn good, better than the S3.

I would have massive question marks about performance and battery, as you saw in the hands on quad A7's arnt that powerful and TouchWiz looks more demanding than ever. When those A15's kick in they are going to suck up juice unless their heavily downclocked.
    DDR3 memory is power hungry as well.
    Have to commend Samsung for putting that massive battery in but Exynos 5 is going to need a lot of work compared to the US S600 Galaxy S3s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

dloob wrote: »

Because you shouldn't compare it to it's predecessor, you should compare it to what the competition are planning on releasing. The iPhone 5 got slammed cos it was way behind when compared to the competition

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Not sure what you were expecting, we are kinda at a limit on size terms, any bigger and you'd need giant hands. Don't see how going to a higher resolution than 1080p would make a difference either, when video is up to 1080p.
    What I meant was, It's all been hyped up for months and it all passed like a damp squib. An official release date wasn't even announced nor the full specs from what I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Went to bed before the announcement and had the weirdest dream. Samsung were demonstrating the new phones radical construction which they dubbed nevrbreak. They spent a few minutes firing it against concrete etc. to prove how robust it was.

I'm a bit disappointed it didn't come true. Slightly Meh about what I've seen this morning. Even though I pissed and pooed over the 3's design at launch, it's something that has grown on me. However, I don't like how they're basically doing an apple now with design. Although, I understand why.

I picked up a one x instead if the 3 owing to samsung's display. I found it dim in comparison and slightly blue tint owing to the pentile arrangement. It a decent display but the one x was and still is amazing. It's so good that I don't understand the push for 1080,beyond marketing of course. I'd have been happier if Samsung pushed out a brighter non pentile 720-it would persuade me over the HTC one if I was changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Went to bed before the announcement and had the weirdest dream. Samsung were demonstrating the new phones radical construction which they dubbed nevrbreak. They spent a few minutes firing it against concrete etc. to prove how robust it was.

I'm a bit disappointed it didn't come true. Slightly Meh about what I've seen this morning. Even though I pissed and pooed over the 3's design at launch, it's something that has grown on me. However, I don't like how they're basically doing an apple now with design. Although, I understand why.

I picked up a one x instead if the 3 owing to samsung's display. I found it dim in comparison and slightly blue tint owing to the pentile arrangement. It a decent display but the one x was and still is amazing. It's so good that I don't understand the push for 1080,beyond marketing of course. I'd have been happier if Samsung pushed out a brighter non pentile 720-it would persuade me over the HTC one if I was changing.
    You summed it up exactly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I dont think there is that much difference between the 3 and the 4. I think huge improvement if you are moving from the SGS2 so will stick with the 3 I have! :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Was there any mention of being able to turn off Smart Pause?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

antodeco wrote: »

Nothing but I would assume its possible. Any features that are similar on the S3 can all be turned off like all the motion features.

antodeco wrote: »

I'm sure I saw the option listed on one the leaks.

I like that Samsung have employed the synaptic's touch display for use with gloves as well.

There's nothing about either the 4 or the One that wouldppersuade me to upgrade. If I killed my phone in the morning I'd probably go for a note 2 or the one x again. I really hope this Google x phone turns out to be something worth waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Pretty sure those new 'features' like Smart Pause that Samsung added can be disabled, otherwise they would just be annoying in the long run.

I don't see what the problem is, it's a very solid upgrade in terms of hardware and software, a bigger battery, as well as new features that other phones don't have yet. Certainly a lot more exciting than iPhone 5.

But of course, there's less incentive to upgrade for Galaxy S3 owners. Also, S4 will be released by the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Surprised there was no mention of wireless charging.
    Got the impression that Samsung aren't overly happy with android in terms of power consumption.

It's an impressive phone, removable battery is nice.
    Not sure they could have done much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Very happy with the specs..justified my move back to iphone 5 from the S3 and was afraid that Samsung would come out with some killer feature that would leave me looking to change again.
    For me the Nokia Lumnia 920/8 is the only other phone I'd consider changing to at the moment or the HTC One.
    Samsung are basically like Apple now...incremental updates which are really for the 2 generations old users like the S2 etc to upgrade to.
    But in fairness to both most companies are like this..you can't have killer features each launch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

What did you want it to do? Make your tea in the morning?

Most improvements in phones from now will be better faster, battery life, improved wireless charging etc. All the big innovations will be in software features.

What did you want it to do? Make your tea in the morning?

Most improvements in phones from now will be better faster, battery life, improved wireless charging etc. All the big innovations will be in software features.
    , there simply isn't a huge amount to say warrant an upgrade from the S3. That's all I'm saying,plus if it makes a cup of tea in the morning that's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

, there simply isn't a huge amount to say warrant an upgrade from the S3. That's all I'm saying,plus if it makes a cup of tea in the morning that's a bonus.

Would agree with this. I've an S3 and can see no reason to change at all. Really like some of the new features in the S4 but not enough to warrant an upgrade.

It's the first time I've had a phone for a year and didn't feel the need to change it. The S3 was such a great release from Samsung and it would be hard to keep making big strides in releases every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

441 ppi, does any other phone beat this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I guess ill be keeping my s3 until im due an upgrade in January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Testament1 wrote: »
    I spent 6 months jumping in and out tractors and general roughhousing in the family agri contracting business with my S2 with no cover and dropped it a few times aswell and not a bother to it. Got a nice clean indoors job for the winter and within a week id a crack going across the screen after dropping it there! Didnt get to find out how sturdy my S3 was as I lost it within 24 hours of getting it :rolleyes:

Havent got around to reading the reviews of this phone yet so cant comment on the new features but in terms of design Im not too bothered that it hasnt changed as the S3/Note 2 template is a solid one. Samsung could potentially have alienated a lot more customers if the design had been radically changed and it didnt go down well and also the current design does help to reinforce some sort of brand recognition.
    That's thte thing, it really matters hwo it falls, and it will fall. Also people with children would be mad not to have them. Even somebody like me with cats. The end of this gif happened with my phone last night:

6M7Pku.gif

It's fairly impossible to break my phone in it's otterbox.
    Yeah, not really worth an upgrade imo, same as with the iphone.
    The hardware is already so fast that you don't even need it to be better yet, and also a lot of the improvements are software stuff that is/will be ported. Would like to see how the battery holds up.

Facepalming at them going on about removing the black bar from the top of the screen....reminds me of when they made fun of apple for the "earphones going in the bottom"

441 ppi, does any other phone beat this?

HTC One comes in at 468. It's also non pentile unlike the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

It's fairly impossible to break my phone in it's otterbox.

Well now you jinxed it, Ill give your phone until the end of the day. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Can I open a beer with it:o

• Advertisement

big_show wrote: »
    Well now you jinxed it, Ill give your phone until the end of the day. :pac:

I dramatically looked for my phone when you said that. :pac:

Advertisement