Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I always go back and trim down my gear and stock up after a few quests. What about Relic gear? I've held onto any piece's I've picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I always go back and trim down my gear and stock up after a few quests. What about Relic gear? I've held onto any piece's I've picked up.

Its not as good as the Witcher Gear. You can gget the Griffon medium armor quite low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm using Undvik armor atm [only at level 22], seems to be tough enough has good resistance stats - my build is based mostly on melee and signs so don't really need any stealth or magic armor. I just pop what I need into the slots on all items, mostly boosts to attack and signs

I took a break from this for a bit, jumped back in last night - took a minute to get my bearings, checking through unfinished quests etc.

Finished what I found to be a bit of an irritating one , now I understand the [original at least] Morkvarg card in Gwent - Don't check if you've not done this quest
    In it's original form in standalone gwent when Morkvarg died he would reappear from the grave 1HP less each time, but if you boosted it became very annoying for opponents. It was a big part of the meta at the time, now I see why the card's action made sense. Bugger keeps coming back, took me a few goes to figure out what had to be done in TW3 - I keot killing or feeding him the wrong stuff

It wasn't the quest itself, it was more I kept getting lost ... that bloody Garden lol.

I'm on my way to rounding up all the allies, still got some big main quests to do and in no real hurry at this level. Going to try wipe off a bunch of the side unfinished quests before continuing the mains I think.

For anyone advanced in this game, what level were you when you headed to Misty Isles? I'm only level 22 [almost 23], seem to have all the mains done and the game keeps encouraging me to head there. I have a bunch of side quests to do but they're never going to get me a whole lot higher, many of them I have half completed.

Also what level would you suggest before going for the DLC - do you begin those at your current level?

@cagey Herat of Stone should be tackled at the recommended level. Blood and Wine should definitely be done once the main story is over.

Looked it up there and seems for Heart of stone it's suggested to be level 30. Going to have to get through every single side quest as well as finish the main to get there I think. That's fine as I'm back to enjoying the game again, after a spell mid way of it feeling a bit of a chore. There was a few drawn out missions I wasn't particularly enjoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

Wasn't it an option to start the expansions from the main menu with a pre leveled up character? Or was it in a different game? :)
    IIRC quests and enemies a few points over your level, let's say 5 or less, are quite doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Between replaying this, playing Thronebreaker and listening to the audiobooks, I decided I needed more Witcher in my life and had a go at Witcher 2. Holy crap the combat in the early hours is gruelling. Getting hammered by random mobs of Nekkers to the point where I'm just running away from them. Kind of ruining the whole mystique of being a bad ass monster slayer. Hope it gets easier

Cordell wrote: »
    Wasn't it an option to start the expansions from the main menu with a pre leveled up character? Or was it in a different game? :)
    IIRC quests and enemies a few points over your level, let's say 5 or less, are quite doable.

That'd be cool for those who haven't played in a long time and maybe lost their saves or want to continue the DLC on PC or whatever. As I'm playing the main game just now I'd like to keep my character/gear/exp, I'll see how it goes. If I can get close to 30 over the next few sessions I'll go that way but nice to know there's an alt option :)

skerry wrote: »
    Between replaying this, playing Thronebreaker and listening to the audiobooks, I decided I needed more Witcher in my life and had a go at Witcher 2. Holy crap the combat in the early hours is gruelling. Getting hammered by random mobs of Nekkers to the point where I'm just running away from them. Kind of ruining the whole mystique of being a bad ass monster slayer. Hope it gets easier

Have to say I didn't enjoy Witcher 2 at all, I still have it on steam but only managed to get to 10hrs or so before packing it in. That was a few years back, before the third was released. Never bothered with 3 because it wasn't on the 360 - only console I own, and my PC was junk [barely managed 2 at the time]. Got a new PC recently and after playing the stand alone Gwent past couple year I was much more interested in 3. I love hearing the lines from characters that i got to know so well in Gwent, add some familiarity for me. Find myself thinking 'come on, say the line!' when I come across certain characters, even the minor ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

For anyone advanced in this game, what level were you when you headed to Misty Isles? I'm only level 22 [almost 23], seem to have all the mains done and the game keeps encouraging me to head there. I have a bunch of side quests to do but they're never going to get me a whole lot higher, many of them I have half completed.

Also what level would you suggest before going for the DLC - do you begin those at your current level?

You jump up a few levels in quick succession once you start doing the misty Isle and after stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about levels, just keep going and enjoy!!

• Advertisement

You jump up a few levels in quick succession once you start doing the misty Isle and after stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about levels, just keep going and enjoy!!

Good plan, that's what I think I'll do for now. I'll be heading there soon enough, have all the ally missions complete

Have to say I didn't enjoy Witcher 2 at all, I still have it on steam but only managed to get to 10hrs or so before packing it in. That was a few years back, before the third was released. Never bothered with 3 because it wasn't on the 360 - only console I own, and my PC was junk [barely managed 2 at the time]. Got a new PC recently and after playing the stand alone Gwent past couple year I was much more interested in 3. I love hearing the lines from characters that i got to know so well in Gwent, add some familiarity for me. Find myself thinking 'come on, say the line!' when I come across certain characters, even the minor ones

Have you played Thronebreaker. Great game, and presentation is top notch in it. Really enjoying it now

Have you played Thronebreaker. Great game, and presentation is top notch in it. Really enjoying it now

Threathened to buy it when it was released but kept putting it off, must give it a go some time. I was playing Gwent daily at the time but I've strayed from it past few months. Didn't like some of the more recent changes. I have enoughin game currencies to create any deck possible still though, think I have about 85-90% of the cards. Used to really love it. TB is more a one off experience right? I think the version of Gwent they had in that game was when I liked it most [I realise it's different in game but presentation/graphics/layout wise]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Underrated gem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cordell wrote: »

Seems it's only the Switch version that allows you to dive straight into the DLCs with a preset character - strange it's not been extended to the GotY copies on other consoles.

Threathened to buy it when it was released but kept putting it off, must give it a go some time. I was playing Gwent daily at the time but I've strayed from it past few months. Didn't like some of the more recent changes. I have enoughin game currencies to create any deck possible still though, think I have about 85-90% of the cards. Used to really love it. TB is more a one off experience right? I think the version of Gwent they had in that game was when I liked it most [I realise it's different in game but presentation/graphics/layout wise]

I actually never played the stand alone Gwent game despite loving it in W3. The version of Gwent in Thronebreaker is a lot different from the one in the Wither 3 but I'm really enjoying it. There's normal 3 round battles and then one round battles with specific win conditions and also puzzle battles where you get a specific set of cards and have to solve the puzzle with them. Story, narration and presentation are great too. Think it's on Game Pass at the moment if you have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Seems it's only the Switch version that allows you to dive straight into the DLCs with a preset character - strange it's not been extended to the GotY copies on other consoles.

You can definitely just jump straight into the DLC on the ps4 too. Think it gives you something like a level 34 character.

I actually never played the stand alone Gwent game despite loving it in W3. The version of Gwent in Thronebreaker is a lot different from the one in the Wither 3 but I'm really enjoying it. There's normal 3 round battles and then one round battles with specific win conditions and also puzzle battles where you get a specific set of cards and have to solve the puzzle with them. Story, narration and presentation are great too. Think it's on Game Pass at the moment if you have that.

I have GP for PC, sadly it's not available through that. I might get it on steam though at somepoint, I have TW3 on there and also play Gwent through there now since they added it. The standalone Gwent is very like the one in TB I think though it has had numerous updates since. Probably the best looking card game out there, especially when you have the golden versions of the cards [animated] it looks really nice.

I braved it and went ahead to the Isle at level 23, needn't have worried too much, you get fast levelled right after, The quests there offer mad points.
    I went from 23 to 27 in less time than 22 to 23 :D 22-23 was certainly the longest haul.

I was a bit weak to take on Imlerith perhaps, took me 3 attempts and just about did it on third, once I figured his patterns [He's a LOT faster than you'd first think!] that really bumped me up. He was definitely the toughest fight thus far and I'm only playing on Story + sword

I felt the game kinda boots you along to make sure you're in the 30 range come endgame.

Finally got into Gwent last night after ducking it totally for 80+ hours. Sunk countless hours into building decks, so needless to add I finally get it now.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I felt the game kinda boots you along to make sure you're in the 30 range come endgame.

Finally got into Gwent last night after ducking it totally for 80+ hours. Sunk countless hours into building decks, so needless to add I finally get it now.

I have a bunch of Gwent side quests I've been ignoring, but as I wittle down all the others they are starting to stand out. As someone who's played stand alone Gwent since it's closed Beta I thought I'd enjoy playing it in game in it's old original form, but just can't get with it. Maybe I should give one Gwent only session in game a try! I have naff all cards though, the couple times I did try early on I got whooped

And yeah, felt like they do push you up in levels to make sure you're capable, I'm almost 29 now so could give HOS a go.

Lads Im done I think.

Didn't get into gwent or the skellige ?

At level 55, decked out in Urisine Mastercrafted gear.

What a game

Lads Im done I think.

Didn't get into gwent or the skellige ?

At level 55, decked out in Urisine Mastercrafted gear.

What a game

Have you gotten through the DLC?

I don't think the ? are that important, only for upgrading your gear. The Gear I'm using isn't all that great but has some decent resistance stats which is what gets me through tougher fights. As I approach the last bunch of quests I'm not in any hurry just to end it yet, so I might do some of those ? and at least give Gwent a bit of a go. I mean, I'm a vet at the game outside of TW I should find it simple enough given a chance.

Have you gotten through the DLC?

I don't think the ? are that important, only for upgrading your gear. The Gear I'm using isn't all that great but has some decent resistance stats which is what gets me through tougher fights. As I approach the last bunch of quests I'm not in any hurry just to end it yet, so I might do some of those ? and at least give Gwent a bit of a go. I mean, I'm a vet at the game outside of TW I should find it simple enough given a chance.

Yep went through the Dlc as well. Didn't really like hearts of stone but blood and wine was super

I actually tried to grind out some of the Skellige points of interest recently and it's pretty much as frustrating as the memes suggest. The stuff like the random chest in the middle of the water you expect, but then you get a '?' on a mountain somewhere and there's only one path up that you will never find even if you lived to be 1000. That's not to mention there's **** all worth getting there most of the time even when you do find the path/entrance/tiny hole in the ground. You're grand, like.

I spend the night chasing down Wolven gear - I don't know why as the stuff I have is better, and when I thought I had rounded it all up I find I skipped the enhanced versions somehow d'oh ... I have all the base and then superior don't know how I managed that. Tis a LOT of running about just for some armor that doesn't even seen that great. I'm using a mish-mash of Relic stuff I found along the way, Zireal armor that has much better stats than the wolven or Ursine from what I can tell [at least for my level 29] - Swords: Gwestog and Pang of conscience - Both have 3 slots and some good base stats though can't be upgraded so I will probably need something better soon. I can't even remember the trousers, boots or gauntlets I have donned, but they are all relic. Just about getting the right comination for my style, which is mostly Melee with Quen and Igni

Discovered the side-quest 'Extreme Cosplay' last night and couldn't believe the brutal spike in difficulty from just about the rest of the game. Getting 2-shot from off-screen fireballs doesn't really jive with how the game handles challenge. Genuinely surprised it's never appeared in any "most difficult Witcher encounters" lists. Maybe because it's super cheesable, I guess?

I'm approaching level 30 and pondering on giving HOS a try before finishing the main game [don't want to do that just yet as I think I'll do more exploring, maybe give some of the scavange hunts a try] Couple of questions on this: Do I carry the same inventory into HOS? and anything I find within HOS do I get to use in the main? I realise B&W is to only be started once the main story ends but, similar question - do I carry on with everything I gained in the main game or is a start afresh thing?

I carried on with my main build. But you get the option to play with a prebuilt character before you start the DLC

• Advertisement
Advertisement