Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Got it at launch,
    put in about 10 hours on the first island.
    Got to the 2nd island and I think I got really overwhelmed so quick that I gave up.
    That was years ago.
    I'm abit more mature now :P Gonna have to try it again see what all the fuss is about

I was the same, probably reached a bit where I was just flooded with icons and quests. What got me back in was following along with the main story and then picking and choosing the side quests. You could lose hours chasing up all question marks, but frankly that kinda stuff bores me in open world games. Thankfully the quest content - including lots of the side ones - is of uniquely high quality for a game of its ilk. Honestly this’d be a fairly ordinary game if there wasn’t an extra layer (or five) of polish on top of everything. But that polish is there, and it’s what makes it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Funny enough I gave the standalone game a go today and for me (based on an admittedly very short go) it loses that basic, primal simplicity of the mini-game. As someone online pointed out, in The Witcher 3 Gwent is primarily a collection game (building your deck and getting the overpower cards is the real pleasure), whereas in the standalone it’s a very competitive, highly balanced experience. I’m not big into competitive games, so I think that’s where the W3 version hits a sweet spot - a sense of constant progression where you’re playing for the cool rewards as much as the win.

I’ve only put two or three hours into the W3 version but have almost all the really strong cards at this stage. Just following the ‘Old Friends’ and ‘Big City Players’ quests got my a big chunk of the way to an excellent Northern Realms deck. Haven’t really experimented with the other factions as I’m still building up decks there.

I would say it's both for me as I have played the standalone version since Beta, so it's been both collecting along the way and competing I guess. It is a very generous game though I will say, for beginners - you get tonnes of free kegs [similar to packs in HS] and starter decks to jump right in without spending a cent. I imagine it's a bit overwhelming for anyone jumping in now as there's way more going on than older patches

I've played it through all it's patch phases and updates - I don't think the current state is my favorite gameplay-wise, [also by far not the worst, there has been terrible meta periods like gold immunity, Monster Nekker spamming and that time when every other deck had Geralt's 3 main Witcher pals plus alt versions of all 3] but then nostalgia kicks into play when I think back on earlier stages of the game. But it's definitely at it's best ever looking now and possibly most balanced. Even starter decks in the right hands can win or lose by just a few points against tier 1 meta decks, it really is more about experience play rather than p2w crafting the best decks from the off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Flying along, level 21 and still havent gone to Skeillige. Really got into Gwent at last over the past couple days so thats all I've done today with a couple of Witcher contracts. Couldn't figure Gwent out in my original play through but glad I got into it this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

On my third Playthrough. But for the first time ive hunted down real witcher gear, Griffon Style sadly I upgraded and now ive to wait till lvl 18 to wear it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Might start a new play-through when the 4k monitor arrives :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

On my third Playthrough. But for the first time ive hunted down real witcher gear, Griffon Style sadly I upgraded and now ive to wait till lvl 18 to wear it :(

I always went for them as I levelled up. Thought getting the plans was great for a little adventure and revealing map locations. Unfortunately, I used the wrong type of armor for both of my playthroughs because I'm a moron, e.g. Gryphon for fast strikes and Cat for Yrden/Quen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

What's the difference between game of the year edition and complete edition for Witcher 3 ?
    Also, what's a good price for Witcher 3 with all DLC physical ... I see < 20 quid at the moment on Amazon UK (xbox one).
    I know it's on game pass; but It looks like I'll need a couple of years to get through this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

nintendoo wrote: »
    What's the difference between game of the year edition and complete edition for Witcher 3 ?

Stolen from Reddit:

There's no difference, it's the same release that contains the base game + all possible expansions and dlc. The name difference is due to regional marketing. The PS4 edition is known as "Complete" in North America and "Game of the Year" in Europe, but as I said, contentwise it's the same game as the GOG GOTY. So pick your preferred platform and game away.

I got stung by buying the standard edition on Steam for €22 just over a week before they ran the GOTY Ed for €15 ... wasn't so bad, I had €9 in my Steam wallet that I'd completely forgotten about ... but still. Will get the DLC whenever it's on good sale again maybe.

Hit level 16 last night and sailed to Skellige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hit level 16 last night and sailed to Skellige

On the largest Skellige island directly north of is a small island (its on its own about the same distance to any other island), go there at level 16 ;):D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    On the largest Skellige island directly north of is a small island (its on its own about the same distance to any other island), go there at level 16 ;):D

I just might :D I'll be heading over that way to find the Master Armorer anyway, as it's one of my active quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finally made the decision to play this. Never played the others but it's on game pass so why not give it a bash.

Am liking it but man it's very hard. Am only level 3 and I just met Triss and I am coming up against level 10 enemies. Boo.

Also for the life of me I can't win a game of Gwent :pac: I get how to play it as some good YouTube videos. Just that everyone seems to have better cards.

Finally made the decision to play this. Never played the others but it's on game pass so why not give it a bash.

Am liking it but man it's very hard. Am only level 3 and I just met Triss and I am coming up against level 10 enemies. Boo.

Also for the life of me I can't win a game of Gwent :pac: I get how to play it as some good YouTube videos. Just that everyone seems to have better cards.

Sounds like you didnt spend long enough in Velen. Meeting Triss in Novigrad is like lvl 10 stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sounds like you didnt spend long enough in Velen. Meeting Triss in Novigrad is like lvl 10 stuff.

Yeah. You're right. Was doing the baron quest then decided to go off at meet Triss. Guess I'll just have to grind a bit more before going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

your cards are crap at the start. Buy some off innkeepers and merchants and you'll win some along the way. Gwent gets addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

micah537 wrote: »
    your cards are crap at the start. Buy some off innkeepers and merchants and you'll win some along the way. Gwent gets addictive.

And then you get to struggle with playing the game of "have i won a card off of this merchant yet?" :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

And then you get to struggle with playing the game of "have i won a card off of this merchant yet?" :pac::D

ah stop. First playthrough, I missed the Dandelion card. Second playthrough I wanted platinum, didn't realise in was such a pain to track every card down.

Started on both HoS and B&W over the past few days, which is best to complete first or is it best to do both together? Assume HoS as its based in the same areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Hearts of stone then blood and wine

• Advertisement

From what gather, you need to complete Wild Hunt before playing B&W, but you can play HOS at any stage [though possibly still best to wait]

Damn I need a Gwent card but the innkeeper isnt there. There is an innkeeper icon on the map but no one there. And I cant get the Wolf Armor because of a glitch.
    but I love this damn game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I feel like I'm the only person who played through this and didn't like Gwent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Damn I need a Gwent card but the innkeeper isnt there. There is an innkeeper icon on the map but no one there. And I cant get the Wolf Armor because of a glitch.
    but I love this damn game.

If I remember correctly and it's the part I'm thinking of then the innkeeper only appears at a certain time of day, possibly the evening time being an inn and all! But definitely meditate a few times and he should appear at some stage.

shrewdness wrote: »

I wouldn't say I didn't like it. I just didn't play all that much of it as collecting them all seemed like an unnecessary pain in the arse. I didn't like the trend of open world games adding tons of collectibles so was put off from the get go.

shrewdness wrote:

Didn't like it in my first play through but gave it another go and love it now!

Didn't like it in my first play through but gave it another go and love it now!

Yeah i got into it on me second play through too. Cant beat the rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

shrewdness wrote: »

I'm with you on this. I tried on each of my 3 (or 4, can't remember) breakthroughs, and it just isn't for me. There's a far better game to be playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Finished hearts of stone last night.

For 3 euros it was great value. It was a great story and picked up 2 rare swords.

Blood and wine next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

After 200+ hrs on this on Xbox for some reason I'm tempted to pick this up on Switch. Anyone here playing the Switch version, especially after coming from other platforms, how are you finding it? The thought of tipping away on this in handheld is appealing to me.

Advertisement