Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Had a good session on this last night, really picking up pace now. Just passed level 21. I had a bunch of quests that were criss-crossing and I think the game got a bit confused :D A few quests lines I started wouldn't update until I quit out and started other branches
    I'm at the point after we cured Uma and now must visit all Geralt's allies to round them up to fight the hunt - But say I visit Triss, she wants me to complete tasks I skipped earlier before she'll talk about it
    - so I went through the quest where you accompany her to the ball to sneak out some guy, and after finishing went to visit Kiera who I'd also neglected for ages and after she gave me a lamp for part of her quest the game failed to update ... I was stuck with no indication where to go
    I'll figure it out, but yeah, so much to do at this stage hard to keep track

Not sure if you want the help but
    you need to go to Fyke Isle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had a good session on this last night, really picking up pace now. Just passed level 21. I had a bunch of quests that were criss-crossing and I think the game got a bit confused :D A few quests lines I started wouldn't update until I quit out and started other branches
    I'm at the point after we cured Uma and now must visit all Geralt's allies to round them up to fight the hunt - But say I visit Triss, she wants me to complete tasks I skipped earlier before she'll talk about it
    - so I went through the quest where you accompany her to the ball to sneak out some guy, and after finishing went to visit Kiera who I'd also neglected for ages and after she gave me a lamp for part of her quest the game failed to update ... I was stuck with no indication where to go
    I'll figure it out, but yeah, so much to do at this stage hard to keep track

re: Keira
    IIRC, you go to Fyke Isle. Go to the tower and use the lamp to reveal things inside it. Quest will hopefully kick in when you do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ah cool, cheers lads. She did mention that, but I couldn't find it on the map/wasn't highlighting, will give it a bash tonight and hopefully it'll show up

re: Keira
    IIRC, you go to Fyke Isle. Go to the tower and use the lamp to reveal things inside it. Quest will hopefully kick in when you do that

This worked, cheers :)
    I had the lamp in my inventory so I knew the quest was open, I just couldn't get Kiera to repeat the instructions and I hadn't been to the island so it wasn't showing on the map.
    Quick google to get the location and it was sandwiched between places I had been to so wasn't hard to get to.

I will say to anyone just starting out, or in particular by the time you reach around level 16-20, get the side quests in early as where I'm at now is a bit of a chore trying to back track and round up all the ones I skipped initially. Many of them DO make a big difference, just a head's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

This worked, cheers :)
    I had the lamp in my inventory so I knew the quest was open, I just couldn't get Kiera to repeat the instructions and I hadn't been to the island so it wasn't showing on the map.
    Quick google to get the location and it was sandwiched between places I had been to so wasn't hard to get to.

I will say to anyone just starting out, or in particular by the time you reach around level 16-20, get the side quests in early as where I'm at now is a bit of a chore trying to back track and round up all the ones I skipped initially. Many of them DO make a big difference, just a head's up.

Pfff, I never left White Orchard

• Advertisement

Wise choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember the first time playing this, I made sure to clear White Orchard of everything I could before moving on, thinking, yeah, that's completely manageable. Then got to Velen and the size difference was immense. Lots of icons, but not in a bad, Ubisoft way. Tried my best to clear as much as I could, but could feel some burn out coming, so trekked on. Headed for Skellige. Yeah.

I wasn't paying much attention at one point when I decided to go on an adventure in a boat, next thing tonnes of quests started to come up as failed :O panicked a bit but it had asked me to save beforehand I just didn't pay attention to the warning. So, yeah watch out for that lol. Thankfully I could go back to that save and do a u turn, gtfo of there quick

I wasn't paying much attention at one point when I decided to go on an adventure in a boat, next thing tonnes of quests started to come up as failed :O panicked a bit but it had asked me to save beforehand I just didn't pay attention to the warning. So, yeah watch out for that lol. Thankfully I could go back to that save and do a u turn, gtfo of there quick

Ah, that stage before you go to
    The Isle of Mists to retrieve Ciri

Yeah, 'quest failed' spams your screen if you haven't completed certain quests by then, it's a pivotal point in the game.

Ah, that stage before you go to
    The Isle of Mists to retrieve Ciri

Yeah, 'quest failed' spams your screen if you haven't completed certain quests by then, it's a pivotal point in the game.

That's the very one, luckily I'd saved just before it and could get out of there pronto! I ended up there taking a bit of a break from all the rounding up side quests that would lead to this, but I'm way too low level to even rush it now [lvl 22]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I picked this game up when it released on Switch. I had played a few hours on xbox years previous but couldn't dedicate the time to a game that size.
    When i got it on switch i got much further in but found all the systems in the game too much and ended up abandoning it even though i loved most of it.
    Got to some boss that you needed specific bombs to beat. I didn't have the bombs, nor the items to craft them and if i did I'm not sure i would have known how to craft them. One of my swords was always red in the menu screen and no matter what i did i couldn't repair it.
    Haven't gone back to the game since.
    Loving the books and loved the Netflix show. The game was just too much multi tasking for me.

I picked this game up when it released on Switch. I had played a few hours on xbox years previous but couldn't dedicate the time to a game that size.
    When i got it on switch i got much further in but found all the systems in the game too much and ended up abandoning it even though i loved most of it.
    Got to some boss that you needed specific bombs to beat. I didn't have the bombs, nor the items to craft them and if i did I'm not sure i would have known how to craft them. One of my swords was always red in the menu screen and no matter what i did i couldn't repair it.
    Haven't gone back to the game since.
    Loving the books and loved the Netflix show. The game was just too much multi tasking for me.

I haven't come across any enemy yet that required bombs to defeat, you must've been deep enough into it? I'm level 22 and have used pretty much only swords, Quen and Igni on all enemies thus far. Only time I've used bombs was to clear monster nests, but they're not a necessity.

Any blacksmith should be able to repair your sword, after a while you pick up so many swords you end up throwing some away as you hit capacity on inventory - I also have plenty of on the move repair kits that I found in treasure chests.

There is a LOT of exploring and multi tasking and repairing and upgrading, it's not a game to casually play for an hour here or there. Not everyone has time or interest in that I understand

Maybe bombs isn't the right word. Might have been a spell or something. Was probably about 15 or 20 hours or so into the game.
    I definitely had the interest in the game but like you said, was playing for a half hour here and there. Sometimes I would go without playing for a week or 2 and not remember half of the controls or menu options.
    Not blaming the game. What I played I mostly loved but I couldnt dedicate the time to it. Which has me worried I won't be able to play Cyberpunk when it comes out. Stadia might help with that being able to play on my phone as well as browser and tv. But probably not likely.

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There was a point relatively early in the game where you had to fight a Werewolf if I remember, and it was a big leap in difficulty to beat it (or I thought it was anyway). I remember getting stuck there for a while. Was that the part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

awec wrote: »
    There was a point relatively early in the game where you had to fight a Werewolf if I remember, and it was a big leap in difficulty to beat it (or I thought it was anyway). I remember getting stuck there for a while. Was that the part?

Was that around the quest where there was a spirit trapped in a tree and you had a choice to release it or not.

Hellavu a fight alright.

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was that around the quest where there was a spirit trapped in a tree and you had a choice to release it or not.

Hellavu a fight alright.

It was the Ladies of the Wood quest. I think it was around the same time as the tree quest you mention.

It was the first time you come across a Werewolf in the game as part of the story, and because you are relatively low levelled with not great gear I remember struggling to deal with the health regen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

It was the Ladies of the Wood quest. I think it was around the same time as the tree quest you mention.

It was the first time you come across a Werewolf in the game as part of the story, and because you are relatively low levelled with not great gear I remember struggling to deal with the health regen.

There's a skill in the red skill tree on the far right called 'Undying' that consumes adrenaline points and turns then into vitality when vitality reaches 0. Saved my skin a good few times, very handy for tougher fights.

It can be a case of rushing into quests too early also - This happened to me with the Bloody Baron quest [Family matters], there's a fight within that quest line that was just beyond me as I jumped into it at level 4. I ended up going to a previous save [thank God for multiple save slots, all games should have this!] and also realised then I could bail on main quests just before a major event and return later [A main NPC will ask you if you are ready, where you're given the option to meet them later - if you're not geared up use this to go gather]. I came back to that point at level 7 or 8 I think and breezed through it. Lots of exploring and some upgrading weapons and armor helped a tonne.

Also, for anyone who feels they messed up their skills/ability tree or wasted a lot of points on skills they didn't end up using much, you do get a chance to re-arrange this later. There might be more of this available elsewhere but I got a potion from Kiera [might only appear in her store after you've done the quests with her] that allows you to get back all your points and wipe that skill tree clean

For me, I wnt all in on Quen and fast/strong melee attacks and find I'm pretty strong now. I did blow some points on things I've not used and I do have that potion now, just need to think about a better build for my style. Not big on alchemy for example, and never use cross bows [think I've used it maybe twice to fend off drowners under water]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

It can be a case of rushing into quests too early also - This happened to me with the Bloody Baron quest [Family matters], there's a fight within that quest line that was just beyond me as I jumped into it at level 4. I ended up going to a previous save [thank God for multiple save slots, all games should have this!] and also realised then I could bail on main quests just before a major event and return later [A main NPC will ask you if you are ready, where you're given the option to meet them later - if you're not geared up use this to go gather]. I came back to that point at level 7 or 8 I think and breezed through it. Lots of exploring and some upgrading weapons and armor helped a tonne.

Also, for anyone who feels they messed up their skills/ability tree or wasted a lot of points on skills they didn't end up using much, you do get a chance to re-arrange this later. There might be more of this available elsewhere but I got a potion from Kiera [might only appear in her store after you've done the quests with her] that allows you to get back all your points and wipe that skill tree clean

For me, I wnt all in on Quen and fast/strong melee attacks and find I'm pretty strong now. I did blow some points on things I've not used and I do have that potion now, just need to think about a better build for my style. Not big on alchemy for example, and never use cross bows [think I've used it maybe twice to fend off drowners under water]

I ignored Alchemy for most of my first playthrough. Went alchemy tank for DLC and have been using it in NG+ and its super powerful. Haven't put a single point into signs. With the right synergies your pretty much indestructible.

That sounds like it could have been it. You had to go down into a cave for the fight. Everytime you got the enemies health down to about halfway it would run and hide and regenerate its health. A quick google told me I needed a specific potion or spell or bomb to stop it from regenerating health. Had no clue how to get that and haven't returned since :(

• Advertisement

If it is the werewolf in the cave fight I just went at him with a sword, but I didn't try that mission until I was a bit higher level and found it pretty easy. It really can be how well equipped you are, the armor you're using [how good your dodging technique is, better to dodge than roll btw] and the weapons you have at the stage you enter these quests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Go get some green Witcher gear, buff your Quen and use the correct oil. Those 3 things in themselves make even Death March a cake-walk.

I haven't come across any enemy yet that required bombs to defeat, you must've been deep enough into it? I'm level 22 and have used pretty much only swords, Quen and Igni on all enemies thus far. Only time I've used bombs was to clear monster nests, but they're not a necessity.

Any blacksmith should be able to repair your sword, after a while you pick up so many swords you end up throwing some away as you hit capacity on inventory - I also have plenty of on the move repair kits that I found in treasure chests.

There is a LOT of exploring and multi tasking and repairing and upgrading, it's not a game to casually play for an hour here or there. Not everyone has time or interest in that I understand

Throw sword's away? Sure you might as well be setting Florens on fire

Throw sword's away? Sure you might as well be setting Florens on fire

Not even kidding, thrown dozens away - this would be when I'm reaching capacity when exploring, the swords you'd find in crappier chests and on dead bandits. They're barely worth carrying back to a trader, they're worth so little. I have something like 4K orens and already have decent swords for my level, really don't need to keep collecting 'Skellige long sword' - any half decent sword with slots I'll keep, stick in the safe chest, or sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Not even kidding, thrown dozens away - this would be when I'm reaching capacity when exploring, the swords you'd find in crappier chests and on dead bandits. They're barely worth carrying back to a trader, they're worth so little. I have something like 4K orens and already have decent swords for my level, really don't need to keep collecting 'Skellige long sword' - any half decent sword with slots I'll keep, stick in the safe chest, or sell on.

4,000 coins is peanuts which you will eat through if you do any type of crafting of swords or armour. You'll end up rueing you threw away all that free money! It's all about the coin!

You can easily fast travel back to Hattori in Novigrad and dump everything on him. He usually has a good bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

You can easily fast travel back to Hattori in Novigrad and dump everything on him. He usually has a good bank account

Not always that easy if you're in the middle of a cave system or whatever. I remember having to dump a lot of stuff, that i would have sold otherwise, when completing an early mission with Keira.

Same as when i'm just out and about meandering from location to location, if i'm overburdened i'll keep what i can and dump the rest, but useless swords and armour that would only get you 10 coin or so each isn't worth keeping.

Yeah even fast tracking to and fro just to get a few measely coins gets tiring, I don't want the game to be a complete chore! 4K is what I have left after buying lots of stuff, inc the 1K potion from Kiera. And it's beginning to accumulate faster as I find decent gear that is actually worth selling. If I cleared out my safe stash I'd have double that I imagine.

It'd been a while but I think I got a mod that gives you infinite carry space. I usually do in these games. Feck inventory management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I did the same as that is the only thing about these games is I'm a hoarder

Advertisement