Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I carried on with my main build. But you get the option to play with a prebuilt character before you start the DLC

If you do this, do you get to carry anything you gain in HOS back to the main game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Yep. Once you finish the dlc and beat the boss you get a pretty decent sword which you can continue to carry into Blood and Wine

Just finished the main Wild Hunt ... phew ... that was a ride - last few quests in particular. Is it me or did the graphis ramp up for the last few? it looked amazing in particular for the final showdowns

Anyway, done, at level 33 [just about tipping 34] and I'd left so much undone. About 100hrs in [might be a lot of idle afk time in that]

The ending I got:
    Couple of weird glitches from the point where I had to visit Avalach on the ship onward - One was the text never showed up when they were re-grouping in the tent making plans, and though the game continued and I could click decisions I couldn't see what they were so I had to restart there - One major one was the fight with Caranthir, after I switched from Ciri to Geralt he [Caranthir] just stayed froze on the spot and I was able to beat him without any comeback ... tempted to re start from save but I was afraid I'd lose everything leading up and forgot where I'd last hard saved - bit disappointing but hey, easiest boss fight ever! Beat Eredin in one though it took about 10 minutes! and don't know if I got the good or supposed bad ending, as all game I just made my own decisions, never checked up on what to do or choose - Ciri goes on to be the Emperess and Geralt and Yen live in peace away from the madness

DLing the expansions now - Steam has the pair for 9.99 - of course I got burned after buying the main game for 20, 2 weeks later they had GOTY edition inc both expansions for 15 ... eurgh ... oh well, best I can find them for atm. Obviously going to go with HOS first off, and I'm going to take my original character along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

Id love to go back to a time before id ever played W3 and the DLC. Such an epic series of games. Replaying is just not the same. :(

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Id love to go back to a time before id ever played W3 and the DLC. Such an epic series of games. Replaying is just not the same. :(

I held off finishing the main story for a while now, was doing side quests, not playing it for a bit, returning to side quests ... just didn't want it to end. I'll be taking my time in the DLC. In saying that I clocked 100hrs in wild hunt [and only got to level 34! so much to do in this game] , I would say a LOT of that was running about chasing side quests and a lot of idle time too, probably more like 60-70hrs actual involved gameplay but it didn't feel that long. Was surprised when I checked on STeam how long I'd played for total - the only other game I can think of that I played as much is Skyrim, oh and maybe Legend of Zelda: OOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Glebee wrote: »

Recently finished blood and wine too, and was genuinely sad it was over. If I ever replay it it’ll be years from now I’d say.

I started out in HOS last night, I can see why they recommend you don't go there until at least level 30. All enemies are much tougher than even the later levels in the main, even random bandits are level 30+ I think and take a lot longer to put down. Played for a couple of hours and clocked up another couple of levels and gained some more ability points which helps a lot - Beat the first Boss [Got my @ss handed to me on the first 2 attempts, but figured it out handy enough] Also ... something I'd ignored [that definitely helped for that boss fight] ... creating greater mutagens! My stat tree was only giving 20% boost to melee combat and signs, got them up to 40% now. How did I miss that!? Had hundreds of lesser mutagen just going spare

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I remember right, the boss at the start of HOS is one of the hardest parts in the whole expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I think I remember the same actually. Serious difficulty spike. Took ages to beat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

awec wrote: »
    If I remember right, the boss at the start of HOS is one of the hardest parts in the whole expansion.

It is until you realise spamming igni melts him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Both expansions scream of "you've had your fun. now die." The end fight of (HoS spoilers)
    "Scenes from a Marriage" (having already dealt with that dude at the start) jackknifed me so hard I thought that was that for my run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Both expansions scream of "you've had your fun. now die." The end fight of (HoS spoilers)
    "Scenes from a Marriage" (having already dealt with that dude at the start) jackknifed me so hard I thought that was that for my run.

That was tough alright, but it reminded me that it possibly one of the most unique and captivating quests I’ve ever come across in any game, ever. A masterclass in storytelling and level design.

Only two quests that ever game me real problems in this were the
    Frog
    and the
    final boss in B&W, vampire buck, can’t remember his name
    , but in fairness I never played on the highest difficulty.

It is until you realise spamming igni melts him

This and get your Quen right up to max. It is tough at first, a bit of a shock to the system in that it just happens so fast [and also the boss itself is one of the fastest attacking] Maybe I got a little lucky with my Dodge and rolls and good timing on my Igni attacks then switching to Quen when I had a bit of breathing space - then got in behind 'it' to melee attack.

But got it done on third try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Brilliant! Been delaying another playthrough till the PS5 arrives and that just makes it even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hope this upgrade won't be limited to people that just bought the GOTY edition. I bought the expansions separately and when GOG did their giveaway a few months ago I only recieved the regular edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

ERG89 wrote: »
    I hope this upgrade won't be limited to people that just bought the GOTY edition. I bought the expansions separately and when GOG did their giveaway a few months ago I only recieved the regular edition.

Yeah I have the base game on disc for ps4 and digital season pass. Hopefully they clarify which editions get the upgrade

Reselling it on PC is odd

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

HDR support on PC please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Reselling it on PC is odd

How? If you already have it the upgrade it's free.
    As for HDR I think a proper job involves much more than new RT effects and high res textures.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's all versions apparently, so that's great.

Cordell wrote: »
    As for HDR I think a proper job involves much more than new RT effects and high res textures.

I missed the part where it said it was free

Cordell wrote: »

They have HDR on the current gen console versions already.
    Perhaps I'm being ignorant but is it that much work to get it working on PC?

Same here, bought Wild Hunt stand alone and just recently got the 2 expansions. That would suck hard if they did that, I doubt it though

Azza wrote: »

I've seen some streamers play it on Ps4 and thought it looked a bit crappy toward what I get on PC. It looked softer, less detailed, maybe they weren't running the HDR? Maybe it was down to their streaming set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH I don't know :) Maybe we will get it with the new version then.

There's mods out there to beef up the res for this game, was going to try them but now I think I'll wait on the official upgrade

I've seen some streamers play it on Ps4 and thought it looked a bit crappy toward what I get on PC. It looked softer, less detailed, maybe they weren't running the HDR? Maybe it was down to their streaming set up?

HDR doesn't have a bearing on picture quality in terms of softness or level of detail and naturally PC will have an advantage in those aspects.

Even if the stream you where watching was broadcasting in HDR you would need a HDR monitor/TV as well as compatible web browser to be capable of getting the full experience from it.

What HDR does is offer much brighter colours. Having watched HDR content via 4K Blu Rays on an OLED TV I'm a big fan of the technology.

Its the one area where PC gaming has lagged behind consoles. Far fewer PC games support it then console games though the situation is improving. HDR support on Windows 10 was up till recently quite flaky to even get working and as a feature was far less common on computer monitors than on modern TV's. I suspect that's the reason the developers decided not to bother implementing HDR on the PC version at the time when they updated the consoles version to feature it.

If you want to see it running in HDR here is a video of it. You will need to run it in Google Chrome and have a HDR capable screen to view it in HDR.

• Advertisement

HDR doesn't have a bearing on picture quality in terms of softness or level of detail and naturally PC will have an advantage in those aspects.

Even if the stream you where watching was broadcasting in HDR you would need a HDR monitor/TV as well as compatible web browser to be capable of getting the full experience from it.

What HDR does is offer much brighter colours. Having watched HDR content via 4K Blu Rays on an OLED TV I'm a big fan of the technology.

Its the one area where PC gaming has lagged behind consoles. Far fewer PC games support it then console games though the situation is improving. HDR support on Windows 10 was up till recently quite flaky to even get working and as a feature was far less common on computer monitors than on modern TV's. I suspect that's the reason the developers decided not to bother implementing HDR on the PC version at the time when they updated the consoles version to feature it.

If you want to see it running in HDR here is a video of it. You will need to run it in Google Chrome and have a HDR capable screen to view it in HDR.

I guess I was thinking of HDR more akin to HDR in photography, you don't need a special monitor to view HDR images in that case. Some of the streams I saw where they were running the ps4 version the game looked a bit 'muddy' - less clear/sharp than what I see on the PC. I only ever play or view 1080p though, but on the likes of twitch most only stream at 1080p 60 max.

Advertisement