Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hopefully cdpr have learnt their lesson and are going to go back to the well and create a new fantasy rpg game, even if if it isn't The Witcher and a new IP entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It's pretty unreal that the game of the year edition of this with all the dlc is less than a tenner on Xbox sale at the moment and a free next gen update is coming out this year and I've yet to play this! Sweet!

I wouldn't be expecting that update this year, have a feeling it will be pushed into next year. Still well worth buying in advance though. 10 quid would be a steal for just one of the DLCs alone, let alone everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Back to playing this for my 100th platinum milestone and just cleaning up some trophies in free roam. Was surprised how quickly I adapted to the controls having not played for 3 years. Combat is still caca but man what an incredible world.

I can't believe these are the same devs who made Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is fun but The Witcher 3 is another level. The overall aesthetic is just so mythic.
    Everything about the world is so alive and every element within it is harmonious. Nothing feels out of place; there is a clear direction of what it wants to be. The weather, the animals, the way the leaves blow in the wind, the NPC dialogue and the music, omg, the music. I remember when Assassin's Creed used to have non situational ambient music throughout and this is very much a throwback to that. Graphically, yes it is showing its age now but the PS5 patch will take care of that.

Gonna start a Death march playthrough without NG+ as I saved over my original campaign and you can't do multiple NG+.
    Heard Death march is hell before level 10. Nothing I can't handle though. ;)

My only experience of Death March is with an Alchemy Tank Build and its been more than manageable. Popping potions like a mad yolk during battle, their a very powerful build to go with. I've kind of put that play through on hold though after I finished the Bloody Baron quest line cos I want to wait for the next gen patch. While I wait for that though I've been dipping into it on Switch and have about 40hrs played on that. Like you said, the fact that CD Projekt put together such an awesome world here makes Cyberpunk even more baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So finished Cyberpunk earlier this year then Mass Effect 1 a few weeks ago,decided to go back to the witcher 3 to take take break from shooter rpgs and after not making it out of White Orchard when I tried to play it originally.

I'm not sure its the best game ever like some feel but I have to say I'm really enjoying it now. Feel like everything has just clicked.

I'm level 19 and about to head to Skellige. It's strange though,the valen map still has a load of markers but I'm starting to feel a tad over levelled for some of it then way under levelled from some side quests,not a lot left at my actual level. I guess it wants you to come back later so that's what I'm gonna do. I don't want to be to over levelled for skellige either. At this point I'm getting a little sick of all the running around in Novigrad anyway:P

Anyway,enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I played everything as it unlocked and I was levelled for, but by the last third of the game I was way overpowered for every mission. Its not possible to okay every quest at the intended level. On my second playthrough I stuck to doing the main quests when I was at or just before it's level. Left a lot of stuff undone.

I'll agree its not the best game ever like its touted, but it's certainly one of them. I even enjoyed the combat while that seemed to be the main gripe people had with it, but it was the attention to detail, a proper story with properly written side quests, and a at the time graphically lovely game (and improved much since, looking forward to the PS5 version). It ticked nearly all the boxes for most people.

And you're just heading to Skellige and you think there's a lot of ?'s in Velen? Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Have a look at the poison build i think it was called. I played blind on my first time though it when it came out on deathmarch and there were 2 real pressure points, where you are now maybe the Botchling fight and the second to last boss fight I think, sorry can't recall the name now it's been ages.

Outside of that it was fine, liberal use of Quen. Leaving stuff till you've levelled up etc.

When I played it the second time for the GOTY edition I breezed through it with the build I mentioned, I'll see if I can find it and post a link if I do, but pretty sure it was poison build something or other.

Both times I did all the achievements in one run which was some fluke on my blind first run as there are a few things you can mess up with side quests etc.

On the cash flow in the game I've something in the back of my mind that it was an issue early on but wasn't really a problem for me later, you do have to sell stuff but not really go out or your way to farm as long as you pick everything up as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Death March is still a walk in the park, even without Quen. Dodge roll attack, dodge roll attack, ad infinitum.

Much prefer being skint than having access to everything. The economy is great until you get to Novigrad and trade in all the currency at the bank. Then you can just fill your pockets when you want.

Deathmarch isn't that hard, it is just irritating until about 30% of the way into the game, then the difficulty is just fine and it stays like that until the final boss when it goes back to irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

When ye are doing these runs are ye doing all the side quests as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Trying to play this again since 2015 with my 'latest' save... I am completely lost with the story, controls, and everything. Noob again! :p

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Trying to play this again since 2015 with my 'latest' save... I am completely lost with the story, controls, and everything. Noob again! :p

Just start again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah taking a couple of years/months (heck even weeks if you ask me) break with a game and jumping back in doesnt really work out too well with games these days. Unless its something like Super Mario..

I would also recommend a restart, although if you can see yourself doing the same thing again after awhile, you should probably focus on more linear/shorter games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

nix wrote: »
    Yeah taking a couple of years/months (heck even weeks if you ask me) break with a game and jumping back in doesnt really work out too well with games these days. Unless its something like Super Mario..

I would also recommend a restart, although if you can see yourself doing the same thing again after awhile, you should probably focus on more linear/shorter games.

witcher-meme-side-quest.jpg

^^That pic is so spot on:P

Pretty sure im at the end or very close now,
    Currently rummaging through Avallac'h's room,feels like it building up to the end now

Ive logged ~80hrs so far,spent the last few before this next mission gathering a superior set of wolven gear,as i feel im coming toward the end of the main quest thought it would be nice to have a decently upgraded set,even if on normally difficulty i havent had anything to really test me other than Ifrit(Is there any way to avoid damage and kill these?) in the last while

Rather stupidly i was building random pieces of witcher sets while not focusing on just one so i did have to grind a few mats and coin but got there in the end. Ill go straight to the DLC when the main game is done i reckon. Be nice to see a new setting at this point.

The game has its flaws but ive generally really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

EoinHef wrote: »
    ...i havent had anything to really test me other than Ifrit(Is there any way to avoid damage and kill these?) in the last while...

IIRC, a mixture of using some dimeritium ombs, elementa oil for the sword and Aard to blow them out. Google says to use Northern Wind, but I've no recollection of what that is! And Quen to avoid 1 hit anyway.

Finished the main game story line last night. Lvl 35 and moving onto hearts of stone now.

Interesting start,few decisions early that feel pivotal. No idea how there gonna turn out but I feel there's a weight to them. Feel like I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Combat.....its tough,in the sense that its a bit boring. 90+ hours into the game and I'm feeling the strain of it. Fancier swords armor become less and less important as there simply and indulgence,not needed.

Travelling the world has become quite mundane too,all to often I'm now looking for the closest fast travel point rather than thinking I'll enjoy the trek.

Small slights on what for me is a great game. As a total package it's quite good. Just some areas where they could have improved for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

EoinHef wrote: »
    Finished the main game story line last night. Lvl 35 and moving onto hearts of stone now.

Interesting start,few decisions early that feel pivotal. No idea how there gonna turn out but I feel there's a weight to them. Feel like I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Combat.....its tough,in the sense that its a bit boring. 90+ hours into the game and I'm feeling the strain of it. Fancier swords armor become less and less important as there simply and indulgence,not needed.

Travelling the world has become quite mundane too,all to often I'm now looking for the closest fast travel point rather than thinking I'll enjoy the trek.

Small slights on what for me is a great game. As a total package it's quite good. Just some areas where they could have improved for me.

I envy you playing that expansion for the first time. Heart of Stone is one of my favorite expansions of all time, up there with Opposing Force for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Both DLC are awesome, probably the best DLC I've ever played. Their as long as a lot of main campaigns in other games.

Didn't see it having its own thread but I finished Thronebreaker today. Brilliant game and would highly recommend if you had a passing interest in Gwent in the main game and are into the whole Witcher universe. The version of Gwent is very different but the presentation is top class. Really good story, characters and narration really make the game. I've several of the Witcher books finished at this stage and noticed several nods to stories and characters in the books which you would completely miss otherwise, nice touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Surprised we're not already full of "watch it take 10 years and still be rushed" comments, but Cyberpunk really, really did a number of CDPR's goodwill that it looks like people are just over it rather than harbouring any lingering anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think many still have justifiable anger over what happened with Cyberpunk, but the idea of TW4 is still so far out that it's barely worth commenting on. Plus you would certainly have to hope that they've learnt enough lessons from what happened with Cyberpunk that they're not going to risk doing the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I will buy Cyberpunk when its 9.99 and do the same for TW4 in 2045.

This coming from someone who spent 29.99 on TW3 DLCs! (i admittedly got the game for free by a trade on here and racked up 200+ hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wanted CP to be great, not mad into the futuristic style of games like this but after finishing The Witcher 3 I needed something epic, CP turned out not to be and glad I held off. If it ever gets to a stage where there's no issues/bugs/general crappiness, then I might bite but like above, when it's 9.99 or free!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The native PS5/XSX versions of The Witcher 3 have been delayed. No longer releasing in Q2 2022.

Advertisement