Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you deal with in everyday life? ***Mod Note in first post. Please read***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It is if the implication is that their argument is flawed specifically because they are a woman/man, not because of a flaw in the argument itself.

He referred to "The Regina Monologues", and people here are seriously trying to claim he was using "fanny" in the U.S. sense.

Really?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

drumswan wrote: »
    Is being gender specific when insulting someone considered sexist?

It absolutely can be. If you criticise a woman's application to work for example because of pregnancy then it's very much sexist.

I really don't consider Norris' comments as sexist, though I can understand how some might see them that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

B0jangles wrote: »
    He referred to "The Regina Monologues", and people here are seriously trying to claim he was using "fanny" in the U.S. sense.

People who think he meant fanny in the US sense are utterly deluded. No one in Ireland uses the term fanny to mean bum. No one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

...No one in Ireland uses the term fanny to mean bum. No one...

Fanny pack is starting to catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It is if the implication is that their argument is flawed specifically because they are a woman/man, not because of a flaw in the argument itself.

Really?

It's because the pun is being informed by the Vagina Monologues. So yes it is very possible to read it that way.

• Advertisement

Fanny pack is starting to catch on.

Where exactly?

Where exactly?

I've heard it used by people I know in both Cork and Dublin. As in ''I'll just bring my Faaaaannnnny pack out with me rather than my handbag' etc...

More often that not I've heard it pronounced in a rather disparaging manner, hence I would assume it's being used in a mimicking sense based on something from current popular culture (some TV show, etc). It's exactly in this manner that new phrases and idioms will enter a dialect though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Really?

I don't see how Norris did that though. He may have used a term specific to females but didn't imply that her gender had anything to do with it. As far as I'm concerned its the same as saying she's talking out of her arse. I think calling it sexist is a bit OTT. Inappropriate? Yes. Sexist? Not so much.

I've heard it used by people I know in both Cork and Dublin. As in ''I'll just bring my Faaaaannnnny pack out with me rather than my handbag' etc...

This doesnt make a whole lot of sense as a fanny pack is not a handbag.

This doesnt make a whole lot of sense as a fanny pack is not a handbag.

The inference would have been that the fanny pack would serve the purpose just as well as a handbag e.g. to hold belongings such as phone , keys , and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I don't see how Norris did that though. He may have used a term specific to females but didn't imply that her gender had anything to do with it. As far as I'm concerned its the same as saying she's talking out of her arse. I think calling it sexist is a bit OTT. Inappropriate? Yes. Sexist? Not so much.

I think the fact that he used a term specific to females implies that her gender did have something to do with it. If it didn't, why didn't he just say talking out of her arse?

To me, it sounds like "talking out of her fanny" is similar to thinking with it, it sounds like he was implyin she's not even thinking about what she's saying and her vagina is doing the talking. Which is pretty sexist, I think. Just made me more convinced we shouldn't be paying taxes to support the Seanad tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think the fact that he used a term specific to females implies that her gender did have something to do with it. If it didn't, why didn't he just say talking out of her arse?

To me, it sounds like "talking out of her fanny" is similar to thinking with it, it sounds like he was implyin she's not even thinking about what she's saying and her vagina is doing the talking. Which is pretty sexist, I think. Just made me more convinced we shouldn't be paying taxes to support the Seanad tbh.

I just can't see that myself but maybe that's just me. I took it more as Norris being Norris and using fanny because he wouldn't say a word like arse. I know that sounds ridiculous but it makes sense in my head!

Saying arse wouldn't change the statement in head at all so I can't see the sexism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

it sounds like he was implyin she's not even thinking about what she's saying and her vagina is doing the talking.
    In fairness to the guy I don't think he was doing any more than a play on words on the "The Vagina Monologues", a case of too clever for his own good.
    Which is pretty sexist, I think.
    I think he certainly intended to imply she was prattling on. Which is certainly unprofessional and discourtious, but not necessarily sexist in this case.
    Just made me more convinced we shouldn't be paying taxes to support the Seanad tbh.
    Its certainly an argument against the sort of retirement club we have currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

In fairness to the guy I don't think he was doing any more than a play on words on the "The Vagina Monologues"

Exactly, I don't think any sexism was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

David Norris' awful remarks last week showed us all that stinks in modern Irish politics. His remark was nasty, angry, sexist and crude all in one. Very unfitting of a man who is educated and has been a senator for years.

If we are paying for this, I think the people deserve far better than a shower of idiots insulting each other like this. Norris' remarks were among the most ill-natured I have heard.

But who is David Norris?

Independent Fine Gael type senator for decades, self styled Southern unionist, gay rights advocate, lecturer, Joyce scholar. He is the anti-Jackie Healy Ray who you won't find making culchie remarks but can be loud, brash and insulting in the extreme.

He would not like it if someone said some remark about him regarding his sexual orientation or his religion for example. But yet he felt entitled to insult a woman.

I complained about the heat to the bus driver. He told me to man up.

I can't believe you noticed the driver's gender, that's so unenlightened of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I just can't see that myself but maybe that's just me. I took it more as Norris being Norris and using fanny because he wouldn't say a word like arse. I know that sounds ridiculous but it makes sense in my head!

Saying arse wouldn't change the statement in head at all so I can't see the sexism

The Irish Times did a story on it where they actually searched through the Seanad records. They found that he has regularly used the word fanny and in every other occasion, he uses it in place of arse.

While I think he was rude to Regina, I don't think what he said was sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

He surely would have said the exact same to a man though, why was it sexist? Should he have told you to woman up? :)

vitani wrote: »
    The Irish Times did a story on it where they actually searched through the Seanad records. They found that he has regularly used the word fanny and in every other occasion, he uses it in place of arse.

While I think he was rude to Regina, I don't think what he said was sexist.

Whether he meant it as a sexist remark or not, it is a very unfitting word for the Seanad and a further excuse for its abolition. No wonder our country is the mess it is when insulting each other takes precedence over ideas to get business moving in the Dail and Seanad.

TOO much debate and not enough brainstorming, think thanks and consensus reaching. And to make matters worse, it is unintelligent debate most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Whether he meant it as a sexist remark or not, it is a very unfitting word for the Seanad and a further excuse for its abolition. No wonder our country is the mess it is when insulting each other takes precedence over ideas to get business moving in the Dail and Seanad.

TOO much debate and not enough brainstorming, think thanks and consensus reaching. And to make matters worse, it is unintelligent debate most of the time.

October is the time to vote them out. I never know what Norris does be even saying all you hear is screeching out of him.

October is the time to vote them out. I never know what Norris does be even saying all you hear is screeching out of him.

True. If this referendum goes ahead, the conduct in the last week or so does not aid the cause of the existence of the Seanad. We had Tony 'Willie Power/Maurice Hickey' Mulcahy doing his little bit of Killinaskully for light relief before Norris came along and does his Hitler.

It is true that you often can't hear what Norris says. His nasty statements and shouting are not the actions of a sane man. We are probably lucky he did not become president (and he was an early frontrunner in that campaign). You would never know what remark could come out of his mouth and he could make us a pariah state even as if we aren't bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Back to the everyday stuff...

I'm used to getting sexism in work but this drunken creep for the last week has called me pet, darling, sweetie everytime he comes to the counter. Like a bloody litany. He keeps asking me why I don't cheer up. I'm generally quite a smiley person but just... AAAAARGGGGGHHHHH!

I wish could tell customers to eff off....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ivytwine wrote: »
    Back to the everyday stuff...

I'm used to getting sexism in work but this drunken creep for the last week has called me pet, darling, sweetie everytime he comes to the counter. Like a bloody litany. He keeps asking me why I don't cheer up. I'm generally quite a smiley person but just... AAAAARGGGGGHHHHH!

I wish could tell customers to eff off....

I hate when someone 'cheer up, it might never happen'. All I can think is 'it just has buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

newport2 wrote: »
    He surely would have said the exact same to a man though, why was it sexist? Should he have told you to woman up? :)

The phrase itself is sexist - it's saying that to toughen up you need to be more manly. Women can be tough too :)

The phrase itself is sexist - it's saying that to toughen up you need to be more manly. Women can be tough too :)

Sure. But the US uses lots of different versions of it. "Lawyer up." "Keep your Irish up.. For example. There's no woman up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Sure. But the US uses lots of different versions of it. "Lawyer up." "Keep your Irish up.. For example. There's no woman up.

What the hell do these mean? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What the hell do these mean? :pac:

"Lawyer up" basically means to hire a lawyer. I've never heard of "keep your Irish up" in all my time in the U.S. :pac:

I don't think either have the same sort of connotation as "Man up" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

I have heard a YouTuber say "woman up"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Really?! "Man up" is sexist?!?

There's people struggling to put food on the table and you got offended by the phrase "man up"!?

Advertisement