Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 11 (VOAT)

Options
  • 04-02-2013 10:01am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's time for another Variations on a Theme contest. This one is number 11 and the theme this time will be open to everyone, with no maximum number of entrants and no requirement to state your intention to participate beforehand.

To enter, simply write a short story of up to 2000 words. The limit is strict this time: 2001 words means instant disqualification. There is no lower limit.

The theme of the story this time round is as follows:

Sam comes home to find the mysterious letters VOAT daubed on the garage door.

You may submit and resubmit at any time between the moment you receive your synopsis and the end of the contest by PMing me your story. The competition will close at 23.59:59 on the 17th of February 2013.

For anyone new to our short story contests, you can see previous editions here and here.

Some stories themselves can be seen here and here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am seriously struggling with a story for this. If I can not think one up I may have to drop out. Please forgive me and not think too badly of me, I am trying very hard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can't drop out as there's no dropping in :) There are two weeks before you even need to begin thinking about a story, then up to an hour to write it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Rubecula comes home to find the mysterious letters VOAT daubed on the garage door...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

so i can just write a story based on that heading? About anything to do with it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Insect Overlord arrived home to find the mysterious letters VOAT daubed on the garage door. This was particularly mysterious as his house didn't have a garage, and because "daub" was a verb he'd rarely associate with the use of his favourite carrot and coriander soup...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

This synopsis - am I receiving it telepathically? (Brain has been rather pathetic of late, think lack of jobz has made head melt internally.)

Actually, despite all my bs to the contrary, I have managed to not write a single iota in a good 6 months.

Think it's time to force myself to think a little bit again. YAY THINKING*!!

(*May not actually involve any thinking of any sort whatsoever, at all, at all. Brain usage is at owner's discretion, and any time wasted is non-refundable.)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

An idea came to me just as I was drifting off to sleep, and astonishingly I remembered it when I woke up.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have ideas alright, but its very hard to spin the theme into something less than obvious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have not thought about it at all
    Can wait until the 16th sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Das Kitty wrote: »
    An idea came to me just as I was drifting off to sleep, and astonishingly I remembered it when I woke up.

Yes, well I think we should have an 'Adult' section especially for those thoughts Das Kitty. :pac:

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I have ideas alright, but its very hard to spin the theme into something less than obvious.

Oh no! I had an idea, but now that you mentioned there's an obvious choice of story, I'm sure that's what mine is. :(

I am so tracking you down and defacing your garage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've spent two days trying to think of a clever acronym for VOAT.
    It ain't happening.

Variations on a .... no wait, damn it

Vipers On A Train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I have so many amazing ideas for this one my only problem is choosing which one is going to win the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

We're still doing "The Secret Life of Pickarooney", right?

I'm imagining Sam as his wife, and Pickarooney as a slightly batty 'artist' daubing VOAT on the garage door.
    "That is it, Pick, I've had it with your crap!"

"But honey, inspiration struck! You cannot tame the fiery roar of inspiration when it comes. I had to paint..."

"Yeah, well, paint your name on the bottom of the divorce papers when they arrive in the post."

throws ring on ground in front of Pickarooney, walks away

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am seriously struggling with a story for this. If I can not think one up I may have to drop out. Please forgive me and not think too badly of me, I am trying very hard.

Hi Rubecula,

First of all, a little birdie left me a Post-It Note to apologize for assuming you were a lady. Oops, sorry! You seem to be such a sensitive soul; I mistook your Situational Awareness for ladylikeness. That has happened to Dad a few times, so you should take it as a compliment.

I figured I would leave a little note here to say that I will step up to the plate and write a story for this VOAT thingy. I know my Mum (Lucy) said she would write a story if Dad (Agent Weebley) did not appear back in time, but it seems my Mum, Agent Paddy, Agent Heggle and Epstein are all missing now too! Very strange indeed.

Gulp . . . I've never written a story before . . .

Rubecula: if you need a nudge to get your story writing juices flowing, then PM me on Dad's account. I will share my idea with you. I'm sure it will help.

Love, Nerfy.

• Advertisement

Rubecula: if you need a nudge to get your story writing juices flowing, then PM me on Dad's account.

Bom chicka wah wah!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a bit in the T&C about not sharing accounts with other people but nothing about alternative personalities...

I don't want to hear about his dad getting anyone's juices flowing...

okay okay I'm leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

bluewolf wrote: »

That is EPIC hair. AMAZING hair. HAIRTASTIC hair.

I want that hair. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You can't drop out as there's no dropping in :) There are two weeks before you even need to begin thinking about a story, then up to an hour to write it.

Is there a time limit on this competition? 2000 words in an hour sounds a lot, especially at my typing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hyperlinks NSFW
    Bom chicka wah wah!

Ew, gross. Gaga me with a spoonful of Urban Dictionary definition #2*. (Number 1 is golden, though.) Oh, and it's actually Boom!

*I cannot display the link here for PG13 scatological reasons.
    There's a bit in the T&C about not sharing accounts with other people but nothing about alternative personalities...

Are we mining a multi-user loophole? You think I'm Dad . . . do I look like a fatty? That happened to Mum on Day 1 of our site. Dad metamorphed into a Ninja that infamous day. Good thing he's not around right now . . . I won't tell him if you don't.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't want to hear about his dad getting anyone's juices flowing...

I am Nerfy . . . an 18 year old woman . . . I look a bit like Yolandi.

Hakuna Matata . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know it's looking a bit ahead but can the theme for the next VOAT be something about the secret life and translations of Agent Weebley?

No, I haven't even thought of anything for this one yet!
    I have friday off, supposedly, that can be writing day

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    I know it's looking a bit ahead but can the theme for the next VOAT be something about the secret life and translations of Agent Weebley?

I think all the Youtube links would take down boards.ie if we had a VOAT based on that.

Advertisement