Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 10 (Zappa)

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:13am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the tenth incarnation of our Variations on a Theme contest, the theme will be the songs of Frank Zappa.
    No prior knowledge of the existence or music of Mr. Zappa is required to enter this contest.

If you wish to enter, simply say so on thread and I will send you a theme taken from a song title by the artist in question. As some of said titles do not lend themselves easily to short story writing, the full list of songs will be filtered beforehand.

Names will be added to the thread as people sign up.

The word limit is approximately 2000.

You may submit and resubmit at any time between the moment you receive your synopsis and the end of the contest by PMing me your story. The competition will close at 23.59:59 on the 14th of October 2012.

For anyone new to our short story contests, you can see previous editions here and here.

Some stories themselves can be seen here and here.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What's the closing date?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

updated: 10th October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Count me in!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sure fire one at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Sign me up, picka!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gimme a go! It's been too long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yuuuup. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I'll play. Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Long time lurker, been waiting for another VOAT - sign me up, please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finishing a second before my birthday starts, good work

I'll play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

This could be just what I need to distract me from other work! I'm in. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Why is there a limit of only 2000 words?

2000 is a bit long, imo. If I recall correctly its four times what it was originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Me too please

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'd love to take part please. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Antilles wrote: »
    2000 is a bit long, imo. If I recall correctly its four times what it was originally.

It's a limit, not a target! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pick said something about 200 words being fine if they tell a good story, if that's what you want

Mr E wrote: »

Yeah that's like telling me I can eat half the pie. Next time you see me, half that pie and no less is going to have been eaten.

bluewolf wrote: »
    pick said something about 200 words being fine if they tell a good story, if that's what you want

For sale: Zappa discography. Never heard.

Edit: Just realised my next post will be the bit 1-0-0-0. Ooh now I'm too nervous to post in case I ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

May I have a go please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i'd like to sign up too (if possible), thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*Deep breath*
    Count me in.
    *Takes the plunge.*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Mr E wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Antilles wrote: »
    For sale: Zappa discography. Never heard.

Edit: Just realised my next post will be the bit 1-0-0-0. Ooh now I'm too nervous to post in case I ruin it.

Hi Antilles,

I was just wondering about the word limit, in case I was to run over. Not that I am going to write a story or anything . . . pickarooney would probably give me something really gross like "Valley Girl" on the "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch" album . . . that would be grody . . . idaknow . . . I do want to talk to Mr Bufu, though . . . he's like really creepy, you know . . . like he looks at all the girls and rubs his chin . . . like, ew . . . like barf me out . . . oh my god, like, bag your face, I'm sure!

Hmmm. Nothing? I guess I can't use my becoming a "Mental Toss Flycoon" joke on you, since you are not One with The Zapster?

Oh, and I'm now The Central Scrutinizer . . . reporting you for advertising. Say hi to Gordon for me, will ya? Total bummer, I'm sure.

How much, by the way? I only have 10 of his albums . . . are yours vinyl? Did you maintain them by using shrink wrapping with a hairdryer?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I forgot my list at work. I might not be able to send to anyone from bluewolf on until Monday unless I get a chance to remake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Why don't we all wait until Monday then and move the deadline to 15th October so we still have 3 weekends to ponder and/or write?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Aye, count me in!

I can't start writing til after the 3rd anyway so it's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Go on, I've finished many long months of editing and am at a loss now, itching to write but no ideas...give me a reason to scribble!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

In like flynn

Advertisement