Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 11 (VOAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I'm so excited! I have a 790 word backbone of a story done. I could submit it as-is, but it is bare bones, with no fluff. I have to go out for the day, so I hope I'm back in time to fluff it up a little before 7pm, which is midnight, GMT . . otherwise, it will look like one of Dad's munstrosities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Right, I've had some ideas. Four hours before the deadline, time to get cracking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

does my story have to involve the whole VOAT on the door thing in the story? If not then I just wrote a random story about it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There does have to be a sam with a garage that got painted over, yea :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

bluewolf wrote: »
    There does have to be a sam with a garage that got painted over, yea :confused:

phew hahaha had a mini heart attack there haha

• Advertisement

I've submitted my story. Now I have to wait to read the others, boo! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I know, I'm all curious to read them! Hopefully pick will have them up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I entered

I just submitted my story from my iPhone4.

Luckily, I realized that I had to turn my story into a great many more words, since I inadvertently tipped you all off to my 790 word total.

I had to activate the Micro Drumulator, and beat out way more words to dust my tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Mine was late! Hope it still counts. :(

• Advertisement

Evenin' Toasterspark,

Although I'm new around here, I would say that it should be accepted. You were just a few minutes late, so I don't think anyone would be too browned off about it. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I got 11 entries. Will see how busy I am this morning and post them up if I can.

PM me ASAP if there's anything wrong with your story (apart from poor characterisation, weak plot or an unresolved ending) so I can fix it up before anyone reads it.

I love the poll question: "Which of these is the true version?"

There can only be one true story!!

*highlander theme tune*
    nyowww nyowwww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

PM me ASAP if there's anything wrong with your story (apart from poor characterisation, weak plot or an unresolved ending) so I can fix it up before anyone reads it.

Stop picking on my story...I tried

Well, that was a great read! I really enjoyed it.

My vote and comments have been posted. Lots of great entries. There were some great stories towards the end, so take a break from reading midway through and really give your attention to all of them.

We're awesome, we should have our own e-zine or something. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have to agree with Toasterspark. I read them all and it was so bloody hard to choose. What talent you guys have.

A rape story about a girl who does the VOAT competition with my name
    That's kinda creepy :confused:

What possessed you to write it?

• Advertisement

What possessed you to write it?

My name is on my profile, it IS kinda weird! :(

Yeah. :eek:

I might as well just post here since it's likely you'll all be too freaked out to vote on my story now anyway. I don't really care, I'd prefer my story was discounted and taken down at this point. I wrote Story 2.

I'd just like to clarify that ABSOLUTELY, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES did I intentionally use another forum members name in my story. I don't even know anybody's real name on here! (well, besides Eileen's, but that's in her username anyway). As anyone that saw my posts on here will know, I wrote my story at the last minute and sent in in just after midnight. I didn't have any time to edit or think through names or whatever. I didn't use Sam because... well... it's a guy's name really (I guess it's short for Samantha but how many teenage Samanthas have you heard of?) and it just didn't work in the story.

I have been a member under this username since 2011, used the toastersparks name before that (I'm so original, I know) and used another name back before the boards.ie hacking incident. Most of you regulars have seen me enter lots of VOAT stories in the past or contribute to posts/threads along the way.

I feel embarrassed and freaked out by something which was just an unfortunate coincidence. To be honest, it's very unsettling to log into your boards.ie account on a Tuesday morning and have a private message in your Inbox asking if you intentionally used another forum member's name in your story for a more sinister reason. I guess it's just protocol to protect members, I get that. But I'm a bit freaked out by the whole thing, and to be on here for so long and have people think you might be up to something creepy is quite upsetting and disappointing.

Once again, I'm very sorry for something that was just an unfortunate coincidence. I was in two minds whether to submit such a story in the first place. I wish I hadn't at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's just an unfortunate coincidence.

Don't do anything rash, Toasterspark - it would be this forum's loss if you were to leave or stop posting here.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All this points to is the fact that you couldn't think of a better phrase for VOAT than the original. Don't sweat it, clearly it was an innocent coincidence.

Oryx wrote: »
    All this points to is the fact that you couldn't think of a better phrase for VOAT than the original. Don't sweat it, clearly it was an innocent coincidence.

I should've just gone with the Vipers on a Train idea. :(

Nobody wrote Vipers on a Train. Gutted :(

I should've just gone with the Vipers on a Train idea. :(

Hasn't Bluewolf suffered enough??? :eek:

Nobody wrote Vipers on a Train. Gutted :(

It could even have had a Sam L Jackson :D

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    Hasn't Bluewolf suffered enough??? :eek:

Victims of a travesty

Advertisement