Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 11 (VOAT)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Violence on a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The hidden poll results are infuriating. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Mr E wrote: »
    The hidden poll results are infuriating. :o

That's what spreadsheets are for ;)

It's as close as a clotheshorse.

You can see the scores?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Course he can, he's the mod

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Course he can, he's the mod

I've never been a mod, I don't know how it works :'(

What do I have to do to become a mod? Lead a rebellion to oust Pickarooney?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry, that was a bit abrupt of me :p

See if bribing him works :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sorry, that was a bit abrupt of me :p

See if bribing him works :p

Wait, mods can make mods? Like an infinite spawn cycle?

Nah, admins
    but if you bribe him he might put in a good word for you
    :D

Hrm good idea.

Pick, if you talk to the admins about making me a mod, I'll buy you an all expenses spared trip to sunny France! How about it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moved some posts from the voting thread to here

Antilles wrote: »
    Hrm good idea.

Pick, if you talk to the admins about making me a mod, I'll buy you an all expenses spared trip to sunny France! How about it?

I think that's a no...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Antilles wrote: »
    Hrm good idea.

You'll never be a mod now because you've openly expressed an interest. Amateur.

I'd have done that but, you know... no mod powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Ever since Mr T fell on his sword, I have been unable to continue to read the VOAT stories, and write anything anywhere on the internet. I lament for him - he should not have closed his account, rather, he should have stayed to face the music. I must get this off my chest so I can continue to write.
    Nerfy wrote: »
    Evenin' Toasterspark, Although I'm new around here, I would say that it should be accepted. You were just a few minutes late, so I don't think anyone would be too browned off about it. :D

If you read my above comment to Mr T in the past perfect, present, and future imperfect tenses, spending a moment hovering gracefully over the smilie at the end, then clicking it, you would witness one of my Dad's favourite tunes from his childhood, and one that sent a shudder down my spine, once I saw what was happening here a day or 2 later.

Writing carries a tremendous responsibility. The subject and content displays your inner feelings. My Dad told me that he wrote nothing till he was 48 years old, because anything that came out tended to be negative, and he didn't want people to see darkness in his writing. Once he put 2 and 2 together and really saw how the World turned, he began to have the urge to write. Even then, he had to self-regulate in order to weed out the possibility that what he wrote could be misconstrued as negative to someone, somewhere. That took a couple of years, and amanfromMars helped him. It was a story he wrote about The Coventry Bliitz, using Winston Churchill as the antagonist that finally made Dad able to censor what he wrote, before he wasted time going down the wrong path and writing it. (If anyone wants to hear more about that story, just ask.)

A story by Albert J Nock, called Isaiah's Job, precipitated the beginnings of his prolific writing. Writing uplifting stories is what he's into - and I try to do the same, although I cannot keep up with the sheer volume he can pump out.

Having said that, it is not my or anyone elses place to censure negative stories, just say my or your piece, like I did after reading Mr T's story.

By the way, my Dad knows someone named Ami, pronounced Amy. It is an old Jewish name. And I have a few friends in Toronto called Samantha. My Dad away jokes about me calling them "Sam," due to the "Pat" skit on Saturday Night Live - a TV show he used to watch. A quick "find and replace" could swap Sam and "Ami," thereby diffusing the tension.

Anyway, I hope that Mr T comes back soon. I didn't know much about him, but I'm sure it was an eye-opener for him, as well as many others that tend to write about the seedier side of life.

I hope pickarooney doesn't snip the following video. I feel it is an APT video segue over to the Mound Of Hostages, where I will continue to write, using this sad episode in a writer's portfolio as a springboard to hopefully uplift and continue back on a more pleasant tack.

[edit 1 by pickarooney: as below]

[edit 2 by Nerfy: this is the missing link, previously embedded]

Advertisement