Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

I'm so sorry to see your sad post, she sounds like a great lady. Cherish those lovely memories xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've gotten 4 presents already so far. What's the tally with everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Woohoo! Just got my first Christmas Craft email from BHG (Better Homes & Gardens)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

McChubbin wrote: »
    I've gotten 4 presents already so far. What's the tally with everyone else?

Finished my shopping for both my boys (6 yrs and 7 months) sister done and few bits picked up for my other half. :D

This isn't the happiest post I've posted here.
    Our family is related to a lovely lady in her seventies and this woman loves Christmas she used always have the newest decorations/a couple of trees/ sent her cards out early/baked loads of Christmas cakes.
    Every Christmas we used call to see her and exchange presents with them. Every Christmas I can remember she used always have some new decoration to show us. She used always bake our family a massive Christmas cake and she was brilliant at sugar craft so the cake used always look amazing. Last Christmas when we called to see her she was nearly the best I've every seen her. She was busy trying to get things done/looking forward to the big day. Its the kind of house you'd always feel welcome and comfortable in.
    We never thought it would have been her last Christmas. In the last few weeks she's being diagnosed with terminal cancer and she hasn't long left. It's just so strange to think that Christmas 2013 was her last.

I'm sorry for your news freshpopcorn, we have just come out of a very similar situation (father in law diagnosed terminal cancer in 2011 and I have being caring for him since, he just passed after a long battle with it, and it is very hard to think about him not being here for christmas 2014, my thoughts with you and your family at this time make the most of any time left, perhaps celebrate christmas early for their benefit that's what we did so FIL could have one last christmas with both grandchildren, (youngest only 7 months) fantastic memories for all of us

• Advertisement

Start the counting on one hand, folks!!!!!! FIVE months :D

Isn't it tomorrow the A/W Argos catalogue is out!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've noticed a lot more Christmas themed things on Pinterest lately. I love that other people are thinking about Christmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Listening to Michael Buble Christmas album on spotify :o

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Isn't it tomorrow the A/W Argos catalogue is out!? :D

Yes, it is! First one to get it go to the back pages for the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's out!!
    Just got it now. :D

Posy wrote: »
    It's out!!
    Just got it now. :D

AND?????????????? Don't be selfish!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm looking forward to the thread in After Hours and the daily mail type article in which somebody is so shocked that Brown Thomas are putting out some decorations or that Tesco have a few tins of sweets/little selection boxes in stock out at the end of August.

I'm looking forward to the thread in After Hours and the daily mail type article in which somebody is so shocked that Brown Thomas are putting out some decorations or that Tesco have a few tins of sweets/little selection boxes in stock out at the end of August.

We can be outraged that they are all outraged.

Noooo! Don't go in there!! Stay here where it's safe. :D

Posy your killing me here ! What was the selection like in the back !? Anything interesting :D can't wait to get mine tomorrow (well later today actually :) )

Only one page in the middle(!?) with the usual 'we'll have a separate catalogue for all the Christmas stuff' spiel.

It DOES have a picture of a Christmas tree, but that's about it! :pac:

Only one page in the middle(!?) with the usual 'we'll have a separate catalogue for all the Christmas stuff' spiel.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I think from memory the separate catalogue was out round the start of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

I have to admit when people like to scoff at my early Christmas prep, articles like this tend to raise an ever so slightly smug smile :-)

thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/the-emotions-we-all-go-through-last-minute-christmas-eve-shopping-1184189-Dec2013/

I got it this morning ! It's just there to taunt us :(

• Advertisement

I have to admit when people like to scoff at my early Christmas prep, articles like this tend to raise an ever so slightly smug smile :-)

thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/the-emotions-we-all-go-through-last-minute-christmas-eve-shopping-1184189-Dec2013/

It won't open ! Might just be me doing it wrong though :D it's true the people who shrug it off or say your talking about Christmas now when it's only "x" are the same people who run around like headless chickens (or should that be turkeys given the season :D ) at the last minute. I have a sister like this so I speak from experience ! Spends all year giving out about me talking about Christmas then come the actual month of December or shall I say (week before Christmas itself :) ) is complaining she either has no money or can't find gifts and spends the entire month of January broke and sulking and swears "never again " only to be repeated every year of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    It won't open ! Might just be me doing it wrong though :D it's true the people who shrug it off or say your talking about Christmas now when it's only "x" are the same people who run around like headless chickens (or should that be turkeys given the season :D ) at the last minute. I have a sister like this so I speak from experience ! Spends all year giving out about me talking about Christmas then come the actual month of December or shall I say (week before Christmas itself :) ) is complaining she either has no money or can't find gifts and spends the entire month of January broke and sulking and swears "never again " only to be repeated every year of course :D

Sorry the link doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t think I can post links yet. Yep you have summed it up perfectly with this post. It’s always the people who complain about Christmas starting before December who spend the last few days before Christmas panicking and going through a traumatic ordeal trying to get it all done. Instead of enjoying the time and appreciating it for the good of it. If you are running around like a headless chicken and stressed up to your eyeballs you are never gonna enjoy it :-)

This might be the link!

Thanks, thats the one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

You folks have inspired me to start early this year: thanks :) I now have time to come up with some really special gifts that I can take my time preparing, much better than the stress that arrives every December!

So worth it! Thanks freshpopcorn! Only problem now I have to watch elf again! :D

Amazingfun wrote: »
    You folks have inspired me to start early this year: thanks :) I now have time to come up with some really special gifts that I can take my time preparing, much better than the stress that arrives every December!

Best of luck with it amazingfun! :) i don't know if you have children but I find it such a great habit to be in, stock up on presents through the year as they come on sale, spread the cost and save a fortune ! And then just relax and enjoy the Christmas season !

Apologies if I am wrong here but mayogirl was it yourself that had a bit of a mishap with the Christmas spread sheet and had to go rooting in the attic ? Did you get it resolved in the end ? :)

As much as I like to get most of the presents done early (thanks mainly to being an avid online shopper) there is something quiet special about a Christmas trip into town. You really can’t beat the Christmas buzz around town, the lights, the decorations, the Christmas music. Wrapping paper pecking out the top of everyone’s carrier bags. Overly excited kids queuing to see Santa. Parents wandering around with lists. Nothing screams Christmas in Dublin to me more than parents wandering around HMV with lists of papers looking like they are in a foreign country asking for directions, trying to figure out whether the items on their lists are for CD’s, DVD’s or games. As hard as times have been for a lot of people over the last few years resulting in Christmas being scaled back in a lot of households, that special Christmas buzz never seemed to dissipate, thank god.

• Advertisement

As much as I like to get most of the presents done early (thanks mainly to being an avid online shopper) there is something quiet special about a Christmas trip into town. You really can’t beat the Christmas buzz around town, the lights, the decorations, the Christmas music. Wrapping paper pecking out the top of everyone’s carrier bags. Overly excited kids queuing to see Santa. Parents wandering around with lists. Nothing screams Christmas in Dublin to me more than parents wandering around HMV with lists of papers looking like they are in a foreign country asking for directions, trying to figure out whether the items on their lists are for CD’s, DVD’s or games. As hard as times have been for a lot of people over the last few years resulting in Christmas being scaled back in a lot of households, that special Christmas buzz never seemed to dissipate, thank god.

I couldn't agree more , which is why myself and my partner, every year , the week before Christmas go into town to look through the shops and always pick up something we see (more so a household Christmas item or a final surprise for kids , as opposed to present shopping ) , and have some lunch and just watch people do their last minute Christmas dash! It's a very Christmassy atmosphere alright but the stress if being a last minute shopper myself would kill me ! :) I prefer to observe and soak in the atmosphere ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement