Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Not sure if this question merits a thread of it's own, but will give it a shot and see! :)

Just wondering , since its safe to say we all decorate early enough for Christmas ;) when do you start your pre Christmas clean ? I always find this a difficult one because october is dedicated to Halloween (with the occasional bit of Christmas shopping of course!) and I try to start in November , but to be honest in November I start getting the house ready for Christmas, gift baskets made, kids have hairdresser appointments, dogs to groomers etc it just doesn't end!

So I normally find myself doing it almost before Halloween :eek: :eek:

You do the pre Christmas clean BEFORE Halloween?! :-O how does the house stay clean that long?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

leahyl wrote: »
    You do the pre Christmas clean BEFORE Halloween?! :-O how does the house stay clean that long?!!

It doesn't that's my problem :eek: :D I do a good bit it before Halloween, you know any painting to be touched up, major kind of jobs, toys decluttered then have to re clean in late November early December!

I have been giving serious thought to shrink wrapping everything in my house .... :) may help it all stay clean !

It doesn't that's my problem :eek: :D I do a good bit it before Halloween, you know any painting to be touched up, major kind of jobs, toys decluttered then have to re clean in late November early December!

You're hilarious!

You're hilarious!

Some days I feel like a hamster on a wheel waiting to get thrown off because I can't slow down! :eek:

Does nobody else get the urge to paint the skirting boards or touch up any of the painting before cleaning for christmas! :(
    * she says feeling silly * :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Sometimes, if I'm feeling really extravagant, I hoover the sitting room instead of sweeping it before I put the tree up. That's pretty much that extent of the Christmas cleaning. We don't have many people in the house in the run up to Christmas though, so there's really no need to do a big clean.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling really extravagant, I hoover the sitting room instead of sweeping it before I put the tree up. That's pretty much that extent of the Christmas cleaning. We don't have many people in the house in the run up to Christmas though, so there's really no need to do a big clean.

Wish I could chill like that :) it has been pointed out to me on previous occasions that I may have a teeny tiny problem with cleaning :D

Oh don't get me wrong, I love having a clean house for Christmas and we do a Christmas clean alright (I'm a bit anal about it!) but there's no point in doing it 2 months before hand! lol! I do always clean the front room from top to bottom before putting up the tree and garland though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've started the pre-Christmas emptying of the freezer.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love having a clean house for Christmas and we do a Christmas clean alright (I'm a bit anal about it!) but there's no point in doing it 2 months before hand! lol! I do always clean the front room from top to bottom before putting up the tree and garland though :-)

Made that mistake my first christmas in my own place put tree up then realised there was a big mark on my front windows right where people can see the tree :eek: let's just say ill never have to try to swing outta a christmas tree trying to clean a window again :D

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    I've started the pre-Christmas emptying of the freezer.

I always start with a press first , u know "that press" where you stash all selection boxes and tins sweets when they come into the shops! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

All the Christmas cleaning talk, is bringing back childhood memories of sheer frustration of wanting to put the Christmas tree up and being told by my mam, no not before I wash the windows and net curtains. Granted I probably tormented them to put the tree up from the start September but those windows and net curtains where always my festive nemesis.

All the Christmas cleaning talk, is bringing back childhood memories of sheer frustration of wanting to put the Christmas tree up and being told by my mam, no not before I wash the windows and net curtains. Granted I probably tormented them to put the tree up from the start September but those windows and net curtains where always my festive nemesis.

God I hated the net curtains in my house when I was younger ! Great post though made me smile to myself :) I suspect many of us have similar memories :)

God I hated the net curtains in my house when I was younger ! Great post though made me smile to myself :) I suspect many of us have similar memories :)

Oh I know those net curtains I can still see them, with the little weights in the bottom! I thought when we got blinds this was going to be my Christmas saviour. There would be no stopping me now, without those pesky net curtains standing in my way I thought it would be Christmas all year round. Obviously didn’t work out as I planned and I soon learned the whole curtain washing was just a typical mother decoy.

Oh I know those net curtains I can still see them, with the little weights in the bottom! I thought when we got blinds this was going to be my Christmas saviour. There would be no stopping me now, without those pesky net curtains standing in my way I thought it would be Christmas all year round. Obviously didn’t work out as I planned and I soon learned the whole curtain washing was just a typical mother decoy.

I know the crafty buggers always found a way to delay it! :D

I know the crafty buggers always found a way to delay it! :D

Always. Maybe its my imagination but I don't remember the Christmas decorations being up as early in them days. I definitely don't remember any houses having decorations up until well into December may the second weekend or so. Maybe it just felt that way when I was a kid because I would be dying to have the tree up.

Always. Maybe its my imagination but I don't remember the Christmas decorations being up as early in them days. I definitely don't remember any houses having decorations up until well into December may the second weekend or so. Maybe it just felt that way when I was a kid because I would be dying to have the tree up.

No they definitely weren't up as early, sure my mam does still be giving out to me about how early I put mine up here :eek:

To be honest and it's only my own opinion, but I think as Christmas has become more commercialized over the last few years the retailers have started putting out stock earlier, a whole supply and demand cycle (not that I'm complaining mind :) ) but at home the tree never went up before 10th December and it still doesn't!

No they definitely weren't up as early, sure my mam does still be giving out to me about how early I put mine up here :eek:

To be honest and it's only my own opinion, but I think as Christmas has become more commercialized over the last few years the retailers have started putting out stock earlier, a whole supply and demand cycle (not that I'm complaining mind :) ) but at home the tree never went up before 10th December and it still doesn't!
    ODad would just keel over if the tree went up at home before December 8th. Glad its not just my crowd! Also, Glitzgirl, don't know if you have seen it, but there is a bit of a toy sale on boots.ie, I got a few things last night for half-nothing.

WASH IN SHOCKING TREE CONFESSION!!

Although I keep my bathroom tree up all year, I never put the main trees up before Dec 8th.

So in order to make up for my shameful revelation, here's some pics :D

DSCF0596.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Liberated from a Charidee shop on Saturday.

DSCF0562.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Recent gift from Manila.

WASH IN SHOCKING TREE CONFESSION!!

Although I keep my bathroom tree up all year, I never put the main trees up before Dec 8th.

So in order to make up for my shameful revelation, here's some pics :D

DSCF0596.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Liberated from a Charidee shop on Saturday.

DSCF0562.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Recent gift from Manila.

Can't see pics Washiskin! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Net Curtains, Christmas Tree Embargos.... yes, this was also my Christmas childhood haha!

Grrr.....can't get them to post properly....let's..try.. this again.....

Charity shop purchases....

Pressie from Manila.....

You're sitting at home having a cuppa with candles lit all around you....and the nets closed, aren't you? No need for you to put the tree up til the 8th when you are carrying-on like that in July :p

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, I took a fortnight aside and I did a room each day. Eg. in the kitchen, cleaned the oven, inside the dishwasher, inside all presses and drawers and washed the outsides. Did the skirtings, doors. Then climbed up and cleaned over the presses and lights. Mismatched mugs got the door. I cleaned the windows in and out in each room as I went along and also the frames and the sills. Everything is now super-organized in any press/drawer/dresser that you open. Also small things like cleaning the light switches, rads and door handles make a huge difference to a room. It means a) I can find everything in seconds and b) the house has stayed so clean and tidy since.

I took it room by room and its still pretty much immaculate. I just have to do a quick run-around now. I find rotating toys great, it keeps their interest and at least you don't have the bedrooms and playroom full. I am a wagon and I don't let toys into areas such as sitting room/dining room/kitchen. To hell what they say on parenting sites, my children aren't going to grow up scarred by this.

I'm now sitting back having a cuppa and a treat while I listen to my small peeps gaily thrashing their rooms as its lashing here, slack Mommy that I am ;)

EDIT to add: I will delete this post later in case people think I have taken leave of my last few senses! Just thought it might help/motivate/make ye point and laugh :D

Are you are we're not related? :D don't be silly I flat out refuse to let mine bring more than one toy down to main living areas and even at that they have to bring them back up when they are finished. I thought about dedicating a room to a play room then realized I would be too anal to just close the door on it and look the other way :D I would be tormented knowing that behind that closed door is a disaster zone of unmatched jigsaw pieces and toys in the wrong boxes uhh *shudder*

Go you ! Great overhaul by the sound of it. I agree about everything having a place I feel like you can't give the house a good clean if its not organised ! Hate trying to clean and move stuff around :eek:

ODad would just keel over if the tree went up at home before December 8th. Glad its not just my crowd! Also, Glitzgirl, don't know if you have seen it, but there is a bit of a toy sale on boots.ie, I got a few things last night for half-nothing.

Oh thanks mayo gurl! I never think of buying toys in boots may go have look ! I won't lie when I go into boots I tend to buy stuff for me .... From me :D:D

Grrr.....can't get them to post properly....let's..try.. this again.....

Charity shop purchases....

U didnt find any toothbrush holders/tumblers did you ? Being dying to find a child friendly ie plastic one!

Oh thanks mayo gurl! I never think of buying toys in boots may go have look ! I won't lie when I go into boots I tend to buy stuff for me .... From me :D:D

To Me, From Me...with love xxxxx

That is a VERY important tag ;)

I do plenty of this during the year anyway! Lol

• Advertisement

Can't stress that enough! :) !

or my second favorite is walking into the house and conversation is something like this
    Me : thanks sweety that gift was lovely, I loved it!
    OH: what gift?
    Me : the one you got me today while I was out shopping
    OH: oh yea no problem I'm just that kind of guy ... It's not something that needs assembling is it (he has reoccurring nightmares of 1kea ) :D:D

While I'm smiling away to myself because he's just given up asking how much "he spent " on my gift haha :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement