Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more , which is why myself and my partner, every year , the week before Christmas go into town to look through the shops and always pick up something we see (more so a household Christmas item or a final surprise for kids , as opposed to present shopping ) , and have some lunch and just watch people do their last minute Christmas dash! It's a very Christmassy atmosphere alright but the stress if being a last minute shopper myself would kill me ! :) I prefer to observe and soak in the atmosphere ;)

Oh God yeah couldn’t agree more the only reason I venture into town in the last few days is just for the whole Christmas atmosphere, or to pick up a couple of random none essential bits. I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to do all my present shopping in the last couple of days. It would completely take the fun out of it all. If I don’t have my presents under the tree and wrapped for the majority of December I feel unorganised 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Oh God yeah couldn’t agree more the only reason I venture into town in the last few days is just for the whole Christmas atmosphere, or to pick up a couple of random none essential bits. I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to do all my present shopping in the last couple of days. It would completely take the fun out of it all. If I don’t have my presents under the tree and wrapped for the majority of December I feel unorganised 

My kinda person ;) last year I felt so unorganised as had just had a baby was ok bed rest prior to that and could do nothing for christmas ,none of our traditions nothing ! really ruined the spirit of christmas for me last year well not this year I am back in the game ! :D

My kinda person ;) last year I felt so unorganised as had just had a baby was ok bed rest prior to that and could do nothing for christmas ,none of our traditions nothing ! really ruined the spirit of christmas for me last year well not this year I am back in the game ! :D

Glad to hear you are back ready to go this year. Unfortunately you just get some years where as much as you want it to, things just don’t go to plan. You can make up for it this year with all the Christmas traditions & trips to Santa with your little one.

Apologies if I am wrong here but mayogirl was it yourself that had a bit of a mishap with the Christmas spread sheet and had to go rooting in the attic ? Did you get it resolved in the end ? :)

It was me, Glitzgirl. My parents have been having a lot of renovations at home, so I dare not go near the attic yet. It hasn't stopped me buying more though ;). It came back to me that there is also a large wooden doll house up there and a smaller Sylvanian house as well as the big one. So excited to send hubby up where spiders lurk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

When I am in the throes of EXTREME stress, I have a recurring nightmare that goes as follows:

I'm standing in the kitchen and all is well. Suddenly (& I mean the suddenly that gives you a sick stomach) I realize it's 5.30pm ON CHRISTMAS EVE :eek::eek::eek:
    I have:
    NO Presents bought
    NO Decorations up
    NO Tree
    NO No Cake or Pud & worst of all
    NO Food in, as in Turkey, Ham, Veg, etc :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I swear it's the most horribly real nightmare & I usually wake up sobbing and in a lather of sweat and it takes me quite a while to come out of the feeling of panic it induces.

I think I need a candy cane to calm me down after that......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Got back from my holidays a few days ago. Was over in orlando an amazing place! Very magical! And even over there I couldn't escape Christmas!

1zdvkfb.jpg

27zagew.jpg

2qursrb.jpg

The photos were taken at universals islands of adventure. Now that the holidays are over (back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off...help me!!!) I'm going to be fully focused on all things Christmas!

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    It was me, Glitzgirl. My parents have been having a lot of renovations at home, so I dare not go near the attic yet. It hasn't stopped me buying more though ;). It came back to me that there is also a large wooden doll house up there and a smaller Sylvanian house as well as the big one. So excited to send hubby up where spiders lurk!

God dont mention the S word uh shudder :( glad it hasn't effected your planning and prep though ! It will be just as exciting when you do get to have a look through all the stuff again ! :) actually if you don't mind, seen as you shop similar to myself do you mind if I ask you a question ?

Was looking through my lists other day of stuff I had bought and realized I had purchased quiet a few bits already for my oldest in particular . Now the dilemma here is I am saying I know it's a lot of presents but it hasn't hurt us financially because its been so spread out through the year and lets put them all out from santa, but my partner thinks there is too much, that anything else purchased should go up for birthdays or even the following year if necessary. So if you have all your planned presents bought by say August or September would you just stop buying or would you stay picking up bits if finances allowed ?

Loughc wrote: »
    Got back from my holidays a few days ago. Was over in orlando an amazing place! Very magical! And even over there I couldn't escape Christmas!

1zdvkfb.jpg

27zagew.jpg

2qursrb.jpg

The photos were taken at universals islands of adventure. Now that the holidays are over (back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off...help me!!!) I'm going to be fully focused on all things Christmas!

Welcome back loughc! Omg so jealous ! but I'd be depressed after being their and coming home to no tree up or any Christmas deco up at all! Is it like that all year round ?! Awesome ! :D

washiskin wrote: »
    When I am in the throes of EXTREME stress, I have a recurring nightmare that goes as follows:

I'm standing in the kitchen and all is well. Suddenly (& I mean the suddenly that gives you a sick stomach) I realize it's 5.30pm ON CHRISTMAS EVE :eek::eek::eek:
    I have:
    NO Presents bought
    NO Decorations up
    NO Tree
    NO No Cake or Pud & worst of all
    NO Food in, as in Turkey, Ham, Veg, etc :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I swear it's the most horribly real nightmare & I usually wake up sobbing and in a lather of sweat and it takes me quite a while to come out of the feeling of panic it induces.

I think I need a candy cane to calm me down after that......

And some mulled wine to take the edge off, while your sitting down in front of an open fire ! Sounds Christmassy already ! :D honestly though horrible dream to have :eek:

I was in Disneyland Paris in January this year and got some more lovely Disney tree decorations but still missing some , may check Disney store in Dublin coming up to Christmas ! Just dawned on me after I saw washiskin lovely pictures!

• Advertisement

Welcome back, LoughC! Best place ever - 90 days and counting ;) (We went to MVMCP last year!!). Glitzgirl, I don't mind any questions! I will keep buying things that I like and that I know they will like. My 'tude is that they won't be at this stage for too long, so like my parents before me, I just pile it on :)

Welcome back, LoughC! Best place ever - 90 days and counting ;) (We went to MVMCP last year!!). Glitzgirl, I don't mind any questions! I will keep buying things that I like and that I know they will like. My 'tude is that they won't be at this stage for too long, so like my parents before me, I just pile it on :)

Oh I love it I try do the same! My aim is to have one of them collapse from sheer joy and being so overwhelmed on the day! Because it does fly by so fast! I felt awful though last year a friend of my sons went into after care last year (aged 5 ) and told all his friends there was no real Santa that his mammy and daddy had sat him down and told him that they were buying the presents and that they could only afford one , and of course not to tell other boys and girls and obviously being just 5 it's the first thing thing he did! :eek: but my heart went out to that poor boy and his parents and people in general who are suffering financially at the moment . Though saying that even if I could only afford one thing for my child I certainly wouldn't have shattered his illusions about Christmas so young! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Seeing that there's only 151 days left I just can't stop think about the countdown!

150-101: Tesco begins to stock tons of sweats/ selection boxes, school are back, X-factor returns and department stores begin to stock decorations. I.E Pennies have there wrapping papers/Christmas jumpers out, Brown Thomas has some of there stock out and M&S might have there mince pies in stock.

100-50: The radio stations begin to mention its only 100 days to Christmas/ you also hear people giving out it's to early to have stuff in the shops how am I meant to go shopping with my kids? The Christmas catalogues are in out for the likes of Boots/Argos/Smyth's. The supermarkets start putting out the vast majority of there Christmas stock and the decorations in the likes of Woodies are also in stock.
    People often start baking there Christmas cakes/buying Christmas stuff during this period.

49-1: Halloween is over and now the focus is on Christmas. Christmas adverts are in full swing.( can't wait to see what John Lewis does this year) Shopping centres begin to extend there opening hours and and Santa Grottos are open. Christmas lights are in switched on and people begin to decorate there holmes. Supermarkets begin stocking Hams/all the fresh party food in the first week of December. You begin to receive Christmas cards in the post and being to do your shop for the big day/ice the cake/ wrap and deliver present.

Seeing that there's only 151 days left I just can't stop think about the countdown!

150-101: Tesco begins to stock tons of sweats/ selection boxes, school are back, X-factor returns and department stores begin to stock decorations. I.E Pennies have there wrapping papers/Christmas jumpers out, Brown Thomas has some of there stock out and M&S might have there mince pies in stock.

100-50: The radio stations begin to mention its only 100 days to Christmas/ you also hear people giving out it's to early to have stuff in the shops how am I meant to go shopping with my kids? The Christmas catalogues are in out for the likes of Boots/Argos/Smyth's. The supermarkets start putting out the vast majority of there Christmas stock and the decorations in the likes of Woodies are also in stock.
    People often start baking there Christmas cakes/buying Christmas stuff during this period.

49-1: Halloween is over and now the focus is on Christmas. Christmas adverts are in full swing.( can't wait to see what John Lewis does this year) Shopping centres begin to extend there opening hours and and Santa Grottos are open. Christmas lights are in switched on and people begin to decorate there holmes. Supermarkets begin stocking Hams/all the fresh party food in the first week of December. You begin to receive Christmas cards in the post and being to do your shop for the big day/ice the cake/ wrap and deliver present.

All I can say is summed up nicely! ;) can't wait!!!!

If any of you do Elf On The Shelf, there is a great FB page for fanatics. There are pictures of "North Pole Breakfasts" ie feed the kids crap and don't get judged. I'm doing it this year for sure.

Glitzgirl, thats dreadful, poor little fella. I suppose we can't say what we'd do, but if it were me, that bit of pure magic that they only have for so long....I couldn't ruin it....(I've typed and erased this a few times, hope it came out "right") x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great summary. For me the countdown unofficially begins with xfactor nowadays! Can't wait for everything you've listed.

Looking forward to seeing the new Christmas market in Dublin and tempted to go see elf when it comes to town too!

If any of you do Elf On The Shelf, there is a great FB page for fanatics. There are pictures of "North Pole Breakfasts" ie feed the kids crap and don't get judged. I'm doing it this year for sure.

Glitzgirl, thats dreadful, poor little fella. I suppose we can't say what we'd do, but if it were me, that bit of pure magic that they only have for so long....I couldn't ruin it....(I've typed and erased this a few times, hope it came out "right") x

Lol! I understand what you mean about it coming out right, in fairness I think you said it better than I did, essentially I meant the same as you! I would find it heartbreaking to do that to a poor child! There is a strict rule in this house , Santa shall be coming every year so long as you are under this roof and shall be referred to as Santa at all times! My partner has said if either of my kids came to him and said they knew the truth that he would tell them to go along with it and not upset mammy ! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think I would tell my (imaginary) children that Santa has to accommodate every little boy and girl in the world and therefore cannot get a crazy amount of gifts for every single one.
    The elves can only do so much toy making in a year and the reindeer can only carry so much on the sleigh after all! :pac:

Posy, we have had the question of the sleigh and how much it can carry. Sadly, its like Mr Claus and its magic, so it has no limits :D

Posy wrote: »
    I think I would tell my (imaginary) children that Santa has to accommodate every little boy and girl in the world and therefore cannot get a crazy amount of gifts for every single one.
    The elves can only do so much toy making in a year and the reindeer can only carry so much on the sleigh after all! :pac:

+1 !

• Advertisement

Posy, we have had the question of the sleigh and how much it can carry. Sadly, its like Mr Claus and its magic, so it has no limits :D

Whenever that question pops up, I casually suggest we watch the 'Santa Claus' movie where we see Santa pull all the presents out of his magic bag , I love the part where he takes out the kayak and paddles! Question answered! ;)

Ye made me stick on a Yankee cinnamon plug-in. Yummmmm

Ye made me stick on a Yankee cinnamon plug-in. Yummmmm

Enjoy :) posy how is that candy cane coming along ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

you guys have me so excited!! Freshpopcorn that was an excellent summary of the build up!!

I have noticed the larger Tesco stores have their summer stock reduced to clear and have replaced their summer/garden sections with back to school stuff. I’d say it will be a matter of weeks before we see the Christmas sweets/biscuits etc hit the shelf’s.

I have noticed the larger Tesco stores have their summer stock reduced to clear and have replaced their summer/garden sections with back to school stuff. I’d say it will be a matter of weeks before we see the Christmas sweets/biscuits etc hit the shelf’s.

Same! I noticed last year one of the big name brand stores around here had no Halloween deco out (start of October ) bar the odd item yet staff were rearranging the shop floor for Christmas stock! Not that I'm complaining mind ;)

Speaking of complaining though I was looking through old posts about Christmas Eve traditions and Christmas dinners and now..... I am starving ! :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

There is a strict rule in this house , Santa shall be coming every year so long as you are under this roof and shall be referred to as Santa at all times! My partner has said if either of my kids came to him and said they knew the truth that he would tell them to go along with it and not upset mammy ! :)

I think my mother would have a heart attack if I told her Santa wasn't real. And I'm a grown adult with children of my own!

FactCheck wrote: »
    I think my mother would have a heart attack if I told her Santa wasn't real. And I'm a grown adult with children of my own!

I would think you were one of my siblings if any of them had children.

FactCheck wrote: »

I think your mother and I would get on just fine :D

• Advertisement

Not sure if this question merits a thread of it's own, but will give it a shot and see! :)

Just wondering , since its safe to say we all decorate early enough for Christmas ;) when do you start your pre Christmas clean ? I always find this a difficult one because october is dedicated to Halloween (with the occasional bit of Christmas shopping of course!) and I try to start in November , but to be honest in November I start getting the house ready for Christmas, gift baskets made, kids have hairdresser appointments, dogs to groomers etc it just doesn't end!

So I normally find myself doing it almost before Halloween :eek: :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement