Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super honest what's wrong with the IAA thread 2013 mod warning post 1 and post53

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

hrta wrote: »
    So for there it is, after all this time, the Iaa have now shown what they are, If you stand up to them, this is how they treat you, and discredit you, Ah well
    at lest i got here first, thank's Tommy, i did send the invoice's, and i gave one at salute in 2010 to the Iaa committee which was <snip> were there at the time, and <snip> did reply to the payment, as posted below, It's like this lads, if you want me stop posting, just pay up, and i'm gone, or do you still love me that much, you just want me around, for some one to blame.

Regards,

Paul.

Discussion surrounding the AGM minutes
    by BioHazRd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 am

hrta wrote:
    If there was investigations were all the witnesses, i know of 3 witnesses that were at salute and heard all.

I still have not been payed, for the rent of the tents for salute 2010, the outstanding fee is €300, i'd like the new committee to look in to it for me, thank's

Dear Irish Airsoft Association,
    I wish to make an access request under the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form. I am making this request under section 4 of the Data Protection Acts.

Regards,
    Paul Carey.

PS: I did send the above by email, but i still have, had no return, please if you could look in to it for me, thank's.

I will post this over on Facebook, if it gets deleted in here, as can happen to me.
    Discussion surrounding the AGM minutes
    by BioHazRd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 am

BioHazRd wrote:

As for the ret ofthe post, Dave is right, this is not the place for it

Hi Paul,

during my brief time with the IAA we discussed the Data Protection request but you didn't follow up on it.

We didn't get in to the whole monies owed part of things though so can't comment on that.

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

There is something seriously wrong with airsoft in Ireland. At least online.

Would put you off it tbh.

Its a game and supposed to be fun, I come here, read posts and am embarrassed at myself for participating in the sport.

Aggro, grief, one upmanship and 14 year old type carry on. sad sad sad.

Do they have this carry on in the UK or is it just an Irish thing??

I remember the glory days when it was new and people were nice to eachother. Never to return I suppose.

Now watch me get attacked.

Edit- In meat world , airsofters are a nice bunch. Just what happened to boards???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

WOCM4 wrote: »
    Now watch me get attacked.

Edit- In meat world , airsofters are a nice bunch. Just what happened to boards???
    Your point is valid and you are entitled to make it - you won't be attacked for it on my watch. :)

And yeah, airsofters are still salt of the earth IRL but... give them a keyboard... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Just what happened to boards???

Threads like this that should never have been started, that's what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

jayod30 wrote: »
    Threads like this that should never have been started, that's what happened

I'm only 10 months in this sport and apart from one incident I witnessed with an aggressive individual at a skirmish (who ended up stopping a game, mouthing at a Marshall, and then stormed off stranding his mates), I've only met really decent, good natured guys at any skirmish or milsim event I've attended. Guys in the various airsoft shops have also been great to deal with, very helpful and not pushy when it comes to advising me on aegs, scopes etc etc. So all is well with the airsoft community in Ireland, until the IAA gets mentioned, and it all seems to go to hell in a hand basket. I don't know the ins and outs of what has or is going on with the IAA but there does appear to be a hell of a lot of bad blood for whatever reason. I'd agree with a previous poster that to anyone coming on to this forum who is thinking about taking the sport up might be scared away thinking there is a feud going on.

Can the whole thing be dropped and let bygones be bygones, whatever happened? Life is too short to be carrying so much aggro around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I think threads like this are needed, granted nothing progresses in a positive way but it has to start somewhere.

People sometimes just point blank do not get on with other people for numerous reasons, if an individual feels wronged etc then he/she simply can't just drop it if they feel it is important. By the looks of it someone is at fault, to the outsiders looking in we have not got a clue, me included but both parties are adamant in their reasons and are rightly so.

Yeah most airsofters are a nice bunch, but I am sorry dave you are bound to run into you simply just do not like, pretty much the same as on the outside world. It just happens, unfortunately.

Rome was not built in a day, so if the thread gets heated at times then so be it, like I said above it has to begin somewhere, if that takes years at least it might of began here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Do they have this carry on in the UK or is it just an Irish thing??

No, it's not just an Irish thing. It's just more obvious because of the small size of the Irish community and that interaction is spread across a very small number of forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Always makes me laugh when people think that the irish community is unique, some of the feuds, egos and arguments in the uk make irish airsoft look light weight, as lemming mentioned it just gets all concentrated due to the size of the community were as in the UK the different community's that may not necessarily agree with each other migrating to different forums for example

tbh the irish airsoft community was its own worst enemy to many people tried to move the community on to fast rather than it growing and maturing naturally, a large number of people tried to make airsoft one thing to all people, once size does not fit all and this just caused friction

but when it came down to it I actually see the last year or so as a move forward, we're seeing a lot of the old guard dropping off or going quiet ( actually it is why I have made a choice to be quiet myself ) leave the community to find its down natural equalibream rather than forcing it to be something it was not or large egos/personality creating friction or steering peoples views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

God Forbid, I think this is some constructive self analysis. Food for thought.

Its just a terrible image of the community online sometimes.

It need not be so with such a bunch of well intentioned enthusiasts.

Look at all the names from when this forum started, All gone, that is sad.

Anyhow, Im drunk again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

God Forbid, I think this is some constructive self analysis. Food for thought.

Its just a terrible image of the community online sometimes.

It need not be so with such a bunch of well intentioned enthusiasts.

Look at all the names from when this forum started, All gone, that is sad.

Anyhow, Im drunk again :)

Not everywhere online, just on boards!

There are better places on the internet than here for discussing Irish Airsoft....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭tonymccann

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah I was. And the accusation wasn't against the IAA, it was against very specific people, you included, who decided to have a little gossip and bitch about me when I offered to assist with some technical backend work for the IAA.

After hearing this, and commitee members flat out lieing that it didn't happen, I very clearly told you all to get ****ed

Yeah I did. An aggressive player kicked a pallet I was behind knocking me back, when I got up to confront he got aggressive so I smacked him. What's the problem?

That makes no sense, I'll try to actually break that down. You are trying to say that people who try muffle IAA criticise, end up coming out apologising and acknowledging something has actually happened?

Er, no.

The stuff you, Andy_G and Tony McCann have posted in this thread, has been total rubbish. You've harpered on about transparency, where the IAA last term was transparent as could be.
    Do you want a ****ing letter in your mailbox to give you a personal update on what's going on?

You don't even play the game anymore, you come out of the woodwork every now and again to get involved in IAA bashing, or anything you can get a bit of contro. I'd tell you that if you wanted to see change to get involved and run for a position, but sure we already know how that worked out don't we ;)

I take great offence to you saying that the OPINIONS that I aired in this thread are rubbish look at the thread title I answered that the way I see it that's all I did not name or aim my comments at anyone in particular I was just answering the threads question and being honest about how I felt at the time AND I use my own name here because I don't need to hide behind a stupid boards name these are my opinions and just to point out THE WEBSITE STILL HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED AND ACORDING TO THE WEBSITE THE 2010-2011 COMMITTEE IS STILL IN FORCE

all ill say is bad form bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

tonymccann wrote: »
    I take great offence to you saying that the OPINIONS that I aired in this thread are rubbish look at the thread title I answered that the way I see it that's all I did not name or aim my comments at anyone in particular I was just answering the threads question and being honest about how I felt at the time AND I use my own name here because I don't need to hide behind a stupid boards name these are my opinions and just to point out THE WEBSITE STILL HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED AND ACORDING TO THE WEBSITE THE 2010-2011 COMMITTEE IS STILL IN FORCE

all ill say is bad form bad form
    <mod snip>

Now, that aside.....

The Irish Airsoft Website - RE: Not updated. You are correct.

On the Homepage, there is a Closing statement, which mentions the Website, work being done and close to completion. However, I fail to see anywhere which actually stated a time frame for completion.

Irish Airsoft Webiste - RE: The Committee 2010-2011 STILL IN FORCE

The drop down box for Committee does list up to 2010-2011. This should have been updated. The only saving grace for them is when you actually click on the 2010-2011 Committee, it clearly states at the top of the page "THE Committee 2012".

RE: Airing your Views

You are perfectly entitled to air your views in relation to the thread/forum/topic. No Arguments there.

Personally, I don't agree with your views.

sci-ops wrote: »
    Now, that aside.....

The Irish Airsoft Website - RE: Not updated. You are correct.

On the Homepage, there is a Closing statement, which mentions the Website, work being done and close to completion. However, I fail to see anywhere which actually stated a time frame for completion.

Irish Airsoft Webiste - RE: The Committee 2010-2011 STILL IN FORCE

The drop down box for Committee does list up to 2010-2011. This should have been updated. The only saving grace for them is when you actually click on the 2010-2011 Committee, it clearly states at the top of the page "THE Committee 2012".

RE: Airing your Views

You are perfectly entitled to air your views in relation to the thread/forum/topic. No Arguments there.

Personally, I don't agree with your views.

that's great spend the first part of ur response slagging my gramer real good and I say again bad form

it would take five mins to update a webpage and keep it up to date and if that's the best you can do that's funny

you will prob say the same about my spelling for all you know I could have dyslexia I don't but that would be a nice way to treat someone if they did good man hiding behind your boards name well done

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

that's great spend the first part of ur response slagging my gramer real good and I say again bad form

Wow, ok I'm not biting that bait. But in Sci-ops defence it's actually outlined in charters and boards general rules and guidelines to use correct punctuation and formatting when writing posts.

And call it elitist if you like, but when you see a block of text without a full stop you instantly assume the person posting is a moron, that's just an unfortunate thing about online life.
    it would take five mins to update a webpage and keep it up to date and if that's the best you can do that's funny

Actually agree with you here. But as Sci-Ops found out, that's and incorrect link title. The 2012 commitee was outlined there. So it's a bug.
    you will prob say the same about my spelling for all you know I could have dyslexia I don't but that would be a nice way to treat someone if they did good man hiding behind your boards name well done

You know your even worse with the " good man hiding behind your keyboard" ****e. Are you insinuating that they wouldn't be so big in real life to you? That's pretty embarrassing....

At the end of the day websites can be tricky to manage and deal with. You have to remember the IAA website has input and users for people that are not technically minded.

I'm sure you are aware of the pitfalls yourself TonyMc. Sure I remember you kept banging on Facebook how it would take you less then a day to make a better website for the IAA, and that there are no excuses.

http://www.theairsoftcentre.com/shop

As advertised on your Facebook, actually reroutes to a ww2. address with some random stuff about paintball and general jibberish.

Should only take a few minuntes to fix, but if you need a hand drop me a PM and I'll be happy to assist, I'm sure it's probably some complex backend issue considering your so experienced that you wouldn't let the domain lapse.....

Wow, ok I'm not biting that bait. But in Sci-ops defence it's actually outlined in charters and boards general rules and guidelines to use correct punctuation and formatting when writing posts.

And call it elitist if you like, but when you see a block of text without a full stop you instantly assume the person posting is a moron, that's just an unfortunate thing about online life.

Actually agree with you here. But as Sci-Ops found out, that's and incorrect link title. The 2012 commitee was outlined there. So it's a bug.

You know your even worse with the " good man hiding behind your keyboard" ****e. Are you insinuating that they wouldn't be so big in real life to you? That's pretty embarrassing....

At the end of the day websites can be tricky to manage and deal with. You have to remember the IAA website has input and users for people that are not technically minded.

I'm sure you are aware of the pitfalls yourself TonyMc. Sure I remember you kept banging on Facebook how it would take you less then a day to make a better website for the IAA, and that there are no excuses.

http://www.theairsoftcentre.com/shop

As advertised on your Facebook, actually reroutes to a ww2. address with some random stuff about paintball and general jibberish.

Should only take a few minuntes to fix, but if you need a hand drop me a PM and I'll be happy to assist, I'm sure it's probably some complex backend issue considering your so experienced that you wouldn't let the domain lapse.....

all ill say is that its very easy to slag someone off from behind a forum name not once have I been so personal as to slag someone off because of gramer or spelling the reason why is because I have more respect for my self and other people and if I was going to slag you off ill do it to your face

the airsoft centre has long been closed and the website shut down

there is a reason why I keep harping on about the website and the reason is I had a phone conversation with a person from the DOJ on another matter and I just happened to ask his view on the IAA one of his responses was sure they cant even update their own website that's what people see and the funny thing is that everyone who tries for what ever reason to find anything out about airsoft in Ireland are directed to an out of date website i just think that's a failure simple as and the committee can make all the excuses they want but it should not be left like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

the airsoft centre has long been closed and the website shut down
    Yes Tony, gone but not forgotten and certainly not without a trail of destruction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

<snip, back seat moderation is not allowed, if you see something wrong or against the rules please report it.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

the funny thing is that everyone who tries for what ever reason to find anything out about airsoft in Ireland are directed to an out of date website i just think that's a failure simple as and the committee can make all the excuses they want but it should not be left like that

some changes have been made, i know previously you could not apply for membership directly from the site now you can. the "out of date" information is as has already been said a link error. maybe its a simple thing to change the contents of a drop down list on a website and maybe its not, but ultimately you are redirected to the correct information. Maybe they should simply have a "committee" page and change its content each year instead of creating a page each year. Maybe its something you should highlight to them instead of pissing and moaning on boards about it. oh wait cant skip an opportunity to bash on the IAA now can we.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ladies and gentlemen, try to remain civil. this is a discussion forum but try not to let it get out of hand or resort to put-downs, or abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The purpose of the new website, as outlined a the AGM in my presentation, is to keep things simple and straight forward, in order to avoid mistakes that come from complex paths and design and let the user simply get the information they need quickly.

Also I love how seemingly everyone and their mother has spoke to someone in the DOJ...

Why hasn't anyone in the DOJ spoken to me, arn't they aware I'm unreal at this airsoft thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

thermo wrote: »
    ladies and gentlemen, try to remain civil. this is a discussion forum but try not to let it get out of hand or resort to put-downs, or abuse.

This long ago ceased to be a discussion forum. It is a place where people with ulterior motives can post freely against the IAA. It should be locked and never reopened. As soon as one old topic is put to bed someone with a gripe comes forward and reopens another old wound.

Someone should bring this lame forum out the back and put a bullet through its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    This long ago ceased to be a discussion forum. It is a place where people with ulterior motives can post freely against the IAA. It should be locked and never reopened. As soon as one old topic is put to bed someone with a gripe comes forward and reopens another old wound.

Someone should bring this lame forum out the back and put a bullet through its head.

The thread had been opened by Steve who doesn't even play airsoft and thus no laundry to air.

He opened it for a discussion on whats wrong with the iaa and people from the committee past and present seem to have problems with a discussion. Im sure people will be finished posting about it when the thread has died.

In the mean time still a discussion forum if you dont wish to be part of it there is always the door its free to leave at any time.

On a lighter note happy friday all have a great weekend if gaming or not :)
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Steve wrote: »
    * you may not quote or answer anybody on this thread.

* you may not disagree with anybody's question.

* you may not discuss anyone else's question.
    andy_g wrote: »
    In the mean time still a discussion forum if you dont wish to be part of it there is always the door its free to leave at any time.

The thread was started to be anything but a discussion(note above quote from Steve).Looking at the rules and the title of the thread, Steve looks anything but impartial. Givin that on many an occasion the IAA have said they do not deal with complaints through boards, what was meant to be achieved here is anyone's guess, although I'm sure we could come up with a few reasons:rolleyes:.

Yes Andy, this is still a discussion forum, but this thread is anything but a discussion now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Andy it may well be a decussion forum but its as clear as day that any time an iaa post comes up it decends into the same crap. I'm involved in airsoft 2 years now and in that time all discussions on boards about the association decend into a bitchfest. Neither side seems to want to leave sleeping dogs lie. Some factions on boards seem to think that all airsoft and boards are on and the same. It aint.

As I said before the gaa don't come on here answering demands of boards users and neither do the fai or for that matter any other representative body so why should the iaa be any different? Oh wait because the greatold boys of boards want it? Balls to that.

I guarantee this thread will die eventually and someone will raise it or its evil twin brother again and we'll see the same **** thrown out by the same people on either side. It needs to be just stopped, any discussions about the association need to be forbidden as it just causes chaos. Christ even hrtas post for **** sake had nothing what so ever to do with airsoft as a sport he wanted money allegely owed to him. What the hell has that to do with airsoft? Sweet **** all that's what yet the powers that be have still weeks later left his post there. He got banned not for that but for using someones real name.

Can I ask Would it be ok for say some leaflet printer to come on her and complain should he hypothetically not be paid? Like hell it would I'm fairly certain hed be told where to go.

Its a ****ing joke we're all suppose to be adults and people are carrying on like spoiled ****ing teenagers on their periods,people need to just grow the **** up.

Why hasn't anyone in the DOJ spoken to me, arn't they aware I'm unreal at this airsoft thing?

Whilst siding with nobody in particular Doc, tonymccann makes one salient point that - in your humour - you've underscored whether intentional or not. The committee links still showing old committees from a couple of years ago can - and probably has (indeed, the last ten or so posts are eloquent proof) a rather damaging effect on the credibility of the IAA as both an active body and a body to be taken seriously by government.

To answer your question above, has anyone thought to ask whether or not the DoJ wants to contact the IAA at this juncture in time?

Look at that for a second. For a representative body, having unreliable information on who to contact is serious what-not-to-do 101 stuff. How do people contact you? Who are they to contact? And if they can't do either than why should you be taken seriously? Whatever other information is on your site, you [the IAA, not you personally Doc] need to have reliable and accurate details on who to contact and how.

Rather than arguing the toss, I think people should be asking in this day & age is why it takes so long for a body - any body - to change fundamental content on its website; never mind anything else. Looking at the site I'm gob-smacked at why the menu in question has not been updated. It's a word-press site. It takes all of one minute to sort. Site redesigns and this, that and the other are all fine and well, but what use is it if you've lost yourself in the trees and can't see the wood.

Lemming wrote: »
    Whilst siding with nobody in particular Doc, tonymccann makes one salient point that - in your humour - you've underscored whether intentional or not. The committee links still showing old committees from a couple of years ago can - and probably has (indeed, the last ten or so posts are eloquent proof) a rather damaging effect on the credibility of the IAA as both an active body and a body to be taken seriously by government.

To answer your question above, has anyone thought to ask whether or not the DoJ wants to contact the IAA at this juncture in time?

Look at that for a second. For a representative body, having unreliable information on who to contact is serious what-not-to-do 101 stuff. How do people contact you? Who are they to contact? And if they can't do either than why should you be taken seriously? Whatever other information is on your site, you [the IAA, not you personally Doc] need to have reliable and accurate details on who to contact and how.

Rather than arguing the toss, I think people should be asking in this day & age is why it takes so long for a body - any body - to change fundamental content on its website; never mind anything else. Looking at the site I'm gob-smacked at why the link in question has not been updated. It's a word-press site. It takes all of one minute to sort.

I have been trying to make this point all along and when I worked in the airsoft centre I did speak to the DOJ and also with the head of the firearms section in the gardi and some of the old committee know that when we had a small problem with the gardi in gorey we also contacted the iaa for some advice. advice that I have to say was given at the time and we kept in good contact with both the DOJ and the head of the firearms section and I have to say and have said to many of the committee members both have not been very complimentary of the iaa at all. im not going to post here again but to say I have tried to make the point if the iaa don't take it up more fool them I wish them luck but im not posting here just to bash the iaa its something that was said to me and I think its a crying shame if I cant post here and answer the question that was asked without my gramer being slagged off very adult like mmmm I think not

andy_g wrote: »
    The thread had been opened by Steve who doesn't even play airsoft and thus no laundry to air.

I'm pretty sure that's a load of balls. How could you moderate a forum and not try the game? <snip>

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's a load of balls. How could you moderate a forum and not try the game? <snip>

The same way that one can moderate any other forum and not be required to have an active interest in that subject matter. The mods of politics are not politicians, the mods of Personal Issues are not all counsellors, etc.

Lemming wrote: »
    The same way that one can moderate any other forum and not be required to have an active interest in that subject matter. The mods of politics are not politicians, the mods of Personal Issues are not all counsellors, etc.

That's true for some forums, but Steve has actually played Airsoft. Also, someone who ,moderated the politics forum may not be a Politician but may be heavily involved in local Politics. They may be part of a party campaign team. Yes?

I would say it is a fairly safe to say that Steve was asked to become involved in this forum because of his impartiality. Since then however, as anyone would, he has taken part in the hobby and become friends with the other forum mods.

I would like to clarify that this is not a slight on Steve's name or his ability as a moderator but simply to disprove andy_G's statement that Steve does not play and therefore has" no laundry to air".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Fairly new to airsoft and i always thought it was a fun hobby/sport to get into until i read some of the posts here.Staring to think was it a good idea and will there be a sport for the next generation/newbies to continue on. Im hoping so as i've become to enjoy the sport i'll just have to wait and see i guess

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement