Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I'm wearing... ***NO quoting photos***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wearing this since I got it a week or so ago. I suppose that any quartz's timekeeping should be pretty good, but happy with this all the same. It's supposed to be within 15 seconds over a year.

26945559452_fb5eb8dbff_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Eoin wrote: »
    Wearing this since I got it a week or so ago. I suppose that any quartz's timekeeping should be pretty good, but happy with this all the same. It's supposed to be within 15 seconds over a year.

Hi

Whats the app called?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Hi

Whats the app called?

It's called Twixt Time. It's in the Apple App Store. I'm not sure if it's in Android.
    It costs €5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    They can vary quite a bit. It's relatively easy to get them to under a minute per year, but under 20 seconds per year is exponentially more difficult. That's where temperature compensation, sometimes higher frequencies, the ability to regulate for quartz ageing and tighter production tolerances comes into play. In the early days accuracy was pushed and developed a lot, up to gigahertz speed Marine Chronometer grade*, but this didn't come cheap and they found the market wasn't too pushed so long as they were within a minute per year, so that gradually became less a factor by the 80's. The only one I can think of that bucked that trend and was part of the marketing was the Longines VHP(very high precision) of the mid 80's. Advertised as accurate to a minute every five years IIRC.

It seems to be coming back as a "thing" though. The GPS time signal examples since the Junghans are one way, but watches like the Bulovas went the higher frequency route. Breitling ironically though late to the quartz party back in the day(and that pretty much killed them) are one of the few big names left that still promote and develop the tech. Seiko another. Fair play in my book.

*IIRC the Omega Marine Chronometer was the first wristwatch to equal the accuracy of John Harrsions marine chronometer clocks. The mechanical chronometer grade can be passed if accurate to under a minute per month, though many do much better than that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

All of my watches I set based on either my cockpit based clock (GPS signal corrected for atmosphere/signal delays) or else my Casio G-Shock MR-G (GPS).

My mechanical watches are all wildly off this time regularly

I'll check out this app over the coming weeks perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

This Damasko is my daily wearer now, except when work dictates that it's a Seiko BFK day, ie. too risky.

386685.JPG

It's been a year since I bought my first vintage Longines, so it will be worn later today, even though it still stinks of tobacco.:eek: From the pre-quartz days when Longines were still at their best, 1967.

386686.JPG

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a "today I'm wearing" post, but instead a "What I tried on" post.

Background, we were out for lunch last Saturday in Amsterdam and we realised that the hotel was hosting a seriously fancy pants watchshow. As we were effectively "guests of the hotel", we walked in where we got to drink lots of wine and champagne, sit in an BMW i8 and try on lots and lots of watches.

BTW - does anyone here want a Mont Blanc or Panerai catalogue? I have copies after the show

The Rolex Air-King. I quite liked this, but I think I'd prefer the new Daytona Cosmograph. 40mm diameter so it worked quite well on my wrist

aEepTDsl.jpg

Seriously impressed by the IWC pilot watches. I tried on a few of them which I would never have considered before due to their earlier large sizes.

28plvO5l.jpg

Baume et Mercier had an original Shelby Cobra to celebrate their new new special edition

zy6EfiJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

A bit of color for today's gloomy day.

386964.jpg

386965.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That Seiko is a cracker
    *want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

That's a modded skx007 I think. And a very nicely modded one!

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    That's a molded skx007 I think. And a very nicely modded one!

Yup, double domed anti reflective sapphire crystal, Planet ocean insert and Murphy Bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Yup, double domed anti reflective sapphire crystal, Planet ocean insert and Murphy Bezel.

Very nice! Did you do the upgrades yourself or buy it like that. Looks great on that nato too!

Homer wrote: »
    Very nice! Did you do the upgrades yourself or buy it like that. Looks great on that nato too!

Bought the watch original, and sent it out to Yobokies to get modded. Wanted to retain the water proofness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

French LIP in house quartz from 1975.

dn26me.jpg

Another Roger Tallon design I believe. This one only came with their quartz. Don't come up too often as they were in production for only a short run. Had a cork strap from a while back and it fits it on the button. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Change for the weekend... Vanilla scented rubber... Mmm…

387152.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

^^^Amazing the difference the strap makes to the look of a watch, looks way better on the orange nato in MHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Stock image . but todays choice is my Reverie Sea Spirit

1388965_1719283198305719_1562512646_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sun is out so might as well wear a Solar

HjoEH7w.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

my god above thats a big watch :p

resize pic maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

my god above thats a big watch :p

resize pic maybe?

You know what they say about men with big hands........... big gloves

Sorry about that, I uploaded it on my phone and it looked fine on the mobile site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Took the speedy to the beach today on a nato

image.jpg
    free upload

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Took the speedy to the beach today on a nato

The Nato matches the dog's harness, nice touch :D

I have to get myself a speedy

More French LIP goin on. This time the second version of their Nautic-Ski, the world's first electronic Diving watch*. The first version came out in late 1966 and featured black and gold dials, by 68 this one came along, identical save for the colour/dial change. All were housed in the Swiss EPSA made Super Compressor cases rated to 200 metres. Work on a different principle to the Rolex Oyster style. No screwdown crowns here. It uses pressure to compress the case more and increase the seal. Very Taoist. :D The current Longines legend diver is based on their vintage one of the 60's. JLC, IWC and many others used these cases, so we're not talking cheapo here. The modern examples no longer use the Compressor principle of old, relying instead on seals(which are far better these days).

Anyhoo, the battery had died in it, at least I hoped this was the case… so out with the special caseback tool. You might get lucky with the rubber ball trick, but I never have with these. They're as tight as a camels bottom in a sandstorm. Even with the tool, they can be a vein popper.

388479.jpg

Love the diving helmet dude in the caseback. :) New battery in and..

388480.jpg

It's ALIVE!! Yay. :) Though battery driven these LIP R148 "Datolip" movements have a balance wheel and tick. The battery and electric bits essentially replace the mainspring and normal escapement, otherwise they're a 13 jewel "mechanical" watch. Though they do have a distinctive tick to them. More a metallic "clang clang clang". Accuracy wise I've found the ones I've had to be about the same as a good mechanical movement of the era, not nearly as good as a tuning fork and nowhere close to the quartz that were coming down the line.

This movement can be had in watches for under a 100 quid, but be careful the Nautic-Ski is about the largest(and most sought after) of them at 37mm(45 mm lug to lug and something like 13 mm thick) so wear large enough. But as you may see from the pic there's a fair bit of space between the movement size and case, so others with the movement are generally smaller for today's tastes. They generally survive the years well because of the good sealing and the movements are strong and spares are plentiful enough.

And here it is on the wrist with another of the era battery driven diver.

388481.jpg

Value wise the Nautics have climbed a fair whack in the last five years. In the noughties you could get one for 200 quid and usually less on an ebay auction, now more like double that and more. And triple that and more for dealer pricing. They don't seem to come up near as regularly as they did either. The later ones with more 70's tonneau style cases come up very rarely, but usually go for slightly less money. The very first series which didn't last long get the most money. They can be spotted because the rotating inner bezel is marked 15/30/45, rather than 10/20/30/40/50 and they have LIP stamped into the cross hatched crowns. Original first series example in the original dealers manual for them.

388484.jpg

along with the "dress" Himalaya, that particular type rarely shows up and is larger than most with the movement. Tropic strap on the diver. I cut mine off, because I don't like them and couldn't get to the springbars. Yeah. Well ye already know I'm that much of a gobshíte.

IMH they're still a little "undervalued" in the current market. These were used by the Cousteau team and are by far the cheapest route into that area of collecting. They were also used by guys like Eric Tabarly, French yachtsman and all around tough fecker. Here he is sailing with Bardot in 68. As you do..

f5ae9259904a7e63dacb8077d91e94d3.jpg

He seems to have had an original black dial example and soon after one like mine. His other watches again would be expensive today. Along with Cousteau he also favoured the Omega Marine Chronometer, which makes sense as unlike mechanical wristwatches with chronometer on the dial, you could actually navigate with it.

Well I haven't written a longwinded tome in a while, so I was due. :D

*and skiing apparently. One of the daughters of the family was an avid skier so.. I suppose a fairly waterproof watch would be a bonus in skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm still a one watch man for the foreseeable future (see comment below) and to be honest I've never been happier. The speedy has filled a void that no amount of other watches ever filled before. I do miss some of the watches I've flipped but would sell them all again if it meant owning one that just hit the spot.

Anyway what's great about owning only one watch is you don't have dilemmas about which one to wear. I get great enjoyment out of changing the straps. This week I'm rocking a tan leather.. Happy Monday all.

The blurring on the glass is baby moisturiser (See comment above) :)

image.jpg
    free picture upload

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Torgoen. It's big. It's legible. It goes on its own. All I need now is a plane.

388837.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Birneybau wrote: »
    GMmA96tMsBDUj2J88

1F5VBkEJp7CPcCVp8

Was in an airport the other day, got a 20% discount, will do for a while.

No pictures showing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No pictures showing for me.

Yeah, deleted. You were quick on the draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

emo72 wrote: »
    Torgoen. It's big. It's legible. It goes on its own. All I need now is a plane.

Loved mine, battery died, changed battery, no joy , then saw the connectors were broken....

Miss it..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

It only occurred to me after I'd had it on for a while how good a match the pepsodent hands on this Dutch UG are for the gansey I'm wearing.

14062016.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It only occurred to me after I'd had it on for a while how good a match the pepsodent hands on this Dutch UG are for the gansey I'm wearing.

Oh that really is the bee's knees. Love the retro style. The attention to detail and the color. A nod to our forefathers who knew the meaning of the word 'design'.

And the watch is not bad either.

Advertisement