Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I'm wearing... ***NO quoting photos***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Put the Glycine on a Hadley-Roma Cordura strap last night and really like the look. Seems to suit the watch much better than the leather strap it comes on.

MuqN6pZl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

This isn't getting much wrist time at all since the speedy arrived. I've almost become a one watch man.

image.jpg
    images upload

Ridiculous name aside, I'm really, really liking this watch. Wasn't expecting much but it's outperforming the Glycine for accuracy and consistently running at +10 seconds per day. The strap it comes on is marginally better than the strips of old Lada seats that Vostok use but it's still pretty much trash. Threw it on a brown leather strap earlier and I think it's looking pretty nice now.

sc1F3Oth.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jude13 wrote: »
    I was forward and back thinking of the old GMT Pepsi (always wanted one sice I was a kid) and the new DJII. The old GMT was a bit sporty for work, the DJII too blingy for shorts and tee and don't like the shinny centre link. So I bought thsi two weeks ago when I was back in Ireland.

Apart from Swatches and G-shocks, its my first grown up watch.

I haven't been able to choose a Rolex to aim for, that's the 1, beautiful piece.

Now to get 1 at a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Put the Glycine on a Hadley-Roma Cordura strap last night and really like the look. Seems to suit the watch much better than the leather strap it comes on.

What model Glycine is that?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

What model Glycine is that?

It's a Combat 6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

67IiECo.jpg

I signed up for the Kickstarter for the Rose version but it got lost in the post, they sent me this as a replacement with 3 straps, have to say I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

It's a Combat 6

That's a beaut of a watch. Really like it.

mad m wrote: »
    That's a beaut of a watch. Really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Brother in laws new addition. Swine! Suppose your only 50 once. Fecker loves to torment me with these photos. :)

image_zpsqawwawbb.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Almost listed this for sale recently! Mornings like this though remind me that I love it!

384400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Here is my new toy and my first half proper watch :).

26589638152_da23ba4c80_c.jpg

26655606996_a653f40ee6_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

384473.jpeg

Don't wear it that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

Cheers wibbs😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

porker36 wrote: »
    Cheers wibbs😊

He spoils us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

It's a cheapy but I love the history and tech behind it (Vostock Amphibia). Was wearing my tag aquaracer that I bought from bogmanfan until just a while ago when I came across the Amphibia articles again.

Wrist shot and scuba dude pic included. I look forward to taking one diving sometime in the future.

384608.jpg

384609.jpg

That's a real looker Thirdfox. Is it a 38mm case?

That's a real looker Thirdfox. Is it a 38mm case?

Hmm this site says 40mm:
    http://chistopolcity.com/en/420/69-russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.html

Mine is the SE version I got off Meranom so cost a little bit more than 50 dollars, around 80 dollars I think. It's really amazing the tech that went into this watch to make it a proper tool watch (the soviets didn't need any bourgeois bells and whistles!) I think it was rightly stated that if, say, Rolex or Omega had invented the case back or crystal design people would be lauding it's innovative tech (the Soviets innovated because their machinery wasn't precise enough to copy the Swiss waterproofing designs). Instead, I'm so happy we can enjoy an honest to goodness new mechanical wristwatch for $50.

Article into why the Amphibia is a great diving watch at any price point:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vostok-amphibia

And hey not knocking the expensive Swiss watches - JLC might be my next purchase but for 50 dollars I think everyone who is into wristwatches should add this to their collection (I believe Peasant(?) is our resident boards.ie Vostok enthusiast? He'll be able to show you his large collection of Vostoks I'm sure).

edit: and here's the tech analysis of what exactly Vostok did that was so impressive:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/491757?page=1

(the forum post was also referred to in the Hodinkee article I linked to already). The Vostok is my beater watch - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Edit edit: darn it... knew I shouldn't have sang praises about the Amphibian... just doggone went and bought myself another one
    http://meranom.com/amphibian-se/150se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-150521s.html this one has a GMT function. One left ;) will post pics once it arrives (got a shark mesh bracelet to go with it too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

IMG_20160429_095754_zps75rbksil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

This time TGV in keeping with tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fluffer wrote: »
    This time TGV in keeping with tradition.

ill take a shot of the GSOTM with the dart in the background one of these mornings for comparison :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

PAM560 on rubber for the first time..

IMG_5340.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Homer wrote: »

<YOINK>

you temptress :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

A Junkers, the silver dial picking up lots of colour from trees nearby ...

admb1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Homer wrote: »

That's mighty purdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Put the Sinn on a nato for the first time.

A8066BD9-8F04-46F2-9DCC-F9CEC2C2D4FC_zpsxuxnqoy4.jpg

Following on from the previous Russian watch I've got a fellow "red" watch on today.

The Chinese 1963 re-issue/homage. A column wheel chronograph based on a watch issued to Chinese pilots back in…1963.

384699.jpg

I think the movement looks lovely - though don't see it often when it's on its nato strap.

384700.jpg

Another "affordable" watch for those who like mechanical chronos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like that Chinese Chrono. :)
    Put the Sinn on a nato for the first time.

NM is that one of Eddie's Timefactor Natos? Was thinking strongly of getting one in orange. What do you think of the quality?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Wibbs wrote: »

NM is that one of Eddie's Timefactor Natos? Was thinking strongly of getting one in orange. What do you think of the quality?

I think the quality is really good, it's a lot stiffer than a normal nato, but I'm sure it will soften with a bit more wear. The only minor complaint I have with it is that all 3 of the metal keepers are sized for the nato being doubled over when it is only needed on one of them, so there is an unnecessary gap between the keeper and nylon.

It also seems to be slightly larger than 20mm, so is compressed slightly at the lugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

They are excellent but a little bulkier than a normal NATO - the received wisdom is that it's best to soak them prior to putting them on and let them dry on the wrist. The strap starts to mould a little and fits better.

Advertisement