Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child bearing years

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

mood wrote: »
    But what woman really wants a man much, much older! Some men seem to think they can get young woman despite them being much older. I think they are deluded. I know very few couples with a large age gap. I was chatted up by a man 30 year older on Friday night. I felt sick! He honestly thought he had a shot... and I look a lot younger than I am!

Well his wife was happy with the 20yr age gap. :D and she still has no regrets, they had a wonderful marriage and life together until he passed away recently.

Older men hitting on younger women is nothing new. Youth is attractive. And some can get women much younger - look at all the mail-order brides industry where you have a man well into his forties or even fifties marrying a 20 something Filipino, Russian or Thai woman. Bangkok is full of older male tourists parading girls who look barely out of their teens. Now, lets not pretend that the women find them all irresistible, but they find something to hold their interest.
    My parents had teens when in their 60s and they coped a lot better than younger parents.

Thats just what I described in my example :confused:. He had his youngest when he was 59, so the older children were teens when he was in his 60's.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure after raising kids you look forward to the years of not having to run after them any more.
    After?! You look forward to it during those years... ;)

Everything going our way, I'll have just turned 47 and my fiancée will be 45 at our youngest's 18th so we should be getting some degree of our freedom back in our early to mid-forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    What if neither person knows if they want to have kids though and you're still trying to work that one out yourself? Something like this is not so black and white in these modern times now that we have choices. It's a quandary I grapple with daily and I'm in my early 30s; trying to decipher if it's just biology making me broody or a real desire to have one. I'm in a relationship and we've discussed it and if I was to have kids, it'd be with him....but I still don't know. He seems a bit more sure than me. I've always felt this way.

Perhaps it's okay to carry on with a "I don't know at the moment but I've a few years yet to decide" instead of having to make a decision either way just because you're in a relationship?

What do yous think?

Well, Eve, since you asked... :p

No, of course you don't have to make a decision now just because you are in a relationship, but in your shoes I would be looking to come to a decision at some point in the next year or two, just because considering your age (32-33) it would be a wise choice to start considering what is realistic.

You seem to be in the perfect position to make a truly free, non-pressurised, and responsible decision about this, that is to say you have a partner who is on board with having children at some point but is not rushing you either (if I understand correctly). That's a lovely situation to have.

So, of course you will have to consider the financial, life-style and all the other implications of having a child/children and discuss them together, but I guess what I'm saying is start thinking about this? The main thing is to know your own mind before it gets very late in the day.

I'm saying all this I suppose as I've just seen someone on the weekend who I first met when she was about 37, she was in a relationship and was adamant that she didn't want kids. Some 2 or 3 years later (she was 40) she was single again, and then she started saying that "she still had a few years to decide" (I was like :confused::confused:, but kept quiet). And this is someone with a scientific background! Roll on another 7 years and she is 47, the boat has well and truly sailed, but she is still living in some kind of parallel universe where she thinks if she meets the right man tomorrow, it could all magically happen...babies, family, etc. Yet underneath this talk is a strong undercurrent of regret.

The person above is just a very extreme example of someone not knowing whether they're coming or going when it comes to these huge life-changing decisions, and fair enough, if she is like that, probably the best thing all around is that she didn't have a child; on the other hand, I don't think this kind of indecisiveness is very rare in this day and age (as you've mentioned yourself), but I guess what I'm trying to say as tactfully as I can (which is not very!), just be careful you don't get caught out once you possibly do get broody. Start thinking about it, that's all.

I was lucky in that I was around 30 when I got majorly broody, and my daughter is the result of that. My heart breaks for all the people who want kids but can't have them due to infertility.

I know that being child-free out of choice is not an easy deal for anyone either in this, let's face it, still very traditional, society, (that comment that was made to Whispered is unreal! :mad:) but at least the child-free people don't have the bl00dy biological clock to contend with! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My parents had teens when in their 60s and they coped a lot better than younger parents.

That's good to hear. I suppose I'm cautious because my own mam died young (48) and my dad (73 this year) is in terrible health (he smoked like a chimney for years and has basically ceased all form of exercise..ggrrrr). I've spent most of my adult life worrying more about him than visa versa (I'm no trouble). Knowing the pain of losing a parent so young ( I was 10), I'm probably more cautious than many. Both of us look after ourselves reasonably well though health-wise, so logically, I think we're grand.

Seenitall, thanks for your advice. It's something I'm seriously thinking over and I feel a more serious chat on the way to come to some sort of "make or break" final decision. I know many cases like the one you talked about in your post and that's not what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Neyite wrote: »
    Well his wife was happy with the 20yr age gap. :D and she still has no regrets, they had a wonderful marriage and life together until he passed away recently.

Older men hitting on younger women is nothing new. Youth is attractive. And some can get women much younger - look at all the mail-order brides industry where you have a man well into his forties or even fifties marrying a 20 something Filipino, Russian or Thai woman. Bangkok is full of older male tourists parading girls who look barely out of their teens. Now, lets not pretend that the women find them all irresistible, but they find something to hold their interest.

Thats just what I described in my example :confused:. He had his youngest when he was 59, so the older children were teens when he was in his 60's.

Mail order brides is a totally different topic. They want a meal ticket and are not in love with the men.

No it's not what you described. My parents are the same age. There is not a 20 year age gap. I simply said some of their children were teen when they were in their 60s. They had their last child when my mother was 44.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    That's good to hear. I suppose I'm cautious because my own mam died young (48) and my dad (73 this year) is in terrible health (he smoked like a chimney for years and has basically ceased all form of exercise..ggrrrr). I've spent most of my adult life worrying more about him than visa versa (I'm no trouble). Knowing the pain of losing a parent so young ( I was 10), I'm probably more cautious than many. Both of us look after ourselves reasonably well though health-wise, so logically, I think we're grand.

Yep my grandmother died at 54 very suddenly, when her eldest daughter was pregnant (first grandchild, me) and her youngest son was 14. It was a massive blow to all of the family and my poor uncle was basically dragged up then, he was the only one left at home so mainly lived on junk food because no meals were cooked anymore. I know this isn't a common case but that would be one of the reasons I'd like to do it earlier rather than later, she died weeks before she would've met her first grandchild, so wasn't around to help my mum with all the usual granny things and missed everything else. I know there are no guarantees in life but if things can be done earlier in life - that goes for all opportunities - you might as well do it, you never know when you're gonna go!

Wonder has the OP looked back into this thread yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

awec wrote: »
    My mum and dad had the right idea in my own personal opinion.

Both are in their 40s and all the kids are grown up to the extent that my parents have had their weekends back for the past few years without worrying about babysitting or anything child related. Youngest sister is 16, so she goes out at weekends, cooks for herself and can pretty much look after herself in the house completely.

I'm sure after raising kids you look forward to the years of not having to run after them any more.

I think I have the opposite perspective because I have the opposite experience.

Both my parents are in their early 60s, were mid to late 30s when they started having us. They spent their 20s travelling, career-laddering, going through and back to college, changing career paths, being very active in sport and travelling all over the place with that (mum was a big tennis player, dad was an avid golfer), taking random classes etc...so by the time we were born there was a solid circle of friends and hobbies that we were sort of initiated into.

Dad still golfs, and they still travel and work in great jobs, but obviously having kids was a game changer.

I'm 27 and having the time of my life. I live in Canada today, who knows where I'll be in even six months time. I'm single and I'll go where ever has the best options for me, career and lifestyle-wise. I couldn't imagine not having that freedom right now; I'm not sure it would suit me. I've spent my twenties travelling, career-climbing, achieving whatever random goal takes my fancy like marathon running, guitar-playing (distinctly average at that one...:o) and hope to do a Masters in the next year or two aswell.

All of this I hope will contribute to the lives that my future kid(s) will have (if I ever have them) and I feel I'd be happy to settle down and continue to live a fraction of the freedom and mindless, relatively irresponsible craic I've been living to date once I've got a few little people to worry about.

As it happens my older sister has a big disability, so they'll never get that 'freedom' back that they once had - and that's the gamble with having kids really; you never know.

But I don't really look at it as 'get them to 18 and then claim your life back' - my parents are still very involved in all of our lives, even though two of us are financially independent and living overseas. We speak every two days or so, she never stops worrying, fretting, questioning, lecturing, telling us off...the job of a parent isn't really one that you can escape from even when you have adult children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Am I unusual here? I still manage to have kids and have a life, okay I can't just go off somewhere on a whim but I never could anyway, things always had to be planned around work and finances. Even with my childless friends I don't see any major freedoms on their part, they have the same other stuff we have to deal with ie "do I go on a weekend away or put this money towards the gas bill" kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

eviltwin wrote: »
    Am I unusual here? I still manage to have kids and have a life, okay I can't just go off somewhere on a whim but I never could anyway, things always had to be planned around work and finances. Even with my childless friends I don't see any major freedoms on their part, they have the same other stuff we have to deal with ie "do I go on a weekend away or put this money towards the gas bill" kinda thing.

Its a perceptual thing. A friend with a one year old who is going on a hens said to me "oh my god, am I weird, this is my first weekend away from the baby, a drinking weekend too so Ill have to pace myself". I have no children but I havent been on a weekend away drinking in years!! Who does that unless its a hens or youre in your early 20s? Seriously, I barely drink now just because I dont dig it, not because children stop me.

There is the perception that I can just walk out my front door with a pair of knickers in a bag and go off exploring the world without organising babysitters. Just so we are clear, I still have a fridge and freezer full of food that can go off, bills to pay, a mortgage to pay, family commitments, etc...Im not about to drop all to go exploring!

Or that its grand for me to get a lie in at the weekends (whats a lie in, Im always up early!). Or that I can drink more on a night out or at a wedding because I dont have kids to mind the next day - who wants a paralysing hangover, kids or not? Or that I have plenty of time to spend on myself because I dont have kids to look after - well Ive discovered that glamour is not dependant on kids - its a personal thing, I never had it, I never will!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I had 100 times more freedom and free time before I had kids.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

My mom had me when she was 25, my sister two years later and my youngest sister when she was 48. My baby sister is 7 now and my mom doesn't regret it or feel like she has no energy to run around after her- in fact, she thinks having my little sister around keeps her young :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

For me it's the freedoms associated with just being able to come and go as I please to do things that are, well...more or less free! I can go training on weekend mornings the same time as my boyfriend. I can run into town, I can meet anyone for coffee anytime I like. I can book holidays that don't have to coincide with school holidays. Those kinds of freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    My mom had me when she was 25, my sister two years later and my youngest sister when she was 48. My baby sister is 7 now and my mom doesn't regret it or feel like she has no energy to run around after her- in fact, she thinks having my little sister around keeps her young :D.

Coming from a big family, I think that there is something in what you say. My parents were 46 and 52 when their last child was born, but this never meant that they didn't have energy for parenthood - quite the opposite in fact, they were both astonishingly involved in the physical side of games etc. In fact, my now elderly parents say that having children kept them young and active, and they are still both in robust health in their eighties. It might not be this way for everybody obviously, but being an older parent is not necessarily a bad experience for either the parent or the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's the simpler things like going for a jog after work if you want. Can't do that anymore, need to go home and cook and feed someone else.

It depends how active you were BC (Before Child). Some people were book readers and tv watchers who went out the odd weekend and notice no change. Some people are out every night of the week doing sport, education, charity or social stuff. For them it is a bigger change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Maybe 'freedom' is the wrong word for us to use when talking about living a life without kids - it implies a child would 'trap' us into a limited, mundane life we're unhappy with while all our childless friends are out partying and travelling the world.

I don't think that would ever be the case for me. If I fell pregnant tomorrow I would embrace it as a gift and that child would become the centre of my universe and probably the best thing to ever happen me.
    Malari wrote: »
    For me it's the freedoms associated with just being able to come and go as I please to do things that are, well...more or less free! I can go training on weekend mornings the same time as my boyfriend. I can run into town, I can meet anyone for coffee anytime I like. I can book holidays that don't have to coincide with school holidays. Those kinds of freedoms.

This sums it up for me. This is my life right now, this has been my life since I graduated college and it's shaped me into the person I am today.

It's the 'coming and going'-ness really. I've got no plans after work today, might meet a friend for dinner, might go to a gig, might go to the gym, might stay and do a bit of overtime. Likewise, next year? I might be back in Ireland. I might get a job in London. I might fulfill my dream of living in the States for a while or I might even end up in the Middle East. Everything about my life is haphazard, unpredictable, full of ridiculous possibilities and right now I'm enjoying that.

I'm aware it's got an expiration date, I mean it doesn't take having a baby to change your plans, a relationship, a family event, anything can do it really. But the reality is that being a mother will be the most important job you have, whenever it happens to you, and that will mean shaping your life around your children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

pwurple wrote: »
    It's the simpler things like going for a jog after work if you want. Can't do that anymore, need to go home and cook and feed someone else.

It depends how active you were BC (Before Child). Some people were book readers and tv watchers who went out the odd weekend and notice no change. Some people are out every night of the week doing sport, education, charity or social stuff. For them it is a bigger change.

I'm a single mum to a two year old, and the biggest adjustment for me has been the lack of spontaneity. Even something as simple as a look around the shops after work can't happen, because I have to be at the creche in time to pick her up.

I was 25 when I got pregnant, so only really starting to do everything I'd dreamed of. I wouldn't swap my daughter for the world, but my wings have definitely been clipped since having her.

That said, I've managed to complete a Masters degree since she was born, and have recently taken up running, so my life isn't completely changed. It's just more restrained.

The biggest curtailment on freedom is the limitation on the big decisions. Were I single and childless, I probably wouldn't be living in Ireland, I'd be either contracting in London (and earning 2/3 times my current salary) or travelling the world on the back of a few years of doing that. I'd still be able to afford the nice gym I used to be a member of, the skiing holidays I took once a year, nights out with the lads etc. I woudn't feel guilty for not spending time with the kids at the weekend if I wanted to go down to Kerry to go surf with my best friend etc.

username123: not exercising the freedoms you have, doesn't mean you don't have them. Sure, there are other ties (mortgages, extended family etc.) but they're not as all-consuming as children can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Itwasntme. wrote: »

48?? Wow didn't think that was possible, fair play to her. My mum was 36 when she had me and 43 when she had the youngest. Maybe when I was younger I would have liked a younger mum but her age didn't affect her parenting skills at all, in fact she was proabably better able to deal with all of the little family crises that came along because she was that bit more mature. I would love kids but I'm single.,34 and unlikely to be partnered up any time soon. So mother nature may well take the decision out of my hands. It's annoying though, when you see people who have the whole package, partner, kids, the lot and don't seem to appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I don't want kids now and doubt I'll ever want them, luckily OH has the same thoughts/opinions as me.

Really annoys me when family members ask if we are getting married/having kids etc, just cos we are together nearly two years doesn't mean we want to get married and have babies.

As for the 'but everyone wants kids and marriage'....don't get me started:mad: What a load of bullsh!t :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sleepy wrote: »
    I woudn't feel guilty for not spending time with the kids at the weekend if I wanted to go down to Kerry to go surf with my best friend etc.

You shouldn't feel guilty for allowing yourself time to be you. I get that they're only small for a short time but we're human and we need a break once in a while to clear our heads.

So many weekends are taken up with weddings and hens/stags at my current stage of life, it's difficult to justify doing something I just want to do, but I make sure I do all the same. The months can feel endless if you can't step outside of the norm for a couple of days once in a while.

I've always been better at that than my husband, but I think he might have a secret new year's resolution because he's taking a photography class now and playing table tennis once a week. I'm so happy for him, he was definitely feeling the walls closing in for a while last year.

Ah, I still take some time to do my own thing, but I still feel a bit of guilt about not spending that time with them. It's easy justify leaving them for a couple of hours to go indulge a hobby, but I find it harder to justify a full weekend when that's when I usually get to spend most time with them (work often has me away for long hours and usually only leaves me an hour or so with them before bed time midweek).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

My mother had my brother at 41 and myself at 45, and we are both fine and healthy specimens :)

No real point to this post other than to say to any women in their early/mid 30s who are worried about time "running out", it's not necessarily that black and white.
    Waiting doesn't mean it won't happen for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I've never wanted to have kids. Have had my own mother call me 'selfish' for this and I find that hilarious because how on earth is it selfish not to bring kids you don't want into the world! Partner has kids from previous relationship and does not want more so that works out well.

Thing is I like my life, I am a really busy active person I work full time and am heavily involved in sports, organisations and other things. I am not and never have been someone who could just come home from work and sit in front of the tv. I'd imagine if you were having kids is probably not as much of a culture shock.

For me it would be my worst nightmare to constantly have to plan everything in advance and to have to give up things for years, to be restrained to having to give up nine months of my life to have a child and then another 18 sacrificing everything for them. I've seen friends who were heavily into sport being gutted and having to give up because they are pregnant and resigning themselves to stepping back from things they enjoy for years when they have more than one child. In those cases i've always felt it was quite unbalanced and unfair in that their husbands didn't appear to have to give up anything while the wife had to give up an awful lot when kids came into the picture. One friend will get out for a day out at the weekend if she can get the husband to stay at home and mind the child i.e. get a pass. I find that mentality a bit disturbing to be honest as it seems in their relationship its her 'job' to look after the child when she is not in work and at weekends and the husband can do as he likes unless he agrees to mind the child. Now I no thats not always the case (I know a few men who have to look for a pass to get a day off at weekends!) but I was really surprised to see this mentality in some partnerships.

Anyway maybe I am selfish after all but while I like kids I've never wanted to have one. I've seen so many people give up their dreams and the things they enjoy for it and thats just so not for me I wouldn't think it was worth it. For me life is for enjoying. Whats nice is now days a lot more women are comfortable saying they dont want kids and people are gradually a bit more accepting of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Last poster - you are not selfish, you are making a choice... Would be more selfish to have kids and not want them. Parenthood is not for everyone...

What is annoying is when people who choose to stay child free look down on parents. I gave a friend who didn't / couldn't have kids and she now see herself as the poster woman for child free living. That's fine but she continuousły says how happy she is to be child free and that she can do what she wants, gives out about people not going out as much, playing tennis etc... If I was to turn the tables on her life choice it would be deemed unacceptable so why is it ok for her to disparage parentin but not vice versa?

As for your friend, she obviously lets him act like this do she can only blame herself. She is being a walkover!!! We are 50/50 with everything but friends of mine are the same as your friend and it would drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

CaraMay wrote: »
    What is annoying is when people who choose to stay child free look down on parents. I gave a friend who didn't / couldn't have kids and she now see herself as the poster woman for child free living. That's fine but she continuousły says how happy she is to be child free and that she can do what she wants, gives out about people not going out as much, playing tennis etc... If I was to turn the tables on her life choice it would be deemed unacceptable so why is it ok for her to disparage parentin but not vice versa?

Here's the thing, it feels sometimes like you can't say you're enjoying your choice without others thinking you're putting their choice down. (Not saying in your case CaraMay, just IME)

For example, earlier in the thread I was going to say

"I think it says a lot for our relationship that we can honestly say we're happy together and don't need to add another person to our marriage to be content"

I didn't say it because reading it back it sounds like I'm saying that anyone who has babies are doing it because they're not content with their life/relationship as it is. Which is not what I'm saying.

Now if you were to tell me how much you love your kids, how they are the best thing that ever happened to you, how they added a depth of love to your life you never experienced before becoming a mother, are you disparaging people who didn't have kids? I doubt it.

In the same way, someone who is happily telling you why she is happy she didn't have kids probably isn't trying to put your choices down. I'd imagine it could be defensive either? The amount of parents who think, and tell you, that you're missing out is huge. The little sympathy smiles. All of the "oh you wouldn't understand" type comments. Your friend could well be bigging up her own life in the hopes it won't be assumed that there is something wrong with her, or that she's missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

CaraMay wrote: »
    Last poster - you are not selfish, you are making a choice... Would be more selfish to have kids and not want them. Parenthood is not for everyone...

oh I totally agree I have known people who didnt really want kids and had them to keep their husband happy which I just find really odd. Its not for me and I have always known that. I'd never look down on anyone elses choice to have or not have kids but I hate the fact that some people will come out with statements. I had one guy who had met me twice tell me 'ah you will change your mind' and I lost the head with him - if you don't know me how on earth do you think its acceptable to dismiss my choice and assume i will change my mind because in your head obviously all women want the same thing!

My friend yes she has allowed that situation to happen. Its a pity as it just doesnt seem right for her to have to ask the husband to allow her go somewhere without her child at the weekend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Whispered wrote: »
    Here's the thing, it feels sometimes like you can't say you're enjoying your choice without others thinking you're putting their choice down. (Not saying in your case CaraMay, just IME)

For example, earlier in the thread I was going to say

"I think it says a lot for our relationship that we can honestly say we're happy together and don't need to add another person to our marriage to be content"

I didn't say it because reading it back it sounds like I'm saying that anyone who has babies are doing it because they're not content with their life/relationship as it is. Which is not what I'm saying.

Now if you were to tell me how much you love your kids, how they are the best thing that ever happened to you, how they added a depth of love to your life you never experienced before becoming a mother, are you disparaging people who didn't have kids? I doubt it.

In the same way, someone who is happily telling you why she is happy she didn't have kids probably isn't trying to put your choices down. I'd imagine it could be defensive either? The amount of parents who think, and tell you, that you're missing out is huge. The little sympathy smiles. All of the "oh you wouldn't understand" type comments. Your friend could well be bigging up her own life in the hopes it won't be assumed that there is something wrong with her, or that she's missing out.

^^ I agree with that.

People can be much too sensitive when people with opposing life choices talk about how happy they are with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We're 29 and definitely want kids in the next two years, money is the only issue really cause we're trying to get ourselves sorted career wise too!

I'm not kid crazy and will always bypass a cute child if there's a cute dog, cat, bunny or bird beside them but the way I feel when I imagine us having our own kids is totally different:)

Advertisement