Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

I've had 1 of those for over 3 years now.
    Great bit of kit and inflates a flat tyre to over 35psi on about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Thanks for the tip - just ordered one as a Christmas pressie to me from me :D

Just ordered one myself :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Just ordered one myself :-)

Super impressed with Overlanders - ordered yesterday morning, delivered today! Looks a proper bit of kit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Overlanders don't get considered enough when you think of the usual suspects. They are top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

zubair wrote: »
    Overlanders don't get considered enough when you think of the usual suspects. They are top class.

They were one of the first shops I went to for motorcycle stuff when I got my bike, its a great ride over the old military pass from Dublin to Gorey.
    Will probably pop down once I finish the DR650se to see the Urals they got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

F*CK sake, ordered an Oberon slave cylinder, several quick release pins for tanks and seats.
    Was supposed to arrive by dpd parcel wizard.
    Items arrived in their DO on 18th Nov and signed for.
    They are saying they have no parcel for me.
    €170 worth :mad:

Also, ordered a used KTM master cylinder for my Mastiff which arrived yesterday.
    I knew when I opened the package and it smelled like someone took a dump in it, the signs weren't good.
    Doesn't pump fluid and when I opened it up it was rusty inside the cylinder and the piston and seals are coated with rust :rolleyes:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    DPD have always been a useless shower of twits. Wouldn't trust them to deliver good news
    Actually now that I think of it, the last Oberon slave cylinder I ordered which was over 3 years ago, was delivered to parcel motel instead of parcel wizard.
    PayPal washed their hands of it saying it was delivered so tough.
    Luckily it turned up a few weeks later.
    Hopefully so does this :(

Anything I buy online that is reasonably expensive I use my credit card directly and not Paypal. They will try to duck out of any reason not to refund money, where as you Credit Card will help you out pretty handily
    Free returns with PayPal though which I got €64 back in the last few weeks.

I wonder how they'll be with the master cylinder?
    It was described as used but working order.

Super impressed with Overlanders - ordered yesterday morning, delivered today! Looks a proper bit of kit as well.

Same here
    Ordered Thursday
    Arrived Friday :-)
    Happy days

Came with a Sae battery connection
    Connected it to the battery and tried it out :-)

Got a bit further on the DR650se today.

Actually had a look at the engine to see what's there.
    Clearing out a bit of space in the house to work on it in the warmth when its too ****e to work outside renovating the mill.

Dad has a second spare engine somewhere here as well, the two were bought for spare parts and turned out the Engine on an Australian import was in very good condition.

We also got a ultrasonic cleaner off amazon for £120 (10 litres, but realistically 7 litre) for cleaning the Carb and other bits for the bikes.

Did the carb yesterday on it.

Turns out we have maybe 6 Carbs for the DR650se around the house including a TM40 Pumper carb that's going into the newer DR650se

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

goblin59 wrote: »
    Got a bit further on the DR650se today.

Actually had a look at the engine to see what's there.
    Clearing out a bit of space in the house to work on it in the warmth when its too ****e to work outside renovating the mill.

Dad has a second spare engine somewhere here as well, the two were bought for spare parts and turned out the Engine on an Australian import was in very good condition.

We also got a ultrasonic cleaner off amazon for £120 (10 litres, but realistically 7 litre) for cleaning the Carb and other bits for the bikes.

Did the carb yesterday on it.

Turns out we have maybe 6 Carbs for the DR650se around the house including a TM40 Pumper carb that's going into the newer DR650se

Love how the breaker liberated the donor engine from its previous home:)
    Carb body looking shiny and new.

H_Lime wrote: »

haha i know!
    tbh was probally the easiest way to ship the engine.
    So far looks decent, I've a set on stainless steel socket cap bolts to replace all the screws on the engine, so I'll be doing that next week as I get a chance and going over the engine as I do it.

This time last year, I didn't even know the switches or levers on a motorcycle xD

Beats the hell out of unbolting
    Plug in the angle grinder and off you go :-)

Beats the hell out of unbolting
    Plug in the angle grinder and off you go :-)

also made shipping easier too, didn't need to get a engine support frame made up for shipping.

Fixed a puncture on my own yoke with one of the plug kits
    What looked like a panel pin went through it
    The little C02 bottles only pumped it up to about 10 psi so out with the foot pump

:-( I thought I had fixed the puncture but It is loosing about 2 psi per day

So i might just get it replaced as it is 6 years old anyway
    But being down here in the land that time forgot ( Wicklow ) there's not much choice

I am wondering where is the best place to get a tyre
    And also what is the usual approach do the likes of Cotters install if you drive the bike up and do they charge extra ?
    Do you need to make an appointment

Or is it more common to take off the wheel and throw it in the car and bring it to them
    What are your thoughts ?

Current tyre is a 160/60 /17 Battleaxe bt031
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That tube is supposed to be loose, tuck it up somewhere it won't get wind blowing into it.
    Its something like an atmospheric pressure relief so the slide won't stick to the carb body.
    Leaking float valve? Try tapping it with a screwdriver handle, sometimes a bit of dirt will cause the valve to stay open and flood through the port in the bottom of the carb.
    No harm getting some tubing and running that drain down below the engine so it drains freely rather than on top of the engine.
    Fit a decent fuel filter with material not gauze.

^

Cheers gave it a few taps with a screwdriver and all seems good :) Thanks for the help. Still learning this stuff. Also looks like my bike doesnt have any sort of fuel filter.

They are good to have especially on older bikes, stops rust and crap causing overflow issues from the float bowl and blocking jets.
    You can get right angle ones if space is tight.

I prefer the clear ones that you can see into, bubbles and dirt can be signs of trouble.

^

Cheers gave it a few taps with a screwdriver and all seems good :) Thanks for the help. Still learning this stuff. Also looks like my bike doesnt have any sort of fuel filter.

have a look for a tiny paper cone one that could be in the Carb, we found one in mine. Was about 15mm x 3mm

Hlime, does the DR big have the same NSU issue as the DR650?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

:-( I thought I had fixed the puncture but It is loosing about 2 psi per day

So i might just get it replaced as it is 6 years old anyway
    But being down here in the land that time forgot ( Wicklow ) there's not much choice

I am wondering where is the best place to get a tyre
    And also what is the usual approach do the likes of Cotters install if you drive the bike up and do they charge extra ?
    Do you need to make an appointment

Or is it more common to take off the wheel and throw it in the car and bring it to them
    What are your thoughts ?

Current tyre is a 160/60 /17 Battleaxe bt031
    Cheers

Have bought tyres in Bray Honda and recently in Cotters. Just ring and give them your tyre size and they'll tell you what they have in stock . Cotters not exactly out the door this time of the year. Its a drive in drive out service and they will fit the tyres while you wait..

have a look for a tiny paper cone one that could be in the Carb, we found one in mine. Was about 15mm x 3mm

Dellorto carbs generally don't have those filters installed.
    Some Japanese carbs do though and you are right its worth checking for them.
    I hate filters in places that I can't see. Its a failure point and should be immediately accessible. Thats the main reason for an external clear filter in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Hedgehog

Here's a nice Exhaust I fitted to me bike replacing the ugly and heavy OEM.

Sounds great - check out the vid

https://youtu.be/HbhRb9ipxCg

Dave

So my 125 started pissing petrol from the bottom of the carb float. Question is the loose pipe in photo 1 supposed to connect to the pipe connector (photo 2 you can see the brass connector) at the bottom of the float where it was pissing out? The brass connector in photo 1 I am guessing is a crank case breather?

uGbnbO6.jpg

g8nroOy.jpg

Im not sure what the craic is here but that bare brass take off is meant to have a hose on it. Where it goes and what it does couldn't tell ya as I don't know what bike u own to check the fische.
    If I was to bet I'd say pump to carb feed as it seems north of the carb but if that were the case she wouldn't run for longer than a min or two as it would drain the float chamber n cut out.

Hlime, does the DR big have the same NSU issue as the DR650?

Nah tis a different set up on the 750's but it's well worth doing ahead of time on the 650. Get everything clean and dry and red loctite it in.

Nah tis a different set up on the 750's but it's well worth doing ahead of time on the 650. Get everything clean and dry and red loctite it in.

We have the clutch basket off the bike at the moment to measure the screws so we get the right ones.
    have 3 DR650se to do the fix on, I can't believe Suzuki wouldn't just spend the extra on a clip.

We were able to just fingers to remove the current screws on the NSU.

We have the clutch basket off the bike at the moment to measure the screws so we get the right ones.
    have 3 DR650se to do the fix on, I can't believe Suzuki wouldn't just spend the extra on a clip.

We were able to just fingers to remove the current screws on the NSU.

Just in time so, if that got loose, well you can imagine:rolleyes:.
    I think 4th gear can be dickie on the later 650's. So much so ricor in the states started making them from better stock for adventure heads who were headed middle of no where wasn't playing on their minds.

Just in time so, if that got loose, well you can imagine:rolleyes:.
    I think 4th gear can be dickie on the later 650's. So much so ricor in the states started making them from better stock for adventure heads who were headed middle of no where wasn't playing on their minds.

There's videos of guys who have done maybe 1000k on the clock and then can undo the screws easily, the plastic on the NSU shrinks and expands with the heat and causes them to come loose

The casing is coming off the side of the 2014 DR so will check that out too.
    Dad ordered quite a bit of the Procycle upgrades for it though.

Have the Ricor intimidators on the way for the forks btw, they were a must have upgrade.

There's videos of guys who have done maybe 1000k on the clock and then can undo the screws easily, the plastic on the NSU shrinks and expands with the heat and causes them to come loose

The casing is coming off the side of the 2014 DR so will check that out too.
    Dad ordered quite a bit of the Procycle upgrades for it though.

Have the Ricor intimidators on the way for the forks btw, they were a must have upgrade.

I have the breakdown tool and sandvick shims for them too. Was out in Vegas and visited them and let me and another few lads trial them for the DR and etv. Nice chap Don but I believe the cust serv is gone to sh1t as they're making a killing selling armament parts for military more so these days. Basically if it ain't in stock forget about it!

• Advertisement

I have the breakdown tool and sandvick shims for them too. Was out in Vegas and visited them and let me and another few lads trial them for the DR and etv. Nice chap Don but I believe the cust serv is gone to sh1t as they're making a killing selling armament parts for military more so these days. Basically if it ain't in stock forget about it!

Going to start looking at getting the proper tools for working on the DRs soon, havn't the space though as construction on the garage got stopped with another project coming up and then the covid isolation stuff.

I was considering their shocks, but i'm only about 63kg and would be using soft panniers and stuff on this bike. I'm not stalling the pannier foot pegs either on it. This is going to be a solo bike only!
    So going to take the stock shock from the 2014 and Dad is upgrading his to a wilber

Advertisement