Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

The sprocket felt tight enough when I put it back on did not feel sloppy considering the wear on the shaft
    Got the wife to stomp on the brakes and tightened it up
    No Grease or oil

No immediate plans to swap out the gearbox cartridge yet I will see how it goes and check it next weekend and make sure it has not come loose

Thanks for all the replies :-)

If the sprocket in on to correct spec you will pretty much need an airgun to take it off, that thing must have been hanging off to end up like that.

When you out the new one on you should use red loctite on it and holding the brake probably won't be enough, I would either use an impact to put it on or else out wood through the back wheel to lock it to the frame when tightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Goose81 wrote: »
    If the sprocket in on to correct spec you will pretty much need an airgun to take it off

Or bicep guns

Or bicep guns

On my last gsxr myself and a mate jumping on a 5 foot breaker bar wouldn't take it off, had to bring it to a tyre shop to use their air gun lol

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

If the sprocket in on to correct spec you will pretty much need an airgun to take it off, that thing must have been hanging off to end up like that.

When you out the new one on you should use red loctite on it and holding the brake probably won't be enough, I would either use an impact to put it on or else out wood through the back wheel to lock it to the frame when tightening.
    Yeah I was able to undo it by hand :-(

I could probably do with an impact gun alright between the car and the bike

More Hints for the Christmas prezzies
    Something like this would probably do the job
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18-fmtiwf12-502x-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-redlithium-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench/192fj

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18-fmtiwf12-502x-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-redlithium-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench/192fj

Jaysus you're not expecting much! :pac:

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Jaysus you're not expecting much! :pac:

Might as well dream here as in bed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On my last gsxr myself and a mate jumping on a 5 foot breaker bar wouldn't take it off, had to bring it to a tyre shop to use their air gun lol

Then it was massively overtightened, and I'd be wondering what that might have done to the gearbox if it was put into gear to tighten it :/

If the shaft isn't worn, it's torqued up to spec and lockwashered properly then it's never coming loose by itself, there's no point loctiting it or overtightening it. If the shaft is damaged then you're screwed sooner or later anyway.

Rear wheel nut and hub nut were 146Nm on my Triumph, that's a lot, but were still easy to do up / loosen with a metre long bar.

You get more leverage pulling upwards than pressing downwards, using your thigh muscles instead of just your body weight.

Air wrench / electric impact wrench for a bike would be a waste of money tbh. Impact driver (cheap hand tool you whack with a hammer :) ) can be handy for undoing seized engine case bolts though. But if they're seized badly they usually just break!

Life ain't always empty.

I meant impact gun, they are actually quite cheap now. Also in every manual I have ever read it specifies to use locktite but I get what you mean

Then it was massively overtightened, and I'd be wondering what that might have done to the gearbox if it was put into gear to tighten it :/

If the shaft isn't worn, it's torqued up to spec and lockwashered properly then it's never coming loose by itself, there's no point loctiting it or overtightening it. If the shaft is damaged then you're screwed sooner or later anyway.

Rear wheel nut and hub nut were 146Nm on my Triumph, that's a lot, but were still easy to do up / loosen with a metre long bar.

You get more leverage pulling upwards than pressing downwards, using your thigh muscles instead of just your body weight.

Air wrench / electric impact wrench for a bike would be a waste of money tbh. Impact driver (cheap hand tool you whack with a hammer :) ) can be handy for undoing seized engine case bolts though. But if they're seized badly they usually just break!

If my memory serves me right and it usually does, there was damage done to that gsxr.

146nm seems crazy tight doesn't it.
    Is that what it said in the manual?
    I wouldn't take manuals as gospel though.
    My Aprilia manual says 120 for the rear wheel but that's too tight.
    100 is enough.
    Fellas damaging their bikes over manuals isn't unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Have that fella myself and its a super job!! Have too much milwaukee stuff if I'm being honest!!

• Advertisement

hedzball wrote: »
    Have that fella myself and its a super job!! Have too much milwaukee stuff if I'm being honest!!
    looks the Biz alright

blade1 wrote: »
    146nm seems crazy tight doesn't it.

Not really, single sided swingarm so that 46mm nut was the only thing holding the rear wheel on :)
    Is that what it said in the manual?

Yep and every single sided swingarm Triumph model is the same.

Life ain't always empty.

I meant impact gun, they are actually quite cheap now. Also in every manual I have ever read it specifies to use locktite but I get what you mean

Never heard of loctite being recommended for a front sprocket. It's redundant as there's a lockwasher.

Life ain't always empty.

Not really, single sided swingarm so that 46mm nut was the only thing holding the rear wheel on :)

Yep and every single sided swingarm Triumph model is the same.
    Ah right, single sided swingarm, forgot about that! :rolleyes:

A speed triple, is it?

Sprint ST 955i

Now RIP.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Put a Scottoiler E system on the bike, expected it to take about an hour. 4 hours later..

I'm going to put a new screen on it soon too as I get fair bit of buffeting at 100Km or so.

Will look to get an exhaust also but the stock exhaust sounds quite nice and it spits and pops too.

ukgVAHR.jpg
    OC6kzLU.jpg

Anyone using Led bulbs ?

The Kawasaki V lights are not great ( or my 55yo eyeballs are not great )
    But I was thinking of upgrading to Led
    A little put off by the large heat sync / fan arrangement one some
    They are cheap enough but are the stated improvements worth it ?
    Anyone done it with the H7 bulbs supposedly better for the charging system too
    Cheers
    J

well I eventually got around to doing the valve shims on the V
    5 of the 8 valves were out of spec and some weeks ago I ordered a box of various sized shims

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the shims in the inlet valves were not the stock 2.95mm that the V came out of the factory with which means that at some point in its 40'000 mile history it did get some tlc

So for example inlet valve
    The installed shim was 3.15mm
    Measured clearance was 0.10mm ( spec is 0.15-0.2mm
    So to increase the gap I installed a 3.05mm shim which brought the gap to the upper limit of 0.2mm

Used one of the telescopic magnet tools to lift out the bucket with the shim attached worked a treat

531188.jpg

Lovely

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the engine in my yoke, purely for something to do...

Lovely

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the engine in my yoke, purely for something to do...
    Give you something to do on these dark rainy nights :-)

• Advertisement

Give you something to do on these dark rainy nights :-)

Well the shed is ok for the bike but not sure how the missus would feel about me turning the bedroom into an 'engine room'

Well the shed is ok for the bike but not sure how the missus would feel about me turning the bedroom into an 'engine room'
    It will be grand she probably won't even notice :-)
    Or tell her its a new gaggia coffee machine your building

It will be grand she probably won't even notice :-)
    Or tell her its a new gaggia coffee machine your building

Shes clever and I'm trying to hang on to this one. She already bought me some Snap On gear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Surely she won't complain about some pipe in the bedroom? :pac:

Last Monday - bank holiday - I finally got round to starting to strip my forks.

Blew the seals on my first post-lockdown ride in April - faffed around for a few weeks before ordering the parts - took a few weeks for them all to arrive, and in the meantime I injured my knee pretty bad and was on crutches for a while.

So here we are

531319.jpg

Using my cheap-ass paddock stands I just about managed to raise the sump up enough to get wooden blocks under it, I had just enough clearance to roll the front wheel out, but only just :rolleyes:

There's a special tool to tighten/loosen the cartridge, with the springs and fork caps still in I was able to undo the bolt at the bottom of each fork easily, may need to use the same method in reverse to tighten them, or can cut teeth into the end of a suitably sized pipe.

531320.jpg

Some bubbling in the finish, sand off with fine sandpaper and then some Hammerite smooth silver do you reckon? Brush or spray?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Brush always gives a thicker coat to resist stone chips, and in your case the thin layer of dirt should hide any brush marks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Last Monday - bank holiday - I finally got round to starting to strip my forks.

Blew the seals on my first post-lockdown ride in April - faffed around for a few weeks before ordering the parts - took a few weeks for them all to arrive, and in the meantime I injured my knee pretty bad and was on crutches for a while.

So here we are

531319.jpg

Using my cheap-ass paddock stands I just about managed to raise the sump up enough to get wooden blocks under it, I had just enough clearance to roll the front wheel out, but only just :rolleyes:

There's a special tool to tighten/loosen the cartridge, with the springs and fork caps still in I was able to undo the bolt at the bottom of each fork easily, may need to use the same method in reverse to tighten them, or can cut teeth into the end of a suitably sized pipe.

531320.jpg

Some bubbling in the finish, sand off with fine sandpaper and then some Hammerite smooth silver do you reckon? Brush or spray?

Looking good dude, if that bike or similar rwu Suzukis are gona feature in yer garage you might wanna make a cheap and quick tool so you can torque the 8mn Allen at the bottom.
    https://ibb.co/tK6hVSR
    https://ibb.co/bBjb4WD
    https://ibb.co/gjpnhwJ
    Head into the local coop or tool place and spend 15 quid buying 3 M16 bolts and a length of 16mm threaded rod. Tightened the two bolts together at the end of the rod, red loctite will help. If you're feeling fancy file the bottom of the receiving bolt flat to remove the chamfer for a more positive fit.
    For a handle buy a 16mm threaded eye like this https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/eye-bolts-9931836397.html and join it with another m16 bolt and red loctite.
    I'd aerosol paint the lowers, brush marks are gack. Simoniz wheel or cantdecides fav hammerite. Some fine wire wool or wet n dry first followed by degreasing and primer.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Got the SV more or less finished. Lots of little jobs and some bigger jobs done...

Only spotted this, looks lovely!
    I missed the Fazer where is she now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

H_Lime wrote: »
    Only spotted this, looks lovely!
    I missed the Fazer where is she now?

Still in my shed!!

I sidelined her when I thought I'd get the SV turned around quickly. Unfortunately, the day job went into overdrive for August and September so neither bike got the attention they needed.

The SV is now done so I stuck the Fazer back up on the bench a few weeks ago and she's getting there. All she needs is brakes overhauled, one last look into the carbs and to get the paintwork done (I have all the materials). After that, if she fires and runs okay and there are no snags, all she'll need is a final torquing and a new owner!

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Still in my shed!!

I sidelined her when I thought I'd get the SV turned around quickly. Unfortunately, the day job went into overdrive for August and September so neither bike got the attention they needed.

The SV is now done so I stuck the Fazer back up on the bench a few weeks ago and she's getting there. All she needs is brakes overhauled, one last look into the carbs and to get the paintwork done (I have all the materials). After that, if she fires and runs okay and there are no snags, all she'll need is a final torquing and a new owner!

Can't wait. To see er finished, loadsa pics n vids!
    SV should fly out the door for you.

Well from a riding perspective that's 2020 done n dusted. Lasts spin of the year just there, filled the tanks and rode the ring off her:eek:
    Now to clean and service her for next Yr. She averaged circa 50mpg this season and just needs fluids n filters. Oh and indicators.
    IMG-20201113-141315.jpg

Advertisement