Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

macplaxton wrote: »
    That mechanical water pump seal is expensive as is the oil seal.

Even an aftermarket kit is only £44.10 plus post.

https://www.quadbikeswales.co.uk/yamaha-yfm660-raptor-01-05-moose-racing-water-pump-rebuild-kit.html

or

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/333768375117

That'll do nicely, thanks Mac ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Hat-tip to CJhaughey that there were kits too.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Yamaha Raptor had a 660, Probably the same or very similar engine.
    Aftermarket kits are available for them.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401994869892

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Why dontcha put up a thread of your work. Always nice to see a bike go from basket case to something that makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That white is nice but there was a NR500 style paint scheme in 1993 which I thought was awesome.
    81f3c99eebd09e37ae1539812e77a1b6.jpg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That white is nice but there was a NR500 style paint scheme in 1993 which I thought was awesome.
    81f3c99eebd09e37ae1539812e77a1b6.jpg

That's the very one I had in 94 CJ.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

NR750 paint scheme ;) there never was a roadgoing NR500.

Life ain't always empty.

blade1 wrote: »
    F*CK sake, ordered an Oberon slave cylinder, several quick release pins for tanks and seats.
    Was supposed to arrive by dpd parcel wizard.
    Items arrived in their DO on 18th Nov and signed for.
    They are saying they have no parcel for me.
    €170 worth :mad:

After weeks of zero assistance from DPD through emails and phone, I ask them on twitter yesterday could they locate my package.
    They ask for a description, which I give and they get back to me today saying they have found it and it will be delivered tomorrow.
    Amazing the quality of customer service when the public can see it on twitter.
    Happy days anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

After weeks of zero assistance from DPD through emails and phone, I ask them on twitter yesterday could they locate my package.
    They ask for a description, which I give and they get back to me today saying they have found it and it will be delivered tomorrow.
    Amazing the quality of customer service when the public can see it on twitter.
    Happy days anyway. :)

Some of the couriers are really crumbling with demand this year. Fastway at that ****e too, signed into the depot but disappears then. Glad you got your stuff in tbe end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

Today started to try to work on my bike. (Complete novice on working on bikes) I’ve been trying to diagnose my bikes issues as a new biker using the Haynes manual so my bike is cutting out as I’m entering roundabouts (strange I know). It feels like it does when the kickstand is down and goes into gear it just cuts out. Riding fine for ages and on the way back from trips. Dunno if it’s me approaching roundabouts or the kickstand sensor is the issue. I’ve been riding about 5 months now and is only an issue in the last say month. Any advice? I disconnected the side stand switch but bike still cut out when I put it into gear with the kick stand down. 125 cc Suzuki Marauder.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

My bike has a vehicle down sensor that kills the engine / fuel if it falls over
    And it works :-) I tested it by falling off

Not sure if the marauder has one ? maybe a bit of googling will tell

Does the FI light com on when it cuts out?

What year? is the bike

• Advertisement

My bike has a vehicle down sensor that kills the engine / fuel if it falls over
    And it works :-) I tested it by falling off

Not sure if the marauder has one ? maybe a bit of googling will tell

Does the FI light com on when it cuts out?

What year? is the bike
    02 , I’ve only the gear light and indicator ones on my “dash”

Waa7 wrote: »
    I disconnected the side stand switch but bike still cut out when I put it into gear with the kick stand down. 125 cc Suzuki Marauder.

I would prob think the terminals of the plug would need to be bridged rather than just unplugging the switch
    It is prob looking for continuity across the terminals but i'm not familiar with that
    model
    Bit more googling might be in order

I would prob think the terminals of the plug would need to be bridged rather than just unplugging the switch
    It is prob looking for continuity across the terminals but i'm not familiar with that
    model
    Bit more googling might be in order

I’ve just watched a YouTube video and I understand you bridging comment too I’ll try that one the weather is clear, I’ll let you know how I get on, it’s literally bypassing the kickstand switch.

Waa7 wrote: »
    I’ve just watched a YouTube video and I understand you bridging comment too I’ll try that one the weather is clear, I’ll let you know how I get on, it’s literally bypassing the kickstand switch.

Worth a try for a short period
    But get it replaced if it is faulty ( suicide stand )

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Some of the couriers are really crumbling with demand this year. Fastway at that ****e too, signed into the depot but disappears then. Glad you got your stuff in tbe end.

:)

IMG-20201218-160334.jpg

:)

IMG-20201218-160334.jpg

Great success!

Anyone used PJ1 Fast Black for tidying up black frames? I don't have much to do at all, just a niggly bit that I've seen whilst doing some ACF50 bits and now can't unsee.

Side note, got new tyres last week from the folks in Sprocket and Hub in Adare, Pilot Road 5. Fantastic!

Ima gona nick yer seat and tank Blade:)
    Glad you got them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Anyone used PJ1 Fast Black for tidying up black frames? I don't have much to do at all, just a niggly bit that I've seen whilst doing some ACF50 bits and now can't unsee.

Side note, got new tyres last week from the folks in Sprocket and Hub in Adare, Pilot Road 5. Fantastic!

Not sure what size area you have to do but halfords touch up kit has worked fine for me on wheels and frame in the past.

Have used it and if petrol or brake cleaner touch it it washes off. Old pjfb was pulled from shelves about 10yrs ago (carcinogenic) and was petrol resistant.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ima gona nick yer seat and tank Blade:)
    Glad you got them in the end.
    At least I'll know who to blame :pac:
    Anyway you'd have to catch me first.
    Manage that and you'd deserve the whole bike ! :P

At least I'll know who to blame :pac:
    Anyway you'd have to catch me first.
    Manage that and you'd deserve the whole bike ! :P

My Dr is slow but with 29 litres of gazalene on board I'll catch ya up! :D

I could do with them quick release fellas on a couple of the bikes.

Essential for ape owners!
    A man of your talents would probably knock em up in no time
    Here they are.
    Not cheap for what they are
    https://www.apworkshops.co.uk/quick-release-seat-pins-pair.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Safari tank?
    Dad is thinking of sticking one onto the 2014 DR, currently it has the 25L Acerbis tank, but he wants that back onto the other DR

zubair wrote: »
    Not sure what size area you have to do but halfords touch up kit has worked fine for me on wheels and frame in the past.

Good shout. It's a relatively small area for now so a touch kit might be just as handy.

Have used it and if petrol or brake cleaner touch it it washes off. Old pjfb was pulled from shelves about 10yrs ago (carcinogenic) and was petrol resistant.

Ah right, that's a bit of balls so. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Xvx is bagged away for winter and the Z7 is having some work done on its front end over the next few weeks. Doubt I will be on the road again until mid-January.

Dan.

Well I finally got around to buying some Hammerite smooth sliver and Special Metals Primer (both with brush application) but the prospect of a cold shed, hours of effort, and a still imperfect finish is losing its appeal

Some recommendations in the Dublin area where I can get fork lowers blasted and powder coated? What sort of money am I looking at? Thanks.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sprayed mine like new In a few hours. Tbh it's little work.

• Advertisement

What did you use Listermint and what prep did you do? I looked at the spray Hammerite smooth but the coverage per can was crazy, 0.4 sq m per can per coat and you'd need two or three coats so the cost escalates rapidly to the point where I'd wonder why I'm doing it myself.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement