Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Calipers cleaned,chain cleaned,and new pads in.
    Bike totally cleaned down too.

And it's to piss rain tomorrow..... 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Nothing wrong with that, I see we've both graduated from doing it in our front gardens these days tho eh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks H, my fork isn't like that though, the cartridge tool has a castellated end like this (1 of the 4 cut outs done) and sv-portal.com describes how to make one. But I may well not have to.

17CutoutCastles105mmsectionsgo.jpg

Good call on the alloy wheel paint, it'll be either that or Hammerite spray. Haven't had the chance to do any more with the bike since :rolleyes: better make some time tomorrow.

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks H, my fork isn't like that though, the cartridge tool has a castellated end like this (1 of the 4 cut outs done) and sv-portal.com describes how to make one. But I may well not have to.

17CutoutCastles105mmsectionsgo.jpg

Good call on the alloy wheel paint, it'll be either that or Hammerite spray. Haven't had the chance to do any more with the bike since :rolleyes: better make some time tomorrow.

Well f me pink if Suzuki the parts bin gods didn't re use that blood multi point damper rod, sorry for the waffle so.
    Whack up some picktars as ye go for prosperity Eoin, this end of the forum is quiet bar Japcatis obsessive cleaning, he always had his old rs250 sick n span!

90s gixer 600 forks on SV1k (before the gixer went USD)

Wow if JC is who I think it is then this really is a small world :)

Thought it was funny you suggesting I go to the co-op though, not many of them round here :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

meme-creator-buzz-lightyear-meme-generator-at-memecreator-org-54157805-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Went out to fit the speedo cable and noticed a large pool of fluid under the bike :eek: Turns out the fuel line under the tank had split. Simple fix and about 10e of fuel on the driveway

Question is their some sort of knack to fitting the speedo cable. Start at the clock end? I got it in on the front wheel and thought I had in in the clock. But nothing, the cable is spinning inside.
    Find out which end isn't connected properly, connect the wheel end first, raise the front wheel and spin it, does the cable top end spin too? If it does, connect to the clock.If it still doesn't move on the clock, maybe its the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find connecting the clock end first is easier, just attach the outer cable and tighten it up, then slide the drive cable in and rotate it so the square drive part engages the clock end.
    Once that is in place then rotate the other end so it can engage the wheel drive and then fasten it to the wheel.
    This may sound arseways because you aren't utilising the powerful force of gravity but I have found it harder to tighten the threaded part to the speedo than the bottom to the speedo drive.
    Just make sure its lined up correctly before you fully tighten everything up and spin the wheel and retighten if necessary.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Thanks H, my fork isn't like that though, the cartridge tool has a castellated end like this

Like this?

533270.jpeg
    533271.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Question, the gearshift on my project bike works fine but I doesnt have that nice bounce back to centre that my new bike has. Granted its old but is that due to the spring being a bit old (part 4 below)?

lrXzEqC.jpg

No that spring is the return for the brake light switch, the parts that affect the feel of the shift are probably internal springs in the selector drum inside the cases
    This spring:
    https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nsr125r-1992-n-switzerlandkph_model3583/spring-gearshift_24651ky4901/#.X7VBbGj7Sbg

• Advertisement

Check your chain is well adjusted, might improve the feel a bit? Maybe adjust the shifter on the splines so its positioned just right for you. Failing that get the tools out! :)

macplaxton wrote: »
    Like this?

Yep like that.

However I can't get the fecking fork caps off, they unscrewed from the fork tubes easily but won't come off the preload adjuster rod :( applied what should be more than enough force but won't budge.

Life ain't always empty.

Yep like that.

However I can't get the fecking fork caps off, they unscrewed from the fork tubes easily but won't come off the preload adjuster rod :( applied what should be more than enough force but won't budge.

Yer using two spanners to hold one nut and loosen 'tother yeh?

Yes :) I'll post a pic later.

Life ain't always empty.

5th pic down. Are you holding the right nuts?

https://www.pnwriders.com/threads/sv1000-fork-seal-replacement.182012/

Yep that's exactly what I was doing, don't have a vice to hold the tube in though which makes it awkward. Think I'll need another pair of hands. Or just clamp the tube into the top and bottom yokes again...?

The blue preload adjuster has a circlip near the bottom of it - manual makes no mention of removing it so presumably it's ok to leave that in place while removing.

Great pics there though, much better than the SV forum I was looking at - or the copy of the workshop manual I have. I'll be bookmarking that :) Thanks.

Life ain't always empty.

This is where I'm at:

533485.jpg

Holding the dark grey nut steady in a 17mm spanner, I've turned the 22mm nut (fork cap) and it turns easily (on the preload adjuster, the blue threaded thing) until it reaches the end of its travel and then won't budge.

I've also tried turning the 14mm blue nut (preload adjuster) directly and get similar results.

The dark grey nut is quite a bit above the bottom of its travel, maybe I should try to free it by turning it clockwise (downwards) while gripping the rod in a vise grips? Need to be careful not to cause damage though.

It's not like I haven't rebuilt forks before, these ones seem more awkward than is reasonable :P

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

This is where I'm at:

533485.jpg

Holding the dark grey nut steady in a 17mm spanner, I've turned the 22mm nut (fork cap) and it turns easily (on the preload adjuster, the blue threaded thing) until it reaches the end of its travel and then won't budge.

I've also tried turning the 14mm blue nut (preload adjuster) directly and get similar results.

The dark grey nut is quite a bit above the bottom of its travel, maybe I should try to free it by turning it clockwise (downwards) while gripping the rod in a vise grips? Need to be careful not to cause damage though.

It's not like I haven't rebuilt forks before, these ones seem more awkward than is reasonable :P

Get a 17 and 14 and turn in opposite directions. 17 clock 14 anti clock.

That's exactly what I was doing.

Life ain't always empty.

The grey 17 nut is just a locknut. Looking from the top wind that one clockwise so it moves down. Use the 14 to hold the top of the blue bit or move anticlockwise.

Get a second pair of hands or use a Workmate® (preferably an old Irish-made one!)

• Advertisement

Have you done it yet?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You boys with the bikes taken apart and I'm here proud of my lever changes only taking me 30 minutes.. :pac:

I really love these V Trec levers. They cost €120 delivered.

GbS9ieu.jpg

K8xPrMz.jpg

Have you done it yet?? :pac:

I'll have a go tomorrow

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

I have made some more progress lately on my Honda CB550 build. I have a set of Showa forks and Brembo M50 brakes to update the front end of the bike. This combination of forks and brakes meant I couldn't find a front wheel hub that would be the correct width so I have machined one that will hopefully work. I have sent it off to be vapour blasted and after that I will get it built into a wheel and see if the spokes clear the brakes. Its definitely going to be very close. The radial brakes sit very close to each other so there is little room for the spoke pattern to sit in between. I have 5mm clearance in CAD but its difficult to know exactly how the spokes will sit when in place. This combination of brakes and forks is used on triumphs with cast wheels which dont require as much space. Fingers crossed it works. I havent started the yokes until I know there is enough clearance. If not I will have to increase the fork spacing and add shims under the brake discs which would be annoying as the fork spacing is already very wide.

Machining finished. I have sent it away to be vapour blasted so it will have a raw aluminium matte finish when its complete.

Wheel-finished-2800.jpg

I kind of wish I had made it a bit lighter than its turned out. Maybe in the future I will look at doing another when the project is finished. The bolt pattern of the discs are on quite a large diameter which means the spoke holes need to be on an even larger diameter which just makes hub quite big as well as the fork spacing making it quite wide.

Wheel-finishednew.jpg

The raw stock size at the start of the turning process. Its just made from 6082 T6 aluminium.

Turning1800.jpg

The flanges for the spokes are formed with a 3 degree taper. The wheel bearings are just normal press fit with a circlip on one side similar to a lot of bikes today.

Turning2800.jpg

The brake disc mounting is then machined. I have a set of nice titanium brake disc bolts off ebay to go on. Amazingly these are half the price of the Triumph steel ones.

milling-wheel-800.jpg

I turned a new spindle and wheel spacers to go with the hub

Finished-shaft-800.jpg

The shaft is 308 stainless and the spacers are just aluminium

shaft-machining800.jpg

A hexagon is machined then bolted to the shaft to add the hex head onto the end.

shaft-milling800.jpg

Just a picture showing the spindle, bearings, spacers and seals

Shaft-in-place800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emo72

Fukin 'el. That's some serious machine work.

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    I have made some more progress lately on my Honda CB550 build. I have a set of Showa forks and Brembo M50 brakes to update the front end of the bike. This combination of forks and brakes meant I couldn't find a front wheel hub that would be the correct width so I have machined one that will hopefully work. I have sent it off to be vapour blasted and after that I will get it built into a wheel and see if the spokes clear the brakes. Its definitely going to be very close. The radial brakes sit very close to each other so there is little room for the spoke pattern to sit in between. I have 5mm clearance in CAD but its difficult to know exactly how the spokes will sit when in place. This combination of brakes and forks is used on triumphs with cast wheels which dont require as much space. Fingers crossed it works. I havent started the yokes until I know there is enough clearance. If not I will have to increase the fork spacing and add shims under the brake discs which would be annoying as the fork spacing is already very wide.

Machining finished. I have sent it away to be vapour blasted so it will have a raw aluminium matte finish when its complete.

Wheel-finished-2800.jpg

I kind of wish I had made it a bit lighter than its turned out. Maybe in the future I will look at doing another when the project is finished. The bolt pattern of the discs are on quite a large diameter which means the spoke holes need to be on an even larger diameter which just makes hub quite big as well as the fork spacing making it quite wide.

Wheel-finishednew.jpg

The raw stock size at the start of the turning process. Its just made from 6082 T6 aluminium.

Turning1800.jpg

The flanges for the spokes are formed with a 3 degree taper. The wheel bearings are just normal press fit with a circlip on one side similar to a lot of bikes today.

Turning2800.jpg

The brake disc mounting is then machined. I have a set of nice titanium brake disc bolts off ebay to go on. Amazingly these are half the price of the Triumph steel ones.

milling-wheel-800.jpg

I turned a new spindle and wheel spacers to go with the hub

Finished-shaft-800.jpg

The shaft is 308 stainless and the spacers are just aluminium

shaft-machining800.jpg

A hexagon is machined then bolted to the shaft to add the hex head onto the end.

shaft-milling800.jpg

Just a picture showing the spindle, bearings, spacers and seals

Shaft-in-place800.jpg

Not that you need me telling you it but super work! Envious of your skill set and ability.;)
    From my experience of Brembo and spoke clearence on a 19 and 21 inch wheel is that it's as you describe. I've about 4mm spoke clearence on the 19 with conventional P4 30/34 and nil on the 21. Nor sure what constitutes a safe clearence but I wouldnt want it less.
    That hub assembly is beautiful:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

****, I'm here looking at second hand hubs and custom ones from europe for the DR650,

Do you have that machining set up yourself, or is it a work one?

The grey 17 nut is just a locknut. Looking from the top wind that one clockwise so it moves down. Use the 14 to hold the top of the blue bit or move anticlockwise.

Get a second pair of hands or use a Workmate® (preferably an old Irish-made one!)

Well I managed it. Just needed to use a big adjustable wrench on the 17mm nut (longer than my 17mm spanner, and a tigher fit!) and I was able to undo it.

Got the cartridge out on one side just by unscrewing the bottom bolt (loosened previously while still on the bike), on the other side I had to put the spring and fork cap back in temporarily to get the bolt undone.

Then the fun bit - slide-hammering the fork seals out :)

So it's all disassembled now. I have new bushes, spring clips etc. as well as new seals to go in. I figured the old spring clips would be rusted due to water getting under the dust seals, and they were. Next step - clean and paint the fork sliders...

533800.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

goblin59 wrote: »
    ****, I'm here looking at second hand hubs and custom ones from europe for the DR650,

Do you have that machining set up yourself, or is it a work one?

Its home stuff. The machines are just hobby level equipment so it takes a long time to do stuff but if you are patient you can turn out parts just as good as most machine shops and its what I enjoy the most when it comes to bikes. Hope you find the hub you are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    Its home stuff. The machines are just hobby level equipment so it takes a long time to do stuff but if you are patient you can turn out parts just as good as most machine shops and its what I enjoy the most when it comes to bikes. Hope you find the hub you are looking for.

I'd love to be able to do it. We don't have the space for that kind of machine here though unfortunately.

I'm hoping to get hubs for the DR650se, going to do a 17x4" rear wheel for it

Advertisement