Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran kilkenny back for Dubs

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Why are people responding to this fella? Isn't it very obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

ProudDub, why is it ridiculous??

take Paul Curran, a great player for the Dubs. his father was from Meath, a good footballer himself. He basically gave his son to Dublin GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

freddiek wrote: »
    the Dubs are lucky to have him. Hasn't a drop of dublin blood in him

"Little known Ciarán Kilkenny fact here: he is a relation of one of Galway's famous 'Terrible Twins' Seán Purcell on his mother's side, so he didn't exactly lick the football prowess off the stones either.

You don't have to climb the family tree to find his small ball pedigree either, though. Kilkenny is a cousin of Tipp hurler Gearóid Ryan and has two other cousins on the Galway camogie team"

His Father played Hurling for Kevins in Dublin and played SENIOR Hurling for Dublin..Does this count ? Probably not ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

freddiek wrote:
    ProudDub, I think it gives the Dublin county teams an unfair advantage. and they have enough advantages as it is

Ah yes, us Dubs have loads of advantages. That explains why we last won a Hurling All-Ireland a mere 75 years ago, and a massive haul of 3 football All-Irelands in the last 30 years. No other county comes close to such a glowing record of achievement. Concrete evidence to be certain, of Dublin's advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

IBTL ... you made a similar statement regarding the number of 1st generation Dubs on the Dublin hurling team - but now you have a counter argument. You propose that the continued success of the Dublin footballers is as a result of parents "giving" their kids to Dublin GAA, then on the other hand the likes of Niall Corcoran & Ryan O'Dwyer .. lets be honest non-Dubs were in part responsible for giving Dublin hurling its first success in over 50 years... you can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ProudDub, why is it ridiculous??

take Paul Curran, a great player for the Dubs. his father was from Meath, a good footballer himself. He basically gave his son to Dublin GAA

Paul Curran is a human being, not a dog. No one "gave" him to anyone, or anything. He was born and brought up in Dublin, so that's where he played his club and county football. End of story.

Flukey wrote: »
    Ah yes, us Dubs have loads of advantages. That explains why we last won a Hurling All-Ireland a mere 75 years ago, and a massive haul of 3 football All-Irelands in the last 30 years. No other county comes close to such a glowing record of achievement. Concrete evidence to be certain, of Dublin's advantages.

the Dubs may have underachieved in terms of titles, but you can't deny during that time they had advantages which they still enjoy

1) travelling/commuting. Problem for rural teams, not the Dubs
    2) guaranteed home fixtures in the Championship
    3) better facilities

theres a few off the top of my head

If we eliminated all non-pure bloods from all counties, the game would be a lot poorer. We'd also have never got Micheál O'Muircheartaigh's famous comment about Seán Óg Ó hAilpín.

Flukey, you probably mean Dublin would be a lot poorer. they are the big beneficiaries of people moving between counties, in GAA terms

the Dubs may have underachieved in terms of titles, but you can't deny during that time they had advantages which they still enjoy

1) travelling/commuting. Problem for rural teams, not the Dubs
    2) guaranteed home fixtures in the Championship
    3) better facilities

theres a few off the top of my head

1. Many Dublin players and fans do not live in Dublin. This is an old chestnut that seems to think that the entire population of Dublin lives 10 minutes walk from Croke Park. There are parts of Meath, Wicklow and Kildare closer to Croke Park than parts of Dublin. We are so often told, even in this thread, that Dublin is full of people from other counties, so lots of the fans of those other counties live close to Croke Park. Dublin also has rural parts that are not so easy to get to. Other counties have large cities and towns that are easier to get around than rural parts of Dublin.

2. It is a long time since Dublin got a home championship match. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground no matter what people like to think. Many counties do better in Croke Park than Dublin and love playing there, and would even prefer to play Dublin there than in another venue. Given our record there, Croke Park is definitely of no advantage.

3. Other counties have just as good facilities as Dublin. There are good and bad facilities in all 32 counties. Dublin is no different.

So no advantages there. Try again.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote: »
    If we eliminated all non-pure bloods from all counties, the game would be a lot poorer. .....

Mudbloods ... just look what happened Hogwarts when they let that Hermione Granger in ... fackin pandemonium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Great to see that your chip on your shoulder has followed you back from ResDubs as well :rolleyes:

Ha Ha I got confused about what site I was on there.

Flukey, you probably mean Dublin would be a lot poorer. they are the big beneficiaries of people moving between counties, in GAA terms

You keep saying we have advantages and benefits, yet you have been unable to give us any. You described our lack of trophies as underachieving. So we get some unspecified mysterious benefits and advantages, but there has been no benefit or advantage to us because of them and we've done even worse than we should have, not better. If you go to court you usually have to have a case. It looks very bad when you start to argue against the arguments you've put up yourself. So we are still waiting for you to give us any advantages or benefits we have and any benefit or advantage that have accrued to us as a result of them. We'll be waiting, because there are none in both instances. Come back when you have some evidence, like Dublin achieving the All-Ireland Hurling and Football double for the 17th year in succession. See you in 16 years - I doubt.

flukey, I couldn't bring myself to respond to your 15:22 post. I'm still laughing to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Am I the only person who finds freddiek's posts on the last few pages downright creepy?

I am laughing at some of yours Freddiek. You are making my case better than I can. Saying we've not taken advantage because we're underachievers is a great one. It's a bit like saying one-legged people have an advantage in walking because they only need to use energy for one leg and so in reality they move faster than two legged people, even though two legged people still go faster anyway.

what do u say to a man who maintains, despite Dublin winning all but 1 of the last 9 or 10 leinster titles, they have no advantage at all from playing the games in Croke Park? None!!

Can I have some of what you're smokin, Flukey?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Twelve years on this website, and I do believe this is the first time I've used the "Add to Ignore List" function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, and a lot of Kerry people move to Cork to get jobs in the big city. A lot of Mayo people would do the same with Galway City. Same with Clare people living in Limerick City. Are you also going to tell their kids that they are not allowed play for the county that they were born in too, as it gives them an unfair advantage? What a ridiculous suggestion.

The suggestion is fantastic. Andy Moran, Pearce Hanley, Brian Menton and Conor Cox all being forced to represent their ancestor home of Roscommon.

100% behind this one. Let's do it.

BTW slightly OT... but thought that it was a great sight watching the 3 African lads representing Westmeath yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

DoctaDee wrote: »
    BTW slightly OT... but thought that it was a great sight watching the 3 African lads representing Westmeath yesterday.

Agree..All from different Clubs

DoctaDee wrote: »

Jim Gavin is lookin to poach them :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Threads way too far off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement