Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran kilkenny back for Dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

lala88 wrote: »
    Yes long ago. However i see you're still living off it almost 2 years on, then again i suppose you have to seeing as its going to be a long wait before Dublin win anything again

I don't think so, actually I know so.Your agenda against Ciaran Kilkenny is based purely on the fact that he is a Dublin GAA prospect. Afterall you continuously mention "overhyped Dublin player".I guess its the only way you can vent.

Also, it is very naive to suggest we won't win anything for years.Lots of talent coming through here in Dublin.We have All Ireland Senior Championship winners in addition to a whole bunch of under 21 and minor All Ireland Championship winners (Ciaran Kilkenny namely who you haven't seen play much but seem to writeoff when plenty of posters from around the country have praised).

Also don't forget Sigerson Cup winners and plenty of club players from Kilmacud Crokes and St Vincents who have won Club All Ireland Championships in the last 5-6 years and currently Ballymun Kickhams who have players like James McCarthy,Dean Rock,James Burke,Ted Furman and Alan Hubbard. That is an indication of the talent coming back and coming up through the ranks.

We'll wait and see what happens.You worry about Kerry like a good lad and I don't use the word worry lightly because if the last 3 years suggest anything, Kerry are going back and it does not look like the seasoned veterans are going to be replaced by talent equal or greater than them.

PS you make jibes about Dublin going 16 years without winning Sam. I guess you weren't a Kerry GAA fan between 1986 and 1997? Were you even conceived then?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Tadhg Kennelly in todays Indo...

""Not everyone is equipped to do it. It takes a certain character and a certain mindset and the best footballers don't always have that. It takes something else.

"There was some negative press about Ciaran's decision initially over here – the fact that he was denying another international rookie a place and that Hawthorn can't sign anyone else now"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

freddiek wrote: »
    Tadhg Kennelly in todays Indo...

""Not everyone is equipped to do it. It takes a certain character and a certain mindset and the best footballers don't always have that. It takes something else.

"There was some negative press about Ciaran's decision initially over here – the fact that he was denying another international rookie a place and that Hawthorn can't sign anyone else now"

you're being a bit selective there, for some reason.

In the article he says the following:
    "It was brave in the first place to go out and brave to make a decision like it (to come back). Ciaran sensed it wasn't for him and he made a quick decision. He didn't go on against his will. Unless you are with these guys around the clock, you will never really know."

"In some ways, you expect it. It's a big thing to uproot and travel to the other side of the world," he said.

Then the bit you quoted, and then
    "That's the honesty we like to think we bring to it. We set out the pitfalls. It's nothing to do with their talent, but because of what's involved in leaving home," he said.

Kennelly said the feedback from Hawthorn about Kilkenny during his six-week stint there was very positive: "I spoke to Luke Hodge, the Hawthorn captain, and he was convinced Ciaran would have played first-team AFL this season, his first. Not many have ever done that.
    "They felt he had that potential and were obviously very impressed with what he did in his six weeks there. I have no doubt he would have made it.

We see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm sure ciaran Kilkenny gives two ****es about what a few people on an Internet forum think of him or his decision. Respect him for wanting to come home the ****ing neck on some here criticising him FFS he is still a young lad and probably was overcome with homesickness...

Welcome back ciaran...

And the rotten eggs are clear to see with the hate in their posts trying to vent anti Dublin anti ciaran Kilkenny tripe-- shame on you..

He will be an issue likes of Kildare and Meath are gonna have to try getting on top of so he doesn't do too much damage lol

More luck to him

We see what you did there.[/QUOTE]

whats clear from Kennellys comments is that Kilkenny shafted Hawthorn and damaged their prospects for the season by his actions

Kennelly would be blasted by the media over here if he criticised Kilkenny. I doubt he'd be so soft on him if he was talking to Australian media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

We see what you did there.

This is the same poster who has been given an infraction for posting anti-Dublin comments before (against Anthony Daly of all people), take no notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I for one cannot wait to see Kilkenny and Costello on the same team. I think their skills set complement each others perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

I for one cannot wait to see Kilkenny and Costello on the same team. I think their skills set complement each others perfectly.

Weren't they both on both Dublin minor teams in 2011.

Both great prospects. Costello is probably a little light yet to move up to the senior team, and will probably line out for the under 21's this year. I haven't seen any of the O'Byrne Cup matches yet, but don't think he has played for them.

Saw CK training last night with Castleknock. Looking forward to the All Ireland Junior Semi Final on Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    This is the same poster who has been given an infraction for posting anti-Dublin comments before (against Anthony Daly of all people), take no notice.

maybe freddiek will hop over to castleknock some evening and read out his posts to kilkenny.

then again, its very likely he wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Past30Now wrote: »

Weren't they both on both Dublin minor teams in 2011.

Both great prospects. Costello is probably a little light yet to move up to the senior team, and will probably line out for the under 21's this year. I haven't seen any of the O'Byrne Cup matches yet, but don't think he has played for them.

Saw CK training last night with Castleknock. Looking forward to the All Ireland Junior Semi Final on Sunday week.
    True. Im jumping the gun way to quickly. Costello still has a bit of growing to do and CK also needs a bit of top flight experience.

• Advertisement

maybe freddiek will hop over to castleknock some evening and read out his posts to kilkenny.

then again, its very likely he wont.

Why would he??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He came home for Christmas and was realised how much he missed his family and his home country, it's not exactly unheard of for a 19 year old lad, especially someone who's got such a love for not only the GAA, but he's also fluent in Irish and loves the country. He's also very close to his family and has a girlfriend etc, how many times have young lads gone off on trials to England and the likes but come home straight away? Sure it was a short journey, but he was thousands of miles away from home in a strange country, trying to play a game that's unfamiliar without any family or close friends around him.

As for the negative comments, I've personally never seen a standout player like himself who could not only dominate in Minor, but also come on to a Senior panel and score 4 points in the All-Ireland Semi Final against a strong Mayo side. He'll be a key member of the Castleknock squad in their Junior final too.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    He came home for Christmas and was realised how much he missed his family and his home country, it's not exactly unheard of for a 19 year old lad, especially someone who's got such a love for not only the GAA, but he's also fluent in Irish and loves the country. He's also very close to his family and has a girlfriend etc, how many times have young lads gone off on trials to England and the likes but come home straight away? Sure it was a short journey, but he was thousands of miles away from home in a strange country, trying to play a game that's unfamiliar without any family or close friends around him.

As for the negative comments, I've personally never seen a standout player like himself who could not only dominate in Minor, but also come on to a Senior panel and score 4 points in the All-Ireland Semi Final against a strong Mayo side. He'll be a key member of the Castleknock squad in their Junior final too.
    Was sure he scored 3 against mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Disappointed to see Kilkenny take the easy way out to be honest. This was a fantastic opportunity to further himself and experience a different culture, but like many Irish people he ran home at the first opportunity. At least men like Tadhg Kennelly, Colm Begley, Zach Touhy all made an effort out there, this is just slightly embarrassing, offset somewhat by a well written statement put together for him.

Best of luck to him, but its a shame to see him toss away a great opportunity after talking the talk for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Disappointed to see Kilkenny take the easy way out to be honest. This was a fantastic opportunity to further himself and experience a different culture, but like many Irish people he ran home at the first opportunity. At least men like Tadhg Kennelly, Colm Begley, Zach Touhy all made an effort out there, this is just slightly embarrassing, offset somewhat by a well written statement put together for him.

Best of luck to him, but its a shame to see him toss away a great opportunity after talking the talk for so long.

Obvious troll is obvious :rolleyes: You need a new hobby!

Obvious troll is obvious :rolleyes: You need a new hobby!
    My opinion is as valid and worthy as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

My opinion is as valid and worthy as yours.

valid yes,worthy no.

valid yes,worthy no.
    I disagree.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was sure he scored 3 against mayo

He did score 3, not 4.

Yet another day of obvious trolling here I'm giving up on this forum I swear what's it gonna take for a mod to step in??

Don't rise to it lads.

On Kilkenny the lad was right to return home if he wasn't gonna be happy he wouldn't be giving hawthorns his best effort imo

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    He did score 3, not 4.

Thanks yop I knew I was right on that one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

FFS, you seem to want to rile ever post you fire up.

The lad is 19 years of age, he as MANY others who even head off to college down the road and move out of home, missed his family and friends. He isn't embarrassing, its sad for HIM that it didn't work out as he MAY have had a good standard of living out there etc, but there is more to life than money.

What other Irish people do you know "ran home" ? He is more the man for making a decision like he did after a short period of time, then again if he had to listen to some of the BS from keyboard warriors like some on here it would only make him laugh.
    The lad is 19 years of age, give him a break, it reminds me of the calls to his home and the verbal abuse that young Kevin Keane got after the AI final, some people are just so fked up.

Thanks yop I knew I was right on that one

It makes a change :p**I'm kidding**

yop wrote: »
    FFS, you seem to want to rile ever post you fire up.

The lad is 19 years of age, he as MANY others who even head off to college down the road and move out of home, missed his family and friends. He isn't embarrassing, its sad for HIM that it didn't work out as he MAY have had a good standard of living out there etc, but there is more to life than money.

What other Irish people do you know "ran home" ? He is more the man for making a decision like he did after a short period of time, then again if he had to listen to some of the BS from keyboard warriors like some on here it would only make him laugh.

The lad is 19 years of age, give him a break, it reminds me of the calls to his home and the verbal abuse that young Kevin Keane got after the AI final, some people are just so fked up.
    I personally dont believe he gave it enough of a chance. But again, thats a personal opinion and isn't that what these forums are for,opinions? Its not offensive, its not trolling, its not abusive, its just an opinion.

I found it odd that on his twitter over Christmas he had been making reference to the bad Irish weather and how much he missed the sun in Australia. It just all seemed a bit off. Its a shame he chose to pack it in, because it was a wonderful opportunity for the lad. But its his decision and he'll live with it. Just seems others gave it a better chance, he played for Castleknock in November and was back for Christmas, seems a short stint for what its worth.

I made no reference to Kevin Keane, what abuse are you speaking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Will he be on Daly's panel?
    For either Limerick or Dublin, league is essential for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Will he be on Daly's panel?
    For either Limerick or Dublin, league is essential for them.

Can't see him being a dual player at senior level, he'll be a footballer I reckon. Shame for the hurlers but seems to be the way that things are going at the moment (Lowndes and Costello also).

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Great to see him back, great talent and I'm sure he will give my county plenty of trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I personally dont believe he gave it enough of a chance. But again, thats a personal opinion and isn't that what these forums are for,opinions? Its not offensive, its not trolling, its not abusive, its just an opinion.

I found it odd that on his twitter over Christmas he had been making reference to the bad Irish weather and how much he missed the sun in Australia. It just all seemed a bit off. Its a shame he chose to pack it in, because it was a wonderful opportunity for the lad. But its his decision and he'll live with it. Just seems others gave it a better chance, he played for Castleknock in November and was back for Christmas, seems a short stint for what its worth.

I made no reference to Kevin Keane, what abuse are you speaking of?

Maybe they were all just too dam professional over there

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/doping-widespread-australian-sport-786392-Feb2013/

listermint wrote: »
    Maybe they were all just too dam professional over there

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/doping-widespread-australian-sport-786392-Feb2013/
    You think?

• Advertisement

The Dub hurlers won a Leinster without Ciaran Kilkenny.

Perhaps a wise decision to focus on football. May not have got in the hurling team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement