Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran kilkenny back for Dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

gerire wrote: »
    Great to see him back. Would love to see him back in blue in both codes but just can't see it happening. He is going to have too many teams pulling out of him. Assuming he goes into college on a scholarship straight away.
    College freshers and #sigerson team
    College freshers and Fitzgibbon team
    Club u21 hurling and football
    Club adult hurling and football
    Intercounty u21 and senior football

I honestly see coming home as the easy option. He's going to be a busy lad

given what happened to the dual players in the dublin minor set up i dont think he will be playing hurling. there is way too much burn out.

as for college, he wont be in any college team till at least next season as its too late now i would imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

lala88 wrote: »
    In the time he went over to now how many games would he have played? How much training would he have done with them? Not too much i would think. Now explain how he did try it?

other than a full pre season for the last 3 months, which is probably tougher than any training he has ever done in his life, in the middle of summer in Australia, with a training camp in northern Queensland in over 35 degree heat, you are right, he didnt do much at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

The media will be happy about this too as they now have another Dublin player to hype up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The media will be happy about this too as they now have another Dublin player to hype up

Non-Dublin people will be happy too, something more to whinge and complain about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thread cleaned up, some "normal" posts might have been deleted in the clean up.

Art Foley perma-banned from GAA also (even though its a closed account).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

So just completely ignore the points that posters here have made in response to your points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Clareman wrote: »
    Art Foley perma-banned from GAA also (even though its a closed account).

cant we not keep him as a pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ah its ok lala shur its only a bandwagon and will fade away :rolleyes:

At least Art Foley knew he was trolling and was trying to get a response, I'm genuinely worried about your well being!

Kilkenny is a fantastic prospect in both codes and has a huge future ahead of him, this is great news for both he's club and Dublin. That is also an excellent statement and very honest fair play to him, can't have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

gerire wrote: »
    Great to see him back. Would love to see him back in blue in both codes but just can't see it happening. He is going to have too many teams pulling out of him. Assuming he goes into college on a scholarship straight away.
    College freshers and #sigerson team
    College freshers and Fitzgibbon team
    Club u21 hurling and football
    Club adult hurling and football
    Intercounty u21 and senior football

I honestly see coming home as the easy option. He's going to be a busy lad

Freshers can't play Sigerson or Fitzgibbon anymore, and he certainly won't be entering College in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

freddiek wrote: »
    what a massive bottle-job from him. got a lifetime opportunity that thousands of his peers would have killed for. packs it in after a few weeks

his opponents will rib him about this on the pitch too

Homesickness can be a terrible thing. It really is a case of just battling through that first 6 months to a year and you usually settle in fine after that but it's not an easy thing to cope with.

• Advertisement

LeftBlank wrote: »
    So just completely ignore the points that posters here have made in response to your points?

Ok then if he's as good as he's made out to be why did he quit? And yes he did quit? Only a few months ago he was all talk about how he's wanted to be a pro gets his chance and doesn't take it

I think it might be better if he played with the hurlers instead, might win more then one game this year...

Ok then if he's as good as he's made out to be why did he quit? And yes he did quit? Only a few months ago he was all talk about how he's wanted to be a pro gets his chance and doesn't take it

I think it might be better if he played with the hurlers instead, might win more then one game this year...

He was homesick! Can you not get that???

“As much as I enjoyed the lifestyle of a professional Aussie Rules player and
    relished the challenge of achieving in a different code, I realised that it would
    never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from
    togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live...

I’ve come to realise also that although I enjoy the game of Australian Rules
    football, it could never replace the satisfaction I get from the round ball or a
    sliotar. Sport has always been something I did for enjoyment and I have found
    that it’s not something I can do merely because it’s my job. The passion I feel for
    hurling and football is not transferrable to any other sport and seeing my
    neighbours and team mates happy when we do well is reward enough.“

What a fantastic quote for the GAA, yet people are banging on about him being a failure and this, that and the other.

Ah its ok lala shur its only a bandwagon and will fade away :rolleyes:

At least Art Foley knew he was trolling and was trying to get a response, I'm genuinely worried about your well being!

Kilkenny is a fantastic prospect in both codes and has a huge future ahead of him, this is great news for both he's club and Dublin. That is also an excellent statement and very honest fair play to him, can't have been easy.

No thats your precious Rugby you're thinking off there, like i said not long now before you will be the only one in Thomond park

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    He was homesick! Can you not get that???

“As much as I enjoyed the lifestyle of a professional Aussie Rules player and
    relished the challenge of achieving in a different code, I realised that it would
    never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from
    togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live...

I’ve come to realise also that although I enjoy the game of Australian Rules
    football, it could never replace the satisfaction I get from the round ball or a
    sliotar. Sport has always been something I did for enjoyment and I have found
    that it’s not something I can do merely because it’s my job. The passion I feel for
    hurling and football is not transferrable to any other sport and seeing my
    neighbours and team mates happy when we do well is reward enough.“

What a fantastic quote for the GAA, yet people are banging on about him being a failure and this, that and the other.

Most players who go over say they were homesick but gave it a go for a year at least. Its funny plenty of others have come home yet no media fan fair about them yet when its a Dublin player its a different story..

Most players who go over say they were homesick but gave it a go for a year at least. Its funny plenty of others have come home yet no media fan fair about them yet when its a Dublin player its a different story..

Marty Clarke got plenty of publicity when he came back, and rightly so. But of course the media bias is what is making this a big story. Nothing to do with the fact that he is probably the most exciting prospect Dublin have had in a long time.

I honestly don't know what your problem with Ciaran Kilkenny is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stop the bickering or I'll start banning more people (and I really don't like banning people).

Attack the post, not the poster, if you have a problem with a post, argue against it, ignore it or report it, don't go after the poster, if you have a problem with a poster add them to your ignore list or try to discuss it with them over PM.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Marty Clarke got plenty of publicity when he came back, and rightly so. But of course the media bias is what is making this a big story. Nothing to do with the fact that he is probably the most exciting prospect Dublin have had in a long time.

I honestly don't know what your problem with Ciaran Kilkenny is.

My main problem is he's just another over hyped Dublin player. Only seeen him play and few times and dont see the fuss about him really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

My main problem is he's just another over hyped Dublin player. Only seeen him play and few times and dont see the fuss about him really

Any young talented player from the capital will be hyped up however, Ciaran Kilkenny has lived up to the hype thus far.. top scorer in minor,U21 football championships didn't look out of place when he made his senior championship debut and he's also a fine hurler.

That type of talent in dual codes is rare any county in Ireland would love to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Delighted to see Ciaran kilkenny back - fair play to him to go to Australia try the lifestyle etc and when it didn't suit him come back - classy statement too. At least he can have no regrets - he tried it, it wasn't for him so he came back to the sport he loves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I was disappointed to see the GAA lose such a great talent but I am delighted to see hiom back.He is one ofthe best young footballers I have seen and has been oustanding at minor and u-21 level, the more hype he gets the better as it is all deserved and it good publicity for the GAA.It shows how classy a player he is that despite being fully up to the pace of senior football in last years semi final againt Mayo he still managed to score 3 points from play, just think how good he will be when he gets fully up to pace at senior level.I hope he plays both codes as it is great to see dual players but I would think he will be more successful at football he seems a complete natural talent and is pure class already.

It must be etremely difficult for any GAA player to make it over in Australia.The are attempting to play a sport they have never played before and make a professional career out of it.Almost nobody would be able to make such a big switch and yet a few players have done well over there.People who make it at professional sport have dreamed of playing professionally in that sport and have loved and played their sport from a young age, GAA players are attempting to convert to a sport they have had zero exposure to and it isnt surprising that most fail to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Glad he is back after giving it a lash. Hope he can get back up to speed now and make an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Oh great input and analysis there.We should call you lula.

Still not over 18th September 2011? Didn't think so.

so you'd prefer to slate and castigate a 19 year old who went to Australia to try a game he never played before, who then didnt warm to it and wanted to come back home without any reasoning other that in your opinion of the few times you have seen this 19 year old play you think he is overhyped. Some great rational thinking right there.

Shame he didnt make it, good for Dublin obviously, but at least he went and gave it a try, even if it was only for a short time. He's not the only person I have heard of who emigrated to Australia to come back home after a couple of months, its not always suited to every one who goes there.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet either, but fair play to him on releasing a very well put together press release too. Seems like he has his head well screwed on, and will certainly need it as he could well have 15 years at top level intercounty action playing for the most media scrutinised team in the country.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Oh great input and analysis there.We should call you lula.

Still not over 18th September 2011? Didn't think so.

Yes long ago. However i see you're still living off it almost 2 years on, then again i suppose you have to seeing as its going to be a long wait before Dublin win anything again

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Yes long ago. However i see you're still living off it almost 2 years on, then again i suppose you have to seeing as its going to be a long wait before Dublin win anything again

Haha the sweet side of the lemon is laughing at you and your posts. Is lala name or location?

Haha the sweet side of the lemon is laughing at you and your posts. Is lala name or location?

Is it not true? Kerry people got over that a long time ago yer the Dubs are still talking about it. What was the excuse for last year? Lot of Dubs were not only saying but guaranteeing they would win again, then again i suppose there luck had to run out some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

**** you all this is kildares year :D :rolleyes:

great to see ciaran kilkenny back. good footballer will be a great addition for jim gavin...

Is it not true? Kerry people got over that a long time ago yer the Dubs are still talking about it. What was the excuse for last year? Lot of Dubs were not only saying but guaranteeing they would win again, then again i suppose there luck had to run out some time...

are you going to continually keep trotting out nonsense and not respond when you are pulled up on it?

what Dubs were guaranteeing they would win again?

bruschi wrote: »
    are you going to continually keep trotting out nonsense and not respond when you are pulled up on it?

what Dubs were guaranteeing they would win again?

Seen plenty. But i suppose they werent Dubs at all they were all the non Dubs hyping them up? The ones we only hear about when they lose?

• Advertisement

So who will he the next? Tomas Quinn? Mark Vaughan? Or many another one of the Dubs told us were the next big thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement