Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran kilkenny back for Dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Vanolder wrote: »
    Artfoley is a creep.... I can't get into here but offline he had been in.plenty of bother with the law. He used to post on TFK also but his idiocy never gained the momentum it did on AFR.

Ignore all posts by this man on GAA- as a big rugby fan, he detests everything about GAA.

he will be with the rest at leinster house so on saturday with his UJ :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Kilkenny wants to emulate Kennelly

03 October 2012

Dublin's Ciaran Kilkenny
    New Hawthorn recruit Ciaran Kilkenny is determined to follow in the footsteps of Tadhg Kennelly by winning an AFL Premiership medal.

The gifted 19-year-old Castleknock clubman will join the AFL club on an international rookie contract next month after they beat Melbourne rivals Carlton for his signature.

"One of the reasons I picked Hawthorn was they've aspirations of winning Grand Finals and that's something I'd like, to follow in the footsteps of Tadhg Kennelly," the Dublin All-Ireland U21 winner is quoted as saying in The Irish Daily Star.

"It was 50/50 because I have brilliant opportunities in Ireland. But ever since I was 14, I looked at this Australian Rules. I aspired to be a professional. I just wanted to have no regrets. It was a brilliant opportunity and I just wanted to test myself as an athlete mentally and physically."

Didn't say it was his dream but aspired to play it since he was 14. Are dreaming and aspiring one of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

lala88 wrote: »
    Kilkenny wants to emulate Kennelly

03 October 2012

Dublin's Ciaran Kilkenny
    New Hawthorn recruit Ciaran Kilkenny is determined to follow in the footsteps of Tadhg Kennelly by winning an AFL Premiership medal.

The gifted 19-year-old Castleknock clubman will join the AFL club on an international rookie contract next month after they beat Melbourne rivals Carlton for his signature.

"One of the reasons I picked Hawthorn was they've aspirations of winning Grand Finals and that's something I'd like, to follow in the footsteps of Tadhg Kennelly," the Dublin All-Ireland U21 winner is quoted as saying in The Irish Daily Star.

"It was 50/50 because I have brilliant opportunities in Ireland. But ever since I was 14, I looked at this Australian Rules. I aspired to be a professional. I just wanted to have no regrets. It was a brilliant opportunity and I just wanted to test myself as an athlete mentally and physically."

Didn't say it was his dream but aspired to play it since he was 14. Are dreaming and aspiring one of the same?

It's semantics, but I'm not sure the point that you are trying to get at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

No he doesn't. I had an inkling he was trolling on the GAA marketing thread, where he did this exact thing, so I had a look at his other posts. He's also clearly trolling on the "Why do people love to hate the GAA" thread. He's posing as a GAA fan but criticising it on all of those threads. Criticism isn't a bad thing, but when he's quite obviously going out of his way to instigate fights, it becomes tiresome very quickly. Old tactic from An Fear Rua. Incidentally, Art Foley was the name of a contributor to that site, right up until when it was shut down because the place was overrun with trolls.

That's some really good detective work.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It's semantics, but I'm not sure the point that you are trying to get at?

Well only a few months ago he was all talk about how he was going to make it and how without even giving it a try he's back just a bit strange

• Advertisement

Well only a few months ago he was all talk about how he was going to make it and how without even giving it a try he's back just a bit strange

Did you read the statement? He missed Ireland, simple. Same reason I came home from Australia, and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

maybe he is just homesick and is lucky to be able to get back and go to college? lots of others do. sure, if a plumber goes to oz and it doesnt work out for him it'll hardly make the media, but in all respects this is essentially the same.

I dont understand the people on here having a go at someone who tired something but it didnt work out. Thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Jaysus, how may promising teens come home from the UK each year after going over on soccer contracts, but homesickness gets the better of them? And thats only 2 hours away. He went, (probably) came home for Christmas and realised the grass isn't always greener.

Welcome back to him, can't wait to see him this year in either code

maybe he is just homesick and is lucky to be able to get back and go to college? lots of others do. sure, if a plumber goes to oz and it doesnt work out for him it'll hardly make the media, but in all respects this is essentially the same.

I dont understand the people on here having a go at someone who tired something but it didnt work out. Thats life.

But he didnt try it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

squrm wrote: »

Jaysus, how may promising teens come home from the UK each year after going over on soccer contracts, but homesickness gets the better of them? And thats only 2 hours away. He went, (probably) came home for Christmas and realised the grass isn't always greener.

Welcome back to him, can't wait to see him this year in either code

Correct. Let him do what he wants. Fair play to him. Don't see Shane Supple getting stick for coming home from England because of homesickness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 art foley

What percentage of Australians that play Aussie Rules make it as professionals? Far less than 5% anyway.

It's amazing to think that anyone from Ireland who has never played Aussie Rules can go over at the age of 18 and become a professional at a sport they've never played.

You mention a 95% 'flop' rate as if it's a bad thing but I think a 5% success rate is phenomenal.

not when you compare it to the rugby league players

and the switch from rugby league would be a lot harder

You mention a 95% 'flop' rate as if it's a bad thing but I think a 5% success rate is phenomenal.

Important to note that this particular "statistic" was plucked completely out of the sky (or elsewhere, I won't be rude) in order to fit in with the art foley agenda, and is nowhere near accurate.

art foley wrote: »

How many Rugby League players have made the switch to AFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

missed his mammy, the aussie rules is too tough for jackeens im afraid

Jim Stynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

art foley wrote: »

I wasn't aware that Irish rugby league players made the switch to Aussie Rules, fair play to them.

But he didnt try it at all

i know, isnt it terrible father!!! Just terrible!!
    missed his mammy, the aussie rules is too tough for jackeens im afraid

yes, jackeens have ever made it in aussie rules as far as i understand.

I like you too.

This forum is full of fun characters these days, and its only January.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Homesick ! nothing to do with ability...

i know, isnt it terrible father!!! Just terrible!!

yes, jackeens have ever made it in aussie rules as far as i understand.

I like you too.

This forum is full of fun characters these days, and its only January.

You just said he tried but he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The anti GAA element thats invaded the forum today convieniently ignore all the GAA players that have made it other professional sports like soccer (which has a much bigger pool to chose from than AFL) but sure why bring up facts when you can have a good troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

You just said he tried but he didn't

Soo he spent the couple of months out there, what, sunbathing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

the Australians must be pissed off. they made a big fuss of him and he has treated them like total mugs

this might influence their future recruitment here and professional sports-people like those involved in AR deserve better than the unprofessional attitude shown to it by Kilkenny

squrm wrote: »
    Soo he spent the couple of months out there, what, sunbathing?

Cant have played too much with he was there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whats strange about it ?

Have you ever tried something and not liked nor enjoyed it ? and changed your mind?

Lets face it Aussie Rules isnt the golden ticket thats been made out like some posters are making it out to be.

It didnt suit the lad. His statement says it all.

End thread.

listermint wrote: »
    Whats strange about it ?

Have you ever tried something and not liked nor enjoyed it ? and changed your mind?

Lets face it Aussie Rules isnt the golden ticket thats been made out like some posters are making it out to be.

It didnt suit the lad. His statement says it all.

End thread.

Once again he didn't try it as all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great news for the Dubs and GAA too that the AFL wont steal every bright talent away.

Once again he didn't try it as all

Explain how he didnt try it.

In text please.

listermint wrote: »
    Explain how he didnt try it.

In text please.

In the time he went over to now how many games would he have played? How much training would he have done with them? Not too much i would think. Now explain how he did try it?

In the time he went over to now how many games would he have played? How much training would he have done with them? Not too much i would think. Now explain how he did try it?

Great answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Great to see him back. Would love to see him back in blue in both codes but just can't see it happening. He is going to have too many teams pulling out of him. Assuming he goes into college on a scholarship straight away.
    College freshers and #sigerson team
    College freshers and Fitzgibbon team
    Club u21 hurling and football
    Club adult hurling and football
    Intercounty u21 and senior football

I honestly see coming home as the easy option. He's going to be a busy lad

• Advertisement

so.... you dont actually know what you are talking about???

he was signed up on a professional contract and was training in accordance with whatever requiremnent his employer had him on.

Many GAA lads who ahve gone there have commented on how the training as a professional sportsman is totally different to being an amatuer as in the GAA. You often hear this bull from the GAA media that our top senior intercounty players are as good as professionals but it is patient bollocks.

Everything is regimented from the moment they get up in the day to when they go to bed, and at what time. All their food is monitered, they either do cardio training or game specific or weight gain training each day. Then - as a 19 year old - he would have the extra pressure of learning how to actually play the game from scratch at the top level. It would be like sending a lad from the United Churches League to have a go in Everton.

To say he didnt try afte him being over there are a few months is very unfair. If he gave up after a week or two, fair enough. But he didnt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement