Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭COH

whippet wrote: »
    cheers ... if only my other lifts would follow suit !! Deads have stalled again and bench is just awful !

If your deadlift is stalling at 600lbs then you're still flying pretty high! What you bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

COH wrote: »
    If your deadlift is stalling at 600lbs then you're still flying pretty high! What you bench?

bench is currently struggling at 120 max .. historic injury!

I try to keep as anonymous as possible on here .. but on the 25th March you'll probably figure out who I am based upon those numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

whippet wrote: »
    bench is currently struggling at 120 max .. historic injury!

I try to keep as anonymous as possible on here .. but on the 25th March you'll probably figure out who I am based upon those numbers!

that's a serious bench!
    i'm at 100-105kg at to quote DeadPool Maximum Effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

woodyg wrote: »
    that's a serious bench!
    i'm at 100-105kg at to quote DeadPool Maximum Effort!

I’d like it to be a lot more .. when I’m training with last benching 150-200kg on a regular basis I feel inadequate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

Hit a 180kg deadlift today,up from 160kg in October.progress is good,I wonder should I belt up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cashcow wrote: »
    Hit a 180kg deadlift today,up from 160kg in October.progress is good,I wonder should I belt up now.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why not?

your right! only because I'll have to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Good write up on whether or not to use a belt here:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

My Squat and Deadlift improved immeasurably recently after getting a proper belt. Not only in terms of numbers, but also comfort and confidence in the lift.

I came across this recently. Might be worth a look.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXIQ6B-PpU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Nice milestone hit tonight, 250kg deadlift at 87.5kg bodyweight :).

Deano7788 wrote: »

Ah the 1/4 tonne. Must feel great to reach such a huge milestone. Well done

Ok, maybe it needs to be the whippet & Deano thread.

Didn't look that slow at the top either.

Link?

Is there a big screen up to your left...like when an athlete looks up at the big screen on the home straight? :)

Is there a big screen up to your left...like when an athlete looks up at the big screen on the home straight? :)

It does actually look exactly like that :pac:.

I do have a tendency to look to the side before I lift, especially on squats. I think it started when I would record myself and have my phone propped up against something, to make sure i was in the frame. Now I seem to do it even when someone is recording me :o

I always assumed it was the same rack you squatted in and that there was something that was unavoidably distracting.

Not enough of a distraction to stop you nailing squats though!

I always assumed it was the same rack you squatted in and that there was something that was unavoidably distracting.

Not enough of a distraction to stop you nailing squats though!

I actually do try to always use that rack if I'm doing heavy squats in UL, although possibly for a weird reason.

There are 2 power racks in UL, with another inside this one. If you squat facing out in that one, though, you're facing a mirror and I don't want to be able to see myself so that I can't use it to check depth; I want to judge it by feel and just repeatedly hitting the movement as that's the only way I'll get it in comp.

I could squat facing the other direction in either rack, but then I'm just directly facing a wall. By facing out in this one, I'm able to see the entire gym in front of me, so if I can ignore all the stuff going on in front of me here, on comp day squatting facing a crowd should be grand as well. I can be a bit anal about preparation and the mental side of things, but it's basically the closest I can get to replicating competition there.

I actually do try to always use that rack if I'm doing heavy squats in UL, although possibly for a weird reason.

There are 2 power racks in UL, with another inside this one. If you squat facing out in that one, though, you're facing a mirror and I don't want to be able to see myself so that I can't use it to check depth; I want to judge it by feel and just repeatedly hitting the movement as that's the only way I'll get it in comp.

I could squat facing the other direction in either rack, but then I'm just directly facing a wall. By facing out in this one, I'm able to see the entire gym in front of me, so if I can ignore all the stuff going on in front of me here, on comp day squatting facing a crowd should be grand as well. I can be a bit anal about preparation and the mental side of things, but it's basically the closest I can get to replicating competition there.

Completely get that. It's better to get used to not looking at mirrors or just looking out across a room because it's more like competition and when I get close to comp I do the same. That said, the racks are always in demand so it's hard to get any consistency with that set up. But I definitely get that.

• Advertisement

Completely get that. It's better to get used to not looking at mirrors or just looking out across a room because it's more like competition and when I get close to comp I do the same. That said, the racks are always in demand so it's hard to get any consistency with that set up. But I definitely get that.

Yeah they're heavily in demand here as well usually, I've just gotten lucky the last few weeks in that UL tends to be a bit quieter on Fridays, so I've been able to get the same rack. If it was taken and the other was free I'd just use that and face the wall. Hopefully though my luck will continue a big longer. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was hit by a car a while back and fell off the fitness wagon (home for months with no use of arm or hand possible, plus complications of quite a bad back from it), gained a lot of weight and obviously that arm was so weak it made my naturally weak arm look beastly. Fast forward and I won entry into a weight loss competition with 2 PT sessions a week for 8 weeks. Just had the final weigh in and I've won, happy days!

Down 10.7KG (23.5lbs) and a helluva lot stronger so happy out. My gym membership had just run out and I won 6 more months so it came in the nick of time. Gym was kind enough to let me use the gym for free for a few weeks to finish off the contest. My trainer was really great and pushed me hard. I think his biggest shock was my food diary showing I was vegan haha. That also meant I felt like I could eat a lot due to the low calorie nature of a lot of my food. It was an individual competition but there were two teams against each other also, which was great motivation as well, some group classes and getting to relate about all the pain. Looking forward now to more strength work continuing on.

220kg squat, 7.5kg PB :)

https://instagram.com/p/Bgreh3DFCrR/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Did charity thing in the gym the other weekend
    190kg squat (only did 2 lifts)
    200kg deadlift (failed on 2nd lift, first go at 200)
    100kg bench (failed 105kg)

Missed the 500kg which was the aim. My side acted up during deadlift.
    I actually failed 160kg dead when warming up which freaked me out a bit.
    In hindsight I should have done another squat at 200kg as reckon would made it.
    Still will get that 500+ in next charity comp they do

What bw are you? Do you compete?

What bw are you? Do you compete?

88kg currently. Did an in house comp in December (squat 190kg then) and have signed up for the IPF May Open :)

88kg currently. Did an in house comp in December (squat 190kg then) and have signed up for the IPF May Open :)

Dannnng, that’s strong. 30kg increase in squat in 3 months!! Jesus. Plus 250 DL. what’s your bench like?

Dannnng, that’s strong. 30kg increase in squat in 3 months!! Jesus. Plus 250 DL. what’s your bench like?

I do not speak about my bench!:pac:

Nah, it's easily my worst lift. Hit 105 in comp and failed 107.5. Since then have hit 112.5kg for an RPE 9 about 5 weeks ago and 105 for 5 doubles this week, so maybe around 115 or 117.5. It's improving but still awful in comparison.:)

I do not speak about my bench!:pac:

Nah, it's easily my worst lift. Hit 105 in comp and failed 107.5. Since then have hit 112.5kg for an RPE 9 about 5 weeks ago and 105 for 5 doubles this week, so maybe around 115 or 117.5. It's improving but still awful in comparison.:)

Ah it’s hard to get all 3 lifts perfect. Close to 120 ain’t bad in fairness.
    Not everyone can be Clarence Kennedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

220kg squat, 7.5kg PB :)

Ah, piss off will ya

:(

Advertisement