Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

When going for a PR I would always limit the number of reps / sets beforehand .. a PR should be a max effort and how can you max effort when you have gone through a load of reps.

A PR should be treated similar to a competition type day ... if I was looking to hit a 250kg top set squat I would;

Loads of mobility work & rolling
    Barbell only squat x5
    75kg x 2
    125kg x 1
    175kg x 1
    215kg x 1
    235kg x 1
    250kg x 1

I would always have at least one spotter for anything that is 80% or above and will always have safetys on in the rack or mono ... its just about safety as even an experienced spotter can get hurt when it goes pear shaped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭testtech05

Did my first comp at the weekend a Push/Pull comp held at my gym as a fundraiser. Went 6/6 and finished up with new PB's of 110 on Bench (+5Kg) and 205 on Deadlift (+15Kg). Delighted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

whippet wrote:
    I would always have at least one spotter for anything that is 80% or above and will always have safetys on in the rack or mono ...

Agreed on safety's, I'd be similar. Would you look to have a spotter for working sets above 80%!? Seems like overkill, when probably 50% of sessions in a programme could be over 80% of max weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

VW 1 wrote: »
    Agreed on safety's, I'd be similar. Would you look to have a spotter for working sets above 80%!? Seems like overkill, when probably 50% of sessions in a programme could be over 80% of max weight.

I would .. just because when it goes pear shaped you'd wish you had a spotter. To be fair where I train there is no shortage of spotters and you don't even need to ask - people will just automatically spot when you are lifting.

I do remember when on holidays last year and I was in the middle of a prep and needed to squat 225kg as part of the programme .. I was using a local cross fit gym and ended up not even taking my top set as it was so obvious that the person offering to spot hadn't a clue what they were at and probably would have killed the both of us if it did go awry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah, tbh, I'd be extremely select in asking anyone for a squat spot. That said I just set up safeties to do their job, rarely ask anyone for a spot unless it's a max bench attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would trust a stranger to spot a squat tbh. Unless I know they know what to do. I'd just feel safer bailing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm grand with just safeties to be honest.

But then I'm not squatting 220+ like whippet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Tested my 1RM this week after a 6 week cycle. I followed the training programme very closely - it was based on percentages and increasing weight / reducing reps on the main lifts across the 6 weeks plus some accessory exercises.
    +7.5kg on squat (125kg),
    +2.5kg on bench (80kg)
    +7.5kg on DL (120kg).
    Surprisingly chuffed. Possibly could have gone 2.5kg more on squat, but couldn't move 125kg on DL and wouldn't have managed 82.5kg on bench.

Haven't done much on the food side of things but would probably guess that I have had a calorie defecit over the 6 weeks due to a bit of weight loss / toning visible.

Do the numbers sound about right to you experienced lifters out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

slavedave wrote: »
    Tested my 1RM this week after a 6 week cycle. I followed the training programme very closely - it was based on percentages and increasing weight / reducing reps on the main lifts across the 6 weeks plus some accessory exercises.
    +7.5kg on squat (125kg),
    +2.5kg on bench (80kg)
    +7.5kg on DL (120kg).
    Surprisingly chuffed. Possibly could have gone 2.5kg more on squat, but couldn't move 125kg on DL and wouldn't have managed 82.5kg on bench.

Haven't done much on the food side of things but would probably guess that I have had a calorie defecit over the 6 weeks due to a bit of weight loss / toning visible.

From my limited experience it looks to me like Deadlift should be higher. Or maybe you just have a really good squat. But from what I see, Deadlift is usually higher up the than squat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    slavedave wrote: »
    Tested my 1RM this week after a 6 week cycle.   I followed the training programme very closely - it was based on percentages and increasing weight / reducing reps on the main lifts  across the 6 weeks plus some accessory exercises.  
    +7.5kg on squat (125kg),  
    +2.5kg on bench (80kg)
    +7.5kg on DL (120kg).
    Surprisingly chuffed.  Possibly could have gone 2.5kg more on squat, but couldn't move 125kg on DL and wouldn't have managed 82.5kg on bench.

From my limited experience it looks to me like Deadlift should be higher. Or maybe you just have a really good squat. But from what I see, Deadlift is usually higher up the than squat
    I'm no expert either and I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will be able to give you better insight however I always worked off the principle of; bench your BW, squat BW+ 50% and DL BWx2.

So if you weigh around 80kg your seem on track for bench and squat and a bit down on DL.
    have you struggled with your DL at all? injury etc.
     I know my squat is about 20kg weaker that where it should be compared to my other two lifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think 1:1.5:2 is a good rule of thumb for ratios

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I would expect my DL to be better than my squat but to date my squat has always been better. Physiologically, I have chicken legs! But my hamstrings are almost non-existent, so I would be confident that there is an imbalance there. My brothers say that I have great legs, if they were on a lady.:D
    The gym PT was watching me on all my lifts and says my technique is pretty good on all lifts so I must have a weakness there. I struggle with DL in general- particularly the off-the-ground portion, so I had done some deficit dl's over the last 3 weeks and they were tough.
    It is the second 6 week phase - the first one saw similar improvements over my previous PB's so I suppose I just continue 6-week cycles with a week's deload / 1rm setting in between each cycle?
    Here's to hamstrings like a man!!

PS I do have a long standing lower back immobility from about 30 years ago - decades of seated kayaking and bent-over hockey methinks. I have a fairly pronounced anterior pelvic tilt that I am working on. DL's often get felt in the lower back when I haven't been nailing the form for them. However, I have good neutral spine on the whole when I DL (according to those who have watched me do them)>

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

There's no such thing as right numbers. You are where you are and everything is improving, congrats on the PRs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just back from my first ever powerlifting competition and absolutely delighted with how it went. Left something in the tank on both squat and deadlift inadvertently but that's just a lesson to be learnt.

THere was no actual weigh in but I still weighed myself this morning before I left to get a rough ballpark of weight, weighed in at 82.9kg.

Squat 190kg (5kg all time PB at 7kg lighter) benched 105kg (5kg PB competition style, had done 110kg touch and go when heavier but that no longer counts!) and deadlift 227.5kg (7.5kg PB) for a 522.5kg total

Was told I after my squat I looked to have 200kg in me, and deadlift honestly looked and felt like an opener so a bit annoyed there but delighted to have got 500lbs!

Went 8/9 overall, missed a 107.5kg but I'll take the PB.

To be honest my biggest achievement was probably getting up on the platform, after being told 2 years ago I'd never squat and deadlift properly again due to a hip issue, which thankfully I was able to overcome!

Now to take out IPF membership!

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Just back from my first ever powerlifting competition and absolutely delighted with how it went. Left something in the tank on both squat and deadlift inadvertently but that's just a lesson to be learnt.

THere was no actual weigh in but I still weighed myself this morning before I left to get a rough ballpark of weight, weighed in at 82.9kg.

Squat 190kg (5kg all time PB at 7kg lighter) benched 105kg (5kg PB competition style, had done 110kg touch and go when heavier but that no longer counts!) and deadlift 227.5kg (7.5kg PB) for a 522.5kg total

Was told I after my squat I looked to have 200kg in me, and deadlift honestly looked and felt like an opener so a bit annoyed there but delighted to have got 500lbs!

Went 8/9 overall, missed a 107.5kg but I'll take the PB.

To be honest my biggest achievement was probably getting up on the platform, after being told 2 years ago I'd never squat and deadlift properly again due to a hip issue, which thankfully I was able to overcome!

Now to take out IPF membership!

Haha, ffs for a PB that was an easy squat. Another 5 there anyway. Shot at 200. 3rd DL looked like an opener. Maybe a 2nd if youd opened very light to conserve energy

Haha, ffs for a PB that was an easy squat. Another 5 there anyway. Shot at 200. 3rd DL looked like an opener. Maybe a 2nd if youd opened very light to conserve energy

I have literally no idea where those 2 lifts came from, deadlift especially. I had several people tell me it looked like an opener and when I looked back I actually cursed as it confirmed how I felt. Im actually so conflicted over it, on the one hand I'm annoyed I left so much on the platform, I feel I was good for 240kg possibly to be honest, but on the other I deadlifted 500lbs easily for a big PB! Good conflict to have going on I suppose :pac:.

I'm going to do a full write up over in the dedicated thread but in summary today was unreal! Definitely competing in an IPF comp next year.

I have literally no idea where those 2 lifts came from, deadlift especially. I had several people tell me it looked like an opener and when I looked back I actually cursed as it confirmed how I felt. Im actually so conflicted over it, on the one hand I'm annoyed I left so much on the platform, I feel I was good for 240kg possibly to be honest, but on the other I deadlifted 500lbs easily for a big PB! Good conflict to have going on I suppose :pac:.

I'm going to do a full write up over in the dedicated thread but in summary today was unreal! Definitely competing in an IPF comp next year.

There's a bit of a learning curve with meets. Better off, especially at the start, to get as many lifts as you can and know there's more than get carried away and miss a few.

But you'll find that out now! :)

Well done on today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Spotted my first ever meet. Nobody died :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Spotted my first ever meet. Nobody died :cool:

that's cool you went to spot!! good job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Benched 110kg with alot more in the tank(will find max next week).Pulled 192kg without having deadlifts in my program...lifting straps are great.!!
    Will do a month of steve justa deadlift program in Jan along with smolov squat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭COH

Hi everyone...

250kg raw squat (no knee wraps)...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcplg7lFGY8Ky9qTWpTbh_NSwl0xFEzgAd2USo0/

#IStillLift

140kg x 8 paused bench... all time motherf*cking bench PR (I don't get to say that very often :cool: )

260kg squat (no wraps) and a 180kg bench :cool:

Token gym pbs tonight, 192.5kg squat and 230kg deadlift, both 2.5kg heavier than my 3rd attempts last month at an RPE of 8.
    Now to just go beat them during the rest of my training block.

Token PB as well. Two weeks ago, I started this block of high bar squat with a best of 130x4x4.

Tonight I hit a single @8 with 155kg, a 12.5kg PR.

91% of my comp max.

WOOF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Lately, just going up to the gym seems like an achievement to me.

I used to be a regular, like 3 to 4 times a week. I've never had a fit athletic body but I kept myself in some sort of shape.
    Due to some complicated life circumstances , I had to give up the gym for a while. which turned out to be for about four months. Autumn was a disaster. Put on weight and any muscle mass gained has pretty much gone. Got into a slump lazy ass mood and kept delaying signing up for a new gym.
    Back into it since December and it's unreal how much catch up I have to do.

It's overwhelming to read what you folks do.

Anyway, as they say, no pain no gain.

Barna77 wrote: »

I used to be a regular, like 3 to 4 times a week. I've never had a fit athletic body but I kept myself in some sort of shape.
    Due to some complicated life circumstances , I had to give up the gym for a while. which turned out to be for about four months. Autumn was a disaster. Put on weight and any muscle mass gained has pretty much gone. Got into a slump lazy ass mood and kept delaying signing up for a new gym.

You'll get there. Don't focus on how far from where you were that you are now. Just focus on getting back into the habit of training and you'll be back there and then beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Barna77 wrote: »

It's overwhelming to read what you folks do.

Anyway, as they say, no pain no gain.

Been there twice. Once due to a bike accident, the other due to workload. Once you fall back into the groove, you'll be golden. Muscle memory kicks in as well so you'll get those gains back fairly quickly. Then that's your motivation to keep going.

Hang in there buddy, PB's are only around the corner!

First ever 200kg squat, RPE OF 8 at most :D

https://instagram.com/p/BebP4WWleLS/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

First ever 200kg squat, RPE OF 8 at most :D

https://instagram.com/p/BebP4WWleLS/

A PR at an RPE of 8!? How does this happen???

Advertisement