Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I definitely do not have above average fitness! Do a bit of cycling by way of commute and longer distance stuff (e.g. Ring of Kerry) but definitely would consider myself behing the pack fitness wise there. Everything else is resistance based.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

205kg squat, my first time into the 200's.yeeeeeaaaaaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

PB Bench 100kg - delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One armed pullups:
    About 10 sets of 4 with my left arm.
    Also a few singles with +5kg

No OAPUs with my (dominant) right arm, have a shoulder niggle for the last while that doesn't seem to be going away. Strangly I don't feel it when pressing only when doing pullups and suitcase deads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Great thread! Started liftin heavy about 3 months ago, got the weight up on the dumbell bp pretty quick and started benching with the bar 4 weeks ago and managed 110kg on monday!

Started deadlifting 5 weeks ago, been progressing every week and today got 170kg, delighted! Next week ill try 180....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Run - Distance: 13.2 km. Time: 1:13:20.

Did the same distance again on Thursday.
    Time 1:10:38.
    Nice improvement after only 4 days! Must do it again tomorrow and see how I get on.

Ab wheel torture:

5 standing rollouts with BW +18 kg vest (using the wheel on the right below)

Also am getting better with the staggered handle wheel which is significantly harder. Can do a few standing rollouts with BW.
    241302.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Where did you get that beast??

Hanley wrote: »
    Where did you get that beast??
    Elverys! Cost about 20 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Just won the new Aussie BBQ challenge, got down 3 and quarter great whites. Another lad had 3 and 3 quarters down but he spewed it up before the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

MrPain wrote: »
    Another lad had 3 and 3 quarters down but he spewed it up before the end.

Amateur!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭COH

That's mighty good eatin' right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Just bought a family pack of chicken popcorn, cooked it, and fit it into a demi baguette :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tested max pull-ups this morning (full ROM) and managed 13. Would have expected more than that as I can do 5x8 easily enough. Will try again in near future. Would be aiming for ultimately 20. Will try some weighted pull-ups again to mix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

145kg x 2 deadlift that felt easy:D Vid in my log:)

Sly 'I have a log go look advertisement:pac:

MrPain wrote: »
    Just won the new Aussie BBQ challenge, got down 3 and quarter great whites. Another lad had 3 and 3 quarters down but he spewed it up before the end.

Best thing in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 realitycheck11

145kg x 2 deadlift that felt easy:D Vid in my log:)

Sly 'I have a log go look advertisement:pac:
    wow there brah, 145x2???!!! do you even lift brah????!!!

thats mad pathetic lol, but all the same, you could prob join Hanley's ethos and call yourself a PT now.................

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

wow there brah, 145x2???!!! do you even lift brah????!!!

thats mad pathetic lol, but all the same, you could prob join Hanley's ethos and call yourself a PT now.................

Permabanned for trolling.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

Permabanned for trolling.

I'm kinda sad. Wish I knew who it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Better off just gone, turned your log into a mess for a while last night Hanley. Best of luck today

• Advertisement

3.5 inch block deadlift with straps and moderate sumo stance:

250 kg x 9. Dead stop between each rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

BrianD3 wrote: »
    3.5 inch block deadlift with straps and moderate sumo stance:

250 kg x 9. Dead stop between each rep.

How long have you been lifting? You're an animal.

How long have you been lifting? You're an animal.
    Thanks, I have been lifting 10 years.

Re: being an animal, while i may be decent at deadlifting, chinning and ab wheels etc., I'm poor at both squatting and benching. My best deadlift is pretty much double my best squat!

On the block pulls, I was hoping to do 300 for reps or 310 for a single but 280 felt so heavy that I wasn't confident of getting even 300 for a single so didn't attempt it and dropped back to 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Thanks, I have been lifting 10 years.

Re: being an animal, while i may be decent at deadlifting, chinning and ab wheels etc., I'm poor at both squatting and benching. My best deadlift is pretty much double my best squat!

On the block pulls, I was hoping to do 300 for reps or 310 for a single but 280 felt so heavy that I wasn't confident of getting even 300 for a single so didn't attempt it and dropped back to 250.

That's some crazy weight your moving on Deadlift for your b/w fair play. Do you purposely not train your bench & squat as much & just concentrate on deads? How are you getting with your improvised farmers walks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Under 70kg for the first time in 6 months, down from 73kg 4 weeks ago still a bit of fat to cut though.

That's some crazy weight your moving on Deadlift for your b/w fair play. Do you purposely not train your bench & squat as much & just concentrate on deads? How are you getting with your improvised farmers walks?
    I haven't been training the bench and squat as long as the deadlift (6 years vs 10 years) and currently I dont train them very often as my cage/bench is in a different house than the one I usually stay in which has my deadlifting stuff. Still, I have trained the bench and squat hard and frequently in the past and made very little progress.

The farmer's walks are going well, I am using 55 kg per hand and the setup I described in the other thread with the tri grip plate + other plates on one side of a dumbbell handle. Balance and grip are pretty good and it is a nice change exercising outdoors. The downside of my "implements" is there is no way of getting any more weight onto them due to space and balance considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Had my first powerlifting competition yesterday. Set 3 PR's and and got a girls number. Pretty successful day for me :D

Cross post from my log...

IPO National Powerlifting Championships 2013

Well... my first comp in over 3 years and I went 220/135/230 @ 90kg

Bit of an odd one really. In retrospect I guess I “trained” for it, but didn't “prepare” for it. Unless you've actually been on the platform you won't get the subtle difference.

I'm not sure if I had a 'mare of a day or what really. Here's how it went...

SQUATS

1st attempt: 200kg – miss on depth
    2nd attempt: 220kg – miss on depth
    3rd attempt: 220kg – got it

BENCH

1st attempt: 120kg – easy
    2nd attempt: 125kg – easy
    3rd attempt: 135kg – got it

DEADLIFT

1st attempt: 220kg – did not feel light
    2nd attempt: 230kg – all good
    3rd attempt: 245kg – attempting to save a 600kg total, missed it

Yah so funny oul day. The squats felt heavy from the start. Wasn't comfortable warming up for whatever reason and only really got into it on my last 180kg belted warm up. Dropped my opener from 220kg to 200kg to play it safe so I wouldn't f*ck up my first lift back and could attempt to go 9 for 9, and what happened... Yes – I royally f*cked it up. Got an absolute bollocking off the legend that is Ben Hartigan for being a wuss and based off the ease of my first attempt I went to 220kg for my second (back story: when I started training in Hercs in 2005 Ben threatened to “kick me up the arse” because I was cutting squats high and leaning too far forwards, I got a bollocking then, and got another one yesterday which was pretty much the same word for word, it's funny how the little things like that stick with you).

Messed up my second attempt as well (tried to bomb in and out fast so the judges wouldnt' have time to look too hard at depth and got kicked forward hard at the bottom and wasted my lower back saving it). So once again, I was left with a third attempt squat which I absolutely NEEDED to get to stay in the comp. That's happened too much recently. Anyway I got in, set up tight, sank it in and came out pretty easy. Big disappointment to be stuck with 220kg after how well training has gone, but you reap what you sow, and I wasn't properly prepared for the comp.

Benching was grand... dropped my opener to be safe, got it easy (120kg). Jumped to 125kg and smashed thru that well. And as an example of some of the worst picked attempts ever, I jumped 10kg on my last attempt to 135kg for my first ever 1.5x bodyweight raw comp bench (which is actually really lame).

Deadlifts were just sh*tty. I'd lost all interest at that stage and my training had fallen apart over the last couple of weeks too. Pulled a 220 opener and it was harder than it should have been. Got the 230kg a bit better and then went to 245kg in an attempt to save a 600kg total. And of course I missed it.

Considering I did 230/135/240 in the gym 8 weeks ago at 97kg I'm disappointed. The last week of prep has been a disaster from a prep standpoint for various reasons but ya know all that matters is what went down on the platform.

The comp was exceptionally well run and the IPO should be very proud of themselves. Consistent and strict judging, great spotters and loaders and the table staff kept everything running so smoothly. I know Hercs had a big part in the organisation of it and supplied the spotters, loaders and gear and it really is a credit to the gym.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again – but lifts performed on the platform are an ENTIRELY different proposition to those done in the gym, but the cool thing is that I have now set a legit baseline to fight against going forward.

Goals for the next 3 months? Get below 10% again and hold there for a while, get thru the Coan Bench Cycle and push my deadlift up.

Goals for the next 6 months? Squat 250kg, bench over 150kg and deadlift 260kg again.

Goals for the next year? 100Kg @ 10% body fat, and a 272.5kg+ squat, 150kg+ bench and whatever deadlift I need to breakthru a 700kg raw total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Got my 180kg deadlift, delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ran 10 miles for only the second time in my life. 1:33:00 even, including a few seconds stopped at traffic lights.

Not a great time, but I ran way within my comfort zone. Should be able to get that down to under 85 minutes over the next few weeks.

Carrying half a stone more than I'd like to, but not feeling any ill-effects from it.

Advertisement