Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No yellow tint on mine or the brothers new one and you can tell from the way the forums have all stopped talking about it that its pretty much dead and buried now. A great pity it ever happened because its tainted the Google results for whats probably the best phone money can buy at the minute, definitely the best for less that €350 anyway, its a work of art, even when Im not using it Im looking at it, the nicest electronic device I ever owned and the battery just will not die, I went to plug mine in the other night thinking it must be near dead after a long day using a lot of GPS and calls around Dublin and it was still at 70%.

Anyone looking for a new phone in this thread at the minute its Moto G if you want dirt cheap, Mi3 if you want cheap but good and OPO if you want cheap Galaxy/Nexus flagship spec and 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I think this phone is great value at the moment

http://www.etotalk.com/elephone-p2000_p6119.html

That's a great looking phone alright, I had Elephones dismissed in my mind because they were butt ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thargor wrote: »
    That's a great looking phone alright, I had Elephones dismissed in my mind because they were butt ugly.

Decent battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Barr wrote: »
    I think this phone is great value at the moment

http://www.etotalk.com/elephone-p2000_p6119.html

Ahhh! I'd just made up my mind on the OnePlus!
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    It's off to YouTube again ☺

• Advertisement

It looks very similar to the Nokia Lumia 1020. Even comes in yellow like the Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

amby666 wrote: »

Have a look at the Mi4.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

No yellow tint on mine or the brothers new one and you can tell from the way the forums have all stopped talking about it that its pretty much dead and buried now. A great pity it ever happened because its tainted the Google results for whats probably the best phone money can buy at the minute, definitely the best for less that €350 anyway, its a work of art, even when Im not using it Im looking at it, the nicest electronic device I ever owned and the battery just will not die, I went to plug mine in the other night thinking it must be near dead after a long day using a lot of GPS and calls around Dublin and it was still at 70%.

Anyone looking for a new phone in this thread at the minute its Moto G if you want dirt cheap, Mi3 if you want cheap but good and OPO if you want cheap Galaxy/Nexus flagship spec and 4G.

Where does the OnePlus ship from? Do I have a customs risk?

Given the price difference don’t think they are competing with the oneplus.

Elephone are a budget brand offering good value for little money.

It probably could be got cheaper elsewhere as Etotalk are not the cheapest seller out there . They do have the option of their own rom though.

Where does the OnePlus ship from? Do I have a customs risk?
    UK for mine if you go down the official route, obviously if you use a reseller like Alliexpress that could change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just took delivery of the S-View cover for the Elephone P8 and it's a lovely thing.
    Instead of the plastic leather looking rear cover it's swapped out for a soft leather effect S-View type cover, complete with dedicated screen functions when closed.
    I'm sure Samsung's lawyers will be contacting Elephone for a little chat sometime soon!
    But it really is impressive, and makes the handset even more premium feeling, despite it's cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

newg300 wrote: »
    My Redmi arrived yesterday morning from xiaomi's Italian warehouse, only ordered it Wed night Irish time so very happy with their service.

Just a quick question for any other owners: is there any issues over what class micro SD can go in? Looking at buying a Sandisk Class 4 32gb or an INtergral Class 10 card for it.

I have a 64gb and it works fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 binbag92

So what Samsung model's cover fits the Elephone P8?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

None, different sized devices, it's a dedicated S-View clone cover built to suit the Elephone, branded with the Elephone name and logo on the reverse and made from that PU-Leather material, also known as leatherette to those of us old enough to remember.
    The S-View has little by way of controls, you can only swap it's wallpaper about, but it's nice and functional, giving control of the music player, camera and a nice calendar app as well, not to mention the time and SMS/Email notifications, however the more advanced Samsung functions are absent, so no step meter or the like.
    Typically, the device comes with a protective plastic layer inside and out, with the outer one detailing what the functioning screen will look like.
    Sadly, it's also the functioning screen of the Samsung original!
    abc66.jpg
    While this is what it actually looks like
    hqdefault.jpg
    Pretty nice actually.

Here's hoping that any custom OS will preserve the S-View function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I'm looking to get my first Chinese smartphne and was looking at the THL 5000 but after reading about Android-L would like one with that installed. What are the chances the THL will receive an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd say it's going to be very hit and miss with who gets the update.

I'd imagine very few will actually get it.

If its updates you want, don't buy chinese.

Starting to sound like a broken record now but if you want guaranteed updates on the cheap then the Oneplus One is what you want, its got guaranteed support for 2 years but its the Cyanogenmod phone so Id expect the community will squeeze another couple of years out of it aswell...

The Oneplusone is grand for what it is, but its almost double the price of the THL5000.

Its not possible to compare the 2 performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Xiaomi are pretty good for updating, but you'd want to wait for 2-3 months after L iis launched before you'll find a Chinese one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RossieMan wrote: »
    The Oneplusone is grand for what it is, but its almost double the price of the THL5000.

Its not possible to compare the 2 performance wise.

I like the look of that phone, has it been abandoned like the Neo?
    Neo still works a dream by the way.

Edit: charging port still on the top,meh and some GPS issues,not major deal breaker.

• Advertisement

I've only recently found a rom that suits my neo.

I get about 3 days use of it. finally.

before it was just a single day and i'd have to charge it.

I'd never by from a small chinese brand again, however.
    They've been truely awful with their updates, and have no customer support what so ever.

Tbh once I get a full day from it I'm happy as it charges pretty quickly. Found a really good Blackberry charger with a 6ftt lead on Amazon for €6 delivered and it locks in the port.

Still on Beta 3 and happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

They've been truely awful with their updates, and have no customer support what so ever.

hi there, what is the name of the ROM and where did you get it. might try to change the rom that is mine.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

What rom are you using now m8?

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1ijJ96

Its the original V1.1-W1.1 file. could never find it before.

My phone finally goes into deep sleep when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

@ wiz569 - i am using - Margarto (no certain about the version but i think it is version 3)

@rosieman - thanks for that. looks as if i have something to do over the week - or maybe sooner.

hopefully it works for you.

Its nothing special, everything works fine.

I used to always have battery drain problems, this ROM has finally sorted it. my phone is on 83% after being charged. Yesterday morning.

Will that flash as an update?

All the normal stuff works ok? Play store etc?

I'm not sure, i completely wiped mine when doing it.

It comes with some chinese bloatware, but it takes seconds to remove. Play store works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1ijJ96

Its the original V1.1-W1.1 file. could never find it before.

My phone finally goes into deep sleep when not in use.

That's the one I'm using too m8

Think I got it on needrom :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement