Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

RossieMan wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you clear them? They're using up your RAM slowing it down. If you're not using the app, its just wasting resources running in the background. Obviously it makes it quicker to react if its already open, but with 512mb of RAM, you need all the resources you can get.

Android does that, without you needing to kill stuff at all.

Memory management is good on Androids, but can be improved with something like V6 Supercharger, and unused memory is just wasted....

Android likes to fill it's boots with RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Righty, have a Jiayu G4S being delivered today/tomorrow.

Does anyone know the best way to remove the Chinese bloatware?

Is it possible to install a European version of Kit-Kat or maybe CyanogenMod?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

http://www.needrom.com/category/jiayu/g4s/

these are the available roms for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Cheers, any tips or recommendations?

Afaik the g4s comes pre rooted aswell?

Haven't had to this since got my Galaxy S2 a good few years ago, so very rusty!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276
    That will usually root anything you put it on. just in case its not pre-rooted.

The rainbow rom from teamforce seems to have the best reviews. However, its probably best to get advice from someone who has a G4S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

You have just got me thinking about a new rom for my phone. Should I go for an Miui Rom or a Kit Kat Rom, what's the best (it's an Iocean X7HD) basically next phone I get will have 16gb or over storage, 4gb is way too small, but you live and learn..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Titanium backup great for removing bloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

well guys i received my phone today & happy to report it escaped the beady eyes of the custom men so relieved at that

Ordered it last Tuesday night & got here today a few hours ago, loving it so far seems to have everything i need. - which isnt a hell of a lot to be fair :P

Anyway thanks for all advice giving in the last few days . much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

App Master has an uninstall feature, it makes a backup of the apk in case the phone starts to crash after uninstall

Link2sd or Gemini App Manager can freeze apps either, which just removes them from the drawer and stops them from auto-starting

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276
    That will usually root anything you put it on. just in case its not pre-rooted.

The rainbow rom from teamforce seems to have the best reviews. However, its probably best to get advice from someone who has a G4S.

4Gs is on the framaroot list:

Look under...

Compatibility for MTK devices (Boromir, Faramir and Barahir exploits only) :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/framaroot-supported-devices-t2722980

• Advertisement

I found this app good for removing bloat and chinese apps including system apps: (you need root)....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp

But, if you flash a custom ROM, they will all be gone anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Chinese National "Day" actually runs from 1-7 of October, it's 7 days and not 5.

Nearly everyone is off so no orders would be processed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

After all my reading and arsing around I finally went ahead and ordered the THL5000 from Aliexpress. Says fast delivery but I dunno what story is with it- I'm getting it posted to an address up North by the way. Anyway here's a link and I'll come back with my own thoughts on it when I get using it etc.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/THL-5000-Mobile-Phone-MTK6592-Octa-Core-Android4-4-2-5-0-1080P-IPS-Coning-Gorilla/1991026926.html

Anyone else have any dealings with it? What's your opinions? Rom need to be changed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

mcg1987 wrote: »
    After all my reading and arsing around I finally went ahead and ordered the THL5000 from Aliexpress. Says fast delivery but I dunno what story is with it- I'm getting it posted to an address up North by the way. Anyway here's a link and I'll come back with my own thoughts on it when I get using it etc.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/THL-5000-Mobile-Phone-MTK6592-Octa-Core-Android4-4-2-5-0-1080P-IPS-Coning-Gorilla/1991026926.html

Anyone else have any dealings with it? What's your opinions? Rom need to be changed etc?

Fairly comprehensive review here

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/09/17/thl-5000-review/

won't get sent till the 7th at the earliest. Pointless ordering from China this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Was stuck between a Huawei Honor 6 or a Zubia N7 Mini,however had a revisit due to 4G frequencies on O2 in the uk and looks like the Dual Sim Galaxy S5 Duos / G900FD looks to meet my needs.

Has anyone seen these available?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

abarkie wrote: »
    Was stuck between a Huawei Honor 6 or a Zubia N7 Mini,however had a revisit due to 4G frequencies on O2 in the uk and looks like the Dual Sim Galaxy S5 Duos / G900FD looks to meet my needs.

Has anyone seen these available?

The Galaxy is a very expensive option , its over twice the price of the Nubia :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Someone mentioned Pandawill some time back.

Of all the Chinese sellers I have bought from, I would say PW, are the most difficult to deal with for refunds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

won't get sent till the 7th at the earliest. Pointless ordering from China this week.

Just been on and checked this morning. Raging that it actually says closed and won't ship until the 8th.

• Advertisement

Chinese holiday, was mentioned here a couple of pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Just updated my Jiayu G5S to the SPAOSP rom. It's android 4.4.3 now and it's really stable. Been using it for a day with no crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Does anyone here have a Xiaomi Mi4?
    Where would be a good place to buy from?

My last phone was a Jiayu G3s that's broken now, I'm not sure if I should get another Chinese phone like the Mi4 or something like the Sony Xperia Z2?

Does anyone here have a Xiaomi Mi4?
    Where would be a good place to buy from?

My last phone was a Jiayu G3s that's broken now, I'm not sure if I should get another Chinese phone like the Mi4 or something like the Sony Xperia Z2?

Someone who frequents here has one, I forget the name. Xiaomishop.com or AliExpress are probably the best spots to get, iboygou.com if its still up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Someone who frequents here has one, I forget the name. Xiaomishop.com or AliExpress are probably the best spots to get, iboygou.com if its still up

I'm pretty sure it's fixxer - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=22440

corwill wrote: »

That's the one, he got his from xiaomishop.com, so I'm sure he can answer any questions you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

My Redmi arrived yesterday morning from xiaomi's Italian warehouse, only ordered it Wed night Irish time so very happy with their service.

Just a quick question for any other owners: is there any issues over what class micro SD can go in? Looking at buying a Sandisk Class 4 32gb or an INtergral Class 10 card for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I've been asked by a friend to get a phone for her husband for Christmas (yes, it's that time again)
    Because it's a present, I don't want to have any issues that need me to change the rom or compromise on GPS not working etc.
    Price isn't really the issue, in the €300 range is OK I'm told.
    4g isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a pity to regret afterwards. What 4g standard do I need to look for here? On 3.
    So good screen, 5" or a little bigger. , fast, GPS, 4g sd card or loads of space on board. Don't want to have to uninstall to update apps. Pretty much the dream.
    Have looked at several but mostly 4g question or lack of reviews is holding me back or the fear of a yellow screen on the one plus as a present.
    Have a few weeks yet so can wait if there's a killer coming in a couple of weeks, but don't want to get stuck in the Christmas rush.
    My friend has the hongmi 1s, so wants something up from that for the other half.

Any thoughts or help? All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

amby666 wrote: »
    I've been asked by a friend to get a phone for her husband for Christmas (yes, it's that time again)
    Because it's a present, I don't want to have any issues that need me to change the rom or compromise on GPS not working etc.
    Price isn't really the issue, in the €300 range is OK I'm told.
    4g isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a pity to regret afterwards. What 4g standard do I need to look for here? On 3.
    So good screen, 5" or a little bigger. , fast, GPS, 4g sd card or loads of space on board. Don't want to have to uninstall to update apps. Pretty much the dream.
    Have looked at several but mostly 4g question or lack of reviews is holding me back or the fear of a yellow screen on the one plus as a present.
    Have a few weeks yet so can wait if there's a killer coming in a couple of weeks, but don't want to get stuck in the Christmas rush.
    My friend has the hongmi 1s, so wants something up from that for the other half.

Any thoughts or help? All welcome.

Get a Oneplus. Don't fear the yellow screen. It's there, it is a thing but unless you look for it you won't see it. If no one had ever told me about it I'd never have noticed it.

It's only noticeable in something like gmail, where the background is a very light grey & there is a difference between the top & the bottom of the screen if you look closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I have the oneplus ages, no yellow tint on mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement