Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Maybe a banner in the title "READ THE OP Before POSTING" might reduce the number of customs questions.
    Of course there will always be muppets who think they know better....we can report those for derailing the thread :D

there is nothing in the OP about what to expect when your phone is in customs though only how best to avoid it happening.

Starting to think a customs thread would be a good idea, i know i have things id like to discuss about it and it is as said part of buying a phone from China, & obviously a very big part as its coming up so often

Mines has just been updated now to being in East Midlands UK Processing so hopefully get to these shores in the next few days

Right so I've a phone being delivered that's currently in customs hands.

What's the procedure? Just email them proof of purchase and price of p&p and then it'll be released?

Also, does the extra customs tax have to be paid on delivery? or can it be a few days later?

who is delivering your phone do you know?

Mines is coming thru DHL so fully expecting it to be impounded , but on the DHL website it says that they pay customs for you then you pay them on delivery but ive read people having different experiences online .

Also found this gem of a video during my research which made me giggle but left me none the wiser

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

oranbhoy67 wrote: »

Mines is coming thru DHL so fully expecting it to be impounded , but on the DHL website it says that they pay customs for you then you pay them on delivery but ive read people having different experiences online .

Also found this gem of a video during my research which made me giggle but left me none the wiser

Christ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Christ..

The producer of that magnificent opus is likely on here somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Have to agree Thargor, I really find the customs discussions very boring on an otherwise fantastic thread.

Anyway pulled the trigger on two of these for the kids for Christmas, no delivery charges no customs. What ya think?

http://www.coolicool.com/-presell-time-april-4th-inew-v3-mtk6582-13ghz-quad-core-50-inch-hd-screen-android422-3g-smartp-g-33210

Ordered phones late last Tuesday night 23rd Sept, arrived in work first thing Monday morning (29th) not bad at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Tis DHL that's delivering mine aswell, what do people use for proof of payment?

Tis DHL that's delivering mine aswell, what do people use for proof of payment?

email them your paypal receipt or any email receipts you have from the company you bought it from.

Mines is on the DHL tracker as "Forwarded for delivery" in Dublin .. hopefully might mean it has escaped customs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That phone you ordered has horrible specs, what made you buy it in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

RossieMan wrote: »
    That phone you ordered has horrible specs, what made you buy it in the first place?

Who you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Any one have any experience with/know where to get a EE Kestrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

hi guys bit of advice needed here,

I ordered this fone from this site http://en.comebuy.com/cell-phones-android-cell-phone-4-inch-phones-om12447.html
    after my friend in Glasgow ordered it and recommended it as a decent budget smartphone, he ordered it by DHL but he said it was actually the local postman that delivered it to his door and it arrived 7 days after he made his order.

Now ive since started reading up on here and on other forums, and it seems i may have made a mistake ordering thru DHL as they declare everything to customs and so everything from China gets held up their is this correct?

Could anyone tell me roughly the price id be expected to pay by customs if i am invoiced for this ? - the price i paid in total including delivery was just under €82

I ordered it on Tuesday and using tracking on the DHL site their has been no update on its whereabouts since Wednesday
    Who you referring to?

I would think it is oranbhoy67

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys/Gals, just a heads-up for anyone thinking of ordering from China. The 1st to 5th October is a National Holiday period in China. All commercial activity ceases for that period. So if you order today, processing will not start until next Monday earliest.

Sorry, yea was referring to oranbhoy. I'll have to start putting the phone i'm referring to at the top of the message.

As had been suggested here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Sorry, yea was referring to oranbhoy. I'll have to start putting the phone i'm referring to at the top of the message.

As had been suggested here before.

2 week ban for not conforming to rules

:pac:

my friend in Glasgow has it, says it perfect for all he needs it for... which is the same needs i have ,ie light browsing ,facebook, youtube a few game apps, mp3 player , half decent camera .. ive got a HTC wildfire S at the moment which is crap but done the job for me until the touch screen started playing up.. so when he sent me the link & said he was very happy with it and i saw how cheap it was i bought it on a whim

but yeah i wish id done a little research on here beforehand.. but if it manages to get here without customs charging me i should be happy enough.(unless its really substandard) giving the price.

Ah thats fair enough i suppose.

512mb of Ram will be a nightmare to use, otherwise its actually a decent phone.

I've a soft sot for zopos myself. :P

Ah thats fair enough i suppose.

512mb of Ram will be a nightmare to use, otherwise its actually a decent phone.

I've a soft sot for zopos myself. :P

in what way a nightmare? and any way of improving performance?

in what way a nightmare? and any way of improving performance?

it'll most likely be slow and laggy when using a couple of apps together. You'll just have to keep clearing out your running apps quite regularly.

I'd imagine it'll be quite glitchy, its actually been a couple of years since i even used a 512mb phone. It was a nightmare then, can't imagine much has changed.

it'll most likely be slow and laggy when using a couple of apps together. You'll just have to keep clearing out your running apps quite regularly.

I'd imagine it'll be quite glitchy, its actually been a couple of years since i even used a 512mb phone. It was a nightmare then, can't imagine much has changed.

just looked there and my HTC was the same ram, il try keep on top of it & use clean master, that seems to keep things going smooth enough on my tablet and that's ancient.

If i notice its real bad ill sell it and invest in a higher end one (& wont use DHL) :)

Don't they say NOT to clear your running apps?

Also, I've heard Kit-Kat is very well optimized so he might get away with 512mb but it won't be pleasant!

• Advertisement

Don't they say NOT to clear your running apps?

Also, I've heard Kit-Kat is very well optimized so he might get away with 512mb but it won't be pleasant!

Why wouldn't you clear them? They're using up your RAM slowing it down. If you're not using the app, its just wasting resources running in the background. Obviously it makes it quicker to react if its already open, but with 512mb of RAM, you need all the resources you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Seen a one plus one in the CEX shop in the omni shopping centre in santry for 385 if its of any use to any of you guys it says its locked to 3 network,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Why wouldn't you clear them? They're using up your RAM slowing it down. If you're not using the app, its just wasting resources running in the background. Obviously it makes it quicker to react if its already open, but with 512mb of RAM, you need all the resources you can get.

Empty RAM is useless, full RAM is simply full, it has no drain on resources in Android, and no battery drain.

Eg. Full and empty RAM use the same CPU power and Battery

If more RAM is needed, Android closes an app, RAM is refilled with whatever needed it. If you go back to an app, its still in the RAM so opens immediately, whereas if you empty your RAM all the time, every app needs to be re-drawn every time you open it, which actually slows down the system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bobby_D wrote: »
    Seen a one plus one in the CEX shop in the omni shopping centre in santry for 385 if its of any use to any of you guys it says its locked to 3 network,

They come unlocked from one plus. No idea how they think it's locked to 3.

Empty RAM is useless, full RAM is simply full, it has no drain on resources in Android, and no battery drain.

Eg. Full and empty RAM use the same CPU power and Battery

If more RAM is needed, Android closes an app, RAM is refilled with whatever needed it. If you go back to an app, its still in the RAM so opens immediately, whereas if you empty your RAM all the time, every app needs to be re-drawn every time you open it, which actually slows down the system

It also kills the battery quicker because its constantly reopening apps.

It also kills the battery quicker because its constantly reopening apps.

This too. Apps which are too large for the RAM or services running in the background e.g. Music or something like that are what bring the slowdown

what kind of apps would you recommend i use to get the best out of my ****ey ram then folks?

what kind of apps would you recommend i use to get the best out of my ****ey ram then folks?

Whatever apps you like, Android will handle it itself. If its truely awful, limit background processes in the Developer Settings to 2 or 3 apps, and close apps you won't be using again soon yourself

*Edit I meant just use it as normal with no third party task managers, I can't stress enough that they will not help

I've basically always thought it was the opposite. I've learned something today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Guys/Gals, just a heads-up for anyone thinking of ordering from China. The 1st to 5th October is a National Holiday period in China. All commercial activity ceases for that period. So if you order today, processing will not start until next Monday earliest.

And the demo's in Hong Kong may cause delays from there....

hope all is OK for those protesters, I remember Tiananmen Square, and I am filled with fear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement