Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The OnePlus One is nearly as good for nearly half the price, 5.5" instead of 5.9".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Thargor wrote: »
    The OnePlus One is nearly as good for nearly half the price, 5.5" instead of 5.9".

I had one but forwared it to my dad as he was struggling seeing things on his old iphone. Cant get an invite for love nor money now :)
    Some days I just feel i need a really big phone :D

I got mine at the height of the demand for them by begging random people on the OnePlus facebook page with private messages, anyone who obviously owned one that is, took me an hour but I got one. Post in the invite thread here aswell people couldn't give them away a few days ago. Id say move fast though as when people realise the price of the new Nexus a lot of them will be flocking to the OPO.

EDIT: Keep an eye on the OPO Reddit aswell, lots of invites being given out there: http://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

fixxxer wrote: »
    I had one but forwared it to my dad as he was struggling seeing things on his old iphone. Cant get an invite for love nor money now :)
    Some days I just feel i need a really big phone :D

http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/anyone-can-preorder-the-oneplus-one-starting-october-1266148

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anywhere I can get a Xiaomi delivered from Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Anywhere I can get a Xiaomi delivered from Europe?

http://www.xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

Cheers think ill get this http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html

The battery on the S4 is terrible, for a normal user its ok but for me who's never off the phone I needed a bigger battery.

You mean the Samsung Galaxy S4? There were defective batteries in a lot of them, maybe worth fishing for a replacement depending on when/where you bought it...

Thargor wrote: »
    You mean the Samsung Galaxy S4? There were defective batteries in a lot of them, maybe worth fishing for a replacement depending on when/where you bought it...

Got it about 6 weeks ago, when was this battery issue raised?

Got it about 6 weeks ago, when was this battery issue raised?

The latest issue I heard about the S4 battery seemed to relate to a 4.4.2 update earlier in the year. What version are you running?

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    The latest issue I heard about the S4 battery seemed to relate to a 4.4.2 update earlier in the year. What version are you running?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hi guys, ive never had a smartphone before so im going to take the plunge now.
    Ive been looking a a few phones, which one would be best.
    The Jiayu g4s 150 Eur.
    Elephone p2000 141 E Eur.
    Elephone p8 150 Eur.
    Asus zenfone5 123 Eur.

Or if anyone could rec any better phone for 150 or below.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Little more pricey but you can't do wrong with a moto g it'll be even getting lollipop soon.

And beware you may have to pay some duty on them phones so them prices may not be the final price

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Little more pricey but you can't do wrong with a moto g it'll be even getting lollipop soon.

And beware you may have to pay some duty on them phones so them prices may not be the final price

To be honest with you im all confused about all the tech words.
    I just want to make phone calls and go on the net while out.
    Will i be certain to be caught by customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

To be honest with you im all confused about all the tech words.
    I just want to make phone calls and go on the net while out.
    Will i be certain to be caught by customs?

You'll most likely be caught by customs yeah, if its going to be your first smartphone the Moto G will probably be your best bet. If you have any issues or the like, there is a lot of support for the phone online, whereas the Chinese ones don't have as much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You'll most likely be caught by customs yeah, if its going to be your first smartphone the Moto G will probably be your best bet. If you have any issues or the like, there is a lot of support for the phone online, whereas the Chinese ones don't have as much

Have you ever bought a Chinese phone?

Have you ever bought a Chinese phone?

6 phones and a tablet? Is my information not accurate?

6 phones and a tablet? Is my information not accurate?

And you can't find any online support for them?

You seem to have bought an awful lot of Chinese phones. So it seems strange you would suggest another poster doesn't!

Samsung's 4.3 "update" for S3 and S4 was absolute poison, particularly for battery life. Any ROM you replace it with, whether stock or custom, should be an improvement.

And you can't find any online support for them?

You seem to have bought an awful lot of Chinese phones. So it seems strange you would suggest another poster doesn't!

I didn't say you couldn't find any, the Moto G will have a hell of a lot more, which is the point I was trying to make. I normally just roll my eyes at the mention of a Moto G here, but when its going to be your first android then you're probably better getting something you'll be able to carry into a shop if you do have a problem.

Else JONJO, a Xiaomi Redmi is a very nice phone! You can get it without worry of customs if you order from www.xiaomishop.com and choose the European warehouse

*EDIT* Link www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Comes to 166 euro if you can stretch 15 out :pac:

• Advertisement

Says on some sites that you wont have to pay customs, if i do get caught how much would they add on?

Says on some sites that you wont have to pay customs, if i do get caught how much would they add on?

If you order from a European Warehouse then you'll be fine! But from Hong Kong its more than likely.

You'll want to pick Dhl I'd say, generally best courier around, they charge 20 for delivery, 10 for handling or something? And then 23% of the items value, so you could be looking at the price of the phone +60 delivered

If you go free delivery from Hong Kong, it takes roughly 3 weeks, An Post take the customs money in cash when its delivered, plus a 6 euro handling fee

Go the parcel motel route. I find it halves the delivery time at least. Well worth the 4 euro!

Go the parcel motel route. I find it halves the delivery time at least. Well worth the 4 euro!

On the free delivery option?

Samsung's 4.3 "update" for S3 and S4 was absolute poison, particularly for battery life. Any ROM you replace it with, whether stock or custom, should be an improvement.

Good stuff ill give it a bash

On the free delivery option?

Ya. They seem to ship directly to the UK, but going to Ireland seems to go via other country's.

I've gotten stuff in 9 days using the free delivery and parcel motel route.

Good stuff ill give it a bash

You should be able to get stock 4.4.2 from Samsung's website. Surprised it hasn't been pushed to you OTA. If it was me, I'd flash Cyanogenmod to it, but you may have warranty concerns.

You should be able to get stock 4.4.2 from Samsung's website. Surprised it hasn't been pushed to you OTA. If it was me, I'd flash Cyanogenmod to it, but you may have warranty concerns.

Read up on 4.4.4 its coming next month apparently

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn, just got the Elephone P8 working the way I like and something seems to have failed properly :(
    I'm getting no sound from the main speaker unless the main USB port at the bottom of the device is jostled a bit.
    Initially I thought it might be software, did a restore, reset, reinstall and so on but the issue persists.
    Very unhappy as the phone has been minded like a baby since purchase :(

It may be simply a dry piece of solder, easy fix for someone, everything else is working a treat, on 4.4.2 custom ROM.

I'll probably stick it on Adverts, see if someone wants a bargain.

So long Chinese phone adventure, and off to Moto G land I go :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 richardjack67

All are waste...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement