Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

hampton is such slight girl isnt she, would been top player 10years ago but has face these power hiiters now.

interesting see how games kavcic can take coming off being under medical supervision

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Mother of god I completely forgot that the Laura-Sloane match is on tonight! :eek: Gonna be a late one :D Rather surprised it's not on one of the main courts to be honest.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hampton getting back into this

edit: Or not. What a disappointing end to the first set.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mother of god I completely forgot that the Laura-Sloane match is on tonight! :eek: Gonna be a late one :D Rather surprised it's not on one of the main courts to be honest.

Yep, weird scheduling. I know neither one of them is a huge name yet but Laura is from Melbourne and has a lot of support. Not saying put her on Rod Laver, but even MC would have been good.

All the matches I want to see tonight are on in the silly hours. Delpo, Tsonga, Raonic, Robson, they're all going to be on at like 3 or 4 o'clock. Worse is the ones that are on before it aren't likely to keep me interested enough to stay awake :(

Will be setting the alarm for Tomic/Fed though. I can't wait. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Well that was disappointing! I'm sure once Hampton gets more top level experience she'll get better at staying in the set and not make silly mistakes.

I'm impressed with her forehand though! Nice zip to it and she seems to be able to put some angles on it!

Annnd, she broke Aza!

• Advertisement

Can't go to bed now anyway! This just got interesting!! Hampton up 3-1.

Poor Hampton. Took an MTO as she was about to serve for the 2nd set, seems to be in real pain after every shot here but is still going toe to toe with Vika. I hope she just needs a few minutes for the pain killers to kick in.

Hampton breaks Azarenka then doubles over in pain. How she's doing this I don't know...then again it's not often you get to play the World No.1 and defending champion on Rod Laver. Vika looks close to a meltdown!!

The silence was deafening when Aza broke back. Aussies love an underdog!:D

Nobody likes Vika it seems. She's been on at 11am all three matches so far. Barely any crowd support. The fact that Hampton is the underdog anyway and is hurt now too they're really not going to cheer for Vika. It's quite amusing.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious how little support the defending champion is getting. BTW, am I the only one who finds it strange that Redfoo is always in the player's box? Shouldn't he be working??

Jamie Hampton is 23?!?! I thought she was Sloane/Laura age? She looks ridiculously young!

RosyLily wrote: »
    It's hilarious how little support the defending champion is getting. BTW, am I the only one who finds it strange that Redfoo is always in the player's box? Shouldn't he be working??

LMFAO split up and it's like 99% certain they're a couple now, so it's not that surprising he's there. It is however annoying.

That was gutting for Hampton. Ah well. Hope we see more from her. The Laura/Sloane match is probably gonna be too late for me I'm afraid, not even sure if I'll catch any of the Serena match.

LMFAO split up and it's like 99% certain they're a couple now, so it's not that surprising he's there. It is however annoying.

Tonight was the first I had heard of that. Mank! What an odd couple.
    I was surprised though, as she's supposed to be with Sergei Bubka, and visited him in Paris only a couple of months ago when he had that accident.

^ RedFoo's been hanging around for months now. There were all sorts of rumours for ages but it wasn't that long after Bubka had the accident that she said she was single. I'm sure if your very recent ex fell out a window and nearly died you'd go visit him.

Hampton said in press that she has 2 herniated discs in her back. Has had it since RG last year! Mental that she's still playing with it. Looked pretty serious tonight though.

This Tomic/Federer match is all kinds of fun.

Bernie ran out of gas in the end there. First 2 sets were highly entertaining.

I've been highly amused by Bernie this year. He says some silly things but I think the press have been blowing it all out of proportion. I think he's probably not that bright and maybe tries to say insightful things but ends up implying that Roger Federer might not make the third round! :D It's kind of refreshing though. You know every other player in the draw would have given the stock answers of "I'm trying not to look ahead in the draw.... taking it one match at a time..... blah blah blah....."

I think Bernie showed he really does have a lot of natural talent and when he puts his mind to the task 100% he can play some wonderful tennis. I hope he keeps this new attitude he has found this year and gets back up the rankings.

71 shot rally between Monfils and Simon. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cracking final set this all the same between Monfils and Simon, I'm a fan of Monfils myself and he's really getting the crowd pumped up here. Some stupidly long rallies though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

pconn062 wrote: »
    Cracking final set this all the same between Monfils and Simon, I'm a fan of Monfils myself and he's really getting the crowd pumped up here. Some stupidly long rallies though!

Switched match off after Monfils won third. Cant believe Simon didnt retire.
    Murray wont be too worried anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

simon didnt eat much all day i heard, did well hang on hes not type of person to give in, was half expecting monfils might pack it in 2-0 down

I hate the commentators praising that match as a classic. It was awful. Two players playing endless rallies because neither can hit a winner, an injured player who can barely walk and the other guy doesn't try to move him back and forth. Monfils drinking cans of coke like an idiot. It was just stupid, the whole thing. One bright side to it is that Murray should steam roll Simon now and we'll be spared another endlessly boring match up between them.

Really surprised that del Potro has been knocked out!!:eek: I was expecting him to play Murray in the QFs and have a cracking match. I fell asleep so didn't get to see it.:o But by the looks of the score-line it seems it was a close match.

Not sure whether to watch Kerber-Makarova tonight or sleep & get up early for Sharapova-Flipkens & Ivanovic-Radwanska. Decisions, decisions!:p

Victoria & Redfoo a romantic couple?? Just...no!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Really surprised that del Potro has been knocked out!!:eek: I was expecting him to play Murray in the QFs and have a cracking match. I fell asleep so didn't get to see it.:o But by the looks of the score-line it seems it was a close match.

Not sure whether to watch Kerber-Makarova tonight or sleep & get up early for Sharapova-Flipkens & Ivanovic-Radwanska. Decisions, decisions!:p

Victoria & Redfoo a romantic couple?? Just...no!

Makarova v Kerber will be a good game to be fair, Maria will beat Flipkens easily enough so interest their, Aggy should be to clinical or Anna, but Anna does have the power to blow Aggy away. It will be easy on the eyes anyways.

Simon will struggle against Murray,as he is basically a clone of Murray but he does nothing better than Murray, stranger things have happened but Murray is going to have to implode to lose that game.

Looking ahead I really think Milos has a chance against Federer, ran him close last year and beat Kohlschriber a very good player easily enough today.

The bad thing about the second week of the Australian Open is a lot of the good matches are on really early rather than really late. The only match I want to watch tomorrow is the Aga/Ivanovic match, but I doubt I'll be able to drag myself out of bed for it :/

^ Yeah, lots of doubles on first, I guess they want to keep the singles matches for the TV audiences later in the day. I haven't looked properly at tonight's schedule but I don't think there's any I'm that interested in on until 3rd or 4th.

No coverage on Eurosport until 12.45!!!:mad:

No coverage on Eurosport until 12.45!!!:mad:

What a load of rubbish! (although I'm enjoying these top 10 things they're showing)

• Advertisement

What a load of rubbish! (although I'm enjoying these top 10 things they're showing)

The one with the Chinese guys was hilarious!!:D

Advertisement