Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Looks like I was right to be worried about Stosur, although I thought she might have run away with the match after taking the second set 6-1. It wasn't to be though! Must be so disappointing not being able to do well at your home Slam.

Heather Watson had another 3 set win, defeating Ksenia Pervak 4-6, 7-6, 6-2. She's playing Aga Radwanska next. They met at Wimbledon last year where the Pole won in straight sets. It will be interesting to see if Heather learnt anything from that match and if she does anything different to upset Aga.

No big surprises overnight. The only one that's remotely surprising is Cibulkova losing to Valeria Savinykh of Russia. Sharapova had another double bagel, defeating Misaki Doi. She's looking in great form imo but whether she would be able to beat Aza/Serena in the final is another matter altogether!

Think I'll get up early in the morning to watch Robson-Kvitova. I'm hoping for a tight, tough match. Not sure who's way it'll go. Robson could take it if Petra's below-par but if Laura lets up a little, it could cost her. It's second on Rod Laver, so I'm guessing it might be on around 10am.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Poor Ryan Harrison. He didn't even play that badly against Djokovic but there was just a gulf in class there. At least he's still got doubles to play.

I really want to watch Vekic v Woz tonight but I'm thinking it's going to be around 4 or 5 in the morning so probably ain't gonna happen. Eursport have adopted Vekic as one of their own :D She could have a real shot at Woz, she's a real talent and doesn't seem phased by the Slam experience at all.

Anyone catch Janko being a tool again. Was up 2-0, lost the next 2 sets. Called a MTO in the last set just before Lackso's serve and then won it. He was doing this ridiculous muscle flexing with his arms after he won too. Such a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think what annoys me the most is how people think he is some sort of character because he is not a ball basher, wears shades, but the fact is he is the least likable player on the men's circuit bar none. Today is not first time he has done his, tried the same trick against Ferrer in the US Open and their is numerous other showcases of petulance against the likes of Seppi and Janowicz over the years and of course he has been involved in what at best could be described as a "suspicious" betting match a few years against Zeballos.

Just a really nasty vile little man, sooner he goes back to been the journeyman he was a few years the better for tennis. :(

^ The problem is he's actually capable of playing really great tennis when he wants to. He's not likely to win a slam but I don't think he's going away any time soon.

He does this video diary thing for EuroSport called Tipsy Time, and yesterdays one was just him ignoring a security guy telling him not to film in the corridor. Why would you film that and then why would you let the TV show air it? Just made him look like an arrogant twat.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think what annoys me the most is how people think he is some sort of character because he is not a ball basher, wears shades, but the fact is he is the least likable player on the men's circuit bar none. Today is not first time he has done his, tried the same trick against Ferrer in the US Open and their is numerous other showcases of petulance against the likes of Seppi and Janowicz over the years and of course he has been involved in what at best could be described as a "suspicious" betting match a few years against Zeballos.

Just a really nasty vile little man, sooner he goes back to been the journeyman he was a few years the better for tennis. :(
    ^ The problem is he's actually capable of playing really great tennis when he wants to. He's not likely to win a slam but I don't think he's going away any time soon.

He does this video diary thing for EuroSport called Tipsy Time, and yesterdays one was just him ignoring a security guy telling him not to film in the corridor. Why would you film that and then why would you let the TV show air it? Just made him look like an arrogant twat.

Tipsarevic is also quite openly homophobic too, yet remains extremely popular. Utterly bizarre.

• Advertisement

Tipsarevic is also quite openly homophobic too, yet remains extremely popular. Utterly bizarre.

And sexist as well, so apart from gamesmanship, homophobia, "possible" match fixing and been a terrible loser on court, he is ok.:D

He's not that popular among proper tennis fans. I mean people who follow the sport week in week out. I even know a few Serbian people on twitter and they're not overly keen on him despite the national pride. Tennis commentators and presenters are actually surprisingly uninformed when it comes to players and what they do off the court. They don't seem to pay attention to them at all and only swot up on a few tabloid style rumours when a slam comes around.

Tipsy has a lot of female fans, but I can only assume they're very young girls because any woman with half a brain would know he's a chauvinistic so and so.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Azarenka eyeing up a double bagel I'd say!

Azarenka eyeing up a double bagel I'd say!

Nope 5-1 now :D

I wasn't far off :p Hope Serena is quick too, I am sleepy.

• Advertisement

Wow. this is a ugly match between Kvitova and Robson, unforced errors and double faults galore.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Wow. this is a ugly match between Kvitova and Robson, unforced errors and double faults galore.:(

Some finish to this match. 9 - 9 in the third.

A shock could be on the cards here. Robson has match point

And as I say that Robson has won. 11-9 in the deciding set. Fair play to Robson.

Complete and utter garbage from Kvitova, only last year she was a contender for this and now look at her? Unforced error and double fault machine, dreadful utterly dreadful performance, Robson should not get to excited anyone would have beaten Kvitova in that sort of form.

Not a knock on Laura, she has talent and played quite well to beat Kimmy and Li in ths US, but really she didn't win this match, Petra lost it.

I am looking forward to Stephens v Robson though, I know they played recently and Sloane win easily but despite the utter awfulness of Kvitova, Robson should take a lot of heart and belief from this win.

Complete and utter garbage from Kvitova, only last year she was a contender for this and now look at her? Unforced error and double fault machine, dreadful utterly dreadful performance, Robson should not get to excited anyone would have beaten Kvitova in that sort of form.

Not a knock on Laura, she has talent and played quite well to beat Kimmy and Li in ths US, but really she didn't win this match, Petra lost it.

I am looking forward to Stephens v Robson though, I know they played recently and Sloane win easily but despite the utter awfulness of Kvitova, Robson should take a lot of heart and belief from this win.

No matter how bad Kvitova played she still has to be beaten and Robson can only beat what is in front of her. I think this match will bring Robson on and it should be a good game against Stephens.

What has happened to Kvitova? has she lost interest in the game or has she just sat back on her arse because she won wimbledon?

Speaking of rubbish, I have to say that first couple of rounds have been full of garbage, it seems that some of the lower ranked players don't bother to try against the higher ranked players. I know that some of the matches are mis-matches in the early rounds and not matter how good the lower ranked player plays they will still be beaten but it is just some of the players go out to and all they want to do is get of the court as quickly as possible, which is disappointing.

Quite the error-strewn contest between Kvitova and Robson! Altogether, there was 30 double faults & 92 unforced errors! 92!!! Robson pretty much won it on Kvitova's errors. Not taking anything away from Laura, she's very talented and it takes a lot to beat a top player.

Petra is still young and could still win more Grand Slams but I'm worried that she'll become a one-slam-wonder. I think she's losing her hunger out there. I hope she changes things up after this and actually challenges for the Grand Slams. I can still remember her from Wimbledon 2011; she completely pulled apart Sharapova. I want to see that player again!!!

Not slagging Laura she can only beat what is put in front of her, but that performance the more I reflect on it from Kvitova was shambolic, Sloane will be a real test of Laura she may not be as gifted as others but she has potential and noway will she or anyone for that matter play as badly as Petra was today.

Cracking match I reckon.

I was watching a recording of the Robson-Kvitova match, and guess at what point the recording stops? Laura serving for the match at 30-0. Bloody UPC -__-

Anyway, good result for Laura, but I agree with others that say Kvitova lost the match rather than Robson winning it. And boy did Petra lose it :eek: Don't think Laura will get past Sloane, but it's a fantastic opportunity for her, cause the winner of that match will probably play the quarter final against Serena.

Really happy Kuznetsova won too, she's got a decent chance of making the quarters.

Robson and Watson both through to the 3rd round after pretty terrible matches. The one thing I'll say for them is both matches took some serious determination to win. Watson saved match points, Robson was blown of the court in the 1st set, was 3-0 down in the second. Didn't see any of the skill or game she showed in beating Clijsters and Li Na last year, but it's bound to have done her good hanging in there and coming back to take it. Same for Watson.

One thing I'll say for Petra is it was still very very warm even at that late hour. Her breathing looked very strained at times. Also she was quite ill at the end of last season, I'm not sure how much of an off season she had. That said she really needs to work on her mental state. Get a sports psychologist or something on board. Reminds me of Ana Ivanovic a year or 2 ago. She went to pieces after winning RG and is only starting to get it back now. Hope Petra can stop the rot quicker than Ana did.

Didn't get to see any of last nights other matches, and when I got home this evening ES were showing Petra/Laura again!

Some juicy ones tonigh! Masha v Venus, JJ v Ana. Both could be fantastic matches, both could be horrible messes. We'll see :D

• Advertisement

I was impressed with the mental strength shown by Watson and Robson! They hung in there like players who've been on the tour a lot longer. I've good hopes for them in the future. Maybe not Grand Slam winners but perhaps solid top 10 or top 5. Only time will tell.

Nigel Sears has done a great job for Ana, especially with the mental side of the game. Petra definitely needs someone like him on board- not necessarily a new coach but help with psychology. There's not many lefties in the women's game and I think a talent like hers would be an awful thing to lose.

Ana vs. Jelena...what's Serbian for popcorn match?:) Hope to God they bring their A-game and don't stink up the place!! Ditto Maria & Venus!

Everyone's favourite chauvinistic, homophobic Serbian is playing Julien Benneteau on Margaret Court later tonight..I'm sure loads of ye will be glued to it!!:p

More bad luck for Brian Baker! During his match with Sam Querrey yesterday he tore his lateral meniscus and was taken off court in a wheelchair. Probably be out for 4 months. Source

I feel so sorry for the guy!! He reached the French Open Junior final back in 2003 and has had rotten luck ever since then.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Ana vs. Jelena...what's Serbian for popcorn match?:) Hope to God they bring their A-game and don't stink up the place!! Ditto Maria & Venus!

Everyone's favourite chauvinistic, homophobic Serbian is playing Julien Benneteau on Margaret Court later tonight..I'm sure loads of ye will be glued to it!!:p

The Serbian for popcorn is "kokice". Not sure if that's pronounced like it looks :D

I've never heard anything from Janko to suggest he's homophobic, but I wouldn't be surprised and if he is it's quite fitting he's on Margaret Court given her comments last year.

The Serbian for popcorn is "kokice". Not sure if that's pronounced like it looks :D

I've never heard anything from Janko to suggest he's homophobic, but I wouldn't be surprised and if he is it's quite fitting he's on Margaret Court given her comments last year.

:eek: Well I never!! Think I'll just stick with 'popcorn match':P

Just noticed Kimiko Date-Krumm is playing doubles as well!! She's a machine! Hope I'm half as active as her when I'm 42.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Just noticed Kimiko Date-Krumm is playing doubles as well!! She's a machine! Hope I'm half as active as her when I'm 42.

She was on Game Set and Mats earlier and I think she was saying that she quit the first time because she was like the number 1 sports star in her country and she didn't like the attention. She also kind of dissed the modern players by saying they're all just power and speed, they've no real skills like the girls she used to play against first time around, i.e. Graf and Navratilova! :)

Much better from Keys in the 2nd set but maybe too late. Kerber isn't giving it up.

Aga made swift work of Watson, JJ and Ana up next :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Good win for Kerber in the end, but man Keys is fun to watch.

Ana v JJ was actually kind of good? Some really good quality stuff from both of them. I was expecting drama, tears, nothing but errors and DF's. But no, they were playing well and smiling!

Going to have a nap and hope I wake up for Masha. Bit nervous about that one.

Damn! Masha made short work of Venus. I never really thought that Venus was capable of beating Maria, but very aware that Maria could easily lose to Venus, if you know what I mean? She played superbly though. 28 games in a row she won up until Venus got on the board. That's the record now for consecutive games in the open era.

Berdych was clinical against JoJo, he's looking good. Tipsy dragged the arse out of another match, won it in 5 :(

• Advertisement

Off-topic I know, but cgpg5 seems to have closed his account on here :( Just after he'd been made a mod and everything!

Advertisement