Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ I was doing out my draw challenge and just for fun I thought I'd have Harrison knock out Djokovic and Tomic knock out Federer and see what I ended up with, and I ended up with Almagro v Murray in the final. :D

Sveta v Woz could be epic if the players they were 2 years ago show up. It could be awful if the players they were last year show up.

Looking forward to Milos v Fed in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

^ I was doing out my draw challenge and just for fun I thought I'd have Harrison knock out Djokovic and Tomic knock out Federer and see what I ended up with, and I ended up with Almagro v Murray in the final. :D

Sveta v Woz could be epic if the players they were 2 years ago show up. It could be awful if the players they were last year show up.

Looking forward to Milos v Fed in the morning.

Could be magic...could be tragic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Imagine a Gasquet-Almagro final happened!!:eek::eek: Wonder what the odds of that would be?

Caro-Kuznet on Rod Laver first...think I'll get an early night instead. Caro hasn't reached the QF of a Slam since last year's Aussie Open; not so good when you're a former World No.1 & GS finalist.

Tempted to watch Gasquet-Tsonga. I think that might be a fun match.

100000000000000000000000000000000/1

Kuzy a break up, Caroline isn't playing awfully, while Kuznetsova is not playing at her peak but is 3-1 up.

I'm not working for a few days so going to sit up for some of this.

Woz out. Great stuff from Sveta, apart from that 2nd set where she went walkabouts. Good to see her back on form, she's so talented when she can focus it.

I think Woz is out of the top 10 now? Not sure. On the bright side, she's playing better than she did most of last year and she's got barely anything to defend this year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only watched the last set of the Fed match. Knew he'd win it in 3. All the women went to plan to it would seem, although slightly surprised that Sloane was taken to 3 by Jovanovski.

Does anyone know anybody in who's at the AO right now? Logged on to my Facebook last night to see court-side photos of the Wozniacki/Kuznetsova match, I was sick with jealousy!

• Advertisement

No surprises in the women's game so far. Needs a bit of shake-up; would be shocking if Azarenka, Serena or Sharapova lost their QFs. Probably stay up for Li-Rad match.

Hoping for a good match between Berdych-Djokovic. Although, Nole probably won't show many effects from his match with Wawrinka..the man's ridiculously fit.

Does anyone know anybody in who's at the AO right now? Logged on to my Facebook last night to see court-side photos of the Wozniacki/Kuznetsova match, I was sick with jealousy!

I would be extremely jealous!! Visiting all the Grand Slams is on my bucket list.:)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Poor from Radwanska. Very poor. For me it proves one thing, she'll always be very consistent and reliable but will never be a major force at the slams. She just can't cut it against the biggest hitters.

That whole match was awful! Li Na is an amazing player when she's on, but that seems to be like 5% of the time. Her interviews are hilarious though :D

Assuming Sharapova wins later it'll be a replay of last years Rome final in the SF. Which was hilariously awful too.

I'm kind of rooting for Almagro against Daveed. Not sure why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ferrer is mentally spot on 2 down and pretty much pinned back hes now got it back 2 sets all, after having break almagro twice to stay in the game.

Almagro got groin issue now which ferrer being so fit should be able to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Really hoping for a Murray-Federer semi. Both on tomorrow. Murray is at 1100 hrs Oz time I assume. So, late tonight Irish time, or even very early hrs tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

I know I'm looking a bit too far ahead here, but after Melbourne when is the next time we'll get to see Serena play? The next big tournaments on the calendar are Indian Wells and Miami, the former which she obviously won't be playing in, so is Miami the next tournament she'll probably play? It seems like a bit of a long gap without any match play. Obviously Doha next month is a premier 5, but can anybody really see Serena flying to Doha to play it?

if DOha pays she will go otherwise yeah she will sit out till american leg of the tour.

Very disappointed with Aga. I love watching her play and I was really looking forward to a competitive match, especially after the first 3 games. But she kinda disappeared and Li dominated! I think she (Aga) should look at Justine Henin or Martina Hingis' past matches with the big hitters and see if she can learn anything from them. Those two are the only ones I can think of atm with a similar build/game to Aga's.

Great match from Feeerrrer!! I definitely thought he was gone but he still managed to turn it around! Heartbreaking for Nico. I'm hoping the win will give David a lift ahead of the Djoko match. Would love to see them play a cracker!!

I can see why Serena has a very reduced schedule. She's already given nearly 18 years of service to the WTA...why not mellow out in her 'twilight' years. It's disappointing for the fans though as she has a huge following and people love to see her play. She'll probably still be a massive draw if she plays legends events in the years to come!:D

I know the ATP has a system that if you're on the tour a certain amount of years or have won a certain amount of games, you can drop tournaments from your schedule. Is there something like that on the WTA side?

Surprise, surprise....Venus and Serena were knocked out of the Women's Doubles by top seeds Errani & Vinci. The rest of the draw breathe a sign of relief!:p Their record in doubles finals is incredible!!! 13 titles, no losses!:eek:

I know I'm looking a bit too far ahead here, but after Melbourne when is the next time we'll get to see Serena play? The next big tournaments on the calendar are Indian Wells and Miami, the former which she obviously won't be playing in, so is Miami the next tournament she'll probably play? It seems like a bit of a long gap without any match play. Obviously Doha next month is a premier 5, but can anybody really see Serena flying to Doha to play it?

Serena (and the rest of the current top 10) are down to play Doha. She's also down to play Dubai the week after. Can't see her actually playing both, if she even plays one I'd be surprised. After that it's Miami. She's down for Fed Cup in Feb too but again I'd take that as 50/50.

Serenas style is part of problem she could probably ease off a little and play more but its not in her nature, shes really left venus behind past few years

^ To be fair though Venus is older, and sick, so she's obviously going to be behind. Serena was always the better player though. I was surprised when they said the other day that Venus had only won 7 Grand Slam singles titles. She had a year or two where she was the best one but then Serena came up behind her and just won everything.

Anyway... tonight, Vika against Sveta could be a fantastic match. Sveta's been playing like her old Grand Slam winning self this fortnight. I'd say she'd even give Serena a run for her money if she can see off Vika tonight. Fingers crossed.

I'm rooting for Jo against Fed. Don't think either has really been tested so far and it'll be interesting to see what difference, if any, having a coach has made to Jo's game. Murray against Chardy is unlikely to be anything other then routine. Same for Serena v Sloane.

WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RICHIE26188

Another straight sets win for Murray, played no one of note yet but to get to the semi final of a slam in such a mannger is impressive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Wish I wasn't in work so I could watch Fed v Tsonga. Sounds like an epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed wins in 5 sets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well I'm glad the Williams brothers are out ... Federer Murray SEMI should be good, good to see Federer and Djokovic skip on the semis for a change, I hope it can be that final.

Would be nice, Djokovic could be tired and playing David "I dare you to outrun me" Ferrer next ... could be a surprise on the cards..

Gutted Jo didn't manage to see Fed off this morning. I wish he was a bit more gutted about it, always seems to happy even when he loses :D You can see the improvements from working with Roger Rasheed already. Only one minor mental blip from him today compared to the previous 7 or 8 per match he used to have. Also better shot choice, point construction, his forehand's improved slightly, still needs work on backhand, but a lot of improvements after only a few months with RR. Hope he keeps it up now.

Serena out is quite a shocker, but Stephens was never winning that without Serena being injured. She'll probably get spanked by Azarenka in the SF now.

It's looking very like being a repeat of last years final. Hopefully with the opposite result.

I think Murray's at a disadvantage going into the SF's. He's barely broken a sweat so far. He had such an easy draw anyway and then Chardry went and upset Delpo making it even easier for him. Now he's in the SF against Federer who has had to work quite hard to get there and is in that big match mind frame especially after today's match with Jo. Of course it works in Murray's favour in that he's fresher but without really being tested there's no way of knowing where his tennis is actually at. Also no night sessions for him so far so he'll have to make that adjustment too.

Very shocked by Serena's exit. Raging I didn't get to see the whole match; when she won the first set I headed off thinking she's got it in the bag....how wrong was I!! I'd like to think that Sloane will use this momentum in her SF and really give Azarenka a proper test, a la Jamie Hampton (before the back got the better of her). Looking forward to seeing Sloane-Victoria. Hoping Li-Sharapova is better than their Rome Final....that was horrendous stuff!

TBH, I'd love to see Sharapova reach the final and absolutely demolished Vika!!!:D

Women's rankings is confusing again. If Azarenka and Sharapova reach the final and Aza wins, she retains No.1 but if Sharapova wins she'll be No.1. If Li beats Sharapova tomorrow morning, Serena becomes No.1. Or something like that....I think!

A few tennis sources are saying that Masha and Grigor Dimitrov are a couple now! Hope it doesn't distract him, the kid's got talent.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is always smiling, one of the reasons why people love him. Great match from him; definite improvements. I fear since Andy Murray hasn't been challenged he might implode against Federer. The top 2 and Ferrer have been pushed but not Murray. Yes, he's fresher but at what cost?

Casey Dellacqua & Ashleigh Barty reached the final of the Women's Doubles, defeating Lepchenko & Zheng 6-2, 6-4. They'll play top seeds Errani & Vinci next. The Aussies have nothing to lose so this could be a good match.

They're the first all-Australian team to reach the doubles final since Dianne Fromholtz and Helen Gourlay in 1977. Fantastic for Aussie tennis! I hope this is the beginning of good things for Barty...very talented player.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Very shocked by Serena's exit. Raging I didn't get to see the whole match; when she won the first set I headed off thinking she's got it in the bag....how wrong was I!! I'd like to think that Sloane will use this momentum in her SF and really give Azarenka a proper test, a la Jamie Hampton (before the back got the better of her). Looking forward to seeing Sloane-Victoria. Hoping Li-Sharapova is better than their Rome Final....that was horrendous stuff!

I was literally reaching for the off button on the TV when Serena pulled up at the net. I thought, oh, I'm going to have to see what happens now and today I am exhausted!
    TBH, I'd love to see Sharapova reach the final and absolutely demolished Vika!!!:D

Women's rankings is confusing again. If Azarenka and Sharapova reach the final and Aza wins, she retains No.1 but if Sharapova wins she'll be No.1. If Li beats Sharapova tomorrow morning, Serena becomes No.1. Or something like that....I think!

I'd have more hope for Masha winning against Vika than winning against Serena. She's beaten her twice since IW last year, and very nearly beat her at US open, which is similar conditions to here.
    The No.1 spot is a three way play off now. Serena can still be No.1 even though she's out. I think that only works if it's not a Masha/Vika final though. I'd be okay with Serena being No.1 as long as Masha is No.2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I was literally reaching for the off button on the TV when Serena pulled up at the net. I thought, oh, I'm going to have to see what happens now and today I am exhausted!

I'd have more hope for Masha winning against Vika than winning against Serena. She's beaten her twice since IW last year, and very nearly beat her at US open, which is similar conditions to here.
    The No.1 spot is a three way play off now. Serena can still be No.1 even though she's out. I think that only works if it's not a Masha/Vika final though. I'd be okay with Serena being No.1 as long as Masha is No.2 :)

I'd like Aza to crush Sharapova a million times over, much sexier, fun to watch and more swag.

I'd hate either of them to replace Serena as world number one as lets face it Serena would have won this if fully fit,she is the worlds best player as last years dominance proved.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'd like Aza to crush Sharapova a million times over, much sexier, fun to watch and more swag.

I'd hate either of them to replace Serena as world number one as lets face it Serena would have won this if fully fit,she is the worlds best player as last years dominance proved.

I hate that word.

Neither would be replacing Serena anyway as she's currently #3. I know Serena had a great run through Wimbledon, US Open and YEC's but the rankings are based over an entire 12 months, so at this point you could argue that no, she isn't the real number 1. Although yes, if she hadn't been injured this week she'd probably have won it, but still, I don't think either Maria or Azarenka are undeserving of the #1 at the moment.

Rjd2 wrote: »

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

This is awful from Masha, awful. I might cry.

Advertisement