Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dunno if anyone can help, but if someone could PM me a stream for this I'd be v. grateful (want to watch the Djoker!)

Do you have EuroSport? It's on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

also the bookmakers have it on their live video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No telly I'm afraid. I found a stream eventually, thanks for the help. Great 3-0. He looks strong.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh Mona :mad: Every time I get a little bit excited about you, you go and lose in the first round. Ah well. Opens the door for Heather to get to the 3rd round, where she will of course get destroyed by Radwanska. No real surprises in the 1st round, except for perhaps that Stosur actually won. Stayed up to watch the Sharapova match.. wow! She's in flying form.

No real surprises on the mens side either. Disappointing that Dimitrov lost in the 1st round, but not entirely surprising. Was hoping that Hewitt could pull off a shock against Tipsarevic but it's looking highly unlikely.

I see that Wozniacki-Lisicki are first up on Hisense Arena tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to catch a bit of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the early rounds with the big names are normally a blowout, but still can't get to excited about tonight's play.

I backed Mona Barthel at 200/1 ages ago for this, I didn't expect her to win but out of all the girls at that price, I figured she had the best chance, she went on a run, bookies shortened her up, but then she gets a horror draw:(

May actually have a flutter on Pervak to beat her later as well.:P

Yep, my 200/1 is gone, but salvaged by backing Pervak today, Mona just can't it together sadly in Slams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

No telly I'm afraid. I found a stream eventually, thanks for the help. Great 3-0. He looks strong.

You will find streams for most matches here

Mod Edit: Links to streams aren't allowed unless they're legal ones. i.e. Aus Opens Youtube streams.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yep, my 200/1 is gone, but salvaged by backing Pervak today, Mona just can't it together sadly in Slams.

She doesn't even travel with a full-time coach though, which is obviously a major flaw. I hope she rectifies it soon, because she has too much talent to go to waste.

She doesn't even travel with a full-time coach though, which is obviously a major flaw. I hope she rectifies it soon, because she has too much talent to go to waste.

Agreed of all the young girls she has the most potential, much more than Robson and even Pavlyuchenko, its just putting it all together, we may have to wait a while sadly.

Murray first up against haase, actually think it will be tougher than most expect, Robin is a mug but has done well against Murray before and has had some big performances over the years, could have been much easier for Murray to start with.

Murray first up against haase, actually think it will be tougher than most expect, Robin is a mug but has done well against Murray before and has had some big performances over the years, could have been much easier for Murray to start with.

Their match at the US Open in 2011 was horrible! It went to 5 and was basically a challenge to see who could play worse. Hope it's not a repeat of that.

Their match at the US Open in 2011 was horrible! It went to 5 and was basically a challenge to see who could play worse. Hope it's not a repeat of that.

Oh yeah Murray has to play poorly for haase to have a chance, but he has had some awful early matches in previous slams, I recall a dire performance against the hopeless Bogomolov commenced his US Open, play like that it could get messy. Murray should be ok as he is the superior player, but it could be bumps along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Wozniacki-Lisicki is first on Hisense Arena. I'm hoping Sabine has recovered from whatever illness she had and gets to the 2R. If Woz loses, it might make her seriously think about changing her game and bringing on a proper, experienced coach.

Looking forward to seeing Serena play! She's been in amazing form since Wimbledon 2012...the best I've seen her play in ages!! Can't believe she's 'over the hill' in tennis terms. She's wiping the court with players a decade younger than her. Surprised she's not on Rod Laver; I'd personally switch her match with Murray-Haase. I'd consider her a bigger draw.

Some sort of "significant announcement" being hinted at by those in the know on twitter. No idea what it is. It better actually be significant and not just another ATP moan about something after their players council meeting.

1956 was the last time a male player won their maiden Grand Slam and followed it up with another GS win. According to the commentators anyway.

Eurosport only showing the Murray match!!:( I WANT WOZ-LISICKI!!!

RosyLily wrote: »
    1956 was the last time a male player won their maiden Grand Slam and followed it up with another GS win. According to the commentators anyway.

Eurosport only showing the Murray match!!:( I WANT WOZ-LISICKI!!!

They listened to me!!!!!:D:D

Lisicki up a break already. Hope this is quick, I'm tired.

Its all on Lisicki's racquet this game I feel, but Wozniacki is still showing glimpses of what got her to world number one. She gets a lot of criticism but its easy to forget she did win a lot of matches not to long ago.

Fun to watch though.

Murray 2 breaks up against haas, in cruise control against a useful enough player.

Lisicki going to serve for the first set. Definitely agree though; Wozniacki is showing some glimpses of the form that saw her reach No.1 and the U.S. Open final. It's offense vs. defense in this match.

Its all on Lisicki's racquet this game I feel, but Wozniacki is still showing glimpses of what got her to world number one. She gets a lot of criticism but its easy to forget she did win a lot of matches not to long ago.

I don't mean to hate on her, but she was number 1 for a year when Serena was missing and Maria was still coming back from her shoulder surgery.

To be fair to her though she's looking more like her old self here but Lisicki is just too good for her so far.

Great stuff from Sabine, if only we saw this on a consistent basis!
    Hope she keeps it up in set 2.

Great stuff from Sabine, if only we saw this on a consistent basis!
    Hope she keeps it up in set 2.

Nope, she couldn't, its going into a 3rd.

petrova about to go out to Date Krumm while Florian Mayer s in serious trouble against someone.

• Advertisement

Nope, she couldn't, its going into a 3rd.

petrova about to go out to Date Krumm while Florian Mayer s in serious trouble against someone.

I swear to god if Sabine loses this....

And embarrassing for Petrova!

At the start of this set Lisicki was complaining to the umpire about something, apparantley it was Piotr Wozniacki making too much noise in the crowd? Don't know if he was coaching or just being rowdy but the umpire had a word with him.

The descent begins! Errani out in R1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

The descent begins! Errani out in R1.

The del moral effect wearing off then....

Glad I missed nothing too major overnight, all the big guns went to plan. A couple of surprising results though, Pavlyuchenkova and Shvedova losing. Christina McHale too, what's happened to her? Happy that Kuznetsova and Robson won, as well as 16 year old Donna Vekic, who will face Wozniacki. I wonder can she pull off the upset? That section of the draw is fairly bare, pretty much anyone could reach the quarter-finals. I wonder can Robson beat Kvitova?

Also happy that Tsonga and Delpo weren't upset in R1, and that Rosol is through to the next round! Hope he can take out Raonic :D

Robson has a fair chance against Kvitova if it's a day match. Petra's asthma doesn't do well in the heat, Thursday and Friday are supposed to be up in the 30's.

I'm a smidge worried for Stosur tonight. She's never done really well in Melbourne and is playing Jie Zheng; possible banana skin for her.

Heather Watson is playing Ksenia Pervak on Court 8. She might be on around 3am GMT, depending on the previous match. If only it was earlier since I'd like to see this one!

Best name ever, Storm Sanders, is playing doubles with Viktorija Rajicic against Natalie Grandin & Vladimira Uhlirova. Such a mix of names!!:D

Sad news from the ATP. Their Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. He'll continue in his role until the Board elect someone new. Awfully sad; can't imagine having your body break down like that. AFAIK, he's quite popular with the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Watching Fed highlights now. Give me this over any of Murray's/Novaks first round matches(which were absolutely atrocious to watch). Properly entertaining and it's a joy to watch Fed play, some nice stuff from Paire too!

The heat must be so draining, I can barely walk for an hour in 25 degrees let alone 30+ :D

John.Icy wrote: »
    Watching Fed highlights now. Give me this over any of Murray's/Novaks first round matches(which were absolutely atrocious to watch). Properly entertaining and it's a joy to watch Fed play, some nice stuff from Paire too!

The heat must be so draining, I can barely walk for an hour in 25 degrees let alone 30+ :D

Meh. You won't see a good R1 match from any of the top seeds. Paire barely even tried last night. He did exactly what Tomic did against Federer in the US Open. Tomic got torn apart for doing it, interesting to see how lightly Paire has gotten off for it.

I haven't really looked at the OOP for tonight. Djokovic vs Harrison is on last so it'll be maybe 8 or 9 tomorrow morning. I don't expect Harrison to win but it'd be great if he could keep it close. He did well in his first match to keep calm and come back a few times from breaks.

• Advertisement

Tricky match for Aggy possibly, Begu is quite handy even if results may suggest otherwise. Nothing to exciting on for the first few hours sadly.

Advertisement