Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lads I know swag is a terrible word but I can't stop using it, I am not proud:(

Blame him, I am a massive fan at the moment

Anyways really pleased for Na Li that she trashed the roaring banshee, sadly I will be cheering Azarenka in the final as she is one of my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

djoko through in straight sets over ferrer. he can rest now as fed and murray slug it tomorrow, probably over 5 sets :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Anyways really pleased for Na Li that she trashed the roaring banshee, sadly I will be cheering Azarenka in the final as she is one of my favorites.

Because Azarenka makes no noise at all. :rolleyes:

So... that second women's SF was uneventful during, but quite a shnit storm brewing after it. The journalists on site though are animals. I don't know why Vika took an MTO when she did, or what was actually wrong with her, but due to her sort of skipping over a question she was asked in the on court interview they all decided she was a lying, cheating, son of a mother and carried this into her presser where they were just downright unprofessional with her. Some of the things I saw on my twitter TL for an hour or two after it were unbelievable. I don't like Vika, I know here past behaviour does her no favours but I would have thought that the journalists would have some sort of sense and wait until they had actual facts before taking to twitter to spread a made up story. Idiots.

Also, what a let down that men's SF was. Equal prize money my back side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Glad I fell asleep and missed the matches. Judging by the highlights, they weren't exactly classics! Where the hell did David Ferrer go??? Must have send out a doppelganger instead of the real thing for that match!

I would like to see Li Na win it. She really showed excellent form in beating Sharapova, the kind of form that won her the French Open. Hope she keeps it up for the final. Carlos Rodriguez is doing a great job with her!!

It's a shame Eurosport aren't showing double matches. Always enjoy watching them.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Because Azarenka makes no noise at all. :rolleyes:

So... that second women's SF was uneventful during, but quite a shnit storm brewing after it. The journalists on site though are animals. I don't know why Vika took an MTO when she did, or what was actually wrong with her, but due to her sort of skipping over a question she was asked in the on court interview they all decided she was a lying, cheating, son of a mother and carried this into her presser where they were just downright unprofessional with her. Some of the things I saw on my twitter TL for an hour or two after it were unbelievable. I don't like Vika, I know here past behaviour does her no favours but I would have thought that the journalists would have some sort of sense and wait until they had actual facts before taking to twitter to spread a made up story. Idiots.

Also, what a let down that men's SF was. Equal prize money my back side.
    I think most of the complaints are mainly by Americans who are pissed off their compatriot didn't go through. A childish reaction.

Gamesmanship or not, it doesn't really matter to me tbh, Sloane played horribly for a lot of the match and no way did she deserve a place in the final.

Hoping for a Vika win on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Federer and Murray are listed to play at 3 PM on Friday on the ATP site. I assume that this is local time in Melbourne, which would be 0400 hrs for us tomorrow morning? Bummer!

Edit: They are the third match on from 3 PM. So, say 9 PM. That would be around 1000 hrs tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Lads I know swag is a terrible word but I can't stop using it, I am not proud:(

Blame him, I am a massive fan at the moment

I prefer this version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdPgJ0ZN8eU

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm seeing online in reaction to Vika's win.. it's absolutely ridiculous. It's as if Vika robbed her of a win or something. I mean, Sloane held serve twice throughout the match, sprayed errors all over the place and was generally outplayed for most of it. A lot of the points she won were errors by Vika. Pam Shriver and John McEnroe aren't helping the situation either by tweeting nonsense. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ It really is. I don't like Vika one bit but they're basically calling her a cheater! Sloane was never even in that match for a second. Yes it's bad timing to call an MTO as your opponent is about to serve but that's all it is. The snap reaction from some of the so called professional journalists on twitter is just pathetic and I would be embarrassed if I was one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think the time-out made any difference. Azarenka was going to win anyway. The reasons behind the time-out, I'm not sure. I reckon she might have been a bit frustrated having squandered those match points and maybe just needed to calm down or something, but it was hardly a game changing time-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone know if they will be showing the Murray v Fed match on BBC?

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will be showing the Murray v Fed match on BBC?

Indeed they will! BBC2, 8.15 am this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Thanks might actually get to watch this. I find the times of the Australian Open really frustrating and have only got to see Djokovic Berdych so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Thanks might actually get to watch this. I find the times of the Australian Open really frustrating and have only got to see Djokovic Berdych so far.

well their is nothing to be done about it their 10 hours ahead. im sure aussies finding following wimbledon the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RICHIE26188

I get the feeling Murray may crumble here in the end, hope im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

murray now 2-1 up in sets !!

Ding dong battle. Hope Murray does it. I very rarely route against Roger, but I am today routing against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Murray serving for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

What a weird face he pulled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

afatbollix wrote: »
    What a weird face he pulled.

That's his ugly face, he did it earlier too.

• Advertisement

My bold prediction that Murray wins 3 slams this year is still on!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

walshb wrote: »

Gone to a tiebreak!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Murrays 2nd serve has gone to pot. Most now under 80mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Roger back in the zone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭softy2012

How it's 2-2 is amazing, Murray will finish this out ...

Be tough for Djokovic to beat him on Sunday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well done Murray! Britains Andy Murray :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭softy2012

mike65 wrote: »
    Well done Murray! Britains Andy Murray :D

Scottish!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm waiting for the link to some one horse village here to appear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

walshb wrote: »

Bold indeed, although he's actually the form player in slams, lost final of Wimbledon won Olympics, won us open and now in the final again. If he wins tomorrow it's on, think djokovic will win in four though.

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that even if Murray won there would be no change in the rankings as he would go up to 10,000 and Fed still has 10,265?

Advertisement