Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

operation transformation 2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't think it's accurate to say exercise doesn't make a difference on the scales. Diet is more effective in weight loss, but exercise will certainly aid weight loss.

I agree with Meathlass, they don't seem to be doing their exercises with any sort of intensity, I think this is a big part in why they aren't losing as much weight this year.

They also could be eating too much, but they are showing us so little of what they eat on the show that we don't know!

Completely agree I am on a weight loss programme since New Years which is totally unrelated to OT but I still watch it. Basically I am eating between 500 - 700 calories a day and exercising rigorously 3 times a week. I am not on any fad diet or eating any of the sort of thrash they give these guys. I just eat the same just a whole lot less of it. I also have stopped eating after 6pm and drink nearly 3 litres of water a day. If I fail to make dinner before 6pm then I go without until breakfast the following morning. I have lost 1 stone in 4 weeks and have not been this light since I was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Stinicker wrote: »
    Completely agree I am on a weight loss programme since New Years which is totally unrelated to OT but I still watch it. Basically I am eating between 500 - 700 calories a day and exercising rigorously 3 times a week. I am not on any fad diet or eating any of the sort of thrash they give these guys. I just eat the same just a whole lot less of it. I also have stopped eating after 6pm and drink nearly 3 litres of water a day. If I fail to make dinner before 6pm then I go without until breakfast the following morning. I have lost 1 stone in 4 weeks and have not been this light since I was 16.
    Are you really only eating this much per day? I would really worry about the long term effects of this diet. 500 calories is very low, I would worry the body couldn’t even function long term on so few calories, fair play to you that you have the energy to still work out! I know I wouldn’t if I were eating so little! Any healthy diet I have heard of would consist of at least 1200 calories per day. And going without food from lunchtime to breakfast the next morning sometimes? I would really be concerned about that. It’s great that you have lost so much weight, but just make sure you are getting enough essential nutrients too.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

This is a definitely a fad diet. Not a healthy way to lose weight in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Out of curiosity, what do you consider trash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That's quite ridiculous to be honest.

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what do you consider trash?

Vegetables and foods where the taste is absent. My palate is actually very limited but by just reducing the foods I eat then I am losing weight. I should clarify that I often eat 1,300 - 1,500 calories but when I exercise them off it leaves me with maybe 500 - 700 calories to live on. I get more tired so go to bed about 2hours earlier than usual. As for being healthy, my diet is probably not that healthy but it is working and the health benefits of losing weight far outweighs the loss of diet. I take vitamins and things too and this is working for me. If I thought I'd die younger by being thin I'd still lose the weight as it really is important to me. Basically at the moment I can have my cake and eat it, just a much smaller slice!

That's quite ridiculous to be honest.

I've only done it twice but it is my rule which forces me to have dinner before 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Vegetables and foods where the taste is absent.

I don't think you can consider vegetables trash!
    I should clarify that I often eat 1,300 - 1,500 calories but when I exercise them off it leaves me with maybe 500 - 700 calories to live on.

What kind of exercise are you doing that you can burn 600 calories in one session? Just interested.
    As for being healthy, my diet is probably not that healthy but it is working

It's not going to keep working though. You can't survive on 700 calories and huge gaps between meals. This might work fine for a month but it all the weight will come back. Your body must think you're starving, I'm not suprised you need an extra 2 hours sleep a night.

Meathlass wrote: »
    What kind of exercise are you doing that you can burn 600 calories in one session? Just interested.

Treadmill, rowing machine, cycling and swimming. I've joined a Gym and go there 3 to 4 times a week for 2-3hrs sessions, getting at least ten hours of exercise a week.

The reason I go to bed earlier is that I am often tired after a gym session in the evening and would watch maybe half an hour of tv before heading to bed. I am also waking earlier and having breakfast every morning for the first time since I was a teenager going to school.

I actually feel like I have more energy and I can do more things now. I drink alot of water and for me this is not just a diet but it is an entire lifestyle change, my weight was always quite stable in that I could stuff my face like a pig and it would never vary +/- 2/3lbs however losing that weight was the problem and now I am eventually getting it down and I know that once I get under a BMI of 25 I will go back to more normal eating regimes and with more frequent exercise I will be able to maintain my new lower weight. The long term goal is to gain back the weight in the form of muscle and bulk up but for now the aim is to lose the belly and get slimmer before moving to that hurdle.

Vegetables and foods where the taste is absent. My palate is actually very limited but by just reducing the foods I eat then I am losing weight. I should clarify that I often eat 1,300 - 1,500 calories but when I exercise them off it leaves me with maybe 500 - 700 calories to live on. I get more tired so go to bed about 2hours earlier than usual. As for being healthy, my diet is probably not that healthy but it is working and the health benefits of losing weight far outweighs the loss of diet. I take vitamins and things too and this is working for me. If I thought I'd die younger by being thin I'd still lose the weight as it really is important to me. Basically at the moment I can have my cake and eat it, just a much smaller slice!
    Oh phew, that’s alright! I though you meant you were only eating 500 cals and I was wondering how you could even walk around never mind work out!

Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water, I find when I do a long run I often don’t rehydrate enough and that leaves me tired more so than the exercise itself.

Well done on the weight loss to date and keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh phew, that’s alright! I though you meant you were only eating 500 cals and I was wondering how you could even walk around never mind work out!

Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water, I find when I do a long run I often don’t rehydrate enough and that leaves me tired more so than the exercise itself.

Well done on the weight loss to date and keep up the good work!
    +1 on that.I also thought you were consuming only 500 cals and then working out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

A collegue in work, informed me that, the facebook page had a lot of complaints about Dr Eva and Deirdre. And are deleting all complaints, after they are posted. She herself, complained about Dr Eva, and the comment was deleted , not long after.Are people not allowed express an opinion now.
    The comments are still there. "Posts by others" have to be clicked on.

Stinicker, you say you feel more energetic, but you're more tired and going to bed much earlier so I'm not sure I understand.
    What do you think is going to happen if you eat after 6? If you're doing loads of exercise, you need fuel - it won't matter if you eat after 6, so long as it's protein-based rather than carbs.
    Seems a fairly unsustainable regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Quite contrary

Madam_X wrote: »
    The comments are still there. "Posts by others" have to be clicked on.

Stinicker, you say you feel more energetic, but you're more tired and going to bed much earlier so I'm not sure I understand.
    What do you think is going to happen if you eat after 6? If you're doing loads of exercise, you need fuel - it won't matter if you eat after 6, so long as it's protein-based rather than carbs.
    Seems a fairly unsustainable regime.

She posted her comment under charlottes weigh in picture, and her comment was taken down. It wasn't anything bad, that would warrant deleting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Charlottes kitchen is fab

Look at Ava she s fun and one of us really ! 😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I know what will be in my nightmares tonight anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

Jaysus that part was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bet that next weeks episode will have Eva going to Charlotte's house and they'll be best buds. Same thing happened last year when she had a fight with another girl.

.....And I was right.

I think people need to remember that this is a TV show and they are looking for ratings. These brought those ratings in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I caught up on the real player, I think Monica looks great, if I saw her on the street I wouldnt have said she needed to loose any weight, cant remeber what she was like at the beginning as I only started taking an interested when Dr Eva spat the dummy, but I wouldnt have said she was overweight, she looked fab in the dress for the night out

gjc wrote: »
    I caught up on the real player, I think Monica looks great, if I saw her on the street I wouldnt have said she needed to loose any weight, cant remeber what she was like at the beginning as I only started taking an interested when Dr Eva spat the dummy, but I wouldnt have said she was overweight, she looked fab in the dress for the night out
    I think that is the whole reason they had Monica on, she isn’t massively obese, but she is overweight, so she represents a lot of people in this country who are overweight and don’t realise it. The shocking thing is that she was 13 and a half stone which is quite overweight for her height, yet a lot of people would have thought she was fine. I think we have to a large extent become almost immune to people being overweight and obese and we no longer recognise when someone is an unhealthy weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Look at her in the lycra at the weigh-in though, and she's most definitely carrying plenty more than she should.

As ncmc says, we've become desensitised to weight over the last couple of decades, and being overweight is now considered 'normal'.

Well, perhaps it IS 'normal', but it's not healthy or optimal! :D

• Advertisement

I think monica looked very well last night, you can really see the difference in her shape, when she got weighed last night. I thought Charlotte was milking it over the whole Dr Eva saga. Getting her bit in again, with Dr Eva, when she arrived at her home, and then her Father joining in.she has apologised a few times now to her, once would have been enough, in my opinion. Time to let it go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Dr Eva did not come over well in my opinion on the Saturday night show she refused to apologise there and then saying she would on the show....i reckon her private business was big time on the line!!! and I found her apology weak...I wouldnt expect grovelling but I find there was no sincerity. I predict she will not be on the next series....you just can not push people too much in the current climate. She is just downright RUDE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Dr Eva did not come over well in my opinion on the Saturday night show she refused to apologise there and then saying she would on the show....i reckon her private business was big time on the line!!! and I found her apology weak...I wouldnt expect grovelling but I find there was no sincerity. I predict she will not be on the next series....you just can not push people too much in the current climate. She is just downright RUDE

I'd love to see Erika Doolan do it instead.

Deirdre: 'I have a great husband. He minds the kids and lets me do things like cook the dinner...' :eek:

I know what she meant, but it made me laugh all the same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Bet that next weeks episode will have Eva going to Charlotte's house and they'll be best buds. Same thing happened last year when she had a fight with another girl.

Bingo!!

I don't get why deirdre got the medal. She couldn't run, then when Kathryn asked her to walk with her, she told her no. Then when they doing sit ups, they showed one clip, and you could clearly see her in the background, being helped up and down my one of the army trainers. I thought all ther other leaders, put far better effort in, and did not moan and just go on with it. Gavin,did very well this week.You can clearly see the difference in him already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Charlotte has the most annoying accent in the world. Hope that's the end of the 'Dr Eva is a tyrant' nonsense. I really like her, I think she talks sense.
    The principal of that school in Cobh looked really young.
    Monica seems to be thriving the most in the show. She's the most inspiring of the leaders I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Great weight loses this week by all leaders! Really saw it in charlotte this weeK

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

Anyone doing the 5km run this Saturday in Phoenix Park? I registered but haven't received my number in the post yet, presume it'll arrive this wk! Has anyone got theirs yet?

• Advertisement

bb86 wrote: »
    Anyone doing the 5km run this Saturday in Phoenix Park? I registered but haven't received my number in the post yet, presume it'll arrive this wk! Has anyone got theirs yet?

They're being sent this week. AFAIK, some people got theirs this morning. Hoping mine is there when I get home this evening.

Advertisement