Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

operation transformation 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You'd swear she utterly failed rather than the reality of just being half a pound short of her target. Delighted she gave as good as she got to some utterly over the top criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Total bs this year Ava and co completely playing up to camera s

3.5lb of a weight loss is good
    Fair play to Charlotte hope she keeps going

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

What was Eva like there
    Well done to Charlotte losing something rather that putting it on is better that nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Quite contrary

Thwip! wrote: »
    Charlotte i believe, who is giving just as good back

I'm so glad she did. I thought Dr Eva, was far too harsh on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Delighted that Charlotte didn't take that from Eva and I think she made some excellent points - that she's making a lifestyle change, not just taking part in an 8 week program, and that she's doing it for herself and not for Eva. The criticism was unfair. 3.5lbs is a great loss, and there could be any number of reasons why she didn't lose that other half lb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This show is starting to annoy me with all it's scaremongering about childhood obesity and such. They should look at the children's parents first. I'd blame a mixture of all these "follow up" milks and other products that the experts are basically telling modern parents to feed their children (and the traditional foods to avoid) , and the health and safety conscience modern world. My granny would be doing some giving out if she was still with us. We were always well-fed, but were allowed wander the fields for hours at our own devices.

Another thing that annoys me, but I'm probably being pedantic about, is at these roadshows they have, the majority of people taking part in the demonstrations appear to be children under the age of 10. As if they're actually there to lose weight (although according the experts, childhood obesity is a scourge). They're doing what kids do, being active and having fun. You rarely see people there in need of watching their weight taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Well fair credit to Charlotte, a genuine person trying to do her best.

Totally agree with poster that Eva was only acting the b*itch in front of the camera and was totally out of order with Charlotte. Absolutely loved her comment to Eva on the lines of "I cry because I am an emotional person, maybe you don't cry"

Lovely comment!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

This show is turning out just like masterchef ireland, get the person to cry and they think it makes good tv. That blonde oul one done the exact same last year to another girl ...just really crap entertainment...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

deelite wrote: »
    Felt so sorry for her (been there myself).

Delighted with the 12 year old losing 2 stone brilliant. Is his mum following the diet too - did they say how much she had lost?

No mention of the mum's weight loss...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Carl was so up himself with his comment that drew Charlotte's tears in the first place and then Eva braun kicked her when she was down...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Carl looks really weird lately
    It's like he is so face is so over groomed or something

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Dr Eva was too hard on the poor girl, came across as a real trollop in my opinion.

Eva has always been like this though. I'm more surprised by Ken and his idiotic overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I do think Dr Eva was being a total gee bag and it was so obvious it was all for the cameras, she did the same last year with one of the girls, but in fairness, the girl last year deserved it. She was a lazy lump and went awol for a week at one stage.

However, I have to agree with Karl, at her age and weight, the excess weight should be falling off her. 3.5lbs is not a lot to lose at this early stage of her weight loss. In fact, I think the weight loss in general this year is pretty poor. I know slow and steady is the way to go, but at their size, they should really be losing a lot in the first few weeks and then plateau a bit. They all lost a lot in the first week and I think they’ve all slowed down massively. I honestly don’t think they’re exercising enough or with enough intensity. Karl’s workouts that they do look like there is very little effort in them and for the most part they aren’t even running yet, just walking at a pretty moderate speed of less than 5k in 45 mins. How are they supposed to run a 5k in 4 weeks?

The thing is though is that if losing 3.5lbs was such a bad result, why was a "mere" 4lbs the target for her to lose? If they expected her to lose much more then why not set the target at 5lbs or 6lbs? Their overreaction makes zero sense within the context of the target they set her.

I mean if there was anyone who should have got it in the neck it should have been Gavin (not that I'd condone talking to anyone like that). He is the heaviest and therefore, he should not only be hitting his target but doing it with lbs to spare. I think they picked on Charlotte because they knew she would give them the tears they wanted. It just so happened that Charlotte was more able for their BS than they expected.

The thing is though is that if losing 3.5lbs was such a bad result, why was a "mere" 4lbs the target for her to lose? If they expected her to lose much more then why not set the target at 5lbs or 6lbs? Their overreaction makes zero sense within the context of the target they set her.

I mean if there was anyone who should have got it in the neck it should have been Gavin (not that I'd condone talking to anyone like that). He is the heaviest and therefore, he should not only be hitting his target but doing it with lbs to spare. I think they picked on Charlotte because they knew she would give them the tears they wanted. It just so happened that Charlotte was more able for their BS than they expected.
    I totally agree with you, it was a massive over reaction and made zero sense when she was only under her target by .5lb, that’s nothing, you have to have a margin of error for weight loss, she could have been retaining some water or it may have been her time of the month which could explain the half a pound. It was obvious that it was only done for TV purposes and they suspected Charlotte would be good for the tears. They let Gavin off scot free with bailing out of the army training last week, if anyone deserved a bollocking, it was him.

I’m getting fairly sick of this series tbh. As previous posters have said, it’s all about X Factor style sob stories and no details of their diet and exercise plans. Plus, I stand by what I said earlier that the weight loss is fairly unimpressive this year when you consider the amount they have to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bet that next weeks episode will have Eva going to Charlotte's house and they'll be best buds. Same thing happened last year when she had a fight with another girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

When Dr. Eva was having a go at her she should have turned around and said "Yes Fuhrer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

.5 lb. .5lb id s**t .5lb...get a life dr eva and all the other condescending experts. bodies react in different ways and a diferent pace to the progs. it is not an exact science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

the year before last she had a go at some other young one, she either gained or didnt reach her target but it was cause she was on period, its like as if shes something against the young girls! Felt sorry for Charlotte last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

This show is starting to annoy me with all it's scaremongering about childhood obesity and such. They should look at the children's parents first.

I really don't agree with that at all, a lot of parents don't care about their own health, they know they are overweight and more likely to suffer from health problems, they know they are unfit and have resigned themselves to feeling old beyond their years forever, they are adults who have to make the decision themselves about whether they want to change their lifestyles or not.

It should be a no brainer when it comes to kids, parents should be ensuring that have healthy diets and adequate physical activity. It's not scaremongering, it's spelling out the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Does anyone else think that the reason they're not doing so well this year is that they're not putting enough effort into the exercises? It's hard to tell as we're not shown much footage of them on their own but when Karl met Charlotte at work and went through the reps with her she was totally out of breath and physically shaking with the effort. That's what it should be like all the time and if not they should be increasing the reps.

Anytime I've seen footage of the participants doing it they're smiling and joking and don't seem much out of breath.

I'm not being hard on them, I think it's amazing what they're doing. I just don't think they're been given enough support by the format of the programme. I've been following the exercises online, but because I do regular exercise and gym based classes I know how far I can push myself but it's very easy to just go really light on those toning exercises as well (especially when no one's watching!)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Meathlass wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the reason they're not doing so well this year is that they're not putting enough effort into the exercises? It's hard to tell as we're not shown much footage of them on their own but when Karl met Charlotte at work and went through the reps with her she was totally out of breath and physically shaking with the effort. That's what it should be like all the time and if not they should be increasing the reps.

Anytime I've seen footage of the participants doing it they're smiling and joking and don't seem much out of breath.

I'm not being hard on them, I think it's amazing what they're doing. I just don't think they're been given enough support by the format of the programme. I've been following the exercises online, but because I do regular exercise and gym based classes I know how far I can push myself but it's very easy to just go really light on those toning exercises as well (especially when no one's watching!)
    Exercise is important, obviously, especially for toning and general well being, but it doesn't make a difference on the scales. That's down to diet only.
    And the numbers on the scales are all that matters on this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Exercise is important, obviously, especially for toning and general well being, but it doesn't make a difference on the scales. That's down to diet only.

Fair point. It's so depressing that exercise doesn't make much difference to weight loss and diet is where it's at since I love the former and hate the latter!

It's a fair point to say that the leaders may not be pushing themselves as much as they can. Especially with those kind of exercises, it's easy not to do them "effectively" so to speak, I mean it's not like thumping a treadmill where you know you're going to get some kind of result.

I'd say that's why the contestants on the likes of The Biggest Loser get such dramatic results, because they're put on the treadmill and made to kill themselves from week 1.

I don't think it's accurate to say exercise doesn't make a difference on the scales. Diet is more effective in weight loss, but exercise will certainly aid weight loss.

I agree with Meathlass, they don't seem to be doing their exercises with any sort of intensity, I think this is a big part in why they aren't losing as much weight this year.

They also could be eating too much, but they are showing us so little of what they eat on the show that we don't know!

Meathlass wrote: »

It would make you wonder, if she will be able for the 5k run,when the time comes. If she cant even manage a few excerises with Karl. When you the see the likes of the biggest loser,it's all about excerise. Still don't think theirs enough on this show, as there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

There's a massive difference between the calories we consume and the amount of calories we lose to exercise, so we have to reduce what we consume to lose weight.

There's a massive difference between the calories we consume and the amount of calories we lose to exercise, so we have to reduce what we consume to lose weight.
    I agree 100%, but exercise still does aid weight loss. It's not really effective on it's own due to the volume of exercise we would have to do to lose weight. For example, I am currently running about 35 miles per week, that burns approx 3500 cals, which is equivelent to about 1lb loss per week. I could lose the same by cutting my calories by 500 per day, which is much easier to do than run 35 miles per week!

So yes, it is easier to lose weight by cutting calories, but I still don't think it's correct to say exercise has no effect on the scales.

• Advertisement

A collegue in work, informed me that, the facebook page had a lot of complaints about Dr Eva and Deirdre. And are deleting all complaints, after they are posted. She herself, complained about Dr Eva, and the comment was deleted , not long after.Are people not allowed express an opinion now.

Advertisement