Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bbj4q1pCMAEnqfk.jpg

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

^ Saw this too, I enjoyed it :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Great news, James McGee has made the cut to play the Australian Open qualifiers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Boris Becker is now Djokovic's head coach. Marian Vajda is still on the team but he'll be travelling less with Djoko. Interesting appointment. Hope it lasts longer than Sharapova-Connors team! :)

Apparently Nicole Vaidisova is now going out with Kvitova's ex Adam Pavlasek :D

edit: Which is significant because Petra is dating Nicole's ex-husband.

• Advertisement

Will Roger ever win another grand slam do yee think? just cant see it and thats a horrible thought

Raf32 wrote: »
    Will Roger ever win another grand slam do yee think? just cant see it and thats a horrible thought

He'd need a lot of luck, and I can only see it happening at Wimbledon. Basically he'd need to avoid 2 of the top 3 and try and recapture some of his old form in the final. Personally, I'd like to see him win one more and retire pretty much straight away afterwards.

If 2014 is as bad for Fed as 2013 was I can't see him playing on much longer, if it all. His ego is too big to suffer humiliation like that.

He'd need a lot of luck, and I can only see it happening at Wimbledon. Basically he'd need to avoid 2 of the top 3 and try and recapture some of his old form in the final. Personally, I'd like to see him win one more and retire pretty much straight away afterwards.

If 2014 is as bad for Fed as 2013 was I can't see him playing on much longer, if it all. His ego is too big to suffer humiliation like that.

Agreed think Murray might be his best bet if he had to face one the other big ones, would be horrible not to see him go out on a high and instead just slipping down the rankings, hope Nadal does not pass his total but looks likely.

On recent form I'd say Murray would be his worst bet to be honest! I think he's possibly the best grass-courter in the game right now.
    I don't want Rafa to overtake Fed either but even if he does I think most will still remember Federer as the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I actually think the US Open is his his best bet. The faster surfaces suit his game best, and the US is still the fastest of the Slams.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    I actually think the US Open is his his best bet. The faster surfaces suit his game best, and the US is still the fastest of the Slams.

Really? Even faster than the Wimbledon grass?? I doubt that. In fact according to the article I posted a page back (post #987) it was even slower than the Australian Open!

Anyway I doubt Roger will win another slam but it'd be great if he could. Winning another slam, particularly outside of Wimbledon, at this stage of his career would be a fantastic way to round things off.

Wouldnt it be fantastic if he could win on clay again against rafa? great way to sign ff but will never happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Really? Even faster than the Wimbledon grass?? I doubt that. In fact according to the article I posted a page back (post #987) it was even slower than the Australian Open!
    The US Open has been the fastest Slam surface for a long time now. In fact, when the new Oz courts were originally put down, Wimbledon became the third fastest (or second slowest) slam courts. They changed the grass a long time ago to a mix that slows the ball more when it bounces, and more compact clay to even the bounces more.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I always thought that the US open was the fastest slam surface as well.

I hope Federer does well next year, I fear if he doesn't we cold be saying goodbye to him this time next year and I really don't want that to be the case. There would just be such an enormous hole in tennis if he retired! I do think that he has won his last slam though, I wouldn't rule out a last run to a final but I think he has lifted his last slam trophy.

I suppose we will see where he is at soon enough, I personally don't think the players get half enough time off, it feels like the season just ended!

Quelle surprise, Piotr Wozniacki will be travelling with Caroline next season.
    http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/12/piotr-wozniacki-will-travel-caroline/50044/#.UrdSJ_RdXIF

Nadia Petrova has pulled out of the Australian Open following the death of her mother a few weeks back. Pironkova moves into the main draw. Ferrer has also split from his coach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is it maybe time to start the "2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread"?

Exhibition tournaments start in a few days. Andy Murray in action on St. Stephen's Day, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yessssssssssssssssss:D

screen-shot-2013-12-19-at-1-17-58-pm.png?w=640&h=608

Great news, Roger & Mirka have another baby on the way! :)

Hey guys, as qualies for next weeks tournaments are already underway I decided to start the new thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057111729

Advertisement